What’s the furthest you’ve walked to see the Rangers

When I was at Glasgow Uni I lived in Hillhead and walked from Ibrox a few times. I was usually pished which didn’t make it seem as far.
Depends if the bridge at the SECC was built but its a nice wee walk that. I used to walk from Partick and get the ferry over as a boy, then after getting pissed off at the number of times the subway was off I started to just walk it over the bridge.

I was back over on a summer trip years ago and was up at the in laws. The sun was splitting the sky. Asked the father in law if he wanted to go to Firhill for the game. Yip, he says, we can leave a bit earlier.

Take off about three hours before kickoff from Boydstone Road, Carnwadric. We start walking, past the first bus stop. We might as well walk till a bus shows up he said. I knew he was a big walker and it quickly dawned as bus after bus passed us of his intent. Six and a half miles later we made it to Firhill. He did cave in on the way back after a few pints in the town and agreed to take a taxi back.
Central station

Not to a game but after an away game in the lower divisions against Ayr I convinced my mates we could walk to Prestwick in 20 mins. 30 mins later we hailed a taxi to take us the remaining 2 miles!

Queen street to Ibrox is most I’ve done, could add in an extra mile from the house to the local train station as well.

walked with my mates from penicuik to easter road ,approx 30 miles there and back for a scottish cup tie (lost 3-2) in the late sixties due to a bus strike.what we`ll do to see the rangers WATP!

As a school boy, my Uncle would walk us from the Dundas Street bus station to Ibrox and same in reverse at full time. Seemed an awful long walk at the time.

I was back over on a summer trip years ago and was up at the in laws. The sun was splitting the sky. Asked the father in law if he wanted to go to Firhill for the game. Yip, he says, we can leave a bit earlier.

Take off about three hours before kickoff from Boydstone Road, Carnwadric. We start walking, past the first bus stop. We might as well walk till a bus shows up he said. I knew he was a big walker and it quickly dawned as bus after bus passed us of his intent. Six and a half miles later we made it to Firhill. He did cave in on the way back after a few pints in the town and agreed to take a taxi back.
Fir hill to see our reserves, two nights later to Ibrox for same.
From bridgeton.

Cardonald to Hampden and return, many a time. 5 miles there and 5 miles back, them were the days.

Last edited:
My old Grandfather used to walk us to the games from Newlands all the time, does not seem far now but when you are 7 it’s a fair slog ! That was 46 years ago nearly but still remember being told to “keep up “

Galston to Killie to catch the supporters bus, does that count?
Got there and the game was off because of snow as were the local buses hence the walk to Kilmarnock. Day in the pub ,buses ran later on so got home .

Never mind walking, got a phone call 10 minutes before kick off for the final in 2008 to say there was a ticket waiting for me at the ground, when I was in the centre of Manchester.
Couldn't get a taxi so ran all the way to the stadium, got into my seat not long after kick off and the sweat was pishing off me, given that I had been drinking for a few hours before that.

City Centre. Technically I didn't walk that far to see Rangers as I'd taken the subway but I did walk that way back to my hotel room after the game :)

I have often walked home to Calderwood from Hampden after a final via Busby! We won most of them so floated most of the way back.

Furthest I've walked...was in Pisa on honeymoon. The Gers were playing Livorno in Livorno, walked for hours trying to find the stadium in an attempt to get a ticket. Couldn't find the stadium, back to Pisa with a miffed wife.

That she didn't divorce me was surprising :D

Glenburn in Paisley to Ibrox to queue for a ticket. Left about midnight and got to stadium about 3am. Ticket office opened about 10am.

It was for an away game at Aberdeen and they humped us

The mate i did that walk with also posts on here

I’ve walked to Ibrox from the far end of paisley to queue overnight to get tickets for a sheep game when souness first arrived.

And I walked it with you. I was wondering if you remembered that lol

Speirs Wharf via city centre and then up the bloody Club Deck stairs :D
Or the City of Manchester Stadium to the city centre and back.

Furthest I've walked...was in Pisa on honeymoon. The Gers were playing Livorno in Livorno, walked for hours trying to find the stadium in an attempt to get a ticket. Couldn't find the stadium, back to Pisa with a miffed wife.

That she didn't divorce me was surprising :D
You can’t win them all.

@roffey did you not try walking from Ibrox home to Paisley along the M8 one time or am I thinking of someone else? :D
Yes mate, after a game vs Hearts. How the %^*& do you you know about that? :)) I must have told you in school.

Ended up in Govan police Station cells. The police said the only reason we didn’t get charged was because the other guy was a Hearts fan. When you’re 15 you don’t know shit :D

Yes mate, after a game vs Hearts. How the %^*& do you you know about that? :)) I must have told you in school.

Ended up in Govan police Station cells. The police said the only reason we didn’t get charged was because the other guy was a Hearts fan. When you’re 15 you don’t know shit :D

Aye, I'm sure you told me. One of those strange things that sticks with you even all these years later. :D

Mine's is John Street Glasgow to Hampden on several occasions as we often made finals/semi-finals.

Most vivid memory though was Scotland v Italy,famous John Greig goal as it was with my dad,only game he ever went to with me.

Can't help but remember his face when we got off bus at John Street and he asked me "what bus now" when I told him it was quicker to walk.

I've done it several times from Carnwadric to Ibrox. Way back then I didn't think much about it. Once I got to the Swan Inn I didn't it worth getting a bus.

Long, long time ago.

Back