15 Defoe
6 Aribo
5 Kent,Jack,Ojo
4 Arfield,Goldson
3 Katic,Stewart,Tavernier
2 Helander,Barisic
1 Davis,Kamara,Barker plus 2 og's

Brilliant post op !

Now could you go back and do the season before last so we can compare that one aswell? :p

I didn't want to bring them into it too much, but if we put where they were last season, against where we are now, we would be 8 points clear with 2 games in hand.

That's massively encouraging.

If we can keep this form going then any slip up from them piles on the pressure which is something that they are not used to.

Mindset is a massive part of where we are now. A few years ago you could see the players were shiting their pants in the tunnel before the game, we now have the mentally challengeds heading that way.
Excellent post btw.

Having done the Match Threads now for way too f*cking long a good few years, it had given me an insight into how the team progresses year on year, as I often have to go back to corresponding fixture in years gone by to get graphic assets etc. Last Friday's Stranraer game was a bit of an eye opener for me as it really brought it home just how much we have improved over last season. I was going to post then, but in the end I decided to wait for tomorrow nights game to draw the comparisons as they are both the 39th game of our season, and both fall on Match Day 22 in the Premiership.

This time last year we were looking to face Kilmarnock away for Match Day 22 of the Scottish Premiership.

YLwe0KQ.png

We had yet to win more than three games on the trot that season, a feat we managed just the once up until Match Day 22, with three wins against at home to Rapid Vienna (3-1), home to Hearts (3-1) and away to Hamilton (1-4). We would have to wait until the 6th of February before we managed four wins in a row, and until the 2-0 victory at home to Celtic on the 12th May before we managed to hit six in a row. All in all last season we managed to put together two runs of three wins, one run of four and one of six.

This year we are at home for Match Day 22, and things are looking a lot rosier.

WxGGAtY.png

We are on our fourth run of over five winning games, with one of them extending to a run of six, being denied the seven by the superb 2-2 draw away to Feyenoord. Our longest run without a victory was the three game run in December, drawing 2-2 away to Aberdeen, losing 1-0 at Hampden to Celtic in the League Cup Final before drawing 1-1 at home with Young Boys. Contrast with last season, where by this point last season we had repeated that feat three times and you can see how we have changed.

Now, let us take a look at the League Tables. We found ourselves coming into Match Day 22 sitting in second place behind Celtic on goal difference, although they had a game in hand.

rAgbuTN.png

This year, we once again find ourselves in second place, however this year we are the team with a game in hand, and we have the exact same goal difference.

pBBw0Qm.png

Let's take a closer look at our results over the two periods.

This time last year we had played twenty one league games, winning just twelve, drawing six and losing three. We had a goal difference of twenty seven and sat on forty two points.

PWfrkMj.png

This year, things are different.

1k6sJcn.png

We have played two games less at nineteen games, winning sixteen (four more than last season), drawing two (four less than last season) and losing the solitary one game (down two on last season). We have a goal difference of forty two (up fifteen goals on last season) and have a total of fifty points - that is an eight point increase on this stage last season despite having played two games less.

Looking across all competitions, we have improved in each and every one from last season. The League Cup - last season saw us fall at Hampden to Aberdeen 1-0 in the Semi Final, this season we reached the Final where we outplayed last years winners Celtic and were eventually defeated by an offside goal. The Europa League - Last season saw us leave the competition at the group stages. This season? We navigated a very difficult group with very strong opposition (Porto, Feyenoord and Young Boys) and made it through to the knock out phases where we will face Braga next month.

In total, across all competitions last season we had the following stats heading into Match Day 22:

noYeP7R.png

Now, have a look at this seasons stats from all competitions:

7VX1e89.png

What can I say, the improvement is there for all to see. A 50% reduction in games lost or drawn over last season. An approximate 50% increase in games won. 23 more goals scored, and 8 less conceded.

"What a difference a year makes" the saying goes. Not bloody half when you are talking about Rangers, and our continued improvement under Steven Gerrard and his Staff. Long may it continue, and I think it will, they will demand no less.

Things are looking good, we just have to hope we kick on now like we didn't last season. I don't think this current Rangers team and more especially Gerrard will allow anything but. 55 is coming, I can almost f*cking taste it.
Looks like a huge improvement. Well pleased and let the great work continue.

Those stats are very pleasing and really appreciate your efforts in compiling Doc.
I take great encouragement from such an improvement in the last year and am confident the improvement will continue to grow for the rest of the season culminating in 55 and the ultimate ensuing timplosion.

Good post Doc. This will enforce the belief that we are the real deal this season and SG / Management team can actually learn from mistakes made last season.

Great read. We've come on leaps and bounds in just 12 months. Gerrard and his team deserves all the praise they're getting from the fans. Consistency has been achieved. Just need to turn it into silverware. I'm sure he will.

We cannot be having the discussion on this magnificent article languishing down the board. Many may have missed it last night so here's their chance to catch up on it.

Cracking post!

On the one hand, delighted with the stats produced.

On the other hand, jealous of people who have so much time on their hands:p

We are now getting back to where performance and expectation of a Rangers team should be. Well, where I think normal expectation should be.

My boy is nine now and only been going since Pedro. He has no expectation of winning and thinks its just a good run. Hopefully he gets his first proper taste of silverware soon and realises how it is supposed to be.

Great post & article.

What a difference a year makes. Just go's to show that we are moving forward continually.

Another very valid point. Gerrard said when he came on board he would make mistakes, but he would learn from them and not make them again. Compare and contrast with "Do Plan A better".
Compare and contrast a football legend with a journeyman.

This is a great post and something I wouldn’t have thought about otherwise. I knew we had improved but not by what the stats show us.

This is down to Stevie G and his coaching team.

Yeah, love these type of threads.

Goalscorers.

Last year 67 goals after 38 games

20 Morelos
9 Tavernier
6 Arfield
5 Candeias,Middleton
4 Lafferty
3 Goldson,Kent
2 Grezda,Katic,Coulibaly,Ejaria
1 Jack,Halliday,Murphy plus an og

This year 90 after 38

28 Morelos
15 Defoe
6 Aribo
5 Kent,Jack,Ojo
4 Arfield,Goldson
3 Katic,Stewart,Tavernier
2 Helander,Barisic
1 Davis,Kamara,Barker plus 2 og's
Your difference is exactly made up of Defoe’s total and Morelos’ increase, which may have been helped by Defoe’s influence on him.

I've often thought that the desperation and pursuit of the title becomes all that we focus on. The next match, the next match etc.

Said to my brother at the weekend, you only have to look at opponents pre match comments and how they set up at present to realise that we have the fear factor back at the club, both home and away I might add.

Those figures are a reflection of how far we have come and how much Gerrard has improved us as a club and a team on the pitch.

Having done the Match Threads now for way too f*cking long a good few years, it had given me an insight into how the team progresses year on year, as I often have to go back to corresponding fixture in years gone by to get graphic assets etc. Last Friday's Stranraer game was a bit of an eye opener for me as it really brought it home just how much we have improved over last season. I was going to post then, but in the end I decided to wait for tomorrow nights game to draw the comparisons as they are both the 39th game of our season, and both fall on Match Day 22 in the Premiership.

This time last year we were looking to face Kilmarnock away for Match Day 22 of the Scottish Premiership.

YLwe0KQ.png

We had yet to win more than three games on the trot that season, a feat we managed just the once up until Match Day 22, with three wins against at home to Rapid Vienna (3-1), home to Hearts (3-1) and away to Hamilton (1-4). We would have to wait until the 6th of February before we managed four wins in a row, and until the 2-0 victory at home to Celtic on the 12th May before we managed to hit six in a row. All in all last season we managed to put together two runs of three wins, one run of four and one of six.

This year we are at home for Match Day 22, and things are looking a lot rosier.

WxGGAtY.png

We are on our fourth run of over five winning games, with one of them extending to a run of six, being denied the seven by the superb 2-2 draw away to Feyenoord. Our longest run without a victory was the three game run in December, drawing 2-2 away to Aberdeen, losing 1-0 at Hampden to Celtic in the League Cup Final before drawing 1-1 at home with Young Boys. Contrast with last season, where by this point last season we had repeated that feat three times and you can see how we have changed.

Now, let us take a look at the League Tables. We found ourselves coming into Match Day 22 sitting in second place behind Celtic on goal difference, although they had a game in hand.

rAgbuTN.png

This year, we once again find ourselves in second place, however this year we are the team with a game in hand, and we have the exact same goal difference.

pBBw0Qm.png

Let's take a closer look at our results over the two periods.

This time last year we had played twenty one league games, winning just twelve, drawing six and losing three. We had a goal difference of twenty seven and sat on forty two points.

PWfrkMj.png

This year, things are different.

1k6sJcn.png

We have played two games less at nineteen games, winning sixteen (four more than last season), drawing two (four less than last season) and losing the solitary one game (down two on last season). We have a goal difference of forty two (up fifteen goals on last season) and have a total of fifty points - that is an eight point increase on this stage last season despite having played two games less.

Looking across all competitions, we have improved in each and every one from last season. The League Cup - last season saw us fall at Hampden to Aberdeen 1-0 in the Semi Final, this season we reached the Final where we outplayed last years winners Celtic and were eventually defeated by an offside goal. The Europa League - Last season saw us leave the competition at the group stages. This season? We navigated a very difficult group with very strong opposition (Porto, Feyenoord and Young Boys) and made it through to the knock out phases where we will face Braga next month.

In total, across all competitions last season we had the following stats heading into Match Day 22:

noYeP7R.png

Now, have a look at this seasons stats from all competitions:

7VX1e89.png

What can I say, the improvement is there for all to see. A 50% reduction in games lost or drawn over last season. An approximate 50% increase in games won. 23 more goals scored, and 8 less conceded.

"What a difference a year makes" the saying goes. Not bloody half when you are talking about Rangers, and our continued improvement under Steven Gerrard and his Staff. Long may it continue, and I think it will, they will demand no less.

Things are looking good, we just have to hope we kick on now like we didn't last season. I don't think this current Rangers team and more especially Gerrard will allow anything but. 55 is coming, I can almost f*cking taste it.
I honestly thought we would have won it when Rodgers left the Dome and popcorn teeth came in.
lets hope we get it done this season.

@DocStone didn't Articles used to get posted on the front page of the FollowFollow website (not specifically the forum page) with a link to the article generally posted in the OP? The Home page seems to not have been updated for ages. Get your Article on there and a link in the OP.

Your article deserves as wide a distribution as possible.

I knew we were playing well but I didn’t realise just how well until you see the stats down in black and white. Thanks OP.

Let's hope we can get a big 10/12 run of wins going. With regard to the goals scored this year, I hope to see Tav adding another 6/7, Kent and Aribo getting double figures and Davis and Kamara getting 4/5 more. Could also do with barasic grabbing a few more and the central defence doing likewise.

If we share the goals a bit more then 55 is on.

The improvements brought by Gerrard and his team are a delight to see, not just on the park but also in terms of professional standards etc. We were a laughing stock at times prior to his arrival, but not anymore. Great to see.

It wasn't all that long ago that folk on here were still debating over whether or not we had been improving. Doubt there can be any more arguments now. Great post.

Great read DS. If we keep this form up, We will be champions come may. My heart is ready to burst just thinking about it. :))

One thing that could skew the stats would be the standard of opposition, but if anything we have had more difficult games this season - an extra game v Bheggars, probably a tougher Europa League group (although last year's also looked strong at the time) and I would say tougher qualifiers at least on paper (UFA turned out to be tough because of circumstances beyond how strong the opponents were).

Without checking I think we'll also have played a larger % of away games this season.

When you see the facts laid out in black and white like that it makes things as clear as day ,this is our year this is our time, thanks OP made me feel a lot better,a wee win tonight just for the continuity.
WATP

Long may the improvement continue. I look forward to the mother of all parties when 55 comes in this Spring! George Square and the rest of Glasgow will be bouncing!

We have progressed - no doubt about it!

The main thing that matters...... have we progressed enough? (We’ll find out in May)

Back