What an anti climax that was before the game

Also, we got in about twenty to and saw a few flags around our seats but no flags on our seats.
How were they distributed? Were ours half-inched?
Felt discriminated against.
(Isn't that how you get what you want these days?;)?

I genuinely don’t remember it being anything other than flag raised and then a round of applause. Someone can correct me if I am wrong
Last couple had card displays and the trophy out too. I think they also did it with the players on the pitch as well pre match.

Exactly this.

I've seen plenty of them in my 61 years.
I've yet to see anything other than a flag raising exercise.

Fireworks, FFS!
I'm sorry mate but have to disagree with you and I'll use your own post to say why. As you say you've seen plenty. There would have been thousands of kids in there who have never seen one at all.
So whilst it may have not been a great deal to yourself it could have been made so much better for them with minimal effort.

I've heard people say that our wage bill is now about £50m per season, only about £30m of that is on player salaries, for an SPL club about £20m on non-player salaries is far far too high.

Lets assume those figures are true (they aren't) but you use the term freeloaders when discussing the board.

Do you think that they take every penny that doesn't go to the players? Gerrard manages us from the good of his heart? the entire coaching team, medical teams, ground staff, reception, media/PR, Jimmy Bell and so on.

The last accounts mention that 151 non playing full time employees, and an average of 552 part time employees.

And members of our board who have been covering the losses over the years, they do that with their own money - but on the side sneak out the backdoor with 20m? There's plenty of things they can be criticized for, today being one of them, the ticket complete lack of a ticket office being another. But calling our board freeloaders isn't just out of order, it's just plain incorrect. Anyway, I don't want to take this thread wildly off-topic and I've said my piece, so I'll leave it at that.

It was utterly embarrassing tbh.

If only they put as much effort into this as they do banning media cabbages it might actually have been half decent today.

Had a bad feeling about the game from this moment onwards

I'm sorry mate but have to disagree with you and I'll use your own post to say why. As you say you've seen plenty. There would have been thousands of kids in there who have never seen one at all.
So whilst it may have not been a great deal to yourself it could have been made so much better for them with minimal effort.
Exactly. My youngest was t-minus 8 months when we last won the league.

I also saw one for the first time when I was a lad. I don't recall being bitterly disappointed.
I wasn't expecting anything else and I'm surprised that folk were.

My kids are all grown up now, but I certainly wouldn't have built up their hopes for an exciting flag raising fanfare if they were still bairns.

I also saw one for the first time when I was a lad. I don't recall being bitterly disappointed.
I wasn't expecting anything else and I'm surprised that folk were.

My kids are all grown up now, but I certainly wouldn't have built up their hopes for an exciting flag raising fanfare if they were still bairns.
Should tell that to the club.

Really don't see your problem here mate. It was pish end of story.

It should have been a real celebration of getting back to where we belong and our first title since administration. I really don't understand trying to make out it was just any old run of the mill one. I'm 41 and had a season ticket from near the beginning of our 9 in a row.

I've also plenty seen plenty but I'm realistic enough to admit this one should have been set apart as something special.

I expected something. Anything.

No speech from a director, no fireworks, no effort. Nothing.

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.
Discussed this after the game, huge anti-climax, outwith the flag being displayed for a mere minute if you're lucky what was the point of be there for 2.45 prompt.

I too expected an address from a club director along the lines of 'it had been a hard and challenging journey but we finally achieved our goal and won our 55th title etc' but not a thing from the club, what a let down and disappointment all round.

Last edited:
Should tell that to the club.

Really don't see your problem here mate. It was pish end of story.

It should have been a real celebration of getting back to where we belong and our first title since administration. I really don't understand trying to make out it was just any old run of the mill one. I'm 41 and had a season ticket from near the beginning of our 9 in a row.

I've also plenty seen plenty but I'm realistic enough to admit this one should have been set apart as something special.
With all due respect Sir, I've made it pretty clear I have absolutely no problem with it.

I'll have no problem when number 56 is raised next year too.

Absolutely agree for the first in a decade and thats all we got. Pretty poor we should have milked the occasion

Said likewise in another thread. Told my wee man who is 9 it was gonna be something special and he was asking me was that it.

Really poor from the club there were a number of things they could have done to make it more of a fitting spectacle. Even just introduced some players from the recent past before it as well would have went a long way.
Aye bring on Ian Black and Nicky Law would have got the fans bouncing

Was expecting so much more compared to previous flag days. Seemed so lacklustre & not much effort put into it. Look at 2010s flag day, a lot better atmosphere

Pishy half arsed effort I thought, side issue but Mr Park does not look like a well man, time for a lifestyle change I think. Definitely want him to see 56,57 and beyond.

I expected something. Anything.

No speech from a director, no fireworks, no effort. Nothing.

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.
Yep, utter crap. A poor, poor effort indeed.

More guys standing round the flag with hi-viz vests on than anything....struggled to get a pic without them in it. Was extremely basic but thinking on it, not sure what I was expecting. I assumed the flame throwers or fireworks would be out or maybe even the trophy but hey ho

I don’t really get what’s happened but the atmosphere has been awful the last 2 games.

Ibrox was bouncing for the OF, but on Thursday against a European giant the crowd were very downbeat from the start (compare to Porto, Feyenoord, etc). Today should have been a buzz of excitement - but the crowd didn’t even sing championi or ‘Glasgow Rangers champions’ when the flag was unfurled. Is it CL disappointment or is there a collective hangover from last year.

Absolute waste of time. Months and months to organise and they wheel out a flag pole from a car showroom for something that lasts 10 seconds

And wtf is that all about with flying the flag that way round?
Anno and three chubbsters in suits for the photo shoot. Embarrassing

Board deserve tremendous credit for getting some big decisions correct, but they really need to have an appreciation of the match day experience in general is.

Today summed up how interested they were in the fans experience. Still, at least Douglas got his wee photo raising the flag in front of everyone for the mantelpiece, harsh but true, that wasn’t for us today.

What the fùck was the point on that post?
Just a reminder of the recent past I think the past would have been better.
Coisty, DJ, Albertz, some of the Dutch lads Yeh would have been good.

Having read the thread I agree with the guys saying it was never a big deal, that's true in the 90s when titles and trophy were coming thick and fast. Flag unfurled, applause, game kicks off, Rangers win, fans go home continue getting blootered.

But the other posters have a point too. A lot of younger fans never seen us win anything for 10 years and the journey we went through. Should have been more and done at the Livi game probably.

All the previous flag days were the first game of the season, you could tell Gerrard was not interested in it now, he wants to change the mindset to this season.

Very disappointed, expected better after the long wait
most disappointing was that no one thanked us for the last nine years of solid support, this doesn’t cost any money

Back