What an anti climax that was before the game

They raised the flag walked back in played some shity music that drowned out the fans singing championes

But it wasn’t.

I wonder if Gerrard wanting to distance the players from the occasion (to concentrate on the game) had an affect?
Should have been a cup final, pre match build up with a bit more pomp and circumstance.
I'm not going to lie, I still loved it being raised and I particularly loved John Greig looking resplendent as ever and full of good health out there sharing the moment.

I've honestly no idea what some folk were expecting today, I found the build up it got pretty baffling. It was the same as "flag day" has always been. It's never really been a thing. The chairman unfurls the league flag, big cheer and applause, game kicks off.

People expected a proper flag pole with a flag being raised the right way up.

I don’t really get what’s happened but the atmosphere has been awful the last 2 games.

Ibrox was bouncing for the OF, but on Thursday against a European giant the crowd were very downbeat from the start (compare to Porto, Feyenoord, etc). Today should have been a buzz of excitement - but the crowd didn’t even sing championi or ‘Glasgow Rangers champions’ when the flag was unfurled. Is it CL disappointment or is there a collective hangover from last year.
The PA guy actively discouraged any atmosphere.
Why not play I'm feeling it that got the whole stadium rocking after the scum game.

Total damp squib.

At the very least I thought there might be wee flags given out. I have ones from previous flag days up in my garage.

The flag we unfurled looked cheap and it was the wrong way round

That's why I said weeks ago it should have been done at the first game.

Personally I wasn't allocated a ticket for the first game but I would still have rather it be done at Livi game.

Too many bitched and moaned about it, the club took notice and this is what it ended up as.

Memo to Club, Don't big up a flag day and then do nothing out the ordinary. To then load it onto a sack barrow and wheel it out the ground was amateur hour. Fair enough if the manger did not want a big thing made of it then at least let the paying customers know that beforehand.

Maybe I got the message wrong and was expecting something more with the "get in before 2.45" but had i known what was planned i would probably just have had another pint.

End of the day we stopped the tainted ten and were champions.
Don’t need a flag to remind me.

That's why I said weeks ago it should have been done at the first game.

Personally I wasn't allocated a ticket for the first game but I would still have rather it be done at Livi game.
Should have done flag Day, and then a Champions flag day today. Big tiffo , 55 saltires on every seat etc
Bit of an open goal in retrospect.
Tried to please the majority and ended up pleasing nobody

I'm glad I had my flag day back in April ..with flags and champagne and fireworks in the garden ..miles better than the effort I witnessed today at Ibrox..our support is really being treated with contempt

Lets assume those figures are true (they aren't) but you use the term freeloaders when discussing the board.

Do you think that they take every penny that doesn't go to the players? Gerrard manages us from the good of his heart? the entire coaching team, medical teams, ground staff, reception, media/PR, Jimmy Bell and so on.

The last accounts mention that 151 non playing full time employees, and an average of 552 part time employees.

And members of our board who have been covering the losses over the years, they do that with their own money - but on the side sneak out the backdoor with 20m? There's plenty of things they can be criticized for, today being one of them, the ticket complete lack of a ticket office being another. But calling our board freeloaders isn't just out of order, it's just plain incorrect. Anyway, I don't want to take this thread wildly off-topic and I've said my piece, so I'll leave it at that.
Our Directors don’t take and remuneration

See, that’s kinda how I remember it. I’m doubting myself simply because of some of the posts on here - but I don’t really remember there ever being much ‘razzmatazz’
How I remember it too. I think the issue was that we made a big deal of delaying so everyone could see it. Coupled with the management team not wanting to celebrate 55 anymore, focusing on 56, I can see why the club just did the same as before. If it had been the start of the season there might have been a bit more. 6 games in it ain’t the same.

Utter pish - the whole thing about rearranging the date created the hype but it it epitomised everything about how we are being treated Just now.

Reactions: VGM
I think it was played down because it's not the first game of the season and the team has to get down to business rather than dwelling on what was done, I do think that as far as the fans are concerned it backfired a bit as they were expecting a bit more of a hooha and it was very low key.

We would have had more passion on show if the two from the rat pack of Rangers haters at the SPFL chairman and Rangers hating rat MacLennan, and the Cinch bungling chief executive rat Doncaster were there to cop what they deserved.

I expected something. Anything.

No speech from a director, no fireworks, no effort. Nothing.

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.

Was it any different from other flag days of the past?

In hindsight, moving it was hubris. I appreciate it would have been shite doing it with only half the fans in, but a low key flag raising that day as an acknowledgment of those missing would have made much more sense.

I get the impression that as soon as Howe said no thanks ya bunch of wanks, and our board saw big Ange being greased through the front door of parkhead, that they lit cigars and assumed we'd be 9 points clear by now and could make flag day a big event.

It had the feel of an afterthought. Very muted and underwhelming. Not unexpected given that it was so far into the season. Could this have been done preceding the Malmo game instead?

surely (and I say this with a massive hint of sarcasm) the management at the club would have sat down and asked a simple question. What would the fans like?

am i wide of the mark here? Or, given the effort of having a flag raising day, they would have made some form of effort.
You been to many flag days? Been a few years since i have but cannot remember any speeches from directors. That is for trophy days.

It was embarrassingly lacklustre.

“Be in your seats early”

For that?
Not for that Flag.

We had the chance to make our own and that was the best? It looked like it came from the £1 Shop. On offer.

If nobody is going to say or do anything, at least raise a quality Flag as can all enjoy.

Bad start to a dreadful afternoon really.

Im not buying this “Gerrard wasnt interested in it as its done and focusing on this season” that trophy is in our cabinet for the full season cause we earned it. Theres kids out there that have never seen us win a league title, never seen the thing in person. At the very least they should of had the team walk out with the trophy. When it got to 14:57 and there was heehaw on the pitch i knew it wasnt going to be anything special but ffs didn't think it would be that underwhelming.

Gerrard specifically asked for it to be low key.

This was explained pre-match on RTV.

Gerrard didn’t have to go into a workplace full of tims after being papped out by Progres or 5-0 down after 54 mins at the paedo dome. As much as I love him, I can’t agree with gerrard on this one.

I don’t think Gerrard wanted a hullabaloo to many in the squad living off the memories of 55.

Isn't it always just the chairman raising the flag? What did people expect? Fireworks, cheerleaders, a marching band, a fly past from the red arrows? How much excitement can be generated about raising a flag for a title that was won nearly 7 months ago?
Exactly.

Doesn’t help people like me arranging plans to get there early. Why not say this during Friday presser?
“The flag unfurling will be quite low key, so people shouldn’t bother coming early”

Fucking grow up man.

You're
I genuinely don’t remember it being anything other than flag raised and then a round of applause. Someone can correct me if I am wrong
You're correct. However, this was the open goal the management had to milk a wonderful achievement to try and generate the feel good factor by doing something a wee bit different. But they failed spectacularly.

Back