What are some Scottish-only phrases or sayings you hear when talking about football

Mdiz

Looking for examples of Scottish-specific phrases to do with football or used when talking about football. Ones that your average football fan outside of Scotland wouldn't have a clue about.

Example - scunnered.

There must be a load more, but I can't think of any at this point in time.

Looking for examples of Scottish-specific phrases to do with football or used when talking about football. Ones that your average football fan outside of Scotland wouldn't have a clue about.

Example - scunnered.

Lots of posts on here lately saying they are “Baffult” with various things regarding the club.

Being upset at diving or using sneaky tactics to win is a British/Scottish thing from what I can tell.

Which would be nice if it was enforced elsewhere, but a disadvantage when it isn't.

Gers player plays a simple ball out of play....
Shouts of "Aye, wait an' ill get it ffs!".

"Get Alan McLaren aff, he's clearly jiggered" (usually after 4mins into the game!).

If there's a thread about Scottish football on here, you can bet your ass that the terms 'backwater' and 'hammer throwers' will appear within the first page.

Wan ae yeeeeeez!! If 2 players are near the same ball.

"I want a bastard, someone who is going to scream in his team mates face"

The latter is maybe more FF...

Saying a player has "Sclaffed it" (but I'm sure this is a golf thing as well).

Calling the pitch the "park".

Screaming "Get fucking intae them" when you have decided 8 attacking players isn't good enough.

Re managers: "getting his jotters", "shoogly peg" and "Cutting their cloth"* are all very Scottish.

*"Cutting your cloth" was a favourite of Eck the Freckle. Which annoyed me as the phrase is "Cut your coat according to your cloth".

"Thats a bye kick".
"Get it up the fkn park".
"Get fkn intae them".
"That baw's gonny come doon wi' snow on it".
"That wis a ferr shoulder charge"

Example - scunnered.

Ya fukin lady's front bottom

Back