What next for Hagi when he regains fitness?

Boabinho

Apologies if this has been covered, I've not seen a thread on the topic.

Apparently he's in light training and looking to be ready to play again in November/December.

Do you think he will fit in with Gio's plans/team/tactics?

I'm pretty sure most fans think he's a very good player with zero pace. Is that going to be good enough for him to merit a slot?

I personally think he's definitely got the quality to fit in, and would probably provide another option on the right other than Wright, or be in competition for a place with Tillman.

He may well regain fitness at a very good time because near the end of the year our squad will be thoroughly tested and there will need to be rotation, so I'd imagine most players will get a chance to play.

Thoughts?

I prefer him central but i think he might need to settle for a place on the right as he will have some serious competiton for the no10 role.

I really like Hagi but I cant see a place for him unless he comes back better than he was. I dont know how that's possible.

initially he will be backup to Tillman until he gets his chance to show he should be ahead of him. So essentially to make our bench stronger

I was starting to really like him then he got injured, he’s better in the middle of the park than out wide as he doesn’t have the pace for out wide.
Hopefully when he comes back to playing we get the Hagi against Braga type performances.

I definitely prefer him as a 10, but I agree he’ll have quite a job replacing Tillman.

It is a squad game though and we’ll have plenty of scope to use the squad.

I’d imagine he’ll get some minutes in cup games and less pressured league games so there will be a need for Tillman to be rested.

He was brutal for us before his injury last season and his (good) "numbers" are a myth.

Yet he clearly has talent. What is his best position? He got a crack at 10, midfield and our wide and failed to nail down any of them. Backup to Tillman seems most obvious but he is not near Tillman's level in my view.

He's been here a while now and failed to establish himself as a first pick. Essentially a squad player in that case.

Last edited:
Don’t see a place for him in this squad anymore.

Lawrence and Tillman far better players.

Still can’t believe we played him RW hahaha Davis looked faster at 37.

He was brutal for us before his injury last season and his "numbers" are a myth.

Yet he clearly has talent. What is his best position? He got a crack at 10, midfield and our wide and failed to nail down any of them. Backup to Tillman seems most obvious but he is not near Tillman's level in my view.

He's been here a while now and failed to establish himself as a first pick. Essentially a squad player in that case.

Not looking to argue, but how can his numbers be a myth if they're literally on the record?

He was brutal for us before his injury last season and his "numbers" are a myth.

His numbers aren’t a myth though.

They’ve been posted in detail on here to show how important he was.

I was starting to really like him then he got injured, he’s better in the middle of the park than out wide as he doesn’t have the pace for out wide.
Hopefully when he comes back to playing we get the Hagi against Braga type performances.
The way we've been playing this season actually makes me think he could do well on the "right" for us. Because whoever has played there has been coming infield to leave space for Tav, Borna has been more reserved in his forward runs to counter this.

I just can't wait to have the Romanian Prince back involved tbh

Not looking to argue, but how can his numbers be a myth if they're literally on the record?
The notion that he has good numbers is a myth from last season is what I should I have said in that case.

How many goals and assists did he get last season before he got injured in January?

Was one of our best players before he got injured, going by assists passes etc.
Prefer him as an attacking midfielder & hoping he hits the ground running because the games will come thick & fast.

The notion that he has good numbers is a myth from last season is what I should I have said in that case.

How many goals and assists did he get last season before he got injured in January?

4 and 4 in 27 games (not sure how many of that he started)

I wasn't a huge fan of him in the RW position last year but he did always seem to be affecting games in some way. There is clearly so much talent there that we need to unlock.

Get the impression Gio absolutely loves him so I suspect he will feature once fit.

I hope he returns and thrives, obviously, but I fear for him a little. If he's lost any more pace then it's going to make it virtually impossible to play at the required level.

If his fitness and mobility are still at the same level then he can absolutely make a difference to our squad.

Hopefully we get a bid in January for him imo
I cant see anyone paying a fee for a player out so long, although if it came in Id take it.

The problem is hes going to come back around the time of the break which means he wont really get playing until the New Year Id think and even then itll take a while given how bad the injury was and how long hes been not playing.

We'll be lucky to see him as was before next season and even then...

Competition for Tillman and Lawrence.

The formation we played on Saturday, with one holding and two attacking mids roaming would be ideal for Hagi I think. We don't really have any other midfielders that can play that role, with the exception of maybe Arfield, and potentially Lowry.

It will be some time before we see him back in the first team pool, which is such a shame.

It’s to be hoped he eventually comes back a stronger player, he was worth watching before his horrible injury.

Amount of people that write Hagi off on here is incredible tbh.

Go back and watch the goals from 55. The boy scored a lot of important goals at crucial parts of the season, and created many more. Won two matches alone that season with 1-0 victories.

Will be like a new signing for us, and would be a better option on the right at the moment in terms of movement, chance creation and goals contribution. A front 6 that involves in some way Hagi, Čolak, Kent, with Tillman, Lawrence and Lundstram behind them could be superb.

Can't wait for his return.

Amount of people that write Hagi off on here is incredible tbh.

Go back and watch the goals from 55. The boy scored a lot of important goals at crucial parts of the season, and created many more. Won two matches alone that season with 1-0 victories.

Will be like a new signing for us, and would be a better option on the right at the moment in terms of movement, chance creation and goals contribution. A front 6 that involves in some way Hagi, Čolak, Kent, with Tillman, Lawrence and Lundstram behind them could be superb.

Can't wait for his return.
In the same vain mate go and look at the last half dozen games he played before he got injured he was honking and dropped.
I think weve moved on a bit with the players whove came in i see him struggling to get in the team and maybe moved on.

It still wrecks my head a bit people speak about players playing "right" like they are simply hostage to that position.

When Hagi was part of the group behind a forward under Gerrard and Gio he would pop up all over the place.

Hagi as the player in front of Tav is a very decent link, it allows him the chance to cheat and use Tavs pace some focus so much on

In the same vain mate go and look at the last half dozen games he played before he got injured he was honking and dropped.
I think weve moved on a bit with the players whove came in i see him struggling to get in the team and maybe moved on.
Definitely seemed guilty of trying to impress the new manager too much and form dipped because of this.

He's got such a mature head on him - hopefully this has been the reset he needed and can come back and hit the ground running.

Deserves the chance either way.

It still wrecks my head a bit people speak about players playing "right" like they are simply hostage to that position.

When Hagi was part of the group behind a forward under Gerrard and Gio he would pop up all over the place.

Hagi as the player in front of Tav is a very decent link, it allows him the chance to cheat and use Tavs pace some focus so much on
Cheat at what? You mean diving about?

Cracking player who will thrive with better players around him. Sees passes others don't and will now have players around him on the same wavelength.

This thread will turn into a Hagi haters fest. Same old shite from same old folks who aren't happy unless they are venting about a player they have an irrational dislike for.
I've always liked Hagi. He didn't have a great start to last season but the whole team was terrible.

I thought he was coming onto a game when he got injured.

I reckon he'll find it tough to replace Tillman but competition is always healthy and it's a squad game. I think he has too much quality and too much to offer to be discarded, and I don't think that will happen.

I've always liked Hagi. He didn't have a great start to last season but the whole team was terrible.

I thought he was coming onto a game when he got injured.

I reckon he'll find it tough to replace Tillman but competition is always healthy and it's a squad game. I think he has too much quality and too much to offer to be discarded, and I don't think that will happen.
I think we might find a way to play them both Boabinho. Hope so anyway. It will be after New Year before he is fully fit I reckon. He needs to be cut a bit of slack when he comes back. He's been out a long, long time.

IMO he’ll be moved on next summer

Before the injury although Gio was playing him, it was a head scratching decision as his performances were pretty consistently poor

Apologies if this has been covered, I've not seen a thread on the topic.

Apparently he's in light training and looking to be ready to play again in November/December.

Do you think he will fit in with Gio's plans/team/tactics?

I'm pretty sure most fans think he's a very good player with zero pace. Is that going to be good enough for him to merit a slot?

I personally think he's definitely got the quality to fit in, and would probably provide another option on the right other than Wright, or be in competition for a place with Tillman.

He may well regain fitness at a very good time because near the end of the year our squad will be thoroughly tested and there will need to be rotation, so I'd imagine most players will get a chance to play.

Thoughts?
I think it’s pretty clear that he’ll never play another game for Rangers. It’s a shame. Clever player, too slow for modern football.

Could see him and Tillman as our starting 10 and right-winger and switching throughout, Tavernier providing the width out there.

Or he could play as an 8, he has the passing ability to orchestrate games from deeper. His lack of pace is always a concern, especially if you're wanting him in midfield though.

I think his passing range/flicks in behind Colak would be very fruitful for us. But you've got Lawrence and Tillman in there now too. Not the worst headache to have I suppose.

Back