What next for Hagi when he regains fitness?

Mental how some people don’t recognise the number of games we play in a season. We can’t ask Tillman/Lawrence to play every week and we need quality in the ranks to step up rather than shitting ourselves every time a player drops with an injury.

Can't see his future with us. Tillman is far better and he looked like he'd lost a yard before his injury for whatever reason. Seen milk turn quicker than him.

Ianis also lacks true body strength too.

Fantastic vision & willingness to take on tough passes, but with Tillman, Lawrence, Arfield & Lowry all in that area of the field I have to think there are big risks about his ability to get game time going forward too.

We have played a 4-1-4-1 in the last 2 games which has been really successful. No reason why Hagi cant play alongside Tillman with Lundstram doing the holding role.

Kent/Matondo - Tillman/Lawrence - Hagi/Arfield - Wright/Sakala

Lundstram/Jack​

I think he's one of the most unique lads we've had in a long while. Would love to see him drop a wee touch deeper and play more as a classic 8. Off the ball he's got some dig, I think he could do really well there.

I think we might find a way to play them both Boabinho. Hope so anyway. It will be after New Year before he is fully fit I reckon. He needs to be cut a bit of slack when he comes back. He's been out a long, long time.
Definitely, though that's waaaaaaaay too sensible for on here!

He'll probably start making sub appearances then hopefully start cup games.

Will take him a few months to get up to speed even when he is fit, but Gio seemed to really rate him before his injury so you'd have to imagine he's going to do his best to get him involved again. Hagi is more than talented enough to make himself a useful part of our squad and young enough to get back from the injury he suffered, I'd back him to be a useful player for us the second half of the season, especially as the world cup break will allow him to basically get a pre-season in before it.

His stats up to the injury make some reading where he featured in the starting XI.
Since the loss to Hamilton Accies at Ibrox March 2020 he has started 53 games - Won 40 Draw 13.

During the same period (8/3/20 - 21/1/22) the games which he didn't start (38) - Won 24 Drawn 4 Lost 10.

Can't be coincidence, can it?

Get him back in the starting line-up pronto. ;)

I'm pretty sure Gerrard would have loaned him out. I'm not too sure what Gio will do. His competition is Tillman and Lawrence so he's not going to have it easy.

Sell him. Tonight proved we have so many forward players it's unreal said nobody. FFS welcome back Hagi ASAP.

I often wonder if Hagi could play one back in that attacking mid position from a deeper role.
In games where we're currently trying Lundstram + one other holding mid, but pushed up, I think he could work well here.

Apologies if this has been covered, I've not seen a thread on the topic.

Apparently he's in light training and looking to be ready to play again in November/December.

Do you think he will fit in with Gio's plans/team/tactics?

I'm pretty sure most fans think he's a very good player with zero pace. Is that going to be good enough for him to merit a slot?

I personally think he's definitely got the quality to fit in, and would probably provide another option on the right other than Wright, or be in competition for a place with Tillman.

He may well regain fitness at a very good time because near the end of the year our squad will be thoroughly tested and there will need to be rotation, so I'd imagine most players will get a chance to play.

Thoughts?
In answer to the subject

He’ll be like a new signing given time

Hagi seems to be the only player in our squad who's stature doesn't grow to mythic proportions the longer he's out. The opposite in fact seems to have happened, people seem to completely discount his impact and demand we sell him a few months after a near 12 month lay off :D. Lunacy.

Honestly, he'll need to time to regain his fitness and strength. It's a long time he's had off but he appears to be working his arse off to get himself back in top shape. I'm not expecting him to come in and start deciding games on his own in the first couple of months. The fact there's such a long break mid season could play into our hands in that regard. He basically will get a mini pre season for the start of the second half of the season and that could prove crucial to his reintegration back into the side. If Tillman's form persists he'll be on a plane to Qatar with the USA. Lawrence might be too with Wales. Our players who go to the WC will need time off before coming back into the fold. Hagi returning in time for that could prove crucial.

I'm not expecting big things from Hagi this season, think we'll need to be patient with him. I do think he'll be a very good and useful squad player the end of season run in.

Hagi,before his injury,was always the player I thought we could sell for a decent fee without it having a major impact on us,nothing has changed my mind.

The only hurdle for him will be how he returns from injury, clearly highly rated by Gerrard and Gio, so much so he was played out of position.

I'm sure every manager wants 2 for every position so if we play with 2 numbers 10s he, Lowry, Tillman and Lawrence fulfill the need.

Unfortunately for Ianis it will take time for him to get upto speed once he is fully recovered, horrible injury for anyone, that being said a fully fit Ianis Hagi and on top of his game gets plenty of game time for us, fighting for a starting slot can only be good for him and the players wearing the jersey he wants.

Undoubtedly we have injuries so he will get his chance. Up to him to grab it and make the jersey harder for the other guy when he returns.

Great problem for the club to have.

Back