What positions will Clement want to sign players in ?

Stepupandplay

Butland, Mcrorie
Tav, blank ?
Goldson, Balogun
Souttar, Davies
Yilmaz, blank ?

Sterling, Blank ?
Diomande, Raskin
Cantwell, Lawrence, Hagi

Cortes, Mcausland, Wright
Dessers, Danilo,
Sima, Matondo

Left out - players who's contract is up roofe, jack, lundstram, barisic, Silva.
Along with youth players devine, yfeko, rice, king, fraser, Lovelace, lowry

Maybe the manager will move Sterling to RB or look to sell Davies etc. This isn't about a starting 11 or transfer rumours or who you want to see come or go. We'd all like to see 7 or 8 new players I'm sure.

Looking to see what positions we think Clement is targeting next season ?

The way I've wrote it down it looks like he might be in the market for a LB, RB, DM and maybe a loan ST.

Worth nothing that, in his first season at Club Brugge, he brought in twelve players and shipped twelve players out.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

At Monaco, 5 in, 12 out (inc loans)

He is not afraid to mix things up rather than trying to work with a broken squad

We’ve had a small sample size of him

The summer will tell us a lot over how he views the squad which will make or break the first 6 months of his season

I reckon they’ll be at least one CB, Jefte for LB, two CM’s, 3 maybe 4 wingers and a striker.

Then replace whoever leaves after the OOC players have gone.

In my opinion I would like to see

2 CH
RB
LB (2 If Yilmaz goes)
2 CM
A number 10 (Sell at least 1 between Lawerence,Cantwell and Hagi)
2 or 3 wingers (Excluding Cortes) and a natural right winger is a must
And a number 9

Maybe a couple of Scottish players somewhere.

Worth nothing that, in his first season at Club Brugge, he brought in twelve players and shipped twelve players out.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

He is not afraid to mix things up rather than trying to work with a broken squad
Interesting. Do you have a list of those transfers?

Gonna need alot more incomings than 3 + loan

Why would we loan our new first pick striker? Roofe frees up
£30k/week in wages, Lammers will be offski too, and Silva, Dessers aint cutting it as we can all clearly see with his many misses (1 in 4 striker). Jury is still out on Danilo. So we likely need 2 new strikers min.

Just about every positon. Therein lies the problem with our summer transfer window, going to be a serious baptism of fire for Koppen

Gonna need alot more incomings than 3 + loan

Why would we loan our new first pick striker? Roofe frees up
£30k/week in wages, Lammers will be offski too, Dessers aint cutting it as we can all clearly see with his many misses (1 in 4 striker). Jury is still out on Danilo. So we likely need 2 new strikers min.
I actually forgot about lammers.

I'm steering clear of speculation about players or my opinion on who I would like to sign. Trying to guess what the manager might do instead.

If the January signings are anything to go by we could strengthen or replace all over the pitch!

Dio and Cortes (pre injury) look like two young talent players who will grow with quality and experience around them.

The wage bill could see a significant increase getting rid of some out of contract players and as a result I wouldn’t be surprise if the loan to buy option is looked at again.

Feel like we need a complete refresh and I’d only really want to hold on to the following(long term)

Buttland
Tav??
Souttar
Baloguin(would give another year)
Yilmaz

Sterling
Diomande
Cortes
Cantwell
Mccausland
Sima

Seems like Phil and team understand it’s not a quick project so could take 2 full transfer windows to see a whole new rangers.

Dessers/Danilo - Not sure Danilo is any better but the big man’s not a starting no9 but deserves credit even if he can be frustrating.

We need a quality DCM, CB, ST , RW along with young back up pushing starting 11.

A lot to hopefully look forward to!

Front 3. Centre mid, centre half as an absolute minimum.

All need to be starting quality, it’s a tough ask.

At Genk, 10 in and 7 out

Good post. In fairness to big PC, he has been working with a broken squad since he got here.

Going by those numbers above, he will almost certainly be ripping our squad up over the summer, or will be doing as much as any budget restraints allow. Which we totally need to be doing, it is long overdue even.

Canny wait.

The back four. Probably midfield. And definitely all across the front three. And obviously a goalkeeper if Butland is sold for big bucks.

Balogun needs let go.

Starting a season with potentially Tavernier, Goldson, Balogun, Souttar, Davies and Yilmaz is a no for me. Yilmaz doesn't seem to be very robust and is a sell able asset. Davies is way out the picture.

The defence like midfield and attack needs addressed.

3 Leaders in the central positions. Defence, midfield and striker first for me. It will be amazing how some players we thought were completely done for will improve with leaders in the team.

Then it’s got to be wingers.

Ooc you're looking at,
Kieran Wright, Balogun, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram, Roofe, Lovelace, Silva, Sima and Cortes currently iirc.

Even if we retain for talking sake on a really ambitious note, Balogun, Sima and Cortes that's still seven out for starters.

Then you're looking at Lammers, Hagi, Devine, Lowry and King who I'd be amazed if any are here when the window shuts.

Before we try to punt any players in contract who's really played any sort of reasonable minutes at all there will imo be likely twelve out the door, albeit some of those already out on loan or barely played.

I said years ago when Gerrard took over we'd ship about sixteen players out and a few posters scoffed at the thought.

It'll happen again this summer. Regardless of what people want to think.

In general he'll be looking for youth, legs, hard work, attitude and pace in about 5/6 positions in the first team. He'll also need strength in depth for the squad

Specifically the first team needs two midfielders, two centre backs and a left back and a centre forward - possibly a wide forward depending what happens with Sima

A lot will depend on who leaves of course, but I'm fairly optimistic about what he might build

Every position.
McCrorie and McLaughlin will leave to get 1st team football
Ridvan Davies Goldson will be sold King will leave to get first team football and Barasic is out of contract.
Lundstram and Jack are out of contract and Wright Dowell Matondo Raskin will be sold.
Silva loan is finished Roofe is out of contract Lawrence will be sold along with Dessers and Lammers and Sima coming back is 50/50.

It's going to be a exciting summer

everyone-gary-oldman.gif

Much easier and quicker to pick who to keep.

We need extensive work on the full squad.

Lots of non performers and players just making up the numbers.

Depressing to think how poor some of this squad is

2 cb, lb, 2 cm, 2 rw, lw, st. That's bare minimum assuming no players regarded as first 11 also go, Butland for example. Sima and Cortes may be 2 of the 3 wide players, Matondo won't be going anywhere as I think Clement feels he can offer something.

Out:
McCrorie (maybe), McLaughlin, Barisic, Goldson (if we get a buyer with his injury), Davies, Lundstram, Hagi, Jack, Wright, Cifuentes, Lammers, Roofe, Silva.

New Contract / Loans Extended:
Balogun, Sima, Cortes

Positions Needed:
Backup GK & RB (long term Tav replacement), at least one starting CB, LB to challenge Ridvan, defensive midfielder, playmaker, big bastard striker with a head like Mark Hateley and the touch of an angel.

So I get 7 new signings needed and a load of players leaving. Could well see Raskin and maybe Ridvan sold too. Not ideal.

I think he will be looking at all positions.

We need to stop relying on Tavernier creating and scoring goals.

Dessers has a decent number of goals this season but I believe if we had a more aggressive main striker we would be champions this weekend.

It's obvious he wants the defence squeezing the game high up the park but we don't have the pace in central defence. So at least 2 x centre backs with pace.

Borna leaving so need at least 1 left back.

He's commented on us not having the midfielders to play like he wants. We got 1, will defo need more with Lundstram leaving.

We definitely need new wingers and new CFs

Think whatever happens hinges on whether we win the league or not and get the CL money.

Have to go due to contract being up, form going downhill or injury prone
McLaughlan, Balogun, Davies, Goldson, Barisic, Jack, Lundstram, Hagi, Wright, Roofe, Dessers, Cifuentes, Lammers, Matondo, Silva, Dowell, Yilmaz

Outwith Balogun, Goldson, Barisic, Lundstram and Dessers we've not had anywhere near a good return in the past two seasons from any of the others in terms of appearances

Do we think that the way we set up currently (4-2-3-1) is the way he wants to play going forward, or is it borne out of necessity due to the players we have?

Back