What would you change about football?

I'd go back to one team from each country for the 'Champions' league. The current version has massively contributed to the demise of football outwith the 5 big leagues.

I would also like to see something done about the blatant cheating in football. They should be treated the same as drug cheats because they are trying to influence results as the dopers are in other sports.

I would like to see maybe a coaches challenge if you don’t have VAR. could maybe include time outs but think it would turn stop and start a lot

1point for 0-0 2points for a score draw?

Sin bin, although we'd end up naming ours "Where Morelos sits".

yellow card for walking away with ball when its a decision for the other team
no card for taking top off or celebrating with fans.
keepers to take kickouts from the side of the goal it went out
referees to answer on decision making

Do away with nation coefficient for CL, EL. Really annoying when a team from a big country qualifies for the first time and goes straight into the last qualifying or even group stage. Whereas we could get into the knockout stages for a few years in a row, but start in the qualifying rounds because the Sheep. Motherwell etc can't beat the likes of Lincoln Red Imps.

Not so much a change to the rules, just one in particular I'd like to see enforced properly, which is 'feigning injury'. Football authorities have gone to decent lengths to try and clamp down on diving. Still goes on obviously but, it's nowhere near this. It makes some of the bigger games unwatchable for me.

A consistent approach to stopping time wasting. Thoroughly sick of watching us against the dross of the SPFL as they take 30 seconds per throw in, same for free kicks, bye kicks etc. We all know it's designed to stop the flow of the game as they think that gives them a better chance. Problem is it's detrimental to Scottish football in the whole.
Much as I beneficent the ref's are too lenient on it up here I'd love to see some new rule that adequately punished time wasting such that it wouldn't be worth doing it.

Scrap VAR
Spending caps on transfer fee's/wages
End political/social sloganeering, it's a sport not a political platform.

I’m sure there was thread about this a good few years ago with shouts for things like VAR. Now that we have it are there other changes people would like to see.

I’d like to see a British Premier League and Championship. The other leagues would act as feeder leagues.

A draft system like NFL. This would be long term project but could be beneficial. I’d propose that a central kitty is assembled from associations and TV money and every player is paid the same across all leagues from that money. No trading of draft picks.

I’d have a full squad on the bench. 3 pro subs and 2 young pros (eg U21, less than 30 appearances or less than 1500 mins playing time).

I'd like shielding the ball out of play to be obstruction. I dislike this move and feel it would be the game more entertaining and generate more aggression if players had to use their skills to play to safety

Standing in front of the ball at a free kick and/or not retiring 10 yards - red card.
It would stop overnight.

To encourage teams to try and score . Football is all about entertainment and goals provide entertainment. Teams come to Ibrox with no intention of trying to score so this would help us
That's daft. Football is about winning. Also don't understand how are scoreless draw can't be entertaining? Why not get rid of goalkeepers and defenders. Defending is as much a part of the game as attacking

Stop the clock as Post# 8. Will stop the time wasting that blights the game. They manage to do it in all forms of rugby so why not footy.

True, but from what little I've watched of Rugby lately there is a hell of amount of time wasted on setting up for a kick at the posts (penalty or after a try). Has that changed?

Not a change but I would love the linesmen to do their jobs at goalies kicking the ball upfield from their hands.

Watch how often their hands and the ball is outside the box when contact is made.
Should be a free kick to opposing team just outside the 18 line and a booking for the goalie.

That's daft. Football is about winning. Also don't understand how are scoreless draw can't be entertaining? Why not get rid of goalkeepers and defenders. Defending is as much a part of the game as attacking

it’s not that it can’t be entertaining but 1/2 point for goalless draw would encourage teams with 10 mins to go to both go for the win.

True, but from what little I've watched of Rugby lately there is a hell of amount of time wasted on setting up for a kick at the posts (penalty or after a try). Has that changed?
Not just the penalties they really need to sort out the time taken to set scrums, bloody awful. Generally though time wasting in footy is shocking, even Greegs and his shithousery. TV might not like it but they seem to put up with it.

Goal kicks have to be taken from the side that the ball goes out. That’ll cut some time wasting.

Two changes for me :
Lessen the money involved in the elite side of the game.
Get proper defensive tackling back without fear your gonna get a red card even if you win the ball

No throw ins or out of bounds.

Ball is in play for the full 45mins per half

Spending cap.

How would that even work mate lol. You'd either need big walls like an indoor football court, or you would have players diving into the copland trying to win the ball back off supporters.

Would be some laugh watching Scott Brown as the piggy in the middle of 8000 fans. While we keep the ball off them for the full second half, after taking the lead in an old firm. B-)

Team fouls accumulation eventually leading to a penalty, a bit like basketball. Start hammering the negative anti-football shite where one team is clearly only there to stop the other with niggly foul after niggly foul, with no intention of playing football. Set a limit and if they hit that then its a pen for the other team. Means that there's still scope for tackling and fouls without it automatically meaning a major consequence; but that consistent shitehousery eventually gets punished.

Would equally like to see a clampdown on diving and feigning injury.

When you look at the wages the system is rotten, and we all renewed our season ticket but few if any took a wage cut or furloughed so after my rant a wage cap across Europe.

Scrap away goal rule
Put offside rule back to where it was
Ditch VAR
Stricker with keepers holding the ball to 5 seconds and be strick with it. Does my tits in how they hold onto it for over 10 seconds at times.
If player gets injured by other player,that offending player comes off pitch until injured player resumes.boot Clancy in the baws regularly.

I wouldn't ditch VAR, but I would introduce the rule that a Club captain can request a maximum of two VAR decisions from the referee during a match, only the captain can request a VAR decision and VAR itself would not be able to interfere with a referees decsion if no request was made by a team captain. As soon as the Referee signals for a look at VAR, the time on the match is stopped.

Each team can have no more than two VAR decisions in a match,

Simply no TV money or mega rich backers clubs would be self sufficient. I hope I live to see the Premier league in England collapse that and the champions league are a Cancer in football

Stop the clock as soon as the balls out of play
Seems to be one of the main themes on this thread and no right minded person could argue against it. Personally i think a wee bit off leeway of say ten seconds at each dead ball incident would be fine too and a good middle line on it.

Seems to be one of the main themes on this thread and no right minded person could argue against it. Personally i think a wee bit off leeway of say ten seconds at each dead ball incident would be fine too and a good middle line on it.
The issue is that it’s never ten seconds though and VAR in the top leagues is killing the game in terms of time taking and the subsequent adding either to much or to little for time taking these decisions.

For example each team use 6 subs, that’s 3 minutes straight away and 1 Var should
Roughly take 2 minutes and then there is the general time wasting that goes on with throw ins and corners etc so you would assume every or at least the majority of epl games should have 6 minutes added on but it rarely ever is.

where it becomes unfair is a team chasing a 1 goal deficit are not getting their fair time to do so

If a goalie is sent off then he must only be replaced by an outfield player. No sub goalie. I would also bring back the three foreigner rule. Only three non UK born players in any match day squad.

Throw ins to be taken where the ball has gone out of play, I am fed up seeing throw ins being taken from approx 20yds up from where the ball went out, for an advantage of those that can throw a long ball.

The issue is that it’s never ten seconds though and VAR in the top leagues is killing the game in terms of time taking and the subsequent adding either to much or to little for time taking these decisions.

For example each team use 6 subs, that’s 3 minutes straight away and 1 Var should
Roughly take 2 minutes and then there is the general time wasting that goes on with throw ins and corners etc so you would assume every or at least the majority of epl games should have 6 minutes added on but it rarely ever is.

where it becomes unfair is a team chasing a 1 goal deficit are not getting their fair time to do so
Aye but if you stop the clock after those ten seconds ,there would be no incentive to drag it out .
Thats what i was meaning, ten seconds ,then stop the clock and not left to the ref to keep it moving .
They simply don't enforce those things and can't be trusted

I like VAR as a concept, but they ought to change the stupid offside rules and handball rules with it.

Bring back the original Offside Rule, and make goalies play with their bare hands or wear a pair of these like I used to.
EPspTMVWAAUY9Yw

Back