What Would You Class as European “Success” Next Year?

As said already, UCL qualification and a 3rd place finish. But if we get a group of death it’s not necessarily a failure if we don’t qualify for the UEL.

Tbh I’m just buzzing for next season now. Being so close to European success only whets your appetite and makes you desperate for it. I hope that is the overriding feeling amongst the core of the squad who’s here next season once the understandable hurt at last night begins to fade. It’ll be harder next season with a likely rejuvenated United under ten Haag and Arteta’s Arsenal improving, although both may treat it as an inconvenience but I think ETH will view it as a good chance to get some silverware. Can never write us off though, we’ve had some incredible Euro nights and I firmly believe there is now a mentality of being mainstays on the euro stage amongst the club.

Qualify for the CL and see how it goes. For a success we either finish in the top 2 and get into the knockout stages or we get 3rd and drop back into the Europa.

I expect that to be a common answer. But can you tell me what comes after qualification? Happy to have qualified and don’t care if we finish 4th in groups?

It’s clearly a common go-to answer so not really having a go at you. You were just the first response :))
Ha. Yeah, I would agree with others and say at worse finish third and qualify for EL playoff round or whatever it's called nowadays

Last 16 of CL or 1/4 finals of EL would be a success. Anything less would be basic run of the mill Europe for us. I'm not sure what to think of the conference yet. Feels like a remedial league for clubs who can't win anything else. At the moment the only way I feel like a success in that campaign would be actually winning the bloody thing.
Likewise don't know how to feel about conference but look at the final this year. Two clubs who are decent European names. At the start of the season i expected something like Bodo/Glimt v Midtjylland in the conference final. Goes to show there will be potential for some really big teams in future editions of that tournament.

Group stages then last 16 of the Champions League, failing that the quarter finals of the Europa, failing that winning the conference.

Anything more is a bonus, apart from winning the conference obviously.

CL groups and/ or Europa League last 16 is good. Get us into the last 16 should be the target each season in which ever tournament and then see where it goes. If Ibrox can be anything like this year not a team in Europe will fancy an evening in Glasgow

Europa league group is guaranteed
I thought if we lose the 3rd round CL qualifier we go into the EL playoff?
Lose that and we go into the Conference League group stage?

Basically play two games.
Win both - Champion’s League.
Win one - Europa League.
Loose both - Conference League.

Win one - Europa League.
On the way is correct EL groups is the minimum we would get if we go out at first hurdle in CL

Qualify for champs league finish 3rd and into later stages Europa. However I’m being greedy qualifying purely for champs league is enough and would elevate our club even further

On the way is correct EL groups is the minimum we would get if we go out at first hurdle in CL
Think I’m correct. See the chart in this post…

It’s the exact same scenario as last season. Had Alashkert beaten us we would have went into the conference league.

The only thing we’re guaranteed is group stage football in one of the three competitions.

Last edited:
Qualifying for the CL group stages is the logical progression we’re looking for next season and would be massive for the club.

Anything after that is a bonus.

As great as this season has been in Europe, it can’t be the barometer.

It’s once every fifteen years on average. (93,08, 22)

Success is CL groups and finish third.

Can't believe last night was the same season as Malmo in the CL Qualifiers. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Hopefully more of the same next season.

Think I’m correct. See the chart in this post…

It’s the exact same scenario as last season. Had Alashkert beaten us we would have went into the conference league.

No idea then mate I read somewhere a whilst back if we fell short we would end up guarenteed EL groups.

No idea then mate I read somewhere a whilst back if we fell short we would end up guarenteed EL groups.

We enter at Q3.

Win:
CL Playoff for either CL groups or EL Groups

Lose:
EL playoff for either EL groups or EC groups

A deep run into the Europa League ie semi finals or finishing top 2 in the champions League group.

We enter at Q3.

Win:
CL Playoff for either CL groups or EL Groups

Lose:
EL playoff for either EL groups or EC groups

Just reading there the now we qualify for the CL third round due to the league path which states if we lose we would end up in EL groups, if you qualify through the champions path you drop into the EL playoff.

Either path in the CL playoff loser drops into the EL groups.

Not really answering the question here but I'd much rather get to another EL final than getting through the CL group stages and getting pumped out in the last 16.

Financially and realistically, the CL is a competition where we are structured out of by the big leagues.

Not saying I'd not love a good run in the CL, with all the benefits and financial rewards that's a no brainer. Just think EL and ELC is where we have a genuine chance to win it!

Depends on the draw. No point picking some arbitrary stage then getting disappointed if you get beat by a team with much more resources.

We beat teams like that this season but you can't expect to overperform all the time.

Just reading there the now we qualify for the CL third round due to the league path which states if we lose we would end up in EL groups, if you qualify through the champions path you drop into the EL playoff.

Either path in the CL playoff loser drops into the EL groups.

Actually I think you might be right there mate. Seem to remember last year wondering why Celtic got an easier ride by not having to do a playoff

Actually I think you might be right there mate. Seem to remember last year wondering why Celtic got an easier ride by not having to do a playoff
Yeah I checked it out on the UEFA page and Wikipedia as well has us down in the league path. It’s a bit strange as you would think the champions path would drop down to EL seems a bit backwards but it’s UEFA so that explains a lot

Yeah I checked it out on the UEFA page and Wikipedia as well has us down in the league path. It’s a bit strange as you would think the champions path would drop down to EL seems a bit backwards but it’s UEFA so that explains a lot

Indeed. The champions should get the easier path!

I’ve seen a couple of threads asking about who we can play in CL QR3, but hopefully not repeating a thread by asking this…

What would you class as European “success” next year? Or for the next few years, for that matter.

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 4th position?

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 3rd position and drop into the Europa League?

Do you expect us to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage and finish 2nd? Then happy to be knocked out in the first knockout round?

Would you be satisfied if we got knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers like this season but had another great Europa League run?

If we go into the Europa League, would you be happy to get out the group stage again? Would you be expecting us to reach the final again? Somewhere in between?

If we dropped into the Conference League… would you expect us to win that given this years Europa League run?
Qualification for the CL next year.

Then hopefully qualify from the group but need to see the group first......Would be magic to get Frankfurt and give them a doing at Ibrox....

Then if we made 3rd, still gteed euro football after Christmas.

However it would be incredible to go on another Europa run.

Win one - Europa League.
If we're out in Q3 we skip the Europa play offs and go straight into the Europa, basically Europa is guaranteed for next season.

Can't remember exactly why right now mind you.

Champions league group stages and any form of European competition in the new year. It’s where we should be.
I think we're pretty much guaranteed European football after Xmas if we don't make the cl.

The only possible way we wouldn't would be if we finished bottom of a cl or el group. I think that's unlikely in the el.

If we're out in Q3 we skip the Europa play offs and go straight into the Europa, basically Europa is guaranteed for next season.

Can't remember exactly why right now mind you.

There you go mate

I’ve seen a couple of threads asking about who we can play in CL QR3, but hopefully not repeating a thread by asking this…

What would you class as European “success” next year? Or for the next few years, for that matter.

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 4th position?

Are you happy to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage but get knocked out in 3rd position and drop into the Europa League?

Do you expect us to get through the Champions League qualifiers, make it to the group stage and finish 2nd? Then happy to be knocked out in the first knockout round?

Would you be satisfied if we got knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers like this season but had another great Europa League run?

If we go into the Europa League, would you be happy to get out the group stage again? Would you be expecting us to reach the final again? Somewhere in between?

If we dropped into the Conference League… would you expect us to win that given this years Europa League run?
CL qualification seems to be the holy grail.
But getting beyond Xmas and winning ties is still something that is beyond every other club in Scotland other than Rangers.

Taking the club to the very wire of European club competition is difficult, but we have set a new bar every year for the last four.

I think this is very encouraging, and the players inside Ibrox have their own very high standards.
Suffice to say, Rangers are a very exciting prospect for our support to savor.
What is not to like?

Qualifying to CL groups
Dropping into europa
Would like to see us QF regulars. I think europa is our level so not out of question

For me it’s about building

Natural progression for this season has to the the UCL group stage; if we finish 4th in a group, so be it, but I think we’re capable of 3rd

From there, another Europa run - going out in the quarters there would be no disappointment

Seasons after, we need to try and establish a routine of competing for 2nd. Some years it’ll be Europa after Christmas, some it’ll be last 16

That would allow us to build a platform for players to shine, and in turn generate the value in them that we’d need to basically do what they done with Van Dijk

Now I’ve said all that, I’m away to book a hotel in Budapest for the 30th and 31st of May

Back