When and why did Scottish football become so poisonous?

Souness and the players he brought from England got horrendous abuse. Mark Walters abuse was and remains the worst I have ever seen/heard of. The glee of the sheep shaggers at the Durrant injury.

The disgrace that was the court case when McAvennie started a fight at Ibrox and Chris Woods finished it.

Gascoigne took shocking abuse and had scumbag Gerry McNee who had a personal vendetta with him.

Before Souness - Alex ferguson had the country in a frenzy at a so called west coast bias. The hatred of the sheep shaggers towards Rangers was there long before the Durrant injury.

There has always been shit there.

We overcame it then - we will overcome it again.

John Reid and his new labour spin. Remember he was Blair's attack dog. Brainwashed the rest of Scottish football to hate us. Is still doing this successfully today. Have huge admiration for the Rangers Board wrt our footballing come back under Gerrard. However, they have been incredibly weak when defending our players and fans against the non stop attacks from the msm and football authorities. We are being bullied from all sides. The only way to stop bullies is to stand up to them. Sadly we seem to be too afraid to do this.

It really started with John Reid and O'Neill. Before that it was a rivalry but I don't think the outright hatred was there to anything like the extent it is today.

I can remember when Burns was Celtic manager and we were singing "Cheer Up"; he actually waved to the crowd. Today there would be an outcry and a witch hunt in the mhedia.

Both O'Neil and Reid were nasty pieces of work. I think Reid genuinely hated us while O'Neil was always looking for someone to blame.

I don't think David Murray's unwillingness to defend the support can be underestimated. I'm pretty sure he had some sort of handshake deal with the media that they could say whatever they liked about us so long as he wasn't personally implicated.

DE basically says that word for word in his Murray and Me podcast, which is an excellent listen incidentally.

I believe social media has allowed the ignorant and morally corrupt minority a massive voice. The written media which is on the brink of obscurity have picked up on these inane rantings and put it into the mainstream. Thus resulting in other idiots thinking this is the norm.
Scottish football is completely inept at policing itself and unfortunately the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum. The perfect storm bring the SFA announcing 2 semis at Hampden on the same day. If we had a stronger body running the show this would play a part in building relationships. I just can't help thinking it's already fucked.

Back in the day on OF day-Glasgow was a war zone with 500 plus arrests and the like and genuine hardcore violence everywhere.

Now we have a lot of people getting offended and upset.

It's all relative I suppose.

It's simple. Rangers survived. They had Rangers Football Club gone forever and the fact they were fed all that nonsense by the media and crack pots like Ill Phil at the time and believed it has pushed them over the edge. They know,inspite of the constant "sevcoing pyoor deed n that " moonhowling that not a single football authority or relevant body backs that nonsense up and they can't deal with the fact.

It's always been there, but in my opinion the Independence referendum definitely cracked it up a notch or two...while I know some rangers fan voted yes a majority voted no and were vocal about it(card display in the Broomloan etc) I think we were seen by some people as the blockade of the braveheart era. Maybe I'm wrong but I know in my work place at the time and even among family it caused big problems and arguments and when you took the politics away it was just rangers fans arguing with in my case Celtic, st.mirren and Motherwell fans about something not football related but at its heart it had a very us versus them feel to it.

I wasin my earltto mid teens when Souness arrived and even back then I could see a change in attitude. It started off as jealousy and then quickly turned nasty.
Speaking of things getting really nasty... step up O’Neill and Reid. A couple of poisonous, sectarian scumbags who created a higher state of paranoia and hatred that their support and friends in a more than compliant media lapped up. 2012 was the icing on the cake when the rest of Scotland joined in by trying to kill us off.
I still question the mentality of some of the posters on here that say things like ignore those morons on tv, radio, printed media and social media. Who the f.uck do you think has been aiding and abetting the anti Rangers narrative in this country? Time for people to wake up.

I'm 30 so have been watching Scottish football since round about the mid 90s, and I've genuinely never known Scottish football to be as petty, vindictive, poisonous and hate-filled as it is right now especially where Rangers are concerned amongst fans of what seems like every other team in the country. To name but a few things, you have the threats of physical violence against anyone perceived to be "anti-Celtic", the constant paranoia regarding any positive decision in our favour, the shedding of any sense of basic human moral decency to defend the enablers of paedophilia, I could go on indefinitely.

Am I wrong though? Has Scottish football always been like this?

If I'm right, what was the tipping point? Surely it can't have been the events of 2012. Why would that provoke such a response?

Is it due in part to the rise in social media?

The only conclusion I can draw from Scottish football is that the most bitter and hate-filled element of Scottish football has been allowed to become the most successful in recent years.

At its heart football is meant to be fun. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the constant negativity surrounding our game is just killing any sense of enjoyment that can be taken from it, especially when you know that even something as simple as Rangers winning is going to be met with weeks of nonsense about how we celebrated too much, or we cheated or whatever we did wrong that week.

Interested to hear the thoughts of others on this.

End of.
Murray …I will never forgive you as long as I live!

It’s not new. Jock Stein once said “ the only way we’ll get a fair crack at the whip is when we bring in English referees.

The arrival of O’Neill, the arrival of Lennon, the faux Irish/Catholic identity being aggressively marketed to the point of parody.

It all whipped up a support that was desperate to matter and which has frankly gotten out of hand over it all.

This may be simplifying things , but the easiest way to a united Ireland is a divided Britain .. Rangers and its mainly unionist support were a major obstacle since the C.O.S abandoned its core following .

One point I haven't seen mentioned is that as Scottish Football has gotten worse the bile and poison has come more to the forefront.

Years ago our teams could compete in Europe and get to European Finals and Semi Finals. Years ago we had some great players in the League.

The Scottish game got left behind about 40 year ago. There are no star players, no star teams, there's no top quality to talk about, to focus on, for the media to write about.

Something has to fill the void and there's only really one thing left; hatred. So it gets amplified and brought to the forefront.

To an extent I actually like the poison. It makes beating the scum, beating the sheep, beating the junkies, winning trophies, etc all the sweeter knowing just how much it is hurting our horrible enemies.
55 will damage so many people and, for me, that's part of it's charm.

Not just football the whole country has come polarised in a divisive manner that is unhealthy and negative. Time was that scotland was a positive place and in 1970 perhaps the best country to live in in the UK . Now its a shithole.

IMHO, the "lastest" hate feast on their part started roundabout 2007, when we were doing well in Europe and they found an ear with UEFA via Nil by Mouth et al to blackmail us with regard to sectarian singing. Once UEFA - thanks to that Catholic Austrian game obeserver who challenged UEFA's own conclusion that there was no case to answer and suceeded (FTP was the main spot of bother) - "banned" TBB and FTP, the Scottish authorities followed suit and the Yahoo-guided mhedia whipped themselves into a frenzy, essentially re-defining the word "sectarianism" as anything "anti-Irish", "anti-Catholic" and the like, while turning a blind eye on any pro-IRA stuff et al. It was open season and grew worse, as they themselves hardly ever got punished and got ever more bold in their stuff. They intsigated that "behaviour bill" ... only that it backfired on them too and now they seek to abolish it again.

That's the Yahoo part.

As for the rest ... IMHO, it mainly comes from years of inferiority and being out-classed - support, money-, and trophy-wise. The mid 80s spring down Pittodrie and Tannadice way came to a quick and final stop once Souness arrived, even though both teams provided some good competition over the years. I am not sure when the bitterness at Tannadice reached the current levels of essentially downright hatred, but it might have to do with them failing to take any sort of advantage of our absence and us not dying.

2012 ... well, there sure were haters about, people who wanted to see us dead and forgotten. Not least amongst the hordes beyond the Clyde, in Aberdeen and Arabland. As for the rest, IMHO they would have acted quite similar had it been the Yahoos going down. Getting one over a successful club and its boisterous support was always on the cards - and would have been much the same had this been done in Germany and Bayern. Obviously, it would never have happened that the support were given the chance for "direct democray"in the way it was handled in Scotland.
That it bit quite a few of those Premiership teams and their support in the back was but little consolation for us, seeing how Dunfermline, Dundee United, St. Mirren, Hibs and Hearts all face relegation and anguish.

Nowadays, the social media and internet era has taken it to a new level, not least when those with the biggest chance to spout their half-truths, half-facts and downright lies seemingly have pole-positions in that sector. Just look at the Morelos / McGregor affair and the amount of anti-/non-Rangers people given time and space to mouth their opinion, with virtually no more authority on the matter as your everyday-FFer. But opposed to the latter, these opinion go out on air, in the net and fill headlines elsewhere, not least in places who don't double-check the information or have any insight as most of us do.

This is why we need more than a SLO. We need a team of them treating it like military precision helping and trying to set up supporters clubs all over the UK we rested on our laurels for 20 years thinking we don't need to do anything to grow and nurture our support and we are surprised about what has happened. We need to increase the capacity of Ibrox for a start at least the same as them.We need someone to operate and buy all the land round Ibrox .Build a museum is a must.We say we are more than a club well the reality is we need the club to act more than club am I the only one thinking putting all the pressure (SLO) on one person is tinpot .

I can remember the hassle Souness got when he came, if the internet had been about then it would have escalated to these heights.

but overall, all the posters mentioning from 9 in a row from then till now are right, they have been making sure the Celtic minded "people are put in place, I used to argue with my old man when he said it in the 80's that they will get their own people in power that he was paranoid! but...
12 match ban, trial by television if my memory serves me correct. Seems to go back a very long way. Couldn't beat us on the pitch, then led by Dr Death a former high ranking cabinet official when all the pieces fell into place the witch hunt went full scale.

More than just Dr Death, there are others. Conspiracy? Who knows?

Paranoid perhaps? But something doesn't sit well with me, not one bit.

All this over a football club they couldn't match on the pitch versus "a political club" with open secrets galore.

A good thread with many pertinent points.

For me, however, the biggest reason is the general dumbing-down of Scottish society. Few people are capable of thinking for themselves these days. Ask your average punter why he hates Rangers and he'll either struggle to come up with a coherent answer, or repeat verbatim some nonsense he's picked up from a forum or a blog.

i couldn't give a rats ass what the opposition no marks thinks of us, i've always been of the opinion of ftp and johnny doyle and it's served me well :cool:

i couldn't give a rats ass what the opposition no marks thinks of us, i've always been of the opinion of ftp and johnny doyle and it's served me well :cool:

There's a big difference between caring whether or not people like you and being willing to tolerate people smearing and lying about you.

Beginning of the Souness era, you just knew he'd get sent off in his first fixture. Remember his touchline ban then getting caught on camera not observing it. Then later during our 9 in a row the knives were out in the media for Gazza and Duncan Ferguson, amongst others. Just like the are for AM.

PS Not saying Souness didn't deserve his red but the whole atmosphere around it was just like this season.

Our second nine in a row killed them all. Aberdeen, them etc all had good teams that couldn't touch us. They hate us for our success. In their minds a down Rangers is good for Scottish football. The last seven years show that was a fantasy.

It's always been there, the hatred and jealousy for Rangers but the last seven years have been a perfect storm.

Firstly there was the growth of social media which gave a platform to every rabid, moon howling crackpot to spout their lies and propaganda; then there was the BTC and Whyte and all the subsequent happenings surrounding our club where the 'message' being driven was that we were cheats and were guilty without any trial or attempt to see the facts. Scottish football fans are largely impressionable sheeplike clowns who believe what they are told so many of them jumped on that bandwagon....Then of course there was the rise of Scottish Nationalism and the failed Indy Ref of 2014. We are a club and support who proudly support.the Union and so to these rabid Nats, we are the biggest obstacle to their twisted goal. The Nats are a minority but they are noisy minority and as I said lots of Scottish people are 'Sheep' who.follow the crowd and believe.those who.shout the loudest.

Sad times.

Social media. In the 90s and early 00s, you only really heard the opion of people you interacted with, and what was in the papers or on the radio/tv. Social media means everyone has a voice that can be heard no matter where you are, and it makes mob-mentality easier to drum up.

Spot on.

Of course there's always been intense rivalry between us and celtc but I think it was actually beginning to calm down a bit and then came along O'Neil, Lennon and Reid and they successfully reignited sectarian hatred to a whole new level.
From then on in we're on a one way trip to hell in a hand cart.
They've a helluva lot to answer for!

For me it’s a combination Of things, the perfect storm was the rise of the SNP and the Indy ref 2014, liewell and Reid having access to power, the SFA being taken over by the poets and the little shitty clubs having the chance to put the boot into gave them a taste of power.

Back