When Collum blew the whistle at Edouards (first) dive

Should have booked Edouard for a second dive. Morelos yellow was a bit soft but he'd had a couple by that point. Thought it was probably the fairest and most competent old firm refereeing display for a long time
Old firm games are easy for refs without 50/60k screaming at them. There really hasn’t been home advantage this year for any team. That has helped us because we are the better team. Every chance they get the pen if there’s a full house today

I did but I am also glad he called it right! Surprised Brown got booked given he has dished out far worse over his career on many occasions and got away without getting a card or cards during his career?

Shouted dive right away. Could tell by the way his body went down to ground it was a dive, pure theatrical.

Tbf to Collum, he’s the only Scottish ref that is brave enough to make that decision. Any other and their blowing for a pen every day of the week.

Thought when he went down Collum would have pointed to the spot relieved he actualy made the right decision

Was a bit concerned about the officials today but I thought they were almost faultless. Even that Griffiths one that he made a a&se of controlling was tight.

.....who thought he was awarding a penalty?

I did. Think I'm not used to seeing these decisions go our way.

I have a deep distrust of some Scottish refs (theres no doubt in my mind if Clancy had been in the middle and not 4th official this would have panned out different) but fair play that he saw the diving rat for what he is.

Should have sent him off for 2nd one mind you.
Borna certainly did lol

I would have Willie Collum in the middle for every match against them.
He may not like us, but he is not afraid of their fans in the press and media.
He knows that they can't put pressure on him via the usual inferences.
In truth, he is the best referee in Scotland.
Very much so.

We've had some poor decisions from Collum in recent years but I honestly believe he is the only referee in Scotland who would have made that correct decision today. Every other ref would have given a penalty imo.

Collum is prone to some utter howlers (Candeias at St Mirren) but across his career as a ref you can't accuse him of ducking decisions involving Celtic. There are far worse out there.

Tbf to Collum, he’s the only Scottish ref that is brave enough to make that decision. Any other and their blowing for a pen every day of the week.

Thats why they are missing their green brigade mhob to apply pressure on refs, it would have worked for them today as it would have last game at the piggery when Griffiths went down with no contact on him either.

They fuukin influence the officials that is 100%.

Heart was in my mouth and ready for yelling dogs abuse, seriously thought he was blowing for penalty. Then when I seen has reaction I was calling him everything under the sun.

Glad he was booked for it.
Fuckin dives more than Tom Daley, sign him up for Olympics

I have a deep distrust of some Scottish refs (theres no doubt in my mind if Clancy had been in the middle and not 4th official this would have panned out different) but fair play that he saw the diving rat for what he is.

Clancy is giving a penalty decision, no doubt.

"Aw naw! It Wiz a f**kin dive", "oh he's gave us a free kick".
That was the words that I screamed at the telly.
Thought we were getting another dodgey decision against us.

In that moment i thought he was running in to point at the penalty spot,just that used to us getting shafted by refs at the piggary.

When I was watching I thought it looked like a penalty but seeing it again it was clear it wasn’t.
It was good strong refereeing from Collum

I think with 60,000 moonhowlers in the ground he give
s a penalty. The fact that he didn’t hear any contact from the ”tackle” I think made his mind up that it was a dive. That’s where I think no fans has made a difference.

Collum is a decent ref imo, i don't get the fear when he is appointed.

That was a dive. If Clancy was in charge that's a penalty and probably a red card.

Not a ringing endorsement, but you are correct.

On the whole, I thought Collum had a good game today.

Collum does tend to call things as he sees them - rather than think about whether his windows are safe.

He makes mistakes - some howling mistakes - but he is one of the less bad ones.

Often not helped by his assistants - such as LCF last season. And a few yearsback at Falkirk when he gave a pen for a foul 3 yards outside the box.

Last edited:
I reckon he's the best up here but that's against a bar set so low it would trouble a limbo dancer.

I'm pleased Collum got the decision right but it's a sad indication of the SPFL officiating that I can think of three officials that would have gave a penalty instantly and booking Edouard for a dive would have been the last thing on their mind.

Nah not me said straight away he had dived because he took such a poor touch. Should have been booked again for the 2nd one which was worse and if was probably the only thing Collum got wrong the whole game.

Thought the ref was fair overall but should have booked Edouard for the second dive and I thought the same player was offside at their goal

Being completely honest, in real time I thought it was a penalty and was sure he’d give it. Not often I’ll say this but hats of to Collum because in real time the cheating bastard made it look quite convincing. His second attempt at diving was a lot less convincing.

Collum gas improved as a ref. He made a few silly heated red cards and penalty decisions against us a couple of seasons back but I thought he let the game flow..he could have sent off Jason Derulo though and Morelos yellow card probably a bit harsh

Apart from ignoring Eduoard's second dive I thought Collum was okay today and he is a ref that usually tries to be fair especially this season with no crowd to influence him.
Not to mention whoever went thru the back of Kent and they broke away, and the blatant push on Barisic by Turnbull, just 5 yards in front of him.

It may not be saying much I suppose.
But who is better?
That is a great point. Every game we play the ref is the "worse ever". Even in Europe, with foreign refs, the ref is almost invariably the "worse ever". It was widely stated on here last Thursday and also in the Antwerp away game (all that additional time at the end of the first half!) that the ref was the worse ever.
Somebody has to be the best of these awful refs. Colum has had a few howlers over the years but he could have easily given them two penalties today. I think we would all would agree that Clancy would have given at least one penalty today and Beaton, while not a sellik man, would be so scared he would have given them at least one.

I think Edouard made Collum look like a dick in the cup final against Hearts when he dived and Collum fell for it, maybe he's got a long memory.

Great post. Couldn’t agree more.

Maybe showing our age Pre-2012 but I’ve always thought he’s been as good as we could hope for.

When guys say now uh oh Collum I’m genuinely wondering who they’d rather have in charge.

Collum is a decent ref. Like the others, he can suffer from the occasional howler (even they have been on the receiving end) , but I'd say he's honest.

They’ve had penalties like that for a few seasons now. Their media would of backed him if he gave a penalty so fair play to the ref, he has had enough and just wants to do his job. Any other team it’s never a penalty but for them I can understand why they are complaining, that’s normally a giving.

Yeh the ticker skipped a beat for a second but was a dive

Collum is a funny one. Sometimes he can be a good referee then he reverts back to giving our opponents the big decisions. Don't forget he was the first ref to send Brown off for throwing the elbow. Maybe with the media coverage all over the UK he thought he better ref it to the book.
Overall I felt that with the game being effectively meaningless, the officials thought why not, let’s just ref it properly. In a game which actually mattered, with their horrible supporters howling at them at that incident, who knows what he would have done.

I thought he was blowing for a penalty at first. Big relief when I realised he was booking Edouard instead

I’ve said that many times. We picked on the wrong ref a couple of years ago IMO. He’s a poor ref....but we’ll above the rest of them and, as you said, he’s not weak and easily pressured like Beaton or an out and out cheat like Clancy.

He makes some howlers but I think he makes them honestly. Even yesterday, failing to book Brown until Alfie pointed out it was his 5th foul in 35 minutes was poor. Not sending Edouard off for the second, ridiculous dive was also a mistake. But he got the first, harder, one right and other than that he was fine yesterday as he usually is.

Back