Where does Thursday rank in our biggest ever games at Ibrox? Is it the biggest?

Brick_Top

Official Ticketer
Beating Bayern 2-0 in the return leg of the ECWC semi final in 72 would obviously be up there given we went on to win it.

Beat Marseille at Ibrox in 92/93 and we were in a CL final.

We had a couple of last day league wins at Ibrox during 9iar without which 9iar never happens.

In recent times the Legia game was also massive despite it only being a qualifier. Fail to win that and last seasons league win and this seasons Euro run don’t happen. It was a massively significant game in terms of where we are now as a club.

So what say you? Does Thursday eclipse them all in terms of a one off occasion and achievement should we prevail?

I never started going to Ibrox until 1997 so it certainly feels like the biggest in my time attending.

In terms of what it means to club as a whole it's probably up there with one of our biggest games ever.the winners being 90mins away from a possible 40mil jackpot of the CL plus prize money and spin offs for winning it.so it is absolutely huge
10 years after 2012 adds to it. If we have 2 European finals either side of that event it's incredible. It's possibly bigger than 72 due to the financial disparity nowadays between the Scottish league and the Europeans.

I only went to every home game from 1987 until I missed one in 2005. Yeah thanks for turning 50 mum ffs. Any game during that period bigger? Dynamo Kiev? Leeds United? The Sheep? help

Far bigger than Legia or Marseille. I was a toddler in 92/93 but wasn't the Marseille game at Ibrox early on in the group stage campaign?

It was yes so at the time the significance of the result wasn’t to be known. But a win in that game would have taken us out of the group and into the final.

The final game of the group at Ibrox it was out of our hands so even a win wouldn’t have been enough at that point.

Thursday in the context of a one off game is bigger.

It’s bigger than the Bayern game.

The ramifications go much deeper. It’s a harder tournament to win, we’ve had to play more games, there’s a bigger financial impact of course and there’s a pathway to get to the CL and even bigger financial lot, one that we need as we continue to recover from the last decade.

Bayern maybe seemed bigger because they were the absolute best at that time and paradoxically because you could rate it as our greatest victory ever at Ibrox-the Juve game arguably matches that in a one off sense.

It's up there isn't it? You could make a strong argument if we qualify it eclipses both those results due to the financial situation these days.....

Beating Bayern 2-0 in the return leg of the ECWC semi final in 72 would obviously be up there given we went on to win it.

Beat Marseille at Ibrox in 92/93 and we were in a CL final.

We had a couple of last day league wins at Ibrox during 9iar without which 9iar never happens.

In recent times the Legia game was also massive despite it only being a qualifier. Fail to win that and last seasons league win and this seasons Euro run don’t happen. It was a massively significant game in terms of where we are now as a club.

So what say you? Does Thursday eclipse them all in terms of a one off occasion and achievement should we prevail?

I never started going to Ibrox until 1997 so it certainly feels like the biggest in my time attending.
Biggest at Ibrox in 50 years

The fact its a 2nd leg makes it bigger than fiorentina, Bayern were the best team in Europe when we beat them in '72 but I'd think Thursdays game is bigger due to possible CL group stages there for the winner

I agree with a lot of guys here that Thursday is biggest. I've been going since 2000 and can't think not even the old firm game in 2011 with McGregor's save from the non penalty was as big as this. Bring it on!!!!!

It will be such a massive boost for all of us if we win on Thursday...The Dynamo Kiev game still stands out for me as the noise to end all noise match when we won that night, however if we get the same result this week am pretty sure it will be beaten.

Biggest in my lifetime at Ibrox, I’ll be savouring every second on Thursday.

Probably now our biggest ever game , certainly money wise , status wise , we have to win it .

I always thought the semi v eintracht Frankfurt was our biggest ever match as it was the European cup - we got slaughtered in that
We’d a couple after that
Bayern must be the most prestigious team we papped oot tho.

Fiorentina was a huge match , simply massive as none of us under 50 would remember barca 72

And now our beloved club pops up with a europa league semi against all odds - I’d say this was the clubs biggest ever match in my lifetime , I suppose it’s always a biggget match with every generation- says it all when Kenny dalglish says if Rangers get to the final and win it will be the greatest ever achievement due to the shift in moneyarou d the game

CSKA in 1993 is the closest, but a result jn Belgium had to go our way that night. In terms of Europe, and being in our hands, this is the biggest game of my lifetime (38). Probably the biggest game full stop actually, that’s taking into account 2 very special last day league wins at Ibrox (1991 and 2003)

Newcastle in 1969, Bayern in 72 i remember as massive games when I was young. Thursdays game will be up there with Bayern if we win.

Back