Where does Thursday rank in our biggest ever games at Ibrox? Is it the biggest?

In our recent history yes the biggest but rather than slap our appendages out and claim mine is bigger than yours lets enjoy the fact we have another great chapter in our 150th year.

Bayern was and always will be the biggest by far.

After the beggars had won a European trophy under BJK, it was imperative we did likewise, the pressure on Rangers to deliver was incessant every year thereafter, it took 5 long years for that one to be finally put to bed.

“Rangers drew 1-1 yesterday against Celtic after falling behind. Of course, this doesn't get them any further in the league, but obviously the performance in the second half gave them a lot of courage and motivation for Thursday's game, which is celebrated in their online forums as the biggest game in recent club history. So they're hot as frying pan fat and motivated to the bones”

“You can hardly see the atmosphere there anywhere else and certainly not here in Germany.”

From a R.B Leipzig forum

It’s bigger than the Bayern game.

The ramifications go much deeper. It’s a harder tournament to win, we’ve had to play more games, there’s a bigger financial impact of course and there’s a pathway to get to the CL and even bigger financial lot, one that we need as we continue to recover from the last decade.
Absolutely this.

This is from the same forum.

"Even if the team didn't spread a euphoric mood with their reserved style of play and lack of concentration, I can get more and more comfortable with the result with a 2-day gap. Rangers need to catch up on goal in the second leg. To do that, they would have to act much more offensively, which should then offer us space that suits our style of play, the switching game, the game at the top. If we manage to score a goal to put the pressure on Rangers by 2 goals, that would be ideal. The Rangers offensive should also be thinned out in the second leg. Hopefully no spontaneous healing is to be expected for the 2 injured people and the ailing Diallo. We have 3 yellow-blocked regulars coming back for the defensive area. The anticipation of the second leg is currently even hiding everyday life in the league. I'm expecting a more interesting game compared to the first leg and I hope we can make it into the final."

Biggest by far at home in my lifetime. Fiorentins was a strange night as we essentially played for a 0-0 and as a result the atmosphere was fairly muted I felt .

This time we need to win the game at a minimum so I expect it to be totally different

It’s bigger than the Bayern game.

The ramifications go much deeper. It’s a harder tournament to win, we’ve had to play more games, there’s a bigger financial impact of course and there’s a pathway to get to the CL and even bigger financial lot, one that we need as we continue to recover from the last decade.
If you had lived during their unbearable 9 in a row and their European success you wouldn’t think it was bigger. If we had lost they might have felt less pressure to beat Inter later that night

Up there with Bayern semi final, although as someone else has pointed out in an earlier post, given the financial disparity nowadays, this just edge's it IMO.

The second leg of a European semi final, at Ibrox. Only 1 goal in it. A place in the final at stake. It speaks for itself.

You’re lucky if you get to see something like this once in a lifetime. To have seen two such events in my lifetime is a privilege I’ll never take for granted. Bayern 50 years ago the last one.

To all our younger bears, just savour every moment of this. You’ll all still be talking about this when your auld codgers.

Come on Rangers!!! Just win!!! Win this :))

Beating Bayern 2-0 in the return leg of the ECWC semi final in 72 would obviously be up there given we went on to win it.

Beat Marseille at Ibrox in 92/93 and we were in a CL final.

We had a couple of last day league wins at Ibrox during 9iar without which 9iar never happens.

In recent times the Legia game was also massive despite it only being a qualifier. Fail to win that and last seasons league win and this seasons Euro run don’t happen. It was a massively significant game in terms of where we are now as a club.

So what say you? Does Thursday eclipse them all in terms of a one off occasion and achievement should we prevail?

I never started going to Ibrox until 1997 so it certainly feels like the biggest in my time attending.

Certainly the biggest in my lifetime, (been going regularly since 1998) and probably only Fiorentina in the 1961 European Cup Winners Cup Final would be bigger.

Our semi finals against Bayern in 1972 and Slavia Sofia in 1967 would be of similar standing, even though the crowds then would've been much bigger.

We are more than capable of beating this mob on Thursday and it'll be interesting to see what sort of team Red Bull field tonight against B.M.

On Sky Sport Mix channel at 19.30, for those that are interested.

Last edited:
CSKA was absolutely huge, worth pointing out we had a chance to qualify for a Champions League final, surely doesn’t get bigger than that? Aberdeen title decider was massive too, but I do agree this upcoming game is probably the biggest game we have played since Bayern 72.

Bayern was and always will be the biggest by far.

After the beggars had won a European trophy under BJK, it was imperative we did likewise, the pressure on Rangers to deliver was incessant every year thereafter, it took 5 long years for that one to be finally put to bed.
That's true, but in those days you always hoped or imagined Scottish teams (I know that's changed) could get to semis and finals. It wasn't unusual. EL and CL finals aren't meant for clubs from smaller countries. Always laugh when they do the draw and go on about how EL has representation across the leagues as if they had planned it that way. They absolutely want an all German or England/Germany final. Fekkin UEFAs model would be nice.

This Thursday will be the biggest ever match, the most important and the most at stake. There’s not been a bigger game since 72, and this game, in terms of magnitude and reward, by far eclipses that.

Consider where we were 10 years ago to now, this is by far and away the biggest game ever to be played at Ibrox.

Should the club itself and the players themselves fail to realise this aspect, and they don’t turn up to give 150% on the night, then we don’t deserve to be a part of such a huge night.

My own feelings, however, are of positivity that the players know what’s at stake, they know the rewards should they do well and I firmly believe that we will get the result required to take us to Seville.

What an evening we have in store, Ladies and Gentlemen.

As much as it wouldn’t have mattered anyway, we went into the final game against CSKA at Ibrox in ‘93 knowing that if we won and Marseille failed to do the same, we would have been in the Champions League final.

That was huge.

This game is probably on a par with Bayern in ‘72 as they’re both in the secondary European competition.

So far!
I’d say due to all the shiete the club has been dragged through, and the loyalty of Rangers fans since 2012, yes this is the biggest game at Ibrox. I wasn’t old enough to remember Bayern, but as mentioned previously, the money factor in football now makes this a fairytale run. Like Leicester winning the league, against all the odds we are 90mns and 2 goals away from a European final. Who thought that was possible when we dreamed of hearing the Champions League music blasting out of Ibrox again in those darkest days?
Mon the Teddy Bears.

Beating Bayern 2-0 in the return leg of the ECWC semi final in 72 would obviously be up there given we went on to win it.

We had a couple of last day league wins at Ibrox during 9iar without which 9iar never happens.

In recent times the Legia game was also massive despite it only being a qualifier. Fail to win that and last seasons league win and this seasons Euro run don’t happen. It was a massively significant game in terms of where we are now as a club.

So what say you? Does Thursday eclipse them all in terms of a one off occasion and achievement should we prevail?

I never started going to Ibrox until 1997 so it certainly feels like the biggest in my time attending.

CSKA was bigger than Marseille in 92/93.

CSKA was bigger than Marseille in 92/93.

It was but it was out of our hands by then.

Marseille game in isolation wasn’t massive due to when it was played but if that draw had became a win we’d have got to the final unless I’m mistaken.

Marseille game in isolation wasn’t massive due to when it was played but if that draw had became a win we’d have got to the final unless I’m mistaken.

Yeah we would have but we didn’t know it at the time. CSKA had all the anticipation of Rangers potentially reaching the final that very evening.

Yeah we would have but we didn’t know it at the time. CSKA had all the anticipation of Rangers potentially reaching the final that very evening.
This… CSKA was like a semi final, but we were resigned to missing out after the draw in France.

Marseille was an extraordinary night with the come back, but it was an early CL game

You can't really split a home semi final

Because it was a new format there was a bit of confusion if you finished on the same points at the top of the table
Then it was clarified it would go to head to head results to determine the group winner .

I remember the daily record back page at the time
Win and your in was the headline ,so we did know before the game a victory would have taken us to the first ever champions league final.

Marseille didnt have the relevance as it was too early in the groups

It is up there with the Bayern and Fiorentina game.

It is the Ultimate Challenge.

I feel this is going to be harder to win than the final itself, should we get there.
100%. This is a team that beat Man City and drew with PSG in the CL, scoring 9 goals in the 4 games against them - 5 away from home.

They have no right being in the EL. They were handed a group of death and that's the only reason they're here.

I have no doubts at all that if we pull off a win on Thursday, our name is on the trophy.

Surely the first leg of a two leg European Cup Winners Cup Final in 1961 ranks as the biggest game at Ibrox? Either that or the European Cup semi final in 1960?
I’m not sure. Football has changed beyond recognition now. The old European cup meant teams from smaller leagues/Less fancied sides could do well. Now? Look at our run to get where we are. We’re playing against a team that cost 15x what our team cost to assemble. There is seeding. There’s a play off round for teams dropping out of the CL that we had to play in. We faced Dortmund in that round. For me this is, by far, the biggest achievement in Scottish football history (if we win the thing!). The tournament is designed for teams like us NOT to win it.

For me, yes.

The disparity in the game these days mean that European runs into the light nights make it an ultra-rare event for clubs like us in the modern game.

You can say 2008 was similar but in the 14 years since, the gap between the big leagues and the rest has only widened. In fact, the gap between the rest and Scotland got wider. Our (proper) return to Europe under SG has redressed this and we can now claim to be regulars in the knockout stages.

We're up against a club backed by a massive company prepared to throw money at it. Our squad is worth a fraction of theirs. Our budget is too.

Fifty years ago we put out a Bayern Munich side that would be the backbone of a successful West Germany that went onto win that summer's Euros then the World Cup two years later. However, in financial terms, football was a more level playing field.

Today? The prize money for winning the Scottish Premiership is worth little more than the value of RB's back-up goalie.

Thursday night sees us go into a game where history will be made. As much as I don't want to look back to 2012 and "The Journey", turning this tie around and qualifying for the final would be all the more incredible considering what we have been through.

I’m not sure. Football has changed beyond recognition now. The old European cup meant teams from smaller leagues/Less fancied sides could do well. Now? Look at our run to get where we are. We’re playing against a team that cost 15x what our team cost to assemble. There is seeding. There’s a play off round for teams dropping out of the CL that we had to play in. We faced Dortmund in that round. For me this is, by far, the biggest achievement in Scottish football history (if we win the thing!). The tournament is designed for teams like us NOT to win it.
There was a colossal 80,000 at the first leg of the Final at Ibrox. I'd say that game was massive. Point taken, though, mate.

Back