Where was it won?

AriseSirWalter

Official Ticketer
In my view leagues are normally won before a ball is kicked, over 90 mins ‘luck’ can have a massive influence on the outcome especially because football is such a low scoring game but over the course of 38 matches it’s the team with the best management/players/tactics that will win.

So our league win was probably more to do with all the hard-work and time we as a club (fans included) have put in before Aug but ignoring all that. What was the game, couple of results, or month when it was won?

The months of Dec or Jan would be in with a strong shout, their game against hibs post Dubai seems significant as when they recognised it was done but for me the way we won the first OF game was most significant.

To go away from home, have that amount of control and win so comfortably, it started, and with hindsight probably ended, their hopes. They would’ve had to have sacked lennon the very next day and take a punt on someone else to have any hope.

The nerves of the games before that first OF was unreal, every game was like an OF or Fiorentina away stress levels. The lows of Livi and Hibs draws seem like years ago, still can’t believe this of all seasons was so comfortable.

I don’t want the season to end to be honest.

Beating Motherwell 3-1 at home when we were 0-1 down with 75 mins played.
The score says different but we won ugly. Rolled up our sleeves and got into a battle. Its all about momentum and if we had lost or drawn we would have lost that momentum.
That for me was a moment that I thought...we might just do this.

It wasn’t won in a single 90 mins.

there was a defining few weeks that started with the motherwell come back win in December and closed with the draw at fir park, where we didn’t even lose ground because they’d also drawn their two home games post Dubai.

Motherwell late on.

We were stodgy around that period, crucial goals as well in the matches around it. Hibs and Celtic double header too.

Motherwell at home was probably the start then Easter Road and then finally for me the win at Livingston. The game against tims in October probably a good shout as well its the first time we've played them after beating them where there's been no winter break or international break and they fell apart.

Motherwell at Ibrox in December.

Winning that game, having been a goal down for 70 odd minutes following the defeat to St Mirren during the week, was massive.

This! I was in my car listening to Radio Scotland when we were 1-0 down. With 20 minutes to go Richard Gordon and Tom English wee practically salivating at the thought of us losing. The way we turned it into a victory gave me confidence that we were not going to fold as in the previous two seasons.

Very good question - for me it was Hibs away when Alfie scored the winner - It was the last of our very difficult January run, something we have clearly struggled with in the past and I hate to mention it but they were in complete disaray at that point and I think we finally realised they weren't a good team on a rocky patch (like they all believed) and that they were infact a bad team.

For me, it was actually one of their games that first made me think the season was different. Soon after the 2-0 game at Sharkhead. They went up to Aberdeen, were 1-0 down, then 2-1 down. And went 3-2 up with a few mins left. Then conceded a penalty in the 93rd min and drew 3-3. That’s the sort of thing that happened to us. And it started happening to them. We capitalised by keeping the focus. As has already been said, Motherwell at home was huge. As were most games in the Nov/Dec period when Roofe had his best spell.

December as a whole, away games v St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and St St Mirren + the 2 games v Motherwell/Hibs at Ibrox 15/15 points league over.

January the 2nd.

They had the chances and most of the ball in the 1st half and we couldnt string two passes together yet we went in at half time 0-0 then we won the game without a shot on goal.

Thats the type of game where you know the cards are stacked in your favour.

First OF game. Players could have played in slippers, dressing gowns and cravates and MacGregor could have sat in his gaming chair playing PS5 such was our control.
Coming right after their Euro doings done them mentally.
They had engineered the date of the game to suit them don't forget.

I could even trace it back to earlier OF games season before where we sowed the seeds. in their mentality.

(were they always mentally weak but had never been challenged?)

The 2nd OF of the season. Took their best shot and beat them. That sucked the wind out their sails. Opened a big gap and happened just before Dubaigate

Motherwell, right on back of going out league cup could have totally derailed season. But we rolled sleeves up and won the 3 points.

That was the game I said, "yeah, this team have got it in them to be Champions!"

Ive jokingly said parkhead carpark earlier in thread, and it was the point for me where you knew they knew we're better and theyve spat the dummy - so it was the point where i stopped hoping and started believing - but tbf theres been so many moments in the league, as all these posts are showing, where weve shown the attitude and mentality of champions. The last minute alfie winner at livi when we were already 20 pts clear was the moment where i missed being there the most- but the key here is keep the mentality. We're winners now. thats the standard.

1st-8th November.

Getting over the Rugby Park thing by beating them 1-0, going to Portugal during the week and being 3-1 up at one point against Benfica ffs and then giving Hamilton an absolute scudding 8-0

That was the week they must have thought “right we’re not fucking about this year”

Motherwell at Ibrox felt massive! After getting knocked out the cup the result told me something about this squad

There were a few biggies.

motherwell at home, the 1-0 OF at Ibrox, Last minute winner at Livi.

Magic season all over!

Was won at every league game we played.. as the table shows no one even came close to stopping the gerrard express

I cant pinpoint a game in particular but it was around December time when i knew we were gonna win it

When we had that beer off phase of not being at our best but still grinding out results. That’s normally what the difference between champions and runners up is down to. Seem to remember struggling December/January. Coming through January pretty much unscathed was when we won it and them throwing away their games in hand confirmed it.

Beating the t@arriers at New Year game and seeing Lennon look like he'd been up since Xmas on swedgers and gear certainly seemed to hint that we'd be victorious.

I imagine for most people it was Motherwell and that December run. If we got through January with the points gap the same I could believe, we almost doubled that gap I think :D When they then lost to St Mirren at the end of January it was over.

Accelerating through December with our foot to the floor was key,Probably the most important stage for me.

The January old firm all but sealed it and the getting through January was our home straight.

like most others posted , the mwell game at Ibrox was a real grind out win and i knew then that we really did have the minerals in our team for the fight, also the 2-0 game at the Big Jock Knew Camp reassured me what i had know all long that we were a totally different class to that mob and if we could take care of the likes mwell we were always winning the league

This is an old thread. Back when it was originally asked I said August 1st 2020. Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers
I've not read the rest of the thread but 0-1 at the Ewe Camp is the right answer.

We started with the sort of goal we've seen all season - a bit of vision, moving, passing and linking - had a tricky spell when the sheep looked dominant and finished strongly.

How we played on the opening day is how we've played all season - and we've made football look easy in most games.

Oor Ryan's goal to open the campaign for those who forgot combined with The Big Buff in his new role as playmaker.

Last edited:
3-1 home to Motherwell.

IIRC we had just been knocked out the cup midweek and were woeful against Motherwell but grinded out the win with 3 late goals

had we failed to win that, the panic button would have been hit

Being honest 1-0 broke them there's being

In honestly I think it was them given the title by zoom last year.

From the moment we came back we were focused and driven.

The tactics we used took the games out of the refs hands, recruitment was spot on keeping Alfie as well .... he is still massively key to how we play and crazy I still don't think the front 3 have fully clicked together

I think if we're all honest, we worried about the until now traditional New Year-ish blip, so for me the narrow win v Hibs and the 3-1 v Motherwell when they scored early. Throw in beating the scum just after, despite not playing anywhere near our best, and that for me was what won it.
Bang on. Our December and January seemed brutal January ended up being the most enjoyable month of the season :))

A very underrated game is the 2-0 v Kilmarnock way back in August

Had just drawn with Livi and went an hour without scoring. Roofe with the opener an indication our signings would make a big difference.

Back