Who remembers this player?

Yeah remember him.
Very early Souness signing.
He got injured after a few games and only featured very rarely.
Scored two of three goals.

My memory of west was the Hamilton 0-1 game in the Scottish Cup. I’m sure he came on and hit the bar with a shot.

First signing I'm sure, when Souness thought we needed a big striker. Definitely got a massive upgrade when Hately came in.

Fact is West wasn't very good although his injury obviously didn't help him.

Last edited:
Was that Davie cooper’s testimonial?
A couple of years before, during the first Souness season, may have been as we had a free weekend after going out the cup early.
I remember the Hamilton keeper pulling off an incredible save from a Colin West header.
(Sorry to mention such a painful memory)

The first new player of the Souness era.
From memory, he got injured very early in his one season.

The first few signings he made were all straight up the spine of the team, Woods, Butcher and West added to himself in midfield. It obviously never worked out for West but it was a position where the season before we had Williamson, Eric Ferguson and John McDonald alongside McCoist. The biggest beneficiary of Colin West's injury was probably Robert Fleck, he probably played a lot more games that season than anyone ever expected.

from memory, got injured in our struggle up at Bayview in a league cup game, I'm sure that was the midweek before we beat the enablers 1-0 at Ibrox with an Ian Durrant goal magnificently set up by Coop

We got through after penalties that night. It was torture!

Souness signed a lot of players who didn't meet the grade for one reason or another but the only one I think we made a loss on was Mel Sterland. West never really recovered from that early season injury at East Fife and was soon away but like I say, I'm pretty sure we made money on the deal.

Scores here about 15:30 in.

I remember that game well. We won it comfortably and then the news came in that the scum had drawn 1-1 with Dundee United at the piggery with Utd equalising in injury time. If we didn't already think we were winning the league that was the day I think even the doubters saw that we were.

He was one of those players when you were a wee guy thought looked cool. 80’s streaks and socks down at the ankles, pity he hardly kicked a ball for us. As mentioned before, his injury probably benefited Robert Fleck, smashing player.

Back