Why Everyone Loves Ally McCoist (442 magazine)

That article is one of the snootiest, wanky things I have ever read.

The EPL is massively overrated, and people who haven’t played in it can also understand football.

Desperate to play Man U in the next round of the EL (once we have wrapped up the SPFL) really think we could cause an “upset”.
I've been saying for months I want through this tie then get Man U or Arsenal. I genuinely think we'd have a good chance. But for no logical reason I think Spurs or Leicester would probably tank us. Or for the Kane Son and Vardy reasons!

I think they are also forgetting the fact that he starred in a box-office movie co-starring Hollywood heavyweight Robert Duvall :) (wheres the tongue-in-cheek emoji)

That still dumbfounds me........

Always good to see one of our own getting the plaudits.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...o-commentator-why-everyone-loves-ally-mccoist

The art of being a co-commentator: why everyone loves Ally McCoist​

By Richard Jolly 5 hours ago
Holy smokes! Ally McCoist uses his distance from the modern Premier League to his advantage as a pundit – and has become the surprising sleeper hit of Amazon Prime's coverage

Ally McCoist

(Image credit: PA Images)
Officially, football is the national sport. Unofficially, it seems as if criticising its pundits is. With one notable exception. Ally McCoist, scorer of a mere nine goals for Sunderland almost four decades ago, feels English football’s strange new national treasure.
There is something magnificently illogical about the way Amazon Prime, the newest broadcaster in the Premier League environment, representing the most valuable brand on the planet, whose streaming model could irrevocably alter the sports rights world, have discovered the route to rave reviews involves a 58-year-old former Question of Sport captain. Perhaps it would be like Pep Guardiola embracing 4-4-2 or Marcus Rashford consulting Bryan Robson about refuelling habits.
But there is something endearing and something meritocratic about it. McCoist is a brilliant co-commentator, the best in the Premier League (ignore the rush to denounce everyone else: there are several other fine exponents of the art), despite never playing or coaching in it and rarely working on it.
ORDER TODAY
Son Heung-min, Tottenham Hotspur, FourFourTwo March 2021

(Image credit: Future)
IN THE MAG Son Heung-min! PLUS Thiago Silva and Alisson exclusives, Juan Veron, Corinthian figures, dirtiest game and more

He combines an expert’s understanding and attention to detail with a raconteur’s comic timing and memory for an anecdote; like the former England cricket coach David Lloyd, another beloved broadcaster who shares a similar wit, he knows when to be serious and when not to be. With very different accents, both have the sort of rich, reassuring voices that lend themselves to the airwaves.
RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU...

McCoist boasts an idiosyncratic turn of phrase – “holy smokes, that is unbelievable,” he exclaimed when Riyad Mahrez scored at Everton – and a vocabulary that various other current and former players should envy.

He marries an infectious love of football with a hinterland. “Kazan has come a long way since it fell to Ivan the Terrible in 1552,” may be the single greatest line of World Cup commentary since Kenneth Wolstenholme thought it was all over; the camera need not be on McCoist to detect the twinkle in his eye. The mean-spirited may say his enthusiasm is more understandable when he has spent much of his time watching the Scottish game or in a studio with Sue Barker, but McCoist shows it is possible to be both positive and analytical. A forward who used to team up profitably with Mark Hateley has formed three terrific double acts, with Jon Champion, Peter Drury and Clive Tyldesley; it may be no coincidence that they are three of the most erudite commentators. Wordsmiths share a fondness for knowledge and football.

Together, the old masters are preferable to the breed of commentators who prioritise quantity over quality, talking for every available second without saying anything memorable. Maybe they appeal to the nostalgic but, judging from the paeans of praise, a newer audience are similarly appreciative of their timeless skills.

And McCoist’s popularity flies in the face of some received wisdom. He may always remain Rangers’ record goalscorer but, as Scottish football is downgraded south of the border and his playing days grow more distant, those exploits may not render him a big name to an English audience. He does not know what it’s like to share a dressing room with Paul Pogba or to coach Raheem Sterling and, while those who do can offer insight, he brings other qualities.

The distance he has from the English game feels beneficial. There is a toxic element to the invented agendas of those claiming everyone is biased against their team for reasons that often defy rational explanation; McCoist, his brief and unsuccessful spell at Sunderland apart, is not associated with any Premier or Football League club. He is unaffected by football’s tribal warfare. There is a theory – pushed, pathetically, by one or two clubs – that they need their ex-players represented in the television studios, when the best pundits should simply be hired (which Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville are, regardless of their high-profile affiliations to Liverpool and Manchester United), regardless of who they represented. That includes McCoist.

Most importantly of all, he is a reminder that football ought to be enjoyable. A pundit who savours every game is the necessary antidote to ignoring the game in favour of mind-numbing moans about referees and VAR. If the way his commentary, and by extension Amazon’s output, is received ought to prompt BT Sport into an inquest into their often dire Premier League coverage (though not their fine Champions League shows), McCoist may be achieving the impossible by unifying the football-loving public: he has become the man we all want to watch football with.
Doesnt know what its like to share a dressing room with Paul Pogba.

He shared a dressing room with players that Pogba could only dream of lacing their boots (Gazza and Laudrup).

"Steven Gerrard's Rangers" is another example, the media/EPL arrogance.
No disrespect intended to His Gerrardness.:))
That really, really pisses me off.

I understand that Gerrard has a profile that takes Rangers to the attention of many who wouldn’t have given the club a second thought but there is an underlying, and patronising, view that Gerrard coming to Rangers is the most significant thing that has ever happened to the club.

My stock answer became that he’ll need to learn to win things before anyone take him seriously at Rangers and that he might need to learn about living in a football mad city where every other conversation is about Rangers.... tongue a little in cheek with the second part but your average middle aged or younger EPL viewer has little concept of the history of Rangers or Celtic, in the context of European competition or some of the players who have plied their trade in Glasgow.

The article forgets to mention the many honours Super as a player, European golden boot winner, twice.
Pathetic piece really
FourFourTwo started off as a fine football magazine but was sold a couple of times and certainly developed a bit of a love-in for all things Celtic by around 2006 or so. Lots of little things that, as a regular reader of the magazine, I started to notice... random articles suddenly name-checking Celtic for some act of kindness or other positive link, while any kind of talk of hooliganism on or off the pitch was name-checking Rangers. Adverts that used to include Rangers and Celtic merchandise suddenly included only Celtic. All very subtle but it was noticeable.

I’m sure they feel the need to have an article about McCoist and Amazon without wanting to go overboard in any detail of just what Ally McCoist did in his Rangers career.

I read that more as it being a surprise he’s been so widely embraced by fans down south despite not having been part of English football, All the main pundits I can think of all had careers down there like Neville, Redknapp, Keane, Richards etc.

That's probably what they're aiming for but at the same time it seems like football = EPL and all else is a footnote. "He is unaffected by football’s tribal warfare" apparently :)) :)) o_O

It would have been worth them noting his glittering playing career as more than enough to make him worth listening to, even outside of his infectious enthusiasm and comic ability.

Arrogance towards Scottish Football is dripping. Maybe one day they'll realise English football's most successful manager was a Glaswegian.

FourFourTwo started off as a fine football magazine but was sold a couple of times and certainly developed a bit of a love-in for all things Celtic by around 2006 or so. Lots of little things that, as a regular reader of the magazine, I started to notice... random articles suddenly name-checking Celtic for some act of kindness or other positive link, while any kind of talk of hooliganism on or off the pitch was name-checking Rangers. Adverts that used to include Rangers and Celtic merchandise suddenly included only Celtic. All very subtle but it was noticeable.

I’m sure they feel the need to have an article about McCoist and Amazon without wanting to go overboard in any detail of just what Ally McCoist did in his Rangers career.
I too noticed this, binned my overseas subscription about 2010. Think an editor? was one of them.

That 1st paragraph couldn't be any more condescending if it tried. They speak of McCoist as if Amazon found him cleaning their bins and stuck him on co-comms for a laugh. He's won more trophies, scored more goals and played in more massive more European nights than most of the dross across Sky, BT sport and Prime added together.
And two time European golden boot winner

Why wouldn’t it be? That condescending pish has nothing to do with the points I made about him.

His ‘everybody’s pal’ shtick is working wonders.
Was hoping your notification was just off and you were ok. Just a wee joke calm down.

I think they are also forgetting the fact that he starred in a box-office movie co-starring Hollywood heavyweight Robert Duvall :) (wheres the tongue-in-cheek emoji)

That still dumbfounds me........

His performance in it is actually better than Oscar winner Robert Duvall's as well.

The half time speech Duvall gives might be one of the most cringeworthy scenes of cinema ever made.

Arrogance towards Scottish Football is dripping. Maybe one day they'll realise English football's most successful manager was a Glaswegian.
Someone should tell them McCoist only ever played in a competitive match against the champions of England twice.

And twice he scored the winner.

Average footballer?

Give me strength.

Did the poster who said it actually see him?

I agree with the sentiment, but what a load of condescending pish.

Exactly what I'd expect from the likes of FourFourTwo

Back