Wi-fi at Ibrox

Bar72loyal

I can remember a few years ago they was doing a trial of wi-fi in the stadium and never heard any more ? I have a Iphone 11 with a dual sim card so my fones on O2 and Three network either of them can get any data from either network about 30 mins prior/post match due to high usage around the area etc.

I am well aware you can go 90+ minutes without ur phone but with the things and apps the phones have these days it’s sometimes handy to be able to use your phone when required.

I am sure if they installed wi-fi and charged a small fee most people would be willing to pay if it was going direct to the club. I am also a frequent Flyer and most times there’s wi-fi on flights if you can do it there surely you can have efficient wi-fi at the football.

I sometimes get a notification from EE when I reach the stadium telling me I wont have any signal

It is a pain to be honest. Would have been handy to be able to check on Porto Feyenoord score for example as well as whatever else.

To the "you can go 90 minutes without checking your phone" brigade, bore off eh :p

The new WiFi password was given out along with the AGM notice earlier in the year.

I imagine the next batch of passwords released will be with the season ticket renewals

Was it not something like an obscure company from Dubai or wherever linked to Green was paid a silly amount to do it?

Anyway think there was a lot of spiv scams that can be implemented correctly by the right people.

It was. I’m sure we paid a million quid for it or something. I’m pretty sure one of the owners of the company was a Tim as well.

It was. I’m sure we paid a million quid for it or something. I’m pretty sure one of the owners of the company was a Tim as well.

Yeah it was about £1m. For what it's worth I liked it and it worked well for me in GF1. I only used it for checking scores or messaging people score updates if they were unable to make the game. I never get a signal from about 2:45 til 5pm.

I'm sure I read the current regime were going to look at installing it again?

Yeah it was about £1m. For what it's worth I liked it and it worked well for me in GF1. I only used it for checking scores or messaging people score updates if they were unable to make the game. I never get a signal from about 2:45 til 5pm.

surely you would think in this day and age, it’s an other thing that could potentially take in cash. obviously it would cost a lot to install but over the long run it surely would make cash. am sure other bears would not mind paying a few quid for internet to check the scores etc if you know they money is going to the club.

I read on here we were gonna get some kind of signal booster apparently similar to what is installed at music festivals. Perhaps someone else will know a bit more.

Reactions: GF1
surely you would think in this day and age, it’s an other thing that could potentially take in cash. obviously it would cost a lot to install but over the long run it surely would make cash. am sure other bears would not mind paying a few quid for internet to check the scores etc if you know they money is going to the club.

I'm sure at one point you could vote for your MOTM as well. Bump an extra 1% on to every Season Ticket would easily cover the costs

I'm sure at one point you could vote for your MOTM as well. Bump an extra 1% on to every Season Ticket would easily cover the costs
you never know it could all be rolled into this new rangers app they keep promising. might be a bit of the app you can obtain internet at the games.

I read on here we were gonna get some kind of signal booster apparently similar to what is installed at music festivals. Perhaps someone else will know a bit more.

Yes. It’s definitely happening. A family member of ours down south owns a company and they won the tender to do it. It has been delayed a couple of times I think due to other works in the stadium clashing with the pencilled in dates.

Vodafone data works fine for me? I can check scores and put in play coupons on no probs.
I have seen a few people sitting beside me checking scores etc. i would say on the average with o2 and three I can’t use the network the full game or about at least half an hour each side of kick off. you would think the mobile phone company would increase capacity if there masts near stadiums/ concerts. it must be annoying for residences.

Even the card machines were struggling in B72 yesterday. Pain in the fucking arse and absolutely miles off where we should be.

The old wifi was a spiv scam and netted the rogues some money allegedly

Yep. Cost twice the going rate and the quality of the product installed was p*ss poor compared to the average available on the market. The contract was awarded by the spivs to a company one of them was a director of, IIRC.

One instance alone which should have seen a successful prosecution under the Companies Act. There are numerous others that should have made the case an open goal and seen significant sanctions against the c*nts.

I’m convinced a group of p*ssed up law students would have done a better job than the PFs office.

I have never understood the fascination with having wi-fi at Ibrox
I hardly use it, but you can’t check any other scores. I often have to communicate with my work. It’s just handy to have to check sometimes now and again. I do to watch the football and not one of them chaps on the fone for 90 mins. lol

It worked well in the club deck toilets, if we were winning I used to go in there at half time to watch p0rn and have a w@nk.

I would only use the WiFi for checking scores, especially if you’ve got a coupon on which a large number of fans do, why do they not show the half time scores on the screens near the food kiosks? Surely it’s simple enough? And would eradicate half the people moaning about WiFi coverage as I suspect checking scores is the main reason people want on their phones !

For some reason I could never get connected to it. To be fair, it could have been an issue with my phone. The WiFi signal boxes now make smashing nesting platforms for the birds, so money well spent.

I always message a mate on WhatsApp if we have been denied a penalty or a goal is offside etc. to see what the replay showed. I check scores for other games. I sometimes like to take a photo of a UB displays etc and upload them to Instagram.

Having said that, my phone is in my pocket for the vast majority of the game, if not the full 90 minutes most games.

Don't know specific details, but I was told by someone at the club that stadium wifi is being worked on in conjunction with a partner - so the club don't have to shell out what I was told is a six figure sum. Sorry for being so vague but I wasn't given details, this was within the last month. Certainly would have been handy to check half time scores yesterday, as I struggle to get a signal at the match.

We were taking legal action against the company who installed the WiFi. Not sure what the outcome was.

I’m with O2 and have no internet from 2.15 til we’ll after 5 on match days

Would annoy me if cunts were sitting on their phone during the game, turn WiFi on before and at half time so we check the scores then turn it off once the teams are out.

At Pittodrie I kid you not, guy in front of me literally was on his phone throughout the full game, on Facebook, messenger the lot. I don’t exaggerate when I say he must have watched about 10 minutes of the 90, rest of it on his phone.

Total waste of a ticket, guy in his 40s

I cant her anything round the stadium.. I tend to during the game get the odd Twitter messegen . O ly the clubs Twitter.

I am on Vodafone and can get a great signal on 4g right through the match. I use to have a Samsung 6 and changed to a Huawei P20 last year and got the same signal on both phones but I seem to be the only one in my part of CR1 that can get it.

It's sometimes a ball ache when guys all around me are asking for score updates to see how their coupons are getting on. :confused:

I am on Vodafone and can get a great signal on 4g right through the match. I use to have a Samsung 6 and changed to a Huawei P20 last year and got the same signal on both phones but I seem to be the only one in my part of CR1 that can get it.

It's sometimes a ball ache when guys all around me are asking for score updates to see how their coupons are getting on. :confused:

I have the P20 pro and on Vodafone and get nothing in GF1 haha

I can remember a few years ago they was doing a trial of wi-fi in the stadium and never heard any more ? I have a Iphone 11 with a dual sim card so my fones on O2 and Three network either of them can get any data from either network about 30 mins prior/post match due to high usage around the area etc.

I am well aware you can go 90+ minutes without ur phone but with the things and apps the phones have these days it’s sometimes handy to be able to use your phone when required.

I am sure if they installed wi-fi and charged a small fee most people would be willing to pay if it was going direct to the club. I am also a frequent Flyer and most times there’s wi-fi on flights if you can do it there surely you can have efficient wi-fi at the football.

5g is being installed at the piggery and hampden by BT.

FREE OF CHARGE.

Not a rumour I work for BT.

Laughing at all the “I would only use it for scores” folk, as if seeking permission from the strict FFers to connect to the WiFi.

No you wouldn’t. You’d be on Facebook, and WhatsApp, and FF and whatever else - the same as you are at work, in the car, at the dinner table and everywhere else where you absolutely should NOT be on your phone but ARE.

That said, it’s 2020 (almost). Twenty fucking twenty. Some of us will have adult kids with families of their own, all of whom don’t remember a time before internet. Not ‘having the internet’ in your house is practically stone age. Not being able to connect when out and about in shops or in restaurants is barely conceivable. Governments talk now of high speed internet coverage in terms of basic human rights.

WiFi or 4/5G should be available in Ibrox and not having it, in this day and age, is unacceptable. How you use it is a matter for yourselves and the “da’s” round about you to get all het up about at the match. It can be a new, modern catalyst keeping an old football tradition - the “haud me back” routine with 10 rows separating you - alive. :)

Last edited:

Take it you never read your season renewal form or tucked the box for stadium wi-fi, it was free at that point but to get it now it’s a £19 set up fee, you can call the T/O and set it up.
The WiFi isn’t the fastest but it gets you most things unless you want to stream a film it ok

Back