Will we ever see a female football manager?

Corporal Clegg

Evil Bastard
Noticed on the pro license thread there was a couple of women who had qualified. There's no real reason why we shouldn't have seen a top flight female football manager by now, so why haven't we?

Noticed on the pro license thread there was a couple of women who had qualified. There's no real reason why we shouldn't have seen a top flight female football manager by now, so why haven't we?

There's already been one in French Ligue 2 who done reasonably well so could definitely see it happening at some point. Would be most likely a publicity stunt more than anything when it does finally happen I reckon.

I would not be for it. It might be a bigger societal thing but I think players for one would be unlikely to respect the Manager and unless they were to be the female Mourinho, any initial failures of women in the men’s game would be highlighted and would set the whole thing back further.

Depends how they respond to the obligatory game of grabass at the patriarchal/racist/homophobic interview process we know to be prevalent in the modern game.....

Hopefully..............................................................................................
not.

I think there are some issues that would need worked around for a female manager - for example they spend time talking to the team while players get dressed or showered, that couldn’t happen, but it will happen sooner or later

There's already been one in French Ligue 2 who done reasonably well so could definitely see it happening at some point. Would be most likely a publicity stunt more than anything when it does finally happen I reckon.

When you think about it, it does seem odd that there aren't even female coaches out there, especially given how many more women follow football these days. It's not like the argument about female football players not having the physicality to play with the men, that doesn't matter when it comes to coaching/managing.

Reactions: TQ3
I think it will take one of the mangeresses from the women’s international teams to make the breakthrough and then they’d be starting a lower league having to work their way up.

The current French Woman's National Team manager, Corinne Diacre managed Clermont Foot in Ligue 2 for a few years.

It's probably more likely to happen on the continent, you're seeing a rise of people who never played professionally coaching there.

However, there's still a case of men being given management jobs more frequently than women in woman's football even in places like Germany where their women's league is more developed than here.

It's probably a billion miles away from happening in Scotland for a multitude of reasons.

If it was a choice between Shelly Kerr or a Mark McGhee/Stubbs type merry-go-round manager, I know who I would pick.

Tbh I think Shelly Kerr is a shocking manager. That Scotland team have some good players and she done absolutely nothing with them against a young/inexperienced Japan team & a chucked a 3 goal lead against poor Argentina team.

Seen she was nominated for Scottish Writer's Association manager of the year, but on the basis of her World Cup performance she is no better than a McGhee or a Stubbs.

Think it will happen but not for a while yet. I don't see any reason why it couldn't work but, as said above, trying to force the issue will only cause resentment and problems down the line. These things are best left to happen organically.

And for all the chat about losers like McGhee, getting a job as a manager in professional football is very difficult. There are loads of ex-pros - male! - scrambling for every coaching position. It's very competitive even if it seems that the same faces go on rotation.

I think there are some issues that would need worked around for a female manager - for example they spend time talking to the team while players get dressed or showered, that couldn’t happen, but it will happen sooner or later
In the book about Kaiser, the Brazilian (non)footballer, there is a famous female Brazilian journalist spoken of and back in the day, over there, it was commonplace for journalists to have open access to the dressing room around games.

She was the only female and the macho footballers would largely give it stacks, walk about in the scud, etc. She said she just had to give it the ‘I’m just doing my job’ front and play down any advances that came her way.

Having been to many games where the physio is female, and heard the songs aimed at them, I wonder how long into a female manager's career it would be before papers say "subjected to sexist singing" when a few drunken fans give it "Get your tits out for the lads!"

It will happen eventually.

Some clever team will realise that a) good managers are in short supply, and b) this lack of supply is partially because half the population aren't considered for the role.

It's a market inefficiency that a clever team will exploit.

Having been to many games where the physio is female, and heard the songs aimed at them, I wonder how long into a female manager's career it would be before papers say "subjected to sexist singing" when a few drunken fans give it "Get your tits out for the lads!"

Then said manager would have been subjected to sexist singing?

Why are we so obsessed about this issue? It’s a matter of numbers, no different to saying how long until we see a Pakistani manager. They make up a very small percentage of the people in Scotland who are interested enough in football to choose a career which would lead to management. White men are just a huge majority in that category in this country and frankly who cares?

Dressing room facials is probably why!!!

Pfft, yeah, i know, imagine the papers saying subject to sexist treatment when they were subject to sexist treatment, what a palaver that would be.

We've seen Sturgeon take on the Sweeper and Director of PR role at the Tims, so why not management next?

Surely Phil Neville and the woman's team manage that? Don't think you'd need to be a member of Mensa to figure a work around for it.

Pfft, yeah, i know, imagine the papers saying subject to sexist treatment when they were subject to sexist treatment, what a palaver that would be.

You missed the point. I am saying that the first focus would be on her gender when a handful of fans sing about a physical attribute, and not the skills or attributes brought as a manager on equal ground with a male counterpart.

You missed the point. I am saying that the first focus would be on her gender when a handful of fans sing about a physical attribute, and not the skills or attributes brought as a manager on equal ground with a male counterpart.

Any worse than what gets sung at male managers?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Shelley Kerr managing a team in Scotland at some point as her profile builds.

I personally think she is probably very good manager and could operate in the male professional leagues. It will take for a smaller team who are looking for a bit of recognition and willing to take a bit of a risk. ITC or Raith Rovers that type.

Would be interesting to see how she would do.

As someone said above it would be refreshing if it wasn’t the usual merry go round of the usual suspects

It will happen and if it doesn't happen naturally it'll be forced to happen. I personally don't think it should but male sport will have no choice

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Shelley Kerr managing a team in Scotland at some point as her profile builds.

I personally think she is probably very good manager and could operate in the male professional leagues. It will take for a smaller team who are looking for a bit of recognition and willing to take a bit of a risk. ITC or Raith Rovers that type.

As someone said above it would be refreshing if it wasn’t the usual merry go round of the usual suspects
To be honest she's an atrocious manager and is the main reason the Woman's team didn't get out the group - been absolutely slated after 2 of the 3 games for her poor tactics.

So there may well be a female manager who gets a role at a smaller club but it won't be her

To be honest she's an atrocious manager and is the main reason the Woman's team didn't get out the group - been absolutely slated after 2 of the 3 games for her poor tactics.

So there may well be a female manager who gets a role at a smaller club but it won't be her

No shes hopeless really poor manager she totally fecked up the world cup for Scotland, not saying there isnt other women that could manage im sure there is but that woman is awful. Dreadful.

Any chance of Kerr getting a job went down the tubes in that last 20 minutes.

The VAR and referee overshadowed the fact that at 3-0 and 3-1, Scotland continued to push up the park trying to score a 4th. It didn't last 3-2 long enough to continue.

An Under 12's manager would have brought on a more defensive minded player and stuck them in front of the back 4. She did nothing. It was criminally bad managing.

The current sfa manager is. Wee stephanie clarke done no bad at killie but couldnt take a bit of a sing song wee soul. Think that might be a problem for woman in dugouts in scotland

Gabriella Benson

Oh, yesssss!

cherie-lunghi-the-actress-mirrorpix-B4FXXY.jpg

Back