World Cup USA 94

Fitba Juice

What are your memories of it?
Seems a lot of people weren't fond of it, but other than the final, I thought it was pretty decent. I was only 13 at the time but remember watching a few games. Massive crowds and plenty of goals.

Signing Salenko and thinking he was going to be as prolific as he was at this world cup.. 7 goals in 16 games for us. He was also latterly the manager of the Ukrainian beach football team!

I was very young.

I remember young Ronaldo being in the squad?

Romario being the superstar striker.

Romania or Bulgaria oddly in my mind as well?

RoI and Andy Townsend playing is an odd one. Steve Staunton as well.

Weird the shit you remember.

I'm a fan of it because it's the first one I can remember properly.

Diana Ross kicking off the show in style.
A Colombia player being assassinated after they got knocked out.
Oleg Salenko's 5 goals.
Sweden (Brolin), Bulgaria (Stoitchkov) and Romania (Hagi) were good value as underdogs.
Letchkov's diving header against Germany.
Batistuta and Maradona with his crazy eyes.
Baggio and Romario were the stars.

I was rooting for Brazil and was delighted they won. I think I still have my Brazil home top in the attic.

I was 10 and it was my first memory of watching a international tournament and thought it was brilliant

I made a 50p bet with my old man before the tournament that Italy would win it and he said Brazil

think I still owe him that 50p :))

rom_98.jpg

Seems a lot of people weren't fond of it, but other than the final, I thought it was pretty decent. I was only 13 at the time but remember watching a few games. Massive crowds and plenty of goals.
First World Cup I properly watched age 9, games were mainly on at decent times. Remember loving Bulgaria and Romania, hagi, stoitchkov,the Maradona celebration and his downfall and the Nigeria team were quite entertaining. That Saudi goal was a screamer as well.

My granda went over for a few games in detroit and California as he had family over in both places and brought me back a programme for the tournament that I still have.

I was under 10 years old so slept through most of it due to the kickoff times if I remember.

I do remember being gutted at Baggio missing the penalty though.

Folk will always say this wasn't the best and previous or post was better but here's a run down of what made it and folk weren't happy about it.

• It was in USA and they didn't particularly know the rules.
  • No home nations there.
  • ROI beating Italy in first game.
  • The Columbian defender getting shot (not because of that goal but that's another thread)
  • USA doing well (2nd round)
  • Bulgaria beating Germany.
  • Romania doing well.
  • Sweden performing well and finishing 3rd.
  • Holland v Brazil in QF
  • Baggio dragging an average team to the final.
  • Romario and Bebeto being unreal.
  • Final being a bit rubbish.
  • Kick off times horrible.
Was amazing in my opinion but others can disagree.

I was under 10 years old so slept through most of it due to the kickoff times if I remember.

I do remember being gutted at Baggio missing the penalty though.
if you watched Football Italia, Baggio was "one of your guys" at that time :(

Italy weren't getting anywhere near that final without him but unfortuantely it's always mentioned as him being the reason for them not winning

Was it not the other way around. I'm sure Leonardo ended up missing the rest of the tournament with the suspension.

Leonardo missed rest of tournament as he fractured Ramos's skull.

He probably regrets that he never smashed more Gringos :D

I was very young.

I remember young Ronaldo being in the squad?

Romario being the superstar striker.

Romania or Bulgaria oddly in my mind as well?

RoI and Andy Townsend playing is an odd one. Steve Staunton as well.

Weird the shit you remember.
What was odd about Staunton playing for them?

I was 9.

Remember my favourite Germany, Italian and Dutch teams, full a greats.

Main memory is being at my grans and watching that game when Maradona scored and ran to the camera looking absolutely out his tits. Even at 9 you could tell he was a mad man.

I know 82 and 86 are regarded highly. Can't be having 90 though, it was that bad they had to change the rules of football :)) At least there were goals in 94, until the final
90 was memorable, the football wasn't the best but it's still an iconic World Cup, which is still spoken about fondly.

The powerful Germans, Cameroon, Baresi and Baggio, Toto Schillachi, the cheating Argies, England doing well, Gazzas tears, Nessun Dorma, so many memorable moments :))

Baggio basically dragged Italy to the final. He had an outstanding tournament and its a real shame it ended the way it did with the spot kick. A brilliant footballer.

It was garbage, games on at midnight. Really poor quality. Horrible final. Not many memorable games either. In a nutshell, shite. One if the worst. 90/94/98 probably the 3 worst world cups of my lifetime.

Back