World Cup USA 94

Ray Houghton scoring a screamer for the Irish beggars to win 1 -0 in the opener against Italy also Roberto Baggio's pony tail. Shite reception gor coverage of games on TV, Not the best world cup, I thought Italia 90 was the best ever .

I was very young.

I remember young Ronaldo being in the squad?

Romario being the superstar striker.

Romania or Bulgaria oddly in my mind as well?

RoI and Andy Townsend playing is an odd one. Steve Staunton as well.

Weird the shit you remember.
Romania, Bulgaria and Sweden were all great. Romania making the quarter finals after a great 2nd round game against Argentina, Hagi senior at his peak was tremendous. Knocked out by semi-finalists Sweden I think in quarters. Bulgaria made the semis after knocking out Germany in the quarters thanks to a diving header from bald genius Letchkov and a brilliant free kick from Stoichkov (like Hagi, at his peak here).

It's one of the tragedies of football that Roberto Baggio's penalty miss taints his legacy. If he hadn't missed and Italy had somehow won it, then his 1994 World Cup story has parallels with Maradona in 1986 or Messi in 2022, he dragged Italy to that final. But then that's the difference, Maradona and Messi found a way to dig it out when it went to the wire. Baggio a bit unlucky all the same.

Only started to enjoy it once the Oirish got papped out.

Was in the hotel bar in Portugal decked out in red, white and blue and got a few growls for laughing when Bonner fucked up for Holland’s second goal.

Letchkov the Bulgarian sticks in my mind in a game in NY/NJ stadium.
Brilliant Kick off times for us Bears living in NA.
Hagi was awesome
Romario was deadly
The money that was made from that WC kick started the MLS........30yrs later Messi is playing in the MLS !!!!!!
Rangers continue to sign players from that league.

Both Romania & Bulgaria had great teams.

Jack Charlton going bananas on the touch line. B-D

The Divine Ponytail in the final after having a decent tournament.

Folk will always say this wasn't the best and previous or post was better but here's a run down of what made it and folk weren't happy about it.

• It was in USA and they didn't particularly know the rules.
Well that wasn’t true. Believe it or not, there are a few football supporters from foreign countries in US. May not have known some of the nuances like the geniuses on here though.
  • The Columbian defender getting shot (not because of that goal but that's another thread)
Great 30 for 30 on the Escobars.
  • Holland v Brazil in QF
Was at this game in Dallas. Best game of the tournament.
  • Romario and Bebeto being unreal.
See above QF.
  • Kick off times horrible.
Agree, that QF kicked off in the heat of the day in Dallas Texas, in the middle of summer. Lucky Scotland weren’t there, the peely, wally would have been dropping like flies.

FWIW, in terms of potential fan experience and fun, then suspect the upcoming one in the US could be the best ever.

They’ve learned a lot and the facilities will
Be top notch.

Well that wasn’t true. Believe it or not, there are a few football supporters from foreign countries in US. May not have known some of the nuances like the geniuses on here though.

I just remember the ball going I to the crowds at times and them thinking it was like baseball then not returning.

Probably happened twice or something but 30years on you only remember the main parts not the other 189times the ball was probably flung back without an issue.

Still a fantastic tournament, one that I wished Super was at. Saying that Roxburgh would have dropped him in place of John McGinley if he got us there.

8 years old, first World Cup I remember. Trying to stay awake for the late games but ultimately failing. Leonardo's elbow. Running about with friends singing Goala Goala America when we scored at the park, followed laterally by doing a Baggio and skying the ball. Simpler times. Loved it.

Watched the bulk of it in Tenerife on one of my first lads holidays. Thought it was fantastic.

Late kick offs and early beers meant the details are sketchy however.

A great World Cup for smaller nations key players becoming stars on the back of it.

Watched the bulk of it in Tenerife on one of my first lads holidays. Thought it was fantastic.

Late kick offs and early beers meant the details are sketchy however.

A great World Cup for smaller nations key players becoming stars on the back of it.

Bulgaria, Romania and Sweden were a breath of fresh air.

Made a change from the usual teams hogging the headlines.

I was at the Germany v Bulgaria quarter final, Bulgaria won 2-1.
I thought it was a good World Cup.
Saw Bulgaria beat Argentina 2 0 in Dallas. Travelled 6 hrs to get to game ,gutted to arrive and hear Maradona was banned for final group game. Other memory of the game was American families trying to get mad Argentina fans to sit down as they couldn't see match. That went well.

I was very young.

I remember young Ronaldo being in the squad?

Romario being the superstar striker.

Romania or Bulgaria oddly in my mind as well?

RoI and Andy Townsend playing is an odd one. Steve Staunton as well.

Weird the shit you remember.
When they won the world cup he was the only 1 wearing either an Italy top or the blue Brazil top. My brother pointed out that he was going to be the best player in the world in a few years

John Aldridge going tonto over water
I think he was trying to get onto the pitch and the official was pissing about for something like 5 minutes. For some reason the guy just wouldn’t let the Irish make a substitute for ages. It was the game v Mexico, which they lost 2-1.

Gutted for Baggio in the Final.

He was a football icon at the time, loved watching him in the Serie A.
May be misremembering, but I don't think Baggio was a starter going into the tournament or in the group stages.

Was a standout in the knockout rounds

May be misremembering, but I don't think Baggio was a starter going into the tournament or in the group stages.

Was a standout in the knockout rounds
You’re thinking of Italia 90 mate. Baggio was definitely a starter for Italy from the outset

My favourite World Cup as it was my first one, I’ve a theory your favourite tournament tends to be the first one you can remember.

Was different times back then, you didn’t know all the players like the kids do now. Sticker books with excitement of getting players you’d never heard of and learning who they play for domestically etc.

Maradona coked out his tits.

Nauseating love in with the RoI because the home nations didn't qualify - even as an 8 year old it seemed OTT.

Jack Charlton going apeshit at the officials in one of the group games - something to do with John Aldridge getting treatment?

Hagi scoring from the wing against the Colombians.

Andres Escobar's OG.

Baggio's penalty miss in the final.

I was 9 when it was on, and loved the whole thing. Seeing these big clean modern stadiums was a right treat too, the USA were great hosts.

My favourite memory of it was the Republic of Ireland beating Italy in the qualifiers. I didn’t get on with my stepdad and the c*nt asked if I wanted to bet on the game - a fiver (my pocket money from my wee Nana for that week) and I said I thought Italy would win.

Just before the game he actually claimed I said I thought Ireland would win and guilt tripped me about it (seriously, who puts a bet on like that with a 9 year old) and I ended up saying ok.

He was effing RAGING when they won, and I made a point of making him hand over the fiver there and then cause I knew he’d try and squirm out of it.

Absolute pr*ck who tried to take advantage of me not knowing much about football at the time so he could get a packet of fags.

As a youngster kick off times werent great.

17:30 21:00 00:30

Woke up to find out what happened each day on the late game.

ITV trying to make Matt Lorenzo a thing.

Coverage felt much more removed than Italia 90 as Scotland England hadnt qualified.

Hipsters of the time telling us Colombia and Bolivia would shock the world.

The Saturday night quarter finals were superb. Italy Spain then Holland Brazil.

Last edited:
John Motson continually saying Eric Wiinaaldah in a strange voice.

Scot, Ray Houghton scoring a winner for RoI v Italy.

Oleg Salenko and Roger Milla.

A couple of solo goals from players I'd never heard of.

Hagi wonder goal followed by stupid dance.

Baldy Letchkov v Germany

Colombia player getting murdered, rumoured to be about the og.

Shit final and shit penalty from the 'devine ponytail' who had carried Italy to the final.

Underage drinking in the park on Summer evenings and going to mate's to watch some of the games.

My Dad was at the final.

I remember my Mum sitting moaning about him because it was also her birthday whilst watching the final on the tele.

Watching the final in the ferry terminal in Larne with the full knowledge that the boat wasn’t until the next morning. It was a long night

Remember that elbow on the USA player by Leonardo that looked extremely painful. From recollection it was a good tournament but the final between Italy and Brazil was a stuffy disappointment.
Felt bad for Roberto Baggio. Pretty sure Baresi also skied his penalty.

Oddly never see this mentioned anywhere but I remember a Mexican defender getting tangled in the nets and it collapsed the goal. I'm sure I remember seeing a few guys carrying a new set of goals out to replace them.

Never seen anything like that since. I asked my mate if he remembered it and his response was "that was Diana Ross"

My favourite World Cup so far. Loved everything about it. The games, the atmosphere and even the fact the games were on at mental times. Was a great tournament and some of the goals were unreal.

Great 30 for 30 on the Escobars.

Was at this game in Dallas. Best game of the tournament.

See above QF.

Agree, that QF kicked off in the heat of the day in Dallas Texas, in the middle of summer. Lucky Scotland weren’t there, the peely, wally would have been dropping like flies.
I played rec football in a team we called the Foreign Legion. We were all in our late twenties to late thirties but all of us were half decent. Two Scots, three English, an Italian, four Mexicans, two Brazilians, a Bolivian, a Guatemalan and three Americans. We all went to a couple of games together with a piss up at both. Great times.

Ray Houghton scoring a screamer for the Irish beggars to win 1 -0 in the opener against Italy also Roberto Baggio's pony tail. Shite reception gor coverage of games on TV, Not the best world cup, I thought Italia 90 was the best ever .

First thing I thought of that, think it was a Saturday teatime.

That and Charlton and Aldridge and the water carry on.

Other than that just Maradona going crackers at the camera, Saudi Arabia bloke scoring a good one? Was only 13, don’t remember much compared to Italia 90.

As a youngster kick off times werent great.

17:30 21:00 00:30

Woke up to find out what happened each day on the late game.

ITV trying to make Matt Lorenzo a thing.

Coverage felt much more removed than Italia 90 as Scotland England hadnt qualified.

Hipsters of the time telling us Colombia and Bolivia would shock the world.

The Saturday night quarter finals were superb. Italy Spain then Holland Brazil.

lol I remember that about Colombia, they were fancied though. Seen this a few months ago and thought it come handy one day:

Back