Worst Referee performance involving us.

Beaton v Hibs was a shocker but fortunately a one off as hes usually quite fair and gets more right than wrong.

Clancy 12/19 at the methadome stands out for me and it was verging on blatant favouritism rather than incompetence. And thats more concerning than a ref whos just not good or has a bad day.

Some of the older bears will remember some legendary fuuck ups from the likes of Andrew Waddell, Bob Valentine, and Alan Freeland but they got off lightly before the live TV cameras and Socila Media came along !

In England refs aren't allowed to referee games involving a team they support, given the history between the two clubs I've always thought that to stop any allegations of bias it could be an idea that referees who are fans of rangers or celtic shouldn't be allowed to referee games involving rangers or celtic .

e.g refs who support celtic aren't allowed to ref any games involving celtic or rangers and refs who support rangers can't referee games involving celtic or rangers.

But that might rule out too many refs from refereeing games.

2011 Callum Murray. The game that led to the Government probe.

I’ve never seen a referee so out of his depth, he lost control of the game altogether.
was that the Scottish cup replayytie? Strange thing is he had an excellent game in the original game at Ibrox - despite sending of Naisy.

Clancy at the Piggery and Beaton at the Hibs game

Hard pressed to beat these two.

Kevin Clancy’s performance that day was the first time I genuinely believed a referee was cheating us.

John Beaton’a against Hibs was simply the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen.

Honourable mention goes to Bob Valentine in the 1989 Scottish Cup Final also.

Allowed Roy Aitken to take our throw-in which led directly to their goal, then disallowed a perfectly good Terry Butcher goal.

One for older bears, who was the ref that allowed the Clyde player to kick Colin Stein all over the place only to send Stein off for retaliation
Stein subsequently missed the cup final v surprise surprise the mhanky mob!

Incompetent refs don't come worse than the one who allowed the penalty kicks v Sporting Lisbon during the 71/72 ECWC campaign - out then in!
The player in question was Eddie Mulhearn, no idea who the ref was. It was mentioned in an article a couple of years ago.

Another one for Beaton versus Hibs

Atrocious. I think that is the first and only time I ever went to work the next day and complained about the referee to people, I normally get over it pretty quickly but that one really narked me.

was that the Scottish cup replayytie? Strange thing is he had an excellent game in the original game at Ibrox - despite sending of Naisy.
That’s right, the cup replay.

I always thought that he was a ‘homer’ and he let the home crowd influence his decisions.

The one where Collum gave us a pen and sent off pingpong ? There goal was offside but that was the linesmans call not the refs.
Yeah, that's the one, and why my post says poor officiating, rather than just the ref.
Fair play, if your giving the ref credit for getting two decisions correct. That is his job though.

For me, Beaton v Hibs sticks out, Tavenier been booked because Stokes assaulted him, Morelos getting booked when he was the victim. The list that day was endless.

Beaton in the Hibs game wasn't cheating, it was just pure and simple incompetence. Clancy on the other hand, he was going all out to help the scum win that day. I wonder if he continued to give penalties for jersey tugs at set pieces in games since. In fact, he didn't even give them in the same game, what am I thinking.

For other reasons and not incompetence, then Clancy at the Piggery last season.

Waddell also on numerous occasions comes close. Then there is Thomson.

Don Robertson will eventually overtake these three.

Think Beaton is just a shite & incompetent ref.
Agreed. Beaton against Hibs was the worst in recent memory but never felt Beaton was generally biased. That game he just seemed determined to fcuk us up.

Generally though Thomson, Clancy and Walsh have been the really biased refs. Thomson gone now but Clancy and Walsh now being rivalled by Robertson

Last edited:
Not a particularly bad performance but more a decision thats baffled me to this day. The home game against Rapid Vienna when they took the lead. The play is all 5 yards in front of the linesman and he is literally standing in the 3 yard channel between the last Rangers player and the Vienna player receiving the ball. The linesman is level with the cut of the grass and can clearly see every Rangers player is at least 1 yard to the left of the line and that the attacker is at least a yard to the right so how he failed to add all this up in he head is beyond me. Not as if he had to look about as everything was in his field of view right in front of him.

Didn't matter in the end I suppose

Reading about Craig Thomson in the St Mirren 9 man cup final got me wondering, what is the worst referee performance in one of our games in a domestic game?

Beaton's refereeing in the 2-3 game v Hibs when he sent off Ryan Jack is the angriest I have been leaving the ground from memory.
His refereeing of last February's Kilmarnock 2-1 game comes a close second.

I'd go for either beaton in that Hibs game or clancy in December 2019 v ceptic

Well, there are no plenty of examples, mostly in recent times. There are two that stand out for me:

The 5-5 game against Hibs in the last game of the season. Blatant penalty claims and sending offs summarily ignored.

The other is Clancy’s performance in the victory at Porkheid las year. Summed up for me by making Davis walk past the Orc hordes near the end of the game and the extra added time. That’s without going into the penalties, handballs and other incidents.

How he avoided investigation is a mystery.

It’s been going on for a very long time. Older bears may recall an evening game at Parkhead, when a Celtic player John Hughes committed an obvious sending off offence. The ref Jim Callaghan wouldn’t send Hughes off. It was so blatant that the SFA asked Callaghan for an explanation and he said that he was concerned that there would be crowd trouble if he sent the Celtic player off. Callaghan was suspended for 3 months. That didn’t help Rangers as they lost 1-0.

In my near 50 years Beaton's performance in the 3-2 home defeat to Hibs in August 2017 is a clear winner, nothing comes close.

It still irks with me to this day that our Board did not issue a statement condemning that performance, it was as close to being bent/corrupt as I have ever witnessed. His performance that day is what makes me not take too seriously this suggestion he is a Bear.

The player in question was Eddie Mulhearn, no idea who the ref was. It was mentioned in an article a couple of years ago.
Was at the game that day. Big Colin was on a run when Mulhearn booted him, no whistle, he carried on and Mulhearn again booted him same result, when he booted him for a third time Colin retaliated and was sent off.
The bastard in the black was Ian Foote, yet another one who was no friend of Rangers.

Clancy when we beat Celtic 2-1 at Parkhead.

It is the only time I have ever thought, and still do, that a referee is cheating.
I’m exactly the same mate. Still can’t believe some of the decisions. Iirc, there was 4 mins added on. On watching some highlights recently, I’m sure around 94 mins, you see Morelos just within our half while Celtic attacked. Meaning Alfie still has the run through, get sent off and I’m sure Celtic get to attack once again and take the resultant corner.

It’s hard to see past Gascognine getting a card for giving the ref a card when he dropped them. Talk about a humourless barsteward. Fortunately it didn’t end up costing us, but the was the worst I can’t think of.

1989 OF maybe, ruled out a good Butcher goal & I’m sure let Roy Aitken take a throw in that was very dubious, they scored from said throw.
There was nothing dubious about the throw-in , the linesman and everyone in the stadium saw it was a Rangers ball. Aitken just chanced his arm and took it.
The Rangers defenders and Miller didn't even react at first thinking the ball would be called back. Disbelief when the ref waved play on

Beaton v Hibs.

He decided - or was told - that Rangers were simply not allowed to win that game.

Clancy at the piggery was absolutely scandalous.

He gave them every chance possible to get an equaliser.

There was nothing dubious about the throw-in , the linesman and everyone in the stadium saw it was a Rangers ball. Aitken just chanced his arm and took it.
The Rangers defenders and Miller didn't even react at first thinking the ball would be called back. Disbelief when the ref waved play on
Like I said, I’ve never seen the game in any capacity so was just working off stuff I have read. I apologise for my use of word “dubious”.

Beaton vs. Hibs is the single most disgraceful refereeing performance I've ever seen in my life.

Stokes going nuclear against our full team and only getting a yellow whilst Jack got sent off for absolutely nothing. McGregor wrestling Morelos to the deck and getting a freekick for it. Dylan McGeough on a yellow and somehow escaping a red despite several fouls including a professional foul on the halfway line when we were on the break.

Was at the game that day. Big Colin was on a run when Mulhearn booted him, no whistle, he carried on and Mulhearn again booted him same result, when he booted him for a third time Colin retaliated and was sent off.
The bastard in the black was Ian Foote, yet another one who was no friend of Rangers.
Some memory mate!.

There has been that many, this thread could break the internet.
I’ll say Willie young 98 cup final, hearts get a pen for a foul outside the box Rangers get a free kick for a foul inside the box.
Cheating of the highest order.
To be fair to Willie he would have had difficulty seeing either as he rarely ventured outside the centre circle.

I really believe refs are just like players and have bad games and aren't helped by assistants who shit it to make a call.
But that Clancy Old Firm game is the closest Ive been to thinking the ref was bent. Watch it again, each time you find something new. The fact our backroom staff were so furious said it all.

It was no consolation that he sent off the late Eddie Mulheron as well ( he had already done his job )

Beaton vs. Hibs is the single most disgraceful refereeing performance I've ever seen in my life.

Stokes going nuclear against our full team and only getting a yellow whilst Jack got sent off for absolutely nothing. McGregor wrestling Morelos to the deck and getting a freekick for it. Dylan McGeough on a yellow and somehow escaping a red despite several fouls including a professional foul on the halfway line when we were on the break.
Not sure if I'm right on this, but I thought as well as McGregor getting the free kick for a flying clothesline, Morelos got booked into the bargain.

I'm sure the McGeough incident, Beaton actually booked McGregor in a case of "mistaken identity" rather than send the tottie headed mentally challenged off.

Back