Would Billy Gilmour have got a game for us ?

Graeme's dad

Our youth players should be developing in the first team.

I don't want to wank over Celtic but they did it with Tierney and made £25m as a result, they threw in Frimpong away at Aberdeen and he grabbed the chance with both hands.

Meanwhile Patterson does well on his debut and is immediately bombed out of the side for Flanagan at home to St Mirren.
Don't disagree with your sentiment at all mate, however, we were playing Hearts away in the Scottish Cup on the weekend and Gerrard was always going to play Flanagan in that match so needed the game time.

I was streaming Rangers TV on my laptop when we were playing Livingston, and had the telly on with Chelsea playing a League Cup match. Think Billy was making his debut from the bench. I remember thinking "Jesus, if Billy was playing against Livingston he would have been carried off by now". They were being allowed to hack at any Rangers player with impunity. Most of our players are big enough to look after themselves, but a 55kg player soaking wet, is going to get zero protection and will get hammered.

He is going to be an absolute class act but I do feel that he had to move to a different league to develop as a player. Scottish football is all about physicality and less to do with technique.

I think that Patterson does have more ability to deal with the physical aspect and really want him to kick on this season. At the very least, he needs to be the understudy to Tav.

JCDarcheville

I know we all want to see more of our home grown players in the first team but suggestions it’s impossible for a talented young lad to break through at Ibrox are far fetched.

The only players that have left out youth set up that id love to see in our team now are Gilmour (who we did our best to keep) and John Fleck. Fleck was mismanaged but also displayed a poor attitude, it’s taken him years to get his career to the level his talent deserves, we couldn’t exactly just wait around for that to happen.

our problem has been not enough quality in the youth set up, not a mystical lack of opportunity for deserving young players.

We do now appear to have some exciting prospects in Patterson, Kelly, Mayo, Mebude, Kennedy, Maxwell, King, Dickson, Young Coombes (I’m sure I’m missing some). That’s what we need is a volume of exciting young players as regardless of how good they are in youths, some of them will not make the step up.

I hope that with that crop noted above coming of age and continued focus on back filling at younger age groups, we can see an end to signings like Barker, Ojo, Stewart, Polster, Flanagan and Jones who shouldn’t be needed to fill out the squad.

Let's roll..

Can you see likes of Chelsea coming in for others due to success of Gilmour
Well why not? I hear they are monitoring Kennedy situation along with other top teams,so here is the situation you get a top prospect up here for pennies and if it works out happy days if not you will at least get your money back guarantee so nothing to lose eh?

HongKongTam

Serious question would he be playing in our first team ?

Or did he realise he would have a better chance of breaking through at Chelsea.

Is this the reason we missed out on Charlie Allen ?

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

Greg Docherty 90 SPL games with Hamilton under his belt.

Ross McCrorie 40 odd SPL games with us.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.
I'd say the gaffer would have given him a chance.

Money prevailed. Same with that boy who left the tarriers and is now on his arse.

Chelsea obviously have far superior facilities and would be training with better players. World out sometimes, others, it doesn't.

CF3 Bear

Of course he would have. He had a worse chance of playing at Chelsea but benefitted from their transfer ban.

We don't have a horrific record of using youths in the first team as proven by not many proving us wrong elsewhere.

You also mention Hastie. He was on Rotherham's bench so hardly cutting it up.

Where we have a horrific record is in the years before that so that they are actually good enough to play for us. That's sorted now

Gilmour was already on the brink as was.
This in abundance. Rather than blame the first team for not bringing them through (but then conveniently forgetting they go on to very little usually), we should be asking why we aren't bringing in the talent and at a young age to be good enough for the first team.

I think Fleck is the only one I can think of where we discounted and Got rid who then went on to do well.

dt17

A mate of mine.....
Nope, too wee and would've been booed as soon as he misplaced a pass. We wouldn't throw a boy that young into that situation. We don't give youth a chance at all it's embarrassing.

KingAlbertz

i don’t think up til now he would have featured much at all

would love to have him still at the club but as things stand it’s hard to argue with his decision .

Brunosponytail

I don’t think there is a doubt he would have broken through here. However at what level would he be at now? Who knows. Maybe not quite as high as he is at Chelsea but you never know, he would have one of the best midfielders in the business as his boss now.

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Of course he would

I was hopeful we might get him on loan but he has done so well I doubt t there is any chance of that happening.

IMO
Serious question , is Kennedy physically ready for the first team?
He looked tiny against Stranraer.
IMO if he is good enough technically, then the physicality bit shouldn’t matter too much unless he is a centre back or a goal keeper. It’s up to young Kennedy to adapt his game and find an answer against players who are physically bigger than him. I believe the best youth players in our squad are regularly given this challenge by being played a year group up. Maybe it’s time we put it into practice.

BlueSevenTwo

IMO

IMO if he is good enough technically, then the physicality bit shouldn’t matter too much unless he is a centre back or a goal keeper. It’s up to young Kennedy to adapt his game and find an answer against players who are physically bigger than him. I believe the best youth players in our squad are regularly given this challenge by being played a year group up. Maybe it’s time we put it into practice.
He will need to adapt for sure against the assorted hammer throwers but cheers for the various replies , I will bow to the judgement of those who have seen him play and hope we have a star in the making.

Gers11

Serious question would he be playing in our first team ?

Or did he realise he would have a better chance of breaking through at Chelsea.

Is this the reason we missed out on Charlie Allen ?

Jake Hastie proved with Motherwell he could handle the SPL, 6 goals in 18 top flight games, 50odd championship games under his belt.

Greg Docherty 90 SPL games with Hamilton under his belt.

Ross McCrorie 40 odd SPL games with us.

All pumped out on loan whilst we bring in untried development players from down south and journeymen like Polster.
Not to many games, as the hammer throwers would have kicked him out the game.You get more time on the ball, playing in other countries.Excluding Scotland .

Let's roll..

Not to many games, as the hammer throwers would have kicked him out the game.You get more time on the ball, playing in other countries.Excluding Scotland .
Barry McKay did reasonable well against physical presence so think the small arguement is irrelevant tbh.

jdm1873

No. I don't think our game would have been suited to him with his build etc. I reckon if he made his debut he would be clubbed within seconds.

two2tango

Official Ticketer
The lad is a very special talent he looked like Chelsea’s best player in the games I’ve seen him

anyone who thinks he wouldt get a game for us is aff there heids

tottie beck

I believe he would have under Gerrard. Not so sure about his predecessors though. I’m trying to remember who was in charge when he left?

Regardless I think the pull and finances of an EPL club would have lured him anyway, but Stevie-G might have made him pause to think

Jase

Bit of a no brainer. If he can cut it in a top EPL side he would surely be able to cut in the SPFL.

Feel we lost out wi him.

jackstar

I still think he'd be on the fringes and I think it's high time we started drafting in these young players. I think supporters would be patient if they knew we were bringing them in, I know what the matchday threads are like but by and large I think most of us would welcome it. If it's good for Chelsea then it should be for us. The difference is they get the chance to express themselves in the EPL,they don't in this backwater.

Last edited:

bleau

He is definitely good enough , but he would havd been lucky to not get a serious injury in this shitty league talent will not be allowed to flourish if you wear the blue jersey

BlueSevenTwo

He is definitely good enough , but he would havd been lucky to not get a serious injury in this shitty league talent will not be allowed to flourish if you wear the blue jersey
The likes of Clancy and his ilk would stand back and allow this to happen.

Deek

Official Ticketer
He was running rings around our senior pros in training as a 15 year old, think it’s safe to say he’d be getting a game by now.

dt17

A mate of mine.....
Appreciate it’s not just looked really small for a hammer throwers league.

Messi I would suggest is a one off but I get the principle.
Xavi, Iniesta are of the same mould.

Scotland needs less focus on hammer throwers and more on technical ability.

Wugs

Yes , but you can understand why he left.
Thuggery
Plastic pitches
Corruption
Never mind the EPL and more money.

BlueSevenTwo

Xavi, Iniesta are of the same mould.

Scotland needs less focus on hammer throwers and more on technical ability.
Xavi and Iniesta are special players too , if Kennedy is that quality then there’s no question but I wouldn‘t envisage this.

You are right though too many hammer throwers but the whole system would need to be changed.
in Scotland players like Lee Wilkie and Darren Dodds can make a career based on physical size.
The grass roots mentality is big guys beat little guys and too many pro clubs buy in to this.

rfc_chris_rfc

Probably wouldn’t have been given an opportunity if we are being honest. Just need to look at the Patterson situation last season, instead of playing him, we play a full back who directly opposes our style of play in flanagan.

Chainman

Looks a quality player, hopefully gets more game time for Chelsea to develop more. Will get 100 + caps for Scotland

El Mas Loco

He probably wouldn’t have gotten a chance. We seem to want to go down the route of guys who couldn’t get a game for lower league English players rather than putting trust in our own youth set up.

German top flight teams playing 16/17 year olds. Yet we’re to believe Rangers don’t have a youth player with enough talent to play against Hamilton Accies?

Like you all I really want our youngsters to progress to the first team and beyond, but if you expect that to happen as we try to stop the tainted 10 then you are delusional I fear. That is why so few, in relevant terms, of OF youngsters make it at either club

Rudolph Hucker

No he wouldn’t and I’ll tell you why. Chelsea have better coaches and an established setup geared towards excellence. They also have proper professional players who can mentor him and provide an example. All of these factors have accelerated his development. If he’d stayed at Ibrox he’d have been working under Murty and been mentored by the likes of Ejaria, Tavernier and Jones. Not to mention played out of position by the manager if he did make it into the first team.

He made the correct decision for his career, and it’ll happen again with any good youngster we find until we stop meekly accepting failure as a club and insist on excellence in all areas on and off the park.

I really think that Gilmour is an absolute talent, could be a once in a generation player.

He would have got his chance with us and proved himself. My only doubt, as mentioned previously, is that the referees would have afforded him no protection whatsoever.