Would Candeias fit in better for us now?

BIG JAI

i really liked him and was a bit pissed about him leaving as i always thought he was a danger from the right at a time when we had no other, even when he left he was still producing the goods but or some reason both he and gerrard agreed he would be better away

BIG JAI

He would fit in really well beside windass doc and mccrorie sitting at auchenhowie cleaning the boots ....

They all made some sort of contribution whilst they were with us ( how much or little is up for debate ) but fact is we have moved the quality up several levels and these guys have been left behind ... onwards and upwards!
an utter shit and disrespectful comment about a very good Rangers player

SDF

i really liked him and was a bit pissed about him leaving as i always thought he was a danger from the right at a time when we had no other, even when he left he was still producing the goods but or some reason both he and gerrard agreed he would be better away

Rangers have "reluctantly but respectfully" allowed Daniel Candeias to talk to a Turkish side about a possible move, says Steven Gerrard.

The Portuguese winger, 31, is in the final year of his Ibrox contract.
He was not involved in either leg of Rangers' 10-0 Europa League first qualifying round rout of St Joseph's.

Speaking after Thursday's 6-0 home win, manager Gerrard said he wanted Candeias to "stay and fight for the shirt", but feels the player "wants to move on".

The club Candeias is poised to join is reported to be Genclerbirligi and the Ibrox manager added: "I had a conversation on Wednesday with Daniel and he said he wanted to go and speak to a team in Turkey. We've had an approach and we had a real adult conversation.

"I said I wanted him to stay and fight for the shirt and be part of the squad but he said he wants to go and explore the situation in Turkey so we reluctantly but respectfully granted him permission.

Baba Booey

I genuinely don't think Candeias gets enough credit on here. Not sure if it's because he was a Pedro signing or what, but I liked him and was disappointed when he left. And yes, I know Morelos and Jack were Caixinha signings too.

EDIT: That's not me arguing to bring him back. I'm just surprised at the reaction to him on here, that's all.

sportssocks

Had a few really good games and a few inconspicuous games. He wouldn't get into the team now so I don't understand why it's a question

BIG JAI

Rangers have "reluctantly but respectfully" allowed Daniel Candeias to talk to a Turkish side about a possible move, says Steven Gerrard.

The Portuguese winger, 31, is in the final year of his Ibrox contract.
He was not involved in either leg of Rangers' 10-0 Europa League first qualifying round rout of St Joseph's.

Speaking after Thursday's 6-0 home win, manager Gerrard said he wanted Candeias to "stay and fight for the shirt", but feels the player "wants to move on".

The club Candeias is poised to join is reported to be Genclerbirligi and the Ibrox manager added: "I had a conversation on Wednesday with Daniel and he said he wanted to go and speak to a team in Turkey. We've had an approach and we had a real adult conversation.

"I said I wanted him to stay and fight for the shirt and be part of the squad but he said he wants to go and explore the situation in Turkey so we reluctantly but respectfully granted him permission.
aye as i wrote that i thought about his age but couldnt remember what it was
thinking back now i remember thinking he only had another one good season in him and it was probably a case for the well being for everyone to leave when he did

Stuart_WATP

He wasn't good enough then and he isn't now.. however, his partnership with Tav is one we miss, and we need a player 'like' him to help Tav, but far better standard. He would always link up well with Tav but ultimately hit the first man with a cross 9 times out of 10 and we'd be on the back foot.

Jogbear

Still gutted he left but at the end of the day it was his choice. He could have stayed and fought for his place he was definitely good enough but no player should be promised a starting position as weve seen with alfie

Zizou

I was watching the rapid v game and the back heal pass by Candeias for Morelos goal was genius.
I was thinking now that our system of play is better would Candeias fit in better now and improve us?
Pointless thread and the answer is no

Captain_Buns

I was watching the rapid v game and the back heal pass by Candeias for Morelos goal was genius.
I was thinking now that our system of play is better would Candeias fit in better now and improve us?

Our system of play isn’t better now, it’s that we now have better players playing in the system.

Candeias wouldn’t fit in although maybe we do miss his work rate.

Fran Sand Dancer

Weird, was thinking about this exact question earlier today!

His work rate and speed of pressing would be more effective now than it was at the time certainly, a real underrated aspect he brought to the team was the timing and intensity of his pressing. The end product however was rarely good enough, especially with the frequency he got the opportunity to deliver a ball in.

Also too much of a hug the line winger for our present style of play, Its a no from me.

Jjbscotty

The way people go on about that pass candeias made is like the way the SMSM went on about that scott Allan pass at Ibrox, I don’t think it was that great tbh.

wd1872

He wasn't good enough then and he isn't now.. however, his partnership with Tav is one we miss, and we need a player 'like' him to help Tav, but far better standard. He would always link up well with Tav but ultimately hit the first man with a cross 9 times out of 10 and we'd be on the back foot.

Our defensive record this season shows we do not 'need' a player who's sole purpose is to 'help' Tav.

If Tav 'needs' an attacking winger to cover his arse then Tav shouldn't be in team.

Candeias never was and never will be good enough, end of.

Norskger

I thought he was great, most of the time, not 100% consistent. But on his game he was great. However, I'm not sure he would fit in better now. Wouldn't fit in any worse.

tazzabear

Candelas, I thought, was excellent for us.
However, given the fluidity of our front four this season, what did you see that’d make you think he’d adapt to this?
There was a lot to admire in his game, qualities that I wish others had, but, overall, he would not be an improvement on our game just now.
I’m sure that’s the bottom line here.

tazzabear

The way people go on about that pass candeias made is like the way the SMSM went on about that scott Allan pass at Ibrox, I don’t think it was that great tbh.
The pass from Candeias?
Yes, you see that level of vision and thinking in every game.

prenzlauerbear

A player whose ability was drastically blown out of proportion as some fans desperately sought to fill the Iberian workhorse, Nacho Novo-shaped hole in their hearts.

So average.

Bradbo88

Would have been a better option than barker, but not a starter.

Potentially could have converted him to a right back, but that would hinder Pattersons development long term.

MearnsUnionist

He'd lost his place in our team long before he left and while he did well for us on occasion, we've moved on to better players and a new formation.

I don't see him fitting in to it personally.

Chester Loyal

No.

He was good for what we needed at the time but isn’t good enough for where we need to be.

I like him and I wish him all the best but we’re a better team without him.

The idea that Tav can’t defend without him in front of him has also been quashed hopefully.

Baxter Blue

Well that’s my idea about DC well and truly put straight.
Still think he would be a better option than Barker though.

BBBear

an utter shit and disrespectful comment about a very good Rangers player
A comment made in jest to highlight he isn’t good enough for us now , no disrespect intended

I’d agree he was a decent signing , wasn’t a “ very good Rangers player” , IMO you don’t win leagues with DC in your starting 11....

Again, no disrespect intended , he gave his all - complimented tav very well , but for me we are in a much better place now squad level wise.

barcode

We really do have an obsession about bringing players back. He did ok for us but nowhere near what we need now. Looking forward to next week when we will have a Bring back Jason Holt thread.

Boabmeister

I loved DC , he’s one of several players who left that I wished we’d won a trophy for , even more than I want us to win a trophy personally, if he was signed tomorrow I’d be fine with that , he sure had the Presbyterian work ethic .

In my 40odd years supporting Rangers , that’s the best assist I can remember.

change consent