Would you be happy with that back 4 against Celtic at Piggery

I now wonder if the reason balogun played rhs CD yesterday may be linked to footballing ability where we had Tav at his side and on the left he has went for Souttar with the more running and forceful style of Sterling . Trying to blend to make each side as potent as possible as by the looks we played more football through the MF yesterday .
Souttar made one key error yesterday that is absolutely sure and it’s not for the first time where effectively I pressured situations gave seen that happen however i would definitely rate Goldson as the player with the most significant mistakes in him across the current calendar year .

The whole defence have schoolboy errors in them unfortunately but i'd take Souttar ahead of Goldson. Souttar tends to throw himself into blocks and on occasions bursts forward creating space. Goldson tends to panic when being pressed, always taking too many touches and slowing the tempo, couple of seasons ago, he was pinging 40 yard passes with ease, most games now are just hoofs up the park now or straight out the park

Think if that Maeda lady's front bottom is fit we play sterling RB and move tav forward one yilmaz at LB if Maeda not fit play Sterling in midfield

I have no idea why balogun has had so little game time obviously his age means he isn't clements long term solution but we need players for the here and now. Would have had him ages ago. Soutter isn't good enough long term either so don't know why he hasn't seen game time

I now wonder if the reason balogun played rhs CD yesterday may be linked to footballing ability where we had Tav at his side and on the left he has went for Souttar with the more running and forceful style of Sterling . Trying to blend to make each side as potent as possible as by the looks we played more football through the MF yesterday .
Souttar made one key error yesterday that is absolutely sure and it’s not for the first time where effectively I pressured situations gave seen that happen however i would definitely rate Goldson as the player with the most significant mistakes in him across the current calendar year .

Eindhoven & Benfica horrific mistakes D.

Huge matches for us too.

People like Bair & Ayounga gave him problems all day too.

I just think he’s finished.

Goldson is usually awful in old firms.
I do doubt him too his record really isn’t good and ye I appreciate it’s a team sport and therefore not straight line but in a fair number he has been unable to compete in duels and command opposition and what we ask in those matches is the players each win there’s .
Thats my eye and mind test view I don’t have stats to back that but I simply don’t see us winning OFs with him this season .

Tbf actually 55 season he scored twice at the filthdome that’s major but has he scored v them since I can’t think of another ?

Yes, the truth is, with Balogun’s age too, we truly have no CD’s we can fully trust.

I just think Souttar is quicker, stronger & braver than Goldson, but both have errors in them.

I think he comes across as it, but he actually isn't outwith being a shade quicker (its like firing Dessers and Salenko onto a 100 yard dash and waiting on them finishing tbf)

His crumbling act at Parkhead was as bad as Davies that day at Parkhead, just lucky he didn't have stupid floppy hair or he would have got the same treatment from the fans :D

I do doubt him too his record really isn’t good and ye I appreciate it’s a team sport and therefore not straight line but in a fair number he has been unable to compete in duels and command opposition and what we ask in those matches is the players each win there’s .
Thats my eye and mind test view I don’t have stats to back that but I simply don’t see us winning OFs with him this season .

Tbf actually 55 season he scored twice at the filthdome that’s major but has he scored v them since I can’t think of another ?

He is a CH, It isn't his job to score goals.

It is job to help keep them out, and in the last 2 1/2 years he and the rest of that defence have failed spectacularly.

Sterling, Souttar and Balogun in the back 4.

Do you think it will happen?
Probably not.
There is a presumption that Balogun will be fit for starters.
I think Goldson dropped to give him a boot up the arse.
I also think Sterling would be better employed out of left back.

I think he comes across as it, but he actually isn't outwith being a shade quicker (its like firing Dessers and Salenko onto a 100 yard dash and waiting on them finishing tbf)

His crumbling act at Parkhead was as bad as Davies that day at Parkhead, just lucky he didn't have stupid floppy hair or he would have got the same treatment from the fans :D

There’s no doubt he let us down that day & I won’t go point scoring, but suffice to say Kyogo has 7 in 8 against us IIRC.

If Goldson made the 2 errors Souttar made everyone would be going tonto. Goldson has had a poor season but I think its on the back of the injury disrupting pre-season. I reckon he will have a tremendous season next year.

Often when we think a player is "done" they come back for one last hurrah and prove us all wrong.

If Goldson made the 2 errors Souttar made everyone would be going tonto. Goldson has had a poor season but I think its on the back of the injury disrupting pre-season. I reckon he will have a tremendous season next year.

Often when we think a player is "done" they come back for one last hurrah and prove us all wrong.
So bench him until he gets a summer break and pre-season you think ?

Not sure which ‘two errors’ you mean from OF games maybe it can’t be yesterday because it was just one error by JS the second was Sterling pass going wrong

Last edited:
I mind Balogun started at RB against them and tbh thought he'd struggle but he had a great game so I wouldn't have any qualms about him lining up at CB. Every time a ball over the top comes in with Goldson there I get a tad nervous, no so with Leon.

I am hoping that Yilmaz will be back but if he is not (and I know that this will not go down well) I would rather have Borna play at left back and have Sterling in the midfield. I always believe that these games are won and lost in the midfield and having Sterling in there would increase our chances. I guess this is a numbers game and would we gain more from Sterling in the midfield rather than the defence and I reckon we would.

Butland
Tavernier Goldson Balogun Yilmaz
Lundstram Sterling
McCausland Cantwell Sima
Dessers.

Will be interesting to see if Goldson starts the next game.
No Diomande? o_O

Surely Dio next to Lundstram (I know, I know)

Then Sterling could play in RM/RW role where you've got McCausland

Souttar might have a mistake in him but he's regularly bailed out others for theirs and more often than not is the one that is in a scramble making a key block. It's something you never see from our other defenders and is needed. Yesterday is what we need to see more of. If Souttar does make an error (and it was a bad one) he should be regularly being bailed out by his teammates (as Tav did).
Goldson makes more mistakes than Souttar does and looks very very nervous.

Wouldn't play Goldson again until the current defence have a shocker.

So bench him until he gets a summer break and pre-season you think ?

Not sure which ‘two errors’ you mean from OF games maybe it can’t be yesterday because it was just one error by JS the second was Sterling pass going wrong
I don't think it would be the worst idea but he will start a few more before the end of the season.

The two times Souttar was caught in possession yesterday. That's the 2 I am referring to.

I would want Ridvan back,
Dujon sitting in front of the back 4 to atop Hatate, McGregor and O’Reilly when Lundstram or diomande lose possession or to cover Tav when he goes forward.
If Sima is fit, he goes back on the left and we play Cantwell in behind Dessers.
If Sima not fit, then Matondo starts.
Cantwell has the option to drift right on occasion.
We need to pack the midfield at their place to stop them dominating the ball.

I'll be happy if Balogun is one of the centre halfs and Yilmaz is back at LB freeing Sterling to play midfield

I mind Balogun started at RB against them and tbh thought he'd struggle but he had a great game so I wouldn't have any qualms about him lining up at CB. Every time a ball over the top comes in with Goldson there I get a tad nervous, no so with Leon.
He's the last one in our team that I can actually remember putting that wee diving rat furuhashi in his place. Ever since then that wee rodent has been allowed to run amok against us.

No. Sterling is not a left back. But I'd rather have him there than Barisic so if Yilmaz isn't fit Sterling will need to play there.

I need to understand this better - why is it that Balogun, who has had howlers in the past just like any other player, never gets the "remember the mistakes" treatment that everyone else does?

Last time we played there he got himself sent off for a stupid moment on the ball, quite a bit like the one Souttar had at the weekend but in a more dangerous area of the pitch.

Why is it always the other guys whose past mistakes are cast up but never Balogun? I'd be ecstatic if every player got treated that way rather than the "Tav has played well today, but what about the last OF game" stuff we constantly read.

No, Souttar shouldn’t be in any Rangers team.

Goldson needed a shock but he’s miles better than Souttar.
Goldson is not miles better than Souttar whatsoever , they both have a calamity waiting to happen. Both should be moved on imo. Much better is needed.

Last edited:
We play our strongest side.

Unless Goldson is injured or suspended, like it or lump it, he starts.

He’s been running on empty for the last few weeks, hopefully yesterday means he’s recharged, ready and focused for the run in.

That said, if Balogun starts, I have no fear.

He’s just had a 2 week international break where he clearly wasn’t involved in games. That would suggest he needs a real break which would potentially mean his season is over if 2 weeks wasn’t enough.

I honestly don't want to see Souttar playing left centre half for us again. If him and Balogun swap positions from Sunday then i'll not have an issue with that back line - if Yilmaz is still unfit.

Thought Souttar was caught out again a couple of times at the weekend and he was certainly responsible for Simon Murray's goal at Dingwall.

Balogun deserves to start again next weekend, but wouldn't be suprised if Goldson came in for Souttar.

Tavernier is easily our best right back and will start.

Back