Youth Academy value for money or not ?

This success or failure of this era of management and coaching have nothing to do with other eras. Academy systems take years to get in place and be successful. We're still in a watch this space position.
So when this management get sack and we start again will we not just say the same thing all over again I feel like it's groundhog Day regarding the youths coming through,they're not ready at 18-22 but they're definitely here and we will see them next year and there will be a few of them but these lads are never seen ,so imagine your Paterson right now we are looking at cover in full back position i.e boy from Leicester how does Paterson feel,Lewis mayo big strong CB but can play several positions but we go buy boy at Leicester Bassey who plays same position same age but we are on here saying get Mayo in team not a hope in hell of that happening so how does Mayo now feel and this is the same trend all over it's not good enough.

If the general football transfer business wasn't so corrupt then yes. Big clubs hoovering up all the best young talent before they turn 16 and clubs getting a pittance needs to change. Realistically we couldve been looking at astronomical sums for Billy Gilmour.

So when this management get sack and we start again will we not just say the same thing all over again I feel like it's groundhog Day regarding the youths coming through,they're not ready at 18-22 but they're definitely here and we will see them next year and there will be a few of them but these lads are never seen ,so imagine your Paterson right now we are looking at cover in full back position i.e boy from Leicester how does Paterson feel,Lewis mayo big strong CB but can play several positions but we go buy boy at Leicester Bassey who plays same position same age but we are on here saying get Mayo in team not a hope in hell of that happening so how does Mayo now feel and this is the same trend all over it's not good enough.

I think you nailed it re. Bassey. What kind of message does his signing send - not just to Mayo, but to all the others in Rangers development squads who hope that by putting in the work, they can eventually make it to the 1st team.

Also, what would any young, talented, much sought after 15-16 yr. old footballer say to Rangers if they came calling and urged him to sign? Noting the lack of opportunities given to youth at Ibrox, why on earth would they agree to join?

The question has to be asked - does having a fully staffed and equipped youth development system really work for Rangers? Or should it be binned, with the money saved used to invest in players like Bassey.

Not to mention the Liverpool loanees who did nothing for the club.

It’s now 2020 and the last player we sold for decent cash was Hutton that’s really a terrible record.
You do realise it was given a huge overhaul in past couple seasons. The Academy has gone from near 0 internationals at that level to near 40. There has been a re shuffle in past few weeks to implement what looks like a pivotal stage in the Academy set up. The Academy has done very well in recent seasons and the best ones are now on final stages of procession

You do realise it was given a huge overhaul in past couple seasons. The Academy has gone from near 0 internationals at that level to near 40. There has been a re shuffle in past few weeks to implement what looks like a pivotal stage in the Academy set up. The Academy has done very well in recent seasons and the best ones are now on final stages of procession

We have been restructuring repeatedly since 2015 ,

It would be great to see lots of good young players coming through just been that long .

No, when the management team leave, Wilson and Mulholland will still be here as the DoF and Head of Academy to continue ethos and continuity.

As for players, some players will be ready for first team. Some will need to go on loan to get ready for first team and others who won't make it. If there's better players we can bring for a particular position, then the Club have to make that decision rather than playing a youngster who maybe isn't ready.

We've only recently begun to really focus on the academy. It will take a few years to gain the benefit of that. We will still buy players. The hope is that we won't have to buy as many as the academy can provide some of the first team squad.

The Hutton transfer fee and his contribution easily paid for the construction of the then Murray Park

Despite not reaching a fee Chris Burke done very well for a period under big Eck.

Not sure if McGregor counts as a graduate but if so has definitely proven its worth.

All that being said, it’s not the facilities that’s most important. It’s the infrastructure. Something I firmly believe we have in place now.

We've only really begun to focus on developing young players. Before that we were fighting for the clubs existence and prior to that we were still in the buy player mindset.

Academy systems take years to be fruitful. You're reliant on a number of factors to get to ready first team players. We don't have the finances to buy a winning team. We must develop talent. If we don't get players coming through we'll tweak and adapt the system until we do. The management structure at the Club appear to have that ethos.
Excellent post mate. Developing a successful youth system isn’t fruitful till years after

The Hutton transfer fee and his contribution easily paid for the construction of the then Murray Park

Despite not reaching a fee Chris Burke done very well for a period under big Eck.

Not sure if McGregor counts as a graduate but if so has definitely proven its worth.

All that being said, it’s not the facilities that’s most important. It’s the infrastructure. Something I firmly believe we have in place now.

Hutton, McGregor and Wilson were really the last decent players to come out , You can chuck Adam and Burke in and even Fleck but it’s a really poor return in the time the place has been opened.

I also think it's a natural debate topic after last Spring pre Covid when we had Flanagan at right back and Polster as his deputy. Tav out and Patterson simply not quoted, nowhere near it. That does raise questions...

Last edited:
IMO the problem is twofold. One, since few of the other clubs regularly take points off the OF anymore every mistake could be the difference in winning the league or not. That makes it hard to give young players regular football as they will inevitably make mistakes and those could be costly.

Two, the gap between the level the youngsters are playing at and the 1st team is huge. Sending players out on loan so they can play at a better level puts them in the hands of a different coaching staff and a different style of play. Makes it hit and miss. I think the proposal re the Colts team would have made a huge difference.

Hopefully the latest restructure allows us to get some more of our young players over the hump and into the 1st team.

When we got sent to the 3rd division, we should’ve pumped money into our youth development instead of wasters like Sandaza, Black, Law etc.

We should’ve tried to lure the best coaches and youngsters from across the continent with the wages we spunked on those losers.

The people in charge of the club at the time where there to rape it, not secure its long term future.

I don't know how many times I've had to explain to people on here how dire a state our academy was in prior to 2015. It has been drastically overhauled and the players coming through over the next season or two should be the ones who we look at critically, not the last few years.

Ok, what about before 2015? As others have mentioned even before 2012 we rarely produced any players who'd make the first team.

If you were a young player, other than being able to boast to your pals about 'playing' for Rangers, why wouldn't you go to another Scottish club where you'll actually get first team football.

Ok, what about before 2015? As others have mentioned even before 2012 we rarely produced any players who'd make the first team.

If you were a young player, other than being able to boast to your pals about 'playing' for Rangers, why wouldn't you go to another Scottish club where you'll actually get first team football.
Well using not producing players 10 years ago as a reason to scrap it now is a bit ridiculous, it's in the past and a completely different setup to how it is now.

Back