Are we rushing into this?

Van Bronckhorst most definitely isn't a cheque book manger. So why wait as he is free. Fits the mould. Yes he knows what it means to be a Ranger. We cannot and should not delay this. To do so at this stage of the season with what we have coming up would be negligence by the board.

Mental to think people believe the first wind of this the board got was when Villa approached.

The board would have been well aware, weeks ago and had sufficient time to plan.

It was also hardly the first job down south Gerrard had been linked with.

Would have been gross negligence to get caught with their pants down on this one, it was always going to happen at some point.

I’d be pretty confident that we are currently engaging in due diligence, possibly as we speak.

Im also pretty sure that we would have some sort of contingency plan for this exact situation. Let’s trust the guys who are running the show, they have done not a bad job so far, have they?

The calibre of candidate is high, and if the 3 candidates are true, then all 3 have an affinity with the club in some way or other. This is very much a win-win scenario.

In the end, whoever gets the job, they will be a high calibre, big name appointment with a love for the club and that certainly isn’t a bad thing at all.

Latest name Ive just heard is the Bodo/Glimst manager that took 6 off Roma. Completely random and right out of left field. Just a whatsapp asking if Id heard anything (which Ive not)

Kyetil Knutsen? in last two years he has certainly gained a rep for being a good coach.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.

I think it is the opposite in a way. We seem to have been prepared and moved professionally to reach a conclusion.

As part of succession planning, Wilson will have had an eye on a few candidates already and as soon as Gerrard was looking likely to leave there would have been agents calling too. If someone hasn't thrown their name in the ring they really should have by now, it's a full working week since the signs were he was going and if they are currently in work then anyone of interest would be on Wilson's radar...hopefully.

We have narrowed down to a short list of 3 apparently so not just jumping to GVB. The fact the 3rd name isn't widely stated in the media to me suggests someone in a job at the moment.

As you mentioned Van Bronkhorst has experience working under constraints and winning trophies, experience in bringing youth in as he gave over 20 their Feyenoord debuts. His Rangers connection is a bonus but secondary imo to the work he has done.

As others have stated, it swill be Ross Wilson's most important task, to have a list of managerial replacements lined up. A list that changes and is refreshed regularly. And I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers have known he was going for a while now, Gerrard could even have told them.

I’d be pretty confident that we are currently engaging in due diligence, possibly as we speak.

Im also pretty sure that we would have some sort of contingency plan for this exact situation. Let’s trust the guys who are running the show, they have done not a bad job so far, have they?

The calibre of candidate is high, and if the 3 candidates are true, then all 3 have an affinity with the club in some way or other. This is very much a win-win scenario.

In the end, whoever gets the job, they will be a high calibre, big name appointment with a love for the club and that certainly isn’t a bad thing at all.

limiting the pool due to having an affinity with our club is mental. If they are the best coach we can attract and have a past relationship with us that a bonus, not a dictating factor.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.
Understand where your coming from MG but do you genuinely believe Rangers haven't been working in the darkness for the last two weeks. I think your mistaken to think we only started our search on Friday.

Problem we have is there's no-one left to even put the cones out for training.

We need the right man that's available today and can start tomorrow.

As other's have said DoF should have already done his due diligence.

We all knew Steven Gerrard would go back down the road.
The frequency of the EPL Merry-go-round dictated that might be sooner rather than later.
If we knew it we have to assume the powers within the red brick walls had an idea it might happen so there will have been succession planning.
Where we might have had a bit of luck is in the quality of Manager who fit the bill for us and who are “between jobs”.

For all we know he’s been part of a succession plan for years. So no, I think he would be a great appointment

Ross Wilson would be getting slated if he didn’t have his shortlist ready to go. If it is Gio, Lampard and Dyche, that is three really good candidates albeit one of them outside our financial reach.

The only rushing at the moment is by the FF celebrity obsessed majority.

There’s zero indications that the board are rushing in.

For what it is worth, I suspect we won’t see GvB appointed.

We cannot have this drag out for weeks. Gio, Lampard or whoever will have been on the radar soon after the board got wind of Villas interest ( I think the board have known for a few weeks this was a possibility)

It is a good point and worth considering, however due diligence should have been done a long time ago when succession plan for SG was put together.

limiting the pool due to having an affinity with our club is mental. If they are the best coach we can attract and have a past relationship with us that a bonus, not a dictating factor.
Of course, but having a relationship of some sort is a good thing. That means they get the club. Id rather that than some fucking diddy rocking up a la Caixinha and his “Celtic brothers” pish.

It’s not a deciding factor, but the fact that we have currently 3 very high calibre, very big names in the frame, who just so happen to have had some form of relationship with the club, means we still are an attractive proposition.

Clearly Ross Wilson has done his homework, got his team moving quickly and it just so happens that these 3 guys are free and ready for the taking. Choosing one is difficult, Gio is hot favourite but don’t discount the other 2.

I get your point, a bit, but we shouldn’t have to wait so long.
However, one of the remits of the DoF is to ensure there is a succession plan in place, along with plans B,C and maybe even D, to ensure any change is as seamless as possible.
The longer we go without an appointment the more amateurish we look, think of
Celtic’s embarrassment with Howe and wait for Postecoglu, and the more our opponents take pleasure.

Ross Wilson would be getting slated if he didn’t have his shortlist ready to go. If it is Gio, Lampard and Dyche, that is three really good candidates albeit one of them outside our financial reach.

3 names anyone on here would list in 3 minutes.

If we bring in someone who is up and coming like Kyetil Knutsen then someone has done their homework.

For me it’s a no brainer GVB knows the club, understands the demands of the support can handle the goldfish bowl pressure.
Has managed before at a good level, won a couple of trophies in Holland
Wife likes it in Scotland would probably move over with him.
Has good contacts and is well respected in the game

What’s not to like get him in ASAP

The club aren't just suddenly starting looking now, lists and candidates already there. We need as quick and seamless transition as possible to minimize any potential disruption caused by Gerrards midnight flit.

This is why we have a DoF set up, so we can do things quickly.

Its a good thing, not a negative.

To assume we're rushing into whatever appointment we make, is to assume that the successful candidate was not on our list of potential successors, even whilst Gerrard was here. To have such a list is part of Ross Wilson's job.

I'd suggest Gio and whoever else has been contacted, was on that list and therefore due diligence has already been carried out on them.

That just leaves face to face meetings between the club and the candidates so that both parties can put across their vision for the football team going forward, to ensure they're on the same page.

So to answer the question in the thread title, I'd say No.

3 names anyone on here would list in 3 minutes.

If we bring in someone who is up and coming like Kyetil Knutsen then someone has done their homework.
That’s an inherent gamble as well though, managing Rangers in the pressure cooker of Glasgow is totally different from doing really well at a small club in Norway. Could be a master stroke or a disaster like all appointments.

Ross Wilson hasn't been caught with his pants down here. Succession planning is a must for all good DOFs and his track record of bringing in manager's is pretty good. I'm going to trust him that all due diligence is carried out on each candidate
Feck, you were getting it there.
I hadn’t read the n’t bit, despite (not) reading it twice.
Apologies if you felt a sharp pain from my voodoo doll.

Semi final and crucial Europa League match coming up. We have no choice really other than to act fast. Gio’s got a track record. Lampard would be almost like for like with Gerrard.

I’m surprised there’s still this misunderstanding with some. H&H described the exact process they have in place. There’s been a shortlist well before Gerrard decided to depart, and they will speak to each one before making a final decision.

There is no rushing in

The DoF will have had these plans in place all along, it the whole point in having this system in place.

Its to stop situations like the Howe fiasco across the road

Think thing is winning this league and the 40m is vital. No time to flounder around with a caretaker

I don't think we are rushing things, seems we are doing what we should be an interviewing candidates.
Also any potential manager might be looking for answers themselves regarding potential transfer budgets so who knows how these meetings will go.
I will not get too ahead of myself yet, so meantime I am going for a walk down the shops to buy myself the Holland home top.

NO

This is the type of situation why Ross Wilson is in place. He is supposed to be one of the best at his job therefore time for him to come through for us.

Sorry OP but this place would be in an almighty uproar if we decided to take an age, with the games we have coming fast we simply cannot afford to take more time and risk having a Murty or Mcinnes in charge temporarily

Part of Ross Wilson’s role will be to have done all this preparation and due diligence so we don’t need to wait months on making new appointments.

We are doing what we should be doing. The reason it seems to be moving faster is because unlike that mob across the city, we aren’t trying to force the back room staff onto any future manger - the manager should always have full control of his back room.

If I was drawing up a wish list, then I suspect the attributes that GVB brings to it would be right up there.
1. Won a league title in a competitive division without as much in the way of resources as the big name team.
2. Knows the European transfer market, especially the Dutch/Belgian.
3. Highly respected football icon who has played at the very top level.
4. Has an understanding of what Rangers is all about.
5. Knows how to conduct himself publicly under pressure.
6. Acknowledged as a “leader“.
7. Available without having to pay compensation.

More the question off what happens if we dont act quickly. Vital season with still everything to play for. Squad need to be settled in that respect. I'm putting my faith in Ross Wilson and co to be robust in their interviews to make sure those identified have what it takes.

I would hope we have someone in by Hibs.

IF Ross Wilson is doing his job properly all the checks should have been done and a list drawn up on an ongoing basis.
Everybody knew Gerrard would go one day , just not in the manner he did.

Latest name Ive just heard is the Bodo/Glimst manager that took 6 off Roma. Completely random and right out of left field. Just a whatsapp asking if Id heard anything (which Ive not)

A very good coach by all accounts.

I think though that the Rangers manager needs to have a presence or an aura about them. Especially coming in just now. They need immediate buy in from the players and I don't know if a manager coming from Norwegian football would get that from the outset.

Latest posts

Back