Are we rushing into this?

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.
I think it is serendipitous that a candidate with such qualifications to be the Rangers manager that GVB possesses is available at this exact moment in our history.
He would be a candidate at any time never mind now.
The appointment of a manager and backroom staff isn't something that can be delayed as the absence of such would probably damage our season.

This is a matter for speed, decisiveness and immediacy.

The only rushing at the moment is by the FF celebrity obsessed majority.

There’s zero indications that the board are rushing in.

For what it is worth, I suspect we won’t see GvB appointed.
Anything driving this.
I’m asking because many seem to believe it’s only a matter of time before he’s announced.
Personally, I don’t see it that way and have never been one to get my hopes up.
To me, he’s a candidate, a welcome candidate and one I would not be adverse to.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.

We have afull-time Sporting Director whose job it is to look into this very scenario and be able to respond.

If he is fulfilling his role he will have already done his due dilligence and assessed the market on at least a monthly basis.

Would something in particular make you think the bit I have bolded is not the case with Gio? His history suggests he is in that bracket.

I'm personally very happy that we're not flapping around just trying to build a short-list now. That would have been far more concerning.

Alternative is to have Defoe and Co take charge for the Hibs/Sparta matches, make sure we go out of both the cup and Europa then ask someone new to pick up the pieces

We need some haste in finding Gerrard's replacement I think. Gio, Lampard or one other, whomever off the shelf manager doesn't spell indecent haste. But rather tells me, we are being Proactive on this.

I think it is serendipitous that a candidate with such qualifications to be the Rangers manager that GVB possesses is available at this exact moment in our history.
He would be a candidate at any time never mind now.
The appointment of a manager and backroom staff isn't something that can be delayed as the absence of such would probably damage our season.

Oooh, serendipitous, is it.
Haven’t seen that one on here since, well, ever, actually!

Far too much on the line to be extending this into weeks or months a decision needed to be made quickly.

GVB looks like the choice of the majority of fans and for me he is probably at this minute in time with the limited budget on offer the best candidate for the job.

I have no wish to ever suffer the hell of a ‘Graeme Murty’ ever again thank you very much

3 names anyone on here would list in 3 minutes.

If we bring in someone who is up and coming like Kyetil Knutsen then someone has done their homework.

Not saying I would definitely be against Knutsen but just remember the last time someone similar came along it was Ronnie at them and he was going to revolutionise the way the game was played.

Really any manager is a gamble.
Gerrard was actually a massive gamble.

I think unless there is some major red flag that comes up then a lot of the decision making is kind of easy. Nobody really knows how it will play out.

If the main candidates for us are Gio, Lampard and Gattuso then there's nothing to really suggest that any of them wouldn't be good for us and Gio is the kind of obvious preferred choice there.

If we were to overthink it a bit and not rush in then I still don't really know what manager we would even end up with. The names quoted seem really to be about as good as we could get anyway.

Last edited:
More the question off what happens if we dont act quickly. Vital season with still everything to play for. Squad need to be settled in that respect. I'm putting my faith in Ross Wilson and co to be robust in their interviews to make sure those identified have what it takes.

I would hope we have someone in by Hibs.
I have always thought they would be but they might be in the stand.

While if you were at the end of the season you could probably spend weeks on an extensive job search, we don't have that luxury. We have a ridiculous run of games coming up until the winter break. We can't afford to spend weeks hunting for a new manager. Weeks without a proper manager can mentally affect players are they aren't sure about their or the clubs future. Interm managers tend to be youth managers/coaches... We've seen that episode before with Murty. Leaving a youth manager in charge for 3/4 weeks could cost us the title.

Tbh it's probably a god send that Gerrard left at the start of an international break, rather than just before or after a game. Gives us a time to get the new manager and gives him 3/4 training sessions when the players are back from international duties.

Even if it is rather quick depending on your perspective. It's not like we are picking Derek McIness or Pedro. We are looking at very good managers. If it's Geo then he comes in with a good managerial pedigree.

If rumours are to believed it’s almost a week since we knew he was leaving, I wouldn’t say that was quick

No definitely not. We are lucky it's the international break. Givis us time to prepare. This weekend will be all about behind the scenes the board talking to there prefared parties. We need the players ready to smash hibs in a week's time

Before we check the former player box have a look at ManU. When will we learn.
That’s a bit disingenuous. Cardiff and Molde to Man Utd is a massive leap. Feyenoord to Rangers isn’t.
Your concern would be more relevant if we were about to appoint Barry Ferguson.

We don’t have a choice. We have no backroom team left. It’s not like when Souness went and we had Walter ready to step in, there is no one capable at the club of stepping up and hitting the ground running. We are at a critical stage of our season, we need a manager in within the next week. Luckily it’s happened during an international break.

Due diligence is for little fairy boys.
FJeAFrP.gif

I can tell you one thing for sure. van Bronkhorst in no way had an open cheque book at Feyenoord.

If I was drawing up a wish list, then I suspect the attributes that GVB brings to it would be right up there.
1. Won a league title in a competitive division without as much in the way of resources as the big name team.
2. Knows the European transfer market, especially the Dutch/Belgian.
3. Highly respected football icon who has played at the very top level.
4. Has an understanding of what Rangers is all about.
5. Knows how to conduct himself publicly under pressure.
6. Acknowledged as a “leader“.
7. Available without having to pay compensation.
That’s bang on his only black mark is his poor European record.

As for all we as fans may have preferred and accepted 3 league titles (or even 2 in the first 2 years) the money from Europe has probably been far more important over all. Something we also need going forward, this year is important to win the league for direct Europe entry but if we don’t win then it’s vitally important that we do qualify for Europe and that’s my only worry. However, to compare him to Gerrard again first two seasons domestically weren’t good enough for GVB I think overall his domestic record is good, overachieving in a couple and doing as they should in the others.

To the OP point I don’t see how this is rushing into it. We have a fully qualified available candidate so why not get them in now rather than waste time. Yes if this was the close season we could deliberate over it for a couple of weeks and perhaps we’d pick a different candidate but we’re not so we have to use the circumstances we are under and act!

I'll be honest. I'm not sure of either GVB or Lampard, who are the apparent front-runners. GVB is well thought of by older Bears like myself, which may be clouding rational thinking. Lampard would be well known and respected by our English contingent at Ibrox. I just hope we make the right choice.

Playing devil's advocate. Code for wanting to moan or have a different opinion about something just for the sake of it.
We want Gio, by all accounts Gio wants to come. He's not a stranger who needs a ton of due diligence. We go and get him.
No need to over complicate it.
The Gio express will plough right through the devil's advocate p1sh :))

It isn't as if Gio is an unknown entity,former player,won CL with Barca and captained Holland to a WC Final.
Managed Feyenoord their first Eredivisie in 20 years along with winning a few cups.
What more do you want know about him?.
He was my first thought when I knew Gerrard was leaving.
I'm quite excited about him possibly being appointed tbh.

Devils Advocaat.

I trust the club to do the due diligence.

We can't afford to %^*& about to %^*& about too long.

Just look at the tit the tinks made of themselves.

Ross Wilson will have been doing his due diligence on our next manager for the past 2 years. It's part of his job.

We've got a huge game a week tomorrow so there's no time for any fannying about with powerpoint presentations from some unknown clown in Qatar.

This is football. Things move fast. Taking a week is getting on too long. Look at the mess the tims made of I Taking their time.

Taking too lon leads to procrastination and elements of doubt sneaking in, all the while the team struggles with no manager.

We've had a contingency plan implacable, are now enacting it, and hopefully have someone (GVB) appointed early next week.

Who says we haven’t completed due diligence on all the candidates on the shortlist? A key part of Ross Wilson’s role is succession planning. If we dither we’ll potentially feck up the season, important games in the near future will need a strong management team.

No we are not rushing into anything

It’s called succession planning, Ross Wilson would have a list of potential replacements for the management team and once it was known Gerrard was away that process would have kicked it, it may be accelerated due to timing but that is all

Ross Wilson will have been doing due diligence on his short list of candidates long before now and well before Gerrard said he was ofski.
He’s not just picked 3-4 names out of thin air and thought I better check them out now .
It’s called succession planning.

Alternative is to have Defoe and Co take charge for the Hibs/Sparta matches, make sure we go out of both the cup and Europa then ask someone new to pick up the pieces
Why would me make sure to go out of the the league Cup and Europa? That is a mental comment

Hibs game is a week away, whoever is coming in isn't ripping it up and starting again, they are inherting a winning side who is top of the league. Whoever is in charge next weekend is basically picking a starting 11 and trusting the players - they won't have had time to watch our games never mind any of Hibs.

This. We have a cup semifinal next weekend. Then perhaps the key European game of the season a few days later. Then we’re back into league games to defend a league title that may be the most important league title in recent memory from a financial point of view (and the prestige of CL football).

We must act fast and decisively.

Ideally, yes, you may want to take as long as possible in such a search. However, the timeline of our major competitions means we need to make an “immediate” appointment.

So, no, we are not “rushing“it. The timescale is taken out with our own hands somewhat.

The nature of pro sport again.

Last edited:
What's due diligence? We can find out everything about him in an hour browsing the net....and we are interviewing him....don't see what else we can do, he might not be right man and we end up going down another route.

Really any manager is a gamble.
Gerrard was actually a massive gamble.

I think unless there is some major red flag that comes up then a lot of the decision making is kind of easy. Nobody really knows how it will play out.

If the main candidates for us are Gio, Lampard and Gattuso then there's nothing to really suggest that any of them wouldn't be good for us and Gio is the kind of obvious preferred choice there.

If we were to overthink it a bit and not rush in then I still don't really know what manager we would even end up with. The names quoted seem really to be about as good as we could get anyway.
Good rationale

Before we check the former player box have a look at ManU. When will we learn.

Thanks for assuming everyone else has your depth.

There's already a huge amount of information available on FF about Gio's career so far in management as well as those others considered as likely candidates.

I would assume the club has a ton more knowledge than we do and are utilising that in their selection process

Not sure having to much time to think over it is best with this board. Don't forget they took a long time after Warburton had left and then brought us Pedro and really only fell arse backwards into Steven Gerrard because their number 1 target after Pedro, DEREK McINNES, turned them down!!!

As others are suggesting GvB seems the right man at the right time and they should just get it done ASAP so we can all get on with the season.

Won trophies as a manager already, and in a league that's a better standard than ours.

You might say he's more equipped to take the job more than our last manager who had coached at under 19s.

I don't see why this would be seen as more of a gamble than SG.
It isn't, I'm not saying there is no risk, but Gerrard was a bigger gamble, in my opinion.

Back