Are we rushing into this?

Midfield General

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.

We waited several times before to ‘do an extensive search’ and ended up with caretaker managers and humiliating results.
Wilson will hopefully have already had some pre work done in terms of keeping a rolling update on likely candidates long before Gerrard moved, and he also will likely have had a heads up before we did that Gerrard was likely to move.

No and even if we are, we don’t have a choice. We’ve got a semi final next Sunday, followed by a crunch EL group tie then Livi away before a further run of tough fixtures. We need someone in now. If it turns out to be the wrong man and costs us then everyone can blame Gerrard for doing his disappearing act mid season. I certainly won’t be blaming whoever comes in.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.
We're not rushing anything. GVB is simply having talks like others will have or have had.

Many on here have got him down as signing today.

Ross Wilson hasn't been caught with his pants down here. Succession planning is a must for all good DOFs and his track record of bringing in manager's is pretty good. I'm going to trust him that all due diligence is carried out on each candidate

“so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history”

The people making the decisions aren’t as emotional about it as you and me.

Quite simply we are looking to make a swift appointment as we have a brutal fixture list that will define our season in the next 6 weeks and can’t afford to mess around, and the entire coaching team leaving with Gerrard has left a massive void that needs filled asap.

We didn't start researching new manager candidates a few days ago.

Succession planning would have always been there. Probably always been 3 or 4 candidates.

This process didn’t start a few days for Ross Wilson. This would have been in place well before, so what seems a few days for us guys it’s most likely been weeks if not months in the planning. We’ll done to Ross Wilson and Co for the forward planning

As long as we do everything we need to do in the selection process and don't skip anything I'm in favour of doing it as expeditiously as possible.

I don't think so, that's why we have Ross Wilson at the club. He should have a shortlist of potential targets that he keeps updated on an ongoing basis. The role of Sporting director should be to oversee as smooth a transition as possible.
This. Ross will have a list ready to go before the ink was dry on the Aston Villa contract

“Who is not reliant on the chequebook”? He won the title at Feyenoord against an Ajax and PSV team, whose budgets and player valuations were a lot higher than Feyenoord’s.

Latest name Ive just heard is the Bodo/Glimst manager that took 6 off Roma. Completely random and right out of left field. Just a whatsapp asking if Id heard anything (which Ive not)

we 100% need to do due diligence and forget the minuscule market who once played for us and are now managers/coach. Its mental in all honesty.

Not saying we need to bring in someone no one has ever heard from from a continent no one can sound of 3 coaches. But if due diligence has been done then we trust the board to get it right, That their job.

The way we act as fans puts candidates at the top of the list as past player favs and pressure on the board. Its crazy.

Part of Wilson's job is to always have a list of possible candidates in case this very situation arises. It's not like we've just suddenly had to come up with candidates in the past few days, it's part of an ongoing process.

And if we didn’t Wilson and the board are accused of sleeping

This can’t fester if he’s identified target from a list that’s been sitting waiting for this day it’s not been rushed

Edit for clarity.

His net spend at Feyenoord was outstanding. He made them money on transfers. He did spend money, but recouped it all and then some. His transfers record in 15/16 and 16/17 was very good. That built the team to win their first title in 18 years and was done at a profit. They brought in a heap of cash from fees in 17/18, but it wasn't spent brilliantly. Very poor in the CL off the back of that.

Last edited:
I remember, before we appointed Gerrard, watching Feyernoord in the Champs League after the back of their title win and he was asked about being linked with us . At the time we all knew it would be some appointment but it was total pie in the sky stuff, was actually depressing seeing him say it was an honour to be linked but there was no chance.

There was no way we could persuade Gio to leave them at the time considering the mess we were in. Never in a million years where we getting the manager of the Dutch Champions whether he played for us or not.

Now though, amazingly, he wants to be our manager. We'd be daft not to take the risk with him.

Yes lets just drag our heels while their is real possibility of going out the LC and EL then free falling out of control.We need someone in this week wether it's GVB or not.

We've absolutely no choice in reality, he's an experienced coach who knows the club

We can't afford to wait around I'm afraid

The whole point of our current setup is that we always, always, have the next step decided and ready to go. The 'speed' of this is 100% down to the fact we have a director of football who is employed to have us ready for change.

If this took longer than a few days to sort, he would have very clearly failed at his job.

Succession planning is part of the DoF's remit. I don't think he saw the video of Gerrard getting off that train and thought "ahhh Christ!!"

Back