Are we rushing into this?

We are not rushing into this because as a club we have all our ducks in order for such circumstances! There’s always a shortlist that gets updated we know more about a prospective manager than they realise before we contact them for a chat. We are a well run football club these days!

As above, the DOF will have a running shortlist full of names and information about them so that when someone leaves we don’t need to rush in. We might only see a few days of work from Wilson but our next appointment will be a culmination of months and months of work done before Gerrard left, specifically for this scenario.

Thanks for assuming everyone else has your depth.

There's already a huge amount of information available on FF about Gio's career so far in management as well as those others considered as likely candidates.

I would assume the club has a ton more knowledge than we do and are utilising that in their selection process
Not assuming anything it's just an opinion. I'm not a fan of former players returning. The point I'm trying to make is we don't need to have this former player tick the box attitude.

Part of Ross Wilson’s remit week to week will have been to prepare for this event. The due diligence will be done, it’s as simple as speaking to the candidates and making a quick decision from that.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.

Do you really think the due diligence has not be done?

They arent meeting Gio on a whim ffs. He is one of a number we want, they now talk to see if he fits with us and we fit with him.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.
how long are you willing to wait to make sure we get the right man? this is gonna seem a bit rushed no matter what, cause it is a wee bit, we need a manager as there's a league to be won and all the riches that goes with it,but all we can do is deal the situation we've been handed, it's not ideal, and we'd all like to take more time to get the right person in, but we don't have the luxury of time

Villa didnt hang about so why not us.
Ideally we want someone good but not working as we can bank or spend the compensation on players.
Villa have the luxury of being able to sack any manager at any point without batting and eye lid and almost having the pick of any manager they’d want out with managers managing the top top clubs.

Why would me make sure to go out of the the league Cup and Europa? That is a mental comment

Hibs game is a week away, whoever is coming in isn't ripping it up and starting again, they are inherting a winning side who is top of the league. Whoever is in charge next weekend is basically picking a starting 11 and trusting the players - they won't have had time to watch our games never mind any of Hibs.
I meant by having Defoe and Co in charge we have far more of a chance of going out the cups in my view

A new manager gives everybody, including the players, a lift before next weekend

Playing devil's advocate. Code for wanting to moan or have a different opinion about something just for the sake of it.
We want Gio, by all accounts Gio wants to come. He's not a stranger who needs a ton of due diligence. We go and get him.
No need to over complicate it.
The Gio express will plough right through the devil's advocate p1sh :))
Trains speak with forked tongue ....

Won trophies as a manager already, and in a league that's a better standard than ours.

You might say he's more equipped to take the job more than our last manager who had coached at under 19s.

I don't see why this would be seen as more of a gamble than SG.
All fair points , I don't see it been more of a gamble that SG either. I backed that all the way. Have a look at Wikipedia for the two contenders. For Lampard make some tea and cake its a long read. For Gio it ticks the boxes but if you want the former player Rangers through and through , its just not sitting good for me . If it happens then so be it hope I'm wrong.

For the type of boys that like their wife to slip a wee finger up the arse whilst doing the deed and not feeling like they are a bit of a fairy because it’s the wife and not one of the lads ;););););)
I never realised that this was wrong, even when I did it the other way round.

Thanks very much. Now I’ll feel guiltier than an altar boy for the rest of my life.

I can't even concentrate on the managerial situation now.

We are not rushing into this because as a club we have all our ducks in order for such circumstances! There’s always a shortlist that gets updated we know more about a prospective manager than they realise before we contact them for a chat. We are a well run football club these days!
Rushing may be needed as Holland has introduced a new Covid Lockdown.

I don't think we are no.

We've seen the mess dragging our heels does previously.

Identify the new man and get him in. The players also would benefit from it being settled quickly

I'd certainly hope we had an eye on succession regardless of who was the incumbent plus we have not signed anyone yet.

There is absolutely no rushing in. Ross Wilson has previously said we are always looking at potential managers so we are prepared when a manager leaves.

We are a professional operation, we will not be doing anything based on misplaced nostalgia, or on the cheap.

I have confidence we will make the correct choice and in the required time frame.

No and even if we are, we don’t have a choice. We’ve got a semi final next Sunday, followed by a crunch EL group tie then Livi away before a further run of tough fixtures. We need someone in now. If it turns out to be the wrong man and costs us then everyone can blame Gerrard for doing his disappearing act mid season. I certainly won’t be blaming whoever comes in.

Kind of agree with you bro. You can’t go into the next two games without a leader, those games are too important. I am not 100% certain on Gio, but I do believe he is a better bet than Rino, and I can’t see Lampard accepting it anyway. I do think if we don’t win the next two, Gerrard’s legacy will be forever diminished, and it will be his responsibility. This week has very probably been the most selfish decision EVER MADE by a Rangers Manager in 150 years!

We took a punt on a big name with no managerial experience 3 and a half years ago. A man who had been a top footballer who was well known and admired by many. GVB has similar qualities as does Frank Lampard. The thing either of these two have that Steven didn’t is actual managerial experience. I don’t see either of them as much of a gamble as Gerard.

Due diligence is ok but indecision and procrastination could see us losing the advantage we have already. Clear direction and decisive action are what we need right now.

Before we check the former player box have a look at ManU. When will we learn.

You do realize that Gio’s record as a player far outweighs that of Gerrard’s, and as a Manager he has won 3 times as many trophies in a tougher league! He just doesn’t have the media glamour that Sky provide for any English name, so we resort to the “former player” nonsense. I am not certain that he is the answer, but I am thrilled that we are pursuing a former Arsenal & Barcelona legend who played in a World Cup Final, and just happens to be a successful ex-Ranger too.

You do realize that Gio’s record as a player far outweighs that of Gerrard’s, and as a Manager he has won 3 times as many trophies in a tougher league! He just doesn’t have the media glamour that Sky provide for any English name, so we resort to the “former player” nonsense. I am not certain that he is the answer, but I am thrilled that we are pursuing a former Arsenal & Barcelona legend who played in a World Cup Final, and just happens to be a successful ex-Ranger too.
Just my opinion mate , the more I look at it and the club he managed in China I don't think he would be near us if he wasn't a former player. Time will tell.

Rangers aren’t speaking to GVB because he’s an ex-player, or because the Daily Record said to.. he’ll have been on in the options for Gerrard leaving for a while.

It does all seem a bit of a procession to an inevitable outcome, with few other names really quoted so I get the OP’s point but I think Rangers will have fuelled the speculation rather than been led by it.

Due diligence pal, due diligenceeeeeeee …………….

We must be cautious
Thing is, the so called due diligence has already taken place by a sporting director who has a list of both players and potential managers should we need to make a move, if it's GVB he is in place by Monday latest!

I would have thought a contingency plan was being drawn up when he was linked with the Newcastle job. If he'd have been offered that he'd have jumped then

Some great well reasoned responses and some also have in depth knowledge of the Clubs inner working.
The new management team is going to cost several million over the period of the contract so imo it is critical we get this appointment right.We don't want to be 6 months down the road and find ourselves back here.
I don't think just getting someone in because we have important games coming up is the way to go.
The team plays to a system which the players should be capable of carrying out if it takes a couple of weeks to get the new manager in situ.
If anyone has seen the B team play they will be confident that the management can step up for a short period with the aid of our senior players.

I never realised that this was wrong, even when I did it the other way round.

Thanks very much. Now I’ll feel guiltier than an altar boy for the rest of my life.

I can't even concentrate on the managerial situation now.
Listen pal, what you and the lads get up to is your business.

So long as you are both consensual

:D:D

No, we aren't rushing into it.

The standard of candidate free & available that will actually speak to us is far better..

Personally i wanted GVB before Gerrard was even thought of so would still like him to manage us now!

He was one of my favourite players what a left foot he had! :))

Probably the most successful player we signed that went on to bigger and better things too and we made a profit on his sale to Arsena!

You do Ross Wilson a discredit.

He will have done his due dilligence on potential replacements months ago.

I've come into this thread rather late and have only scan read the replies but I've seen a few suggesting that The Board have been well aware of this scenario playing out and have been doing their homework and have contingency plans in place and I quite agree.
I think they've already drawn up a shortlist but are quite rightly waiting to see if any other possibly better candidates appear out of the woodwork now it's become official.
There's no way this will drag out the way it did across the city, I'm quite sure we'll have our new man early to mid next week.
My personal preferences are Gio or Lampard.

We are either too slow, not prepared or rushing into it.

I don’t agree with any of the above. You’ve got to trust the process. That Ross Wilson and his staff have a dossier prepared and ready to act.

That’s one of the reasons as to why we have a Sporting Director.

Fair play, we have acted and fast. Thus far it looks like we have done our homework, have the targets in place and are making our move.

Exactly what is required given what’s at stake this season.

Rangers aren’t speaking to GVB because he’s an ex-player, or because the Daily Record said to.. he’ll have been on in the options for Gerrard leaving for a while.

It does all seem a bit of a procession to an inevitable outcome, with few other names really quoted so I get the OP’s point but I think Rangers will have fuelled the speculation rather than been led by it.
He will have been an option along with others for a while as the behaviour of the Scouser has probably alerted our club to the fact that he would piss off at the first smell of an EPL job and he did just that.

We shouldn't rush into anything as wany to get the correct guy.
But then no point dragging it out for weeks if the board are happy with someone they interview at the start.

Our support are but the job of the board is to make the right decision, not the easy one.

I have faith in them.

Feels like Gio is the favourite because Gerrard dumped us and we want to go back to the security of the Rangers womb and get an ex-player, someone from our 'family'.
Gio will jump ship if a team in the EPL comes calling as well.
It's just something we need to accept now.

I'd imagine they've had a shortlist drawn up for some time.

if we knew who the perfect manager was, then we'd go and get them (assuming they are available and within price range)

every manager for practically every club is a risk because you don't know how they'll fit in there, unless it's Klopp at Liverpool or Pep at Man City where the potential/the money is there to build something or somebody has been trained for the job from a youth team/assistant. Gerrard was a risk when we took him from Liverpool's youths in 2018. Even with experience, Gio is a risk and we won't know what happens until we see games/see how the players react to how he plays. It's annoying but most managerial jobs are like this

We can get it right, quickly. It could just be some fortunate timing that everything we want is available.

Van Bronckhorst most definitely isn't a cheque book manger. So why wait as he is free. Fits the mould. Yes he knows what it means to be a Ranger. We cannot and should not delay this. To do so at this stage of the season with what we have coming up would be negligence by the board.
No.

No.

Not even a little bit.

Steven Gerrard has elevated the club to the point where (it looks like) we can pick between Van Bronckhorst, Lampard and probably a handful of others and it’s vital to get the right man in quickly.

Why take three weeks when one week is all you need?

Back