Did Gerrard and key players in this squad only care about winning 55 and stopping ten in a row and it’s showing?

LarkfiedLoyalNS

Gerrard dropped us like a hat the first decent job offer back down the road.

We have not looked ourselves at all this season.

It’s gone on record from ex players and current players how much Gerrard was drilling into the team to not let them win 10 in a row from day one. After we won 55 and stopped that, has the majority of our key players and squad felt as though there job is done here?

We look absolutely broken and I feel for Gio inheriting this mess - this nonsense that Gerrard left us in a position of strength is absolute nonsense.

That result would’ve been the same yesterday if he was still here.

Gerrard definitely he all but confirmed that with his press conference the other day.

If players think like that then they can get to %^*&. They're at Rangers where it's all about winning. Not just winning 1 trophy and job done

Gerrard isn't the winner many on here have him down as.

He won 1 trophy in 3 seasons then lost the motivation to go again.

And clearly that's filtered down to his players.
How any of these players can say they've lost there hunger after winning 1 out of 10 cups is beyond belief.

The ones who want a move away will be lucky to win another cup in there life's with the teams there going to end up at.

How any of these players can say they've lost there hunger after winning 1 out of 10 cups is beyond belief.

The ones who want a move away will be kuvky to win another cup in there life's with the teams there going to end up at.

We have a squad full of losers mate.

Last season should have seen us win the treble with celtic being knocked out of the 2 cups before us.. we didn't even make it to Hampden in either competition.

The fact is too many of this squad have been part of way too many disasters for me to trust them going forward.

Last season should have seen us win the treble with celtic being knocked out of the 2 cups before us.. we didn't even make it to Hampden in either competition.

The fact is too many of this squad have been part of way too many disasters for me to trust them going forward.
I completely agree. The fact we've been to one cup final in 3.5 seasons is nothing short of a disgrace.

I think it’s pretty obvious that a lot of the current squad don’t understand or appreciate that playing for Rangers is not about winning, it’s about winning, then winning again and again.
If they think winning 55 and stopping Celtc is what it is about then to me that shows a mentality that they consider themselves lesser than Celtc rather than superior, that they had a lifetime achievement rather than returned to their rightful place.

“Completed remit” tells you all you need to know in that respect.

Now what happened between the “I want more” on the day we secured the title and Gerrard saying that under 9 months later I don’t know, but I do think something has gone on in the background to change things that drastically.

Regardless we are in a bit of a mess right now and Gio has a job on to pick things up.

Yes seems to be the answer. They should all put their medals on a table in front of Gio and apart from our older players it will come to an average of one each. Gio should them ask them why they don’t have more. It’s scotland and there is t an easier league for clubs our size to pick up medals. I’d confiscate them (I wouldn’t really but that’s how it feels).

There would undoubtedly be a lot of energy physically and mentally spent on securing the title last season but you’d think as professional athletes, the incentive of CL football would have rejuvenated them ready for this season. Clearly not

Trophies are supposed to breed hunger and desire. Clearly not amongst this lot.

As for Gerrard. The man will never win another trophy in football management.
We were told all we needed was the first trophy and we’d be off and running, we secured the first and then we’ve actually regressed. Amazed and baffled BUT still excited for the future

I'm sure players want to win trophies and get bonuses for doing it. Didn't the all conquering sides of the past also routinely lose to Hibs at this stage?

Losing Beale was a massive blow but unfortunately as part of the SG set up it was inevitable, yesterday was a fucking shambles and as someone suggested yesterday many may have been Gerrard players rather than Rangers.

Last edited:
You could see it with some of the players in the spring - they thought they would dine out for life on winning the title with Rangers once.

As a set of supporters and as a club, we have a different mentality towards trophies than most others. Winning a shiny thing is expected - we celebrate well and enjoy the moment but then it’s about the next one.
A lot of people just don’t get it. They want their backside kissed for life for winning one trophy.

To be honest, I’m surprised that Davis & McGregor haven’t drilled this into some of the squad… or maybe they have tried and some players just didn’t want to hear it.

I don’t think it’s the ONLY thing they care about but absolutely they were drilled to have a single goal and emptied their tanks to make it happen.

Definitely feels a bit of ‘well now what?’ around our performances.

Not qualifying for the CL won’t have helped.

Not getting through a very winnable path to the CL has been a disaster for us. It would’ve allowed cash to be spent on a couple of first choice starters and given a motivational boost to the squad.

Too many players now looking like they just don’t fancy the graft of another domestic season.

Losing Beale was a massive blow but unfortunately as part of the SG set up it was inevitable, yesterday was a fucking shambles and as someone suggested yesterday many many have been Gerrard players rather than Rangers.
Beale is the brains behind it all.

My mate is a Villa fan and said that on Saturday they were under the cosh from Brighton late into the game and at a stoppage, Beale summoned 4 players over, gave them some instruction and 5 minutes later Villa were ahead.
Gerrard was talking to the 4th official at the time yet gets the headlines for his genius!

The other side of this unfortunately is that with no Beale at Hampden yesterday, our players were lost for what to do next.

Last edited:
Losing Beale was a massive blow but unfortunately as part of the SG set up it was inevitable, yesterday was a fucking shambles and as someone suggested yesterday many many have been Gerrard players rather than Rangers.
We would have been served the same shite with them in the dugout as well, like most of the season so far. They are a group of losers with no hunger to battle for trophies and they've nurtured a squad into the exact same thinking.

Beale is the brains behind it all.

My mate is a Villa fan and said that on Saturday they were under the coach from Brighton late into the game and at a stoppage, Beale summoned 4 players over, gave them some instruction and 5 minutes later Villa were ahead.
Gerrard was talking to the 4th official at the time yet gets the headlines for his genius!

The other side of this unfortunately is that with no Beale at Hampden yesterday, our players were lost for what to do next.
We can only hope Gio and his team are able to replicate what Beale has. No doubt a very good coach and tactician.

Given what Gerrard inherited at the time we were never in a position to challenge for anything given the rebuild he had to do in his time here especially the first season. The 2nd season we should have won the league cup got cheated out of that and we threw the league away. The cup performances last season were disappointing similar to yesterday mistakes galore costing us.

Would you give up last seasons league title for 6 Cup trophys whilst they won the league?

It’s gone on record from ex players and current players how much Gerrard was drilling into the team to not let them win 10 in a row from day one. After we won 55 and stopped that, has the majority of our key players and squad felt as though there job is done here?

We look absolutely broken and I feel for Gio inheriting this mess - this nonsense that Gerrard left us in a position of strength is absolute nonsense.

Fair point,it's as if there's been a huge thank f#@k for that,that it's been won and we don't have to try any more since we won it.

We would have been served the same shite with them in the dugout as well, like most of the season so far. They are a group of losers with no hunger to battle for trophies and they've nurtured a squad into the exact same thinking.
Can't argue with that mate, yesterday was like a glimpse into the past but at times recently Beale looked the only one interested the one and done players can go.

We can only hope Gio and his team are able to replicate what Beale has. No doubt a very good coach and tactician.
I sure the new team will have them well drilled soon.

However, it is a concern that after 3 seasons of Beale instructing them and guiding them, they all forgot how to play together in the first match that he’s not there!

I remember when the players, especially senior players just sorted stuff out on the pitch. The modern day player seems to need his coach to tell him to wipe his nose.

And that was a gift with the biggest old firm collapse ever.

I am starting to wonder.

Was it a malaise through the entire set up?

Or, had a number of the players checked out when the league was won and the coaching team finally gave up trying to get them going a few weeks ago.

It's looking like half the team don't want to be there.

Given what Gerrard inherited at the time we were never in a position to challenge for anything given the rebuild he had to do in his time here especially the first season. The 2nd season we should have won the league cup got cheated out of that and we threw the league away. The cup performances last season were disappointing similar to yesterday mistakes galore costing us.

Would you give up last seasons league title for 6 Cup trophys whilst they won the league?

Thats a ridiculous either or question mate.

We've had the squad since Gerrards second season to challenge domestically and only managed it once.

We don't have a squad full of losers. We have a team of champions. We have a very decent team who for whatever reason at the moment are struggling to find motivation to kick on this season.

Despite that we are still 4 points ahead at the top of the table... looking good for Europe after Xmas and have another domestic cup to go for. They have lost 4 times domestically in 18 months.

Yesterday was honking and appreciate the anger but today is a new day, a new manager, new ideas....

Certainly looks and feels like it

I think you're wrong, Gerrard is most certainly a winner and took us from being piss poor to becoming champions again. Our players need to take a long hard look at themselves as they should've been playing to impress the new manager and they failed miserably. Thursday night is now massive as Gio will now be aware of what players want to stay and the ones that are looking to leave.

I sure the new team will have them well drilled soon.

However, it is a concern that after 3 seasons of Beale instructing them and guiding them, they all forgot how to play together in the first match that he’s not there!

I remember when the players, especially senior players just sorted stuff out on the pitch. The modern day player seems to need his coach to tell him to wipe his nose.
Goldson seems to absolve himself of any responsibility to organise the team being the main man at the back and vice captain.

Thats a ridiculous either or question mate.

We've had the squad since Gerrards second season to challenge domestically and only managed it once.
As I said we should have won the league cup in his 2nd season we got done by an offside goal as well as Forster having the game of his life. I don't get the bashing of Gerrards record overall when you look at the bigger picture and the crap he inherited. The 1 trophy he won was the one we all wanted nobody would trade that for 6 cup wins.

I think you're wrong, Gerrard is most certainly a winner and took us from being piss poor to becoming champions again. Our players need to take a long hard look at themselves as they should've been playing to impress the new manager and they failed miserably. Thursday night is now massive as Gio will now be aware of what players want to stay and the ones that are looking to leave.
Would we have won the league had Celtc not collapsed last year and there had been fans in the stadiums? The pressure would have been too much for them IMO.

Depends how you look at it. We are stronger than when he joined. However we are far weaker than a year ago, the defence in particular is a shambles and we're forced to play someone who has no interest in being here because SG left us short.

He jumped ship knowing the mess he'd created. Hopefully GVB can fix it but he needs to keep us in the race before the window opens.

Now we see why his playing days seen him win the odd trophy here and there with couple major trophies and not much else.

I think a lot of managers could have done or bettered what Gerrard done domestically if I'm honest given the backing he received from the board in his first 3 seasons.

I agree on the players.. every bit to blame.

No…. The hunks were allowed to play freely in an empty stadium with no pressure to hurt their little feelings.

Now the fans are back - the players have went back to shïtting the bed and making basic errors/ defending like school kids.

Mentally weak!
I'm sure they call this projection.

Back