Did Gerrard and key players in this squad only care about winning 55 and stopping ten in a row and it’s showing?

Would we have won the league had Celtc not collapsed last year and there had been fans in the stadiums? The pressure would have been too much for them IMO.
We broke all sorts of records for our league performances so I believe we would've won the league with or without Celtics collapse. Unfortunately I believe that was a lot of our teams pinnacle and they are seriously struggling to get going again.

Beale is the brains behind it all.

My mate is a Villa fan and said that on Saturday they were under the coach from Brighton late into the game and at a stoppage, Beale summoned 4 players over, gave them some instruction and 5 minutes later Villa were ahead.
Gerrard was talking to the 4th official at the time yet gets the headlines for his genius!

The other side of this unfortunately is that with no Beale at Hampden yesterday, our players were lost for what to do next.
Beales brains not working v Hearts or Malmo or Motherwell at home?

Most had never won anything before, and didn't think it would be difficult to keep winning.
The squad don't look fit or hungry. Too many want to leave.
We are at risk of being Celtic last season.
Change of manager has come at a good time.
Funny you should say that I mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago on here that this season reminds me of our 10 in a row failure so many comparisons .

You would think after winning their first league title in their career they would've wanted more.
With all the adulation and glory etc they received, this would've been the start for great times ahead but not this bunch of players!.
They think they've 'made it'.....sorry guys,this is Rangers you're playing for and it's in our DNA to win trophies on a regular basis.
Your attitude is all wrong and not befitting of players in the past who would've put their heads and lives on the block for our great club.
Time to take a good long hard look at yourselves!.

Beales brains not working v Hearts or Malmo or Motherwell at home?
I think it’s pretty well recognised that Beale was the guy with the greatest input tactically and in training.

It doesn’t always work out - sometimes teams are as good as you, or better than you on the day.

Rangers were honking yesterday, no two ways about it.
Hibs certainly dealt effectively with what they were up against though - 3 shots on target, 29% of possession and ran out 3-1 winners. When you are up against a superior team you would love that as an outcome.

I thought that even last season. After we won the title it should’ve been a few beers then real concentration on the European game. We had a real chance there to go on one step further than the year before and perhaps further. The last few months of the season should’ve then been rest for some and real preparation for the ECL games. We should’ve had a proper plan and focus on winning those 2 games which would’ve meant managing those who were at euros etc. Instead it all looked sluggish and a bit of going through the motions. We need to galvanise and regroup here. We’ve given the other lot a free hit at early silverware and the boost that comes with it. We’ve also not punished their early form enough to have daylight between us, it should be a good few more points.

Now everyone needs to focus and get motivated for the next few months and beyond. This season either means we become self sustainable with champs league guaranteed or we need multiple player sales/director loans to keep us at current levels. Maybe not win at all costs but it’s close to it.

Gerrard dropped us like a hat the first decent job offer back down the road.

We have not looked ourselves at all this season.

It’s gone on record from ex players and current players how much Gerrard was drilling into the team to not let them win 10 in a row from day one. After we won 55 and stopped that, has the majority of our key players and squad felt as though there job is done here?

We look absolutely broken and I feel for Gio inheriting this mess - this nonsense that Gerrard left us in a position of strength is absolute nonsense.

That result would’ve been the same yesterday if he was still here.
Got it in one.

When Gerrard came in that’s all any of us were bothered about because we were absolutely nowhere near getting 55 and they were heading for 10.

Just before the start of the season Gerrard in an interview said something along the lines "Last season is history, 55 and all that is over now, we must push on to further success".
It didn't happen, quite the opposite really. The loss to Dundee Utd followed by Malmo from being 1-0 up against 10 men at half time and going out was unacceptable and the signs were there for all to see.

With hindsight, it looks like Gerrard had no ideas on how to prevent or stop the decline that was coming with this squad. Messed up Malmo which might have seen us into the CL groups and the money that follows where it might have made it easier. Take that money away and he didn't look capable (or interested) in a solution. Rather than work with his squad, change it up, re-shuffle etc. he spat the dummy out to the board complaining about the lack of funds and tucked his tail and ran as soon as he had a PL job offering him money to spend.

I don't think it's a coincidence that there's talks of him having about £60m to spend in January for Villa.

No SG also cared about the Champions League and when he failed to beat a ten-man Malmö that ended his desire for this season. Full time will have been the moment where he spoke to his coaching staff and his agent and told them that it was time to move on.

I think it’s been a combination of factors.

Being unable to improve the squad in the manner he would have liked ahead of the CL qualifiers, which we then tumbled pitifully out of at the first time of asking (something he has to take some responsibility for) would have been foremost among them, IMO.

Without that to look forward to, this season held no new challenges for Gerrard and I think he might have looked at the accounts and realised his own legacy could be in jeopardy if he was to stagnate in his managerial career so a move to the Premiership, be it Newcastle, Villa or whoever, became more and more attractive.

I think if the players pick up on the manager being less focussed it seeps into their own game so the hope has to be that Gio can reinvigorate them with his own style and drive.

Well I think with Gios experience and medals won at the top level, he will soon put the attitude right, and if they're not with him they'll be out.
He knows what winning is all about

All season apart from the day Fashion got his hattrick and beating Celtic each game has been a painful slog. You could feel the malaise every week. We were all baffed as to what had happened. It really does appear to be that winning 55 was the end game and afterwards there was nothing they all felt obliged to strive towards. The mojo was binned.

If the truth be told, there was always a strange weakness in this Rangers team, even last year when we were romping our way to the league, in quite a few games there was a lethargy, a complacency in the way they played - even Gerrard noticed and commented upon it. But this attitude was also present in the preceding season.

What the cause of this was, or the reason for the laxity, I have absolutely no idea. In one game we would blow away the opposition, then in the very next fixture we would stumble around looking anything but league leaders. I can only attribute it to a character flaw in the team, the lack of a winners mentality, of a mental toughness. perhaps as a result of assuming they didn't have to give 100% to win, such was the poor quality of the opposition they were faced with. Whatever the case, GvB will need to address it

Would we have won the league had Celtc not collapsed last year and there had been fans in the stadiums? The pressure would have been too much for them IMO.
Why did they collapse?
They collapsed because we beat them on their own ground,going into that game they had won 7 league games on the bounce,we beat them easily,they then couldn't handle the pressure of chasing us and imploded!

When Gerrard came in that’s all any of us were bothered about because we were absolutely nowhere near getting 55 and they were heading for 10.

I don’t think folk realise it’s Scottish football and the fine margins are that you only have to be slightly better than one club because financially we blow everyone else out the water.

Remember Warburton managed to beat a Celtic team that romped to a 15 point league winning margin with a championship team assembled for pennies of,

Foderingham
Tav Kiernan Wilson Wallace
Holt Ball Halliday
McKay Miller Shiels

In Gerrards first victory over Celtic the team contained more players that he hadn’t signed.

We weren’t as far behind as folk think, the same could be said as at the start of the season we weren’t that far ahead of Celtic.

55 should have been at least one season earlier.

Good, hungry, top players use their last trophy as the benchmark for the bare minimum as their next success. Sadly this squad, or certain core parts, don’t seem to have that mentality.
And when I say top players, I don’t necessarily mean talent wise, I just mean players that want to play at the top of their levels and finish with as many trophies as possible

Parallels to Celtics season under Wim Jansen when they stopped our ten? Just putting it out there.

Absolutely nothing like it at all, they were shite and we had that league won but for stupid errors in games, they drew 2 out of their last 3 that season, our arses just collapsed

I remember Defoe saying on Jamie Carragher podcast that a few players felt it was the right time to leave after winning 55 yet not a single player was sold.

It's very telling now.
They should’ve been allowed to move on at that time.

Gerrard saw the writing on the wall with players and he knew this next run of fixtures was potentially catastrophic, and go out while he could. His comment about fulfilling his remit is very telling.

Gerrard is responsible for yesterday our league trophy will be his last as he's now up against better coaches and better players.
Beale will also not always be there to hold his hand.

Gerrard dropped us like a hat the first decent job offer back down the road.

We have not looked ourselves at all this season.

It’s gone on record from ex players and current players how much Gerrard was drilling into the team to not let them win 10 in a row from day one. After we won 55 and stopped that, has the majority of our key players and squad felt as though there job is done here?

We look absolutely broken and I feel for Gio inheriting this mess - this nonsense that Gerrard left us in a position of strength is absolute nonsense.

That result would’ve been the same yesterday if he was still here.
Gerrard said it in his villa presser. His job was to win that title, he then said job done.
Nope. Not at Rangers. You win. Then you need to win again and again.
So, if our ex manager admits he thought the job was done, it's obvious that this seeped into some of the players also.
Some have been saying since the start of the season that we have not been at it. Always told that we would play our way back into form of last season.

Well, the last week and a bit have exposed the truth.

I don’t think folk realise it’s Scottish football and the fine margins are that you only have to be slightly better than one club because financially we blow everyone else out the water.

Remember Warburton managed to beat a Celtic team that romped to a 15 point league winning margin with a championship team assembled for pennies of,

Foderingham
Tav Kiernan Wilson Wallace
Holt Ball Halliday
McKay Miller Shiels

In Gerrards first victory over Celtic the team contained more players that he hadn’t signed.

We weren’t as far behind as folk think, the same could be said as at the start of the season we weren’t that far ahead of Celtic.

55 should have been at least one season earlier.
Seriously m8 we were getting put out of Europe by part timers from Luxembourg and Celtic were winning by the largest scorelines in over 50 years. The old firm game prior to his arrival we were 5-0 down with plenty of time to play. We have to be honest we were absolutely miles behind when Gerrard took over.

That didn't happen though, so will never know.

We won it unbeaten, even if we had lost our games to them it wouldn't have mattered.

Gerrard said it in his villa presser. His job was to win that title, he then said job done.
So, if our ex manager admits he thought the job was done, it's obvious that this seeped into some of the players also.
Some have been saying since the start of the season that we have not been at it. Always told that we would play our way back into form of last season.

That's not what he said, he said his remit was to win the title thus stopping 10iar and that was job done. He also stated that the real Rangers is a winning Rangers and after winning 55 he stated forget about 55 now move on to winning more so I believe he was trying to install a winning mentality and certainly knew the clubs demands for success.

Quite simply yes and it’s not an easy problem to solve . We are fans that are emotionally tired and even we get sick of playing Ross county , st mirren 3/4 times a season . Never mind people that have no emotional attachment. It’s depressing for them and us. Why do we all get so exciting for the old firm and European nights . It’s the glamour and quality opposition (least in Europe) . The minute Malmö knocked us out the motivation went . They were all thinking great it’s another year of going to Motherwell 4 times in a shite stadium and horrible pitch . Sure we had the Europa league but how many of us were saying the atmosphere was flat at even the Europa league games this year . We couldn’t even get up for that . People have a shelf life in Scotland and unless your a fan of rangers that tends to be 3/4 years and get out of this backwater . It’s why the ultimate aim for us to be an elite club at the very top is get out of it ourself

Wonder if Gerrard is a wee bit annoyed he didn't hang on till after the semi and he might have got the Man U job or maybe not:oops:
Don't think they would have offered it to him and also don’t believe he would have wanted to go there.He needs to progress with smaller EPL clubs first.

Think of it like this. Liverpool during his playing days were a complete mess, apart from Istanbul. Now let that sink in. Was it all those gifted players and gifted managers the past twenty years who held them back?

No, it was their tokenism of having a local lad who could play a bit becoming the gatekeeper to who stayed and who didn’t at the club.

Funny how they won the league once they got SG to f**k from their set up.

Villa will go through a honeymoon period, as they glitzy name would do. But he’ll tear their dressing room apart, because you can’t bitch and be snide to ££££ players.

Im not long after saying this. Last years title was the most important now this years title is the most important. You are at the wrong club if you think you can rest on your laurels.

I dont get it though. Why would you see the celebrations last season and think I dont fancy more of that. They have flattered to decieve in every domestic cup competition they have played in. You havent "made it" far from it. 1 trophy is not good enough at Rangers. 1 final is awful. If youv lost your spark after that it tells me everything about their mentality.

Yes when they went to dubai the previous year after beating the scum they believed they were champions and took the foot off the gas,similar to this year when they believed they only had to turn up as champions,not fcking good enough for me nearly every player is up for sale apart from a few

Even though he was brought in a few seasons ago. Why dont people say stop the 8 or the 9.? He was brought in a few years ago.
Its timmy narrative.

It was always about 55.
The narrative is what it is m8 they were singing about 10iar for years and they were as sure as night follows day they were winning 10iar but thankfully Gerrard and the team put a stop to it.

Think of it like this. Liverpool during his playing days were a complete mess, apart from Istanbul. Now let that sink in. Was it all those gifted players and gifted managers the past twenty years who held them back?

No, it was their tokenism of having a local lad who could play a bit becoming the gatekeeper to who stayed and who didn’t at the club.

Funny how they won the league once they got SG to f**k from their set up.

Villa will go through a honeymoon period, as they glitzy name would do. But he’ll tear their dressing room apart, because you can’t bitch and be snide to ££££ players.
What about the FA Cups, league cups and uefa cups they won with him as a player or don't you count them.

What about the FA Cups, league cups and uefa cups they won with him as a player or don't you count them.
Yes I do account them, but I think we can all appreciate the psychological difference between knock out cup competitions, and that of a season long challenge. Which he failed, which then you have to ponder why.

It’s just an opinion, but it’s what I personally read into.

Here's my thinking

Gerrard was giving us 3 seasons (which is not bad nowadays) Probably thought he'd get the title in two (barring a post new year collapse he would have) and have a crack at the CL.
He and others probably planned not to be here this season then gave it a go when his heart wasn't in it and it's reflected on the team performances. Staying was a mistake on his part but then we'd have been pissed if he moved last summer, In fact, even if he said this was his last season fans would be calling for him to GTF.
It's a shit situation but we move on.

Yes I do account them, but I think we can all appreciate the psychological difference between knock out cup competitions, and that of a season long challenge. Which he failed, which then you have to ponder why.

It’s just an opinion, but it’s what I personally read into.
Liverpool failing to win the league was simply because other teams had more world class players than Liverpool had and they had better strength and depth. Gerrard carried Liverpool and is an absolute legend down there the only person held in higher regard amongst the fans is Dalglish that's how good Gerrard was as a player. I'm sure Klopp even mentioned Gerrard in his first interview after winning the league.

There is too many in our squad that have won nothing in their career and that 1 league title is job done. They wanted their big money move to England, it didn’t come and now the toys are out the pram.

I don’t think it helps that we have a lack of local players, Jack out injured, arfield used sparingly, and same with mcgregor. Look back at smiths two spells…2nd as an example we had a core of mcgregor, Whittaker, broadfoot, weir, Thompson, Barry, mcculloch, Boyd, Naismith and miller. Perhaps not the most gifted bunch, but they knew what it meant to play for rangers, and how to win… and helped to integrate the bougherra, jelavic and mendes of that time.

It was easy to overlook at the time because we had just completed an undefeated season but there were multiple references from players that they had used 'The Last Dance' series and the story of that Chicago bulls season to motivate themselves.

Like Gerrard has now said, he believes he completed his remit, it seems like many of the players feel like they have too. Personally feel like those comments from Gerrard (and the impression he must have been giving the players) have been a major problem. He should never have considered it as 'job done', 55 should always have been the beginning rather than the end of this team's success.

Your argument is sound, it’s just my opinion tbh. Liverpool had world class players at the time also in Saurez (and if you really wanted to stretch it, Emile Heskey :))).

Joking aside, I just find him a marmite personality. I don’t know Jack to be honest, but for me, first few seasons of throwing players under a bus, well that’s not great management. Hence, I can imagine the Liverpool dressing room with a mouthy young SG being put in a pedestal, not always being harmonious thoughout the 00’s, 2010s.

Your argument is sound, it’s just my opinion tbh. Liverpool had world class players at the time also in Saurez (and if you really wanted to stretch it, Emile Heskey :))).

Joking aside, I just find him a marmite personality. I don’t know Jack to be honest, but for me, first few seasons of throwing players under a bus, well that’s not great management. Hence, I can imagine the Liverpool dressing room with a mouthy young SG being put in a pedestal, not always being harmonious thoughout the 00’s, 2010s.
I think you quoted me by mistake, I have no clue what you are on about:)

Back