Did Gerrard and key players in this squad only care about winning 55 and stopping ten in a row and it’s showing?

Liverpool failing to win the league was simply because other teams had more world class players than Liverpool had and they had better strength and depth. Gerrard carried Liverpool and is an absolute legend down there the only person held in higher regard amongst the fans is Dalglish that's how good Gerrard was as a player. I'm sure Klopp even mentioned Gerrard in his first interview after winning the league.
Your argument is sound, it’s just my opinion tbh. Liverpool had world class players at the time also in Saurez (and if you really wanted to stretch it, Emile Heskey :))).

Joking aside, I just find him a marmite personality. I don’t know Jack to be honest, but for me, first few seasons of throwing players under a bus, well that’s not great management. Hence, I can imagine the Liverpool dressing room with a mouthy young SG being put in a pedestal, not always being harmonious thoughout the 00’s, 2010s.

That's not what he said, he said his remit was to win the title thus stopping 10iar and that was job done. He also stated that the real Rangers is a winning Rangers and after winning 55 he stated forget about 55 now move on to winning more so I believe he was trying to install a winning mentality and certainly knew the clubs demands for success.
You agree that he stated in the villa presser that winning the title was job done?
The rest of your statement is stuff he said up here after winning the title, months ago.

I don’t think it’s the ONLY thing they care about but absolutely they were drilled to have a single goal and emptied their tanks to make it happen.

Definitely feels a bit of ‘well now what?’ around our performances.

Not qualifying for the CL won’t have helped.
Thats a good point amid a sea of nonsense around Gerrard and his legacy.

The CL was the ultimate aim for this season with everything else playing second fiddle. It was dead in the water almost before the season had even began and from that moment everything has stuttered badly. Im not sure anything other than a complete change of Management would have been able to restart the momentum and desire which had been lost so early but we shall see.

Its entirely possible to make something of this season but the timeline is incredibly short given the game Thursday then important run of League matches over the next 4-5 weeks.

Its going to take off like a rocket or go pear shaped and we'll know which by New Year.

We broke all sorts of records for our league performances so I believe we would've won the league with or without Celtics collapse. Unfortunately I believe that was a lot of our teams pinnacle and they are seriously struggling to get going again.
Agree. SG knew if he stopped 10 it would elevate his status with fans, he won the "big" title and became a hero for it, for stoping 10. Would the hysteria and lofty aclaim be the same if he had stopped 3 in a row? He knew his stock was high and got out while going was good.IF he syayed and didnt get 56 he would have been seen as a one season wonder

Agree. SG knew if he stopped 10 it would elevate his status with fans, he won the "big" title and became a hero for it, for stoping 10. Would the hysteria and lofty aclaim be the same if he had stopped 3 in a row? He knew his stock was high and got out while going was good.IF he syayed and didnt get 56 he would have been seen as a one season wonder
I agree with that last sentence, getting 2, even 3 titles would have made little difference. Getting closer to home and family mustve been a huge attraction for him.

I find it very hard to believe that Gerrard and his full staff were appointed just to stop 10 in a row
Surely the board were thinking longer-term in recruiting a young manager who could take the club to a higher level.
When he talks about having fulfilled his remit I actually think that he was having a veiled dig at the board as in it was only them who were happy to settle for stopping 10 and in his mind didn't back him to take the team to the next level. If he has spread that around the training ground no wonder that we have a bit of a silent rebellion with players not giving their all for the Jersey.
I initially felt that we should thank him and his team for the contribution and wish him well in his new career but the more time I get to think about it the more annoyed I get at the way he has left took all of this staff with him and left us in the lurch at a crucial time in the season
Our new manager has a bit of a task on his hands in galvanising this group of players. I sincerely hope that he looks them all in the eye and tells them that they are playing for the world's greatest club and that anybody that doesn't want to be there will be helped out of the door during the transfer window. In the meantime they need to get a grip and show some professionalism and pride in their own performance.

There was tentative bids for a number of our players,

however Gerrard wanted to have his cake and eat it

he wanted any players sold replaced so any money coming in was going straight back out

him and Ross Wilson fell out over this.
Yet Ross Wilson stated only yesterday that any money received via player trading would be re-invested?
What, exactly, is a tentative bid? An enquiry?

Didn't Porto bid for Morelos? Could be others that didnt make mainstream news such as Helander saying to Swedish press when he was on international duty there was real interest in him from Villa and Leicester.
Did they meet our asking price at the time?

It's all very well saying, sell him or sell him but if we have a valuation and it's not met, then we don't sell.
Constantly selling on the cheap is no way to do business.

Did they meet our asking price at the time?

It's all very well saying, sell him or sell him but if we have a valuation and it's not met, then we don't sell.
Constantly selling on the cheap is no way to do business.
Evidently not but I'd rather we had sold players who didn't want to be here for under there valuation as this is what happens.

Another scenario: the team is burnt-out and punched above their weight. They couldn’t keep up that intensity or level.

Here’s my 20p worth and it’s something I said last season when we were demolishing teams, I said that it was fantastic but I really hoped that we weren’t just peaking to “stop the 10”. I know that sounds strange as obviously I was desperate to win the league but I feared this may happen and my mates laughed at me.

I reckon a lot of the players signed due to the Gerrard factor, I believe he told them they can come to Scotland, make themselves legends by stopping 10 in a row then move on to a better league. This has happened so you now have players out there minus the manager that attracted them and minus their promised move(ironic, as it’s their fault).

Gerrard then fell on his sword as the players are thinking “Job done” and how is he supposed to change that mentality when it was him who created it?

Just my theory.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think that was evident from the attitude the players & management showed towards the Slavia games. We all had a laugh about them being pissed and hungover, but we had a chance of progressing in the EL and completely lost focus after winning 55. Showed a lack of professionalism for me.

Yes and why we need to reset the dressingroom. It’s clearly not a competitive environment between those playing and those who sit on the sidelines.

Ultimately, the previous management let the rot set in as they decided they were not for sticking around. In many ways they’ve probably done us a favour leaving now so a new management team can reset the entire place, move a few out and being in some fresh blood.

I think it goes back to the summer.
Pre season was a bit of a shambles, not entirely the clubs fault, with The Euros and Covid restrictions.
Our failure to negotiate a path into the CL Group Stages was, with hindsight, the beginning of the end for Steven Gerrard, seems to me that he lost his enthusiasm for our club and his job. This was partially confirmed with leaks in the wake of his leaving for Villa, when we were told that team meetings and training had "lost their zip". This reflects badly on our former manager.
The whole season to this point has been a disaster waiting to happen, Sunday's performance/result was coming.

Gio has a huge job on his hands, it's akin to turning an oil tanker. He has to somehow maintain our lead in the league until after the New Year game at Parkhead and then try and bring in some new blood.
Easier said than done.

Personally, I think we did peak to "Stop The Ten" and I will be forever grateful for that.
The truth is that seeing them win 10 in a row and then seeing them celebrate it would have been monumental and not in a good way.
Our 15 game run from September to January last season absolutely broke them.

People will say that this season is more important because of the CL money but for me last season was THE time and if they had won that least season we would be in an even worse spot right now.

However, yes, the downside to all of this is that the players and the management all achieved their goals and then attempted to coast along this season. That was a mistake.

Realistically the management team should have moved on after last season. Gerrard was perilously close to either walking or being pushed in February/March 2020 and would have been gone if 2020/21 season had started badly.

Tav, Goldson, Barisic and Morelos could and probably should have been moved on.
Patterson and Bassey are overdue their chance to step up.
Morelos stayed with us when he could have moved and should have been allowed his move in the summer.
I don't know about Goldson, really. Many on here are too harsh. I would have moved him on for his own good and for the club.
Use that money to improve the team.

Arfield, Davis and McGregor should be taking a back seat now.
Guys who can come in when needed but who shouldn't really be first picks.
Keep them with the squad for that experience and support.

As a club, we've basically tried to coast through this season and we are very nearly getting away with it. Another tim team would have had us 4 or 5 points behind right now but they are dropping points at an insane rate and that has saved us.

The league cup is gone and Gerrard is gone. I can write off Thursday night to some extent if we can at least secure 3rd place in the group (I think a draw confirms it as long as Lyon beat Brondby).

This team needs to be ready to go up several gears for the next 9 league games.

Pre season was a bit of a shambles, not entirely the clubs fault, with The Euros and Covid restrictions.
Our failure to negotiate a path into the CL Group Stages was, with hindsight, the beginning of the end for Steven Gerrard, seems to me that he lost his enthusiasm for our club and his job. This was partially confirmed with leaks in the wake of his leaving for Villa, when we were told that team meetings and training had "lost their zip". This reflects badly on our former manager.
The whole season to this point has been a disaster waiting to happen, Sunday's performance/result was coming.

Gio has a huge job on his hands, it's akin to turning an oil tanker. He has to somehow maintain our lead in the league until after the New Year game at Parkhead and then try and bring in some new blood.
Easier said than done.

I think as long as we can keep ourselves at worst 4 points behind them (and an 8 point swing hopefully is really unlikely) then the winter break gives us a chance to come back stronger than ever.

They are largely untested while our guys have won the league already last season. They have that rough run of fixtures down to the split with Aberdeen, Livingston, Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell and then us at Ibrox. For me that is going to be where the league is won or lost.

We up our workrate between now and January 2nd. Try to take as many points as possible.
Then we come back from the winter break ready to go on a significant winning streak.

I'm wondering if Gerrard sold it to the players as "win this league and you can go anywhere". That it's not worked out that way would certainly explain why the players look a total shadow of themselves this season, compared to last season.

Total speculation of course, but Gerrard fùcking off at the first concrete EPL club to tickle his belly, and our subsequent performance just strengthens that case.

Easier said than done.
Gio has a huge job and with his managerial pedigree I think he'll get the players going again.

Personally, I think we did peak to "Stop The Ten" and I will be forever grateful for that.
The truth is that seeing them win 10 in a row and then seeing them celebrate it would have been monumental and not in a good way.
Our 15 game run from September to January last season absolutely broke them.

People will say that this season is more important because of the CL money but for me last season was THE time and if they had won that least season we would be in an even worse spot right now.

However, yes, the downside to all of this is that the players and the management all achieved their goals and then attempted to coast along this season. That was a mistake.

Realistically the management team should have moved on after last season. Gerrard was perilously close to either walking or being pushed in February/March 2020 and would have been gone if 2020/21 season had started badly.

Tav, Goldson, Barisic and Morelos could and probably should have been moved on.
Patterson and Bassey are overdue their chance to step up.
Morelos stayed with us when he could have moved and should have been allowed his move in the summer.
I don't know about Goldson, really. Many on here are too harsh. I would have moved him on for his own good and for the club.
Use that money to improve the team.

Arfield, Davis and McGregor should be taking a back seat now.
Guys who can come in when needed but who shouldn't really be first picks.
Keep them with the squad for that experience and support.

As a club, we've basically tried to coast through this season and we are very nearly getting away with it. Another tim team would have had us 4 or 5 points behind right now but they are dropping points at an insane rate and that has saved us.

The league cup is gone and Gerrard is gone. I can write off Thursday night to some extent if we can at least secure 3rd place in the group (I think a draw confirms it as long as Lyon beat Brondby).

This team needs to be ready to go up several gears for the next 9 league games.
Lots to agree with here, but I can't write off Thursday - it's got to be won.

I think a number of players have had enough of playing in Scotland, rather than playing for Rangers, and a number of them thought they would be on the move after good performances last season, especially BB & GK, who could showcase themselves at the Euros.

Moves haven't materialised, Malmo was a disaster, & now the manager who brought them here has gone - it's a combination of circumstances. Gerrard, and most of those players when they also leave won't give Rangers a backward glance as they head south.

Where we find ourselves demonstrates why successful teams strengthen at the top - it brings fresh hunger & avoids the staleness we are seeing. We obviously didn't/couldn't strengthen & it's showing.

What I didn't foresee was such a collective downturn in performances - every single player worse than last season - it's an astonishing downturn.

Probably not going to be a popular opinion but I think that was evident from the attitude the players & management showed towards the Slavia games. We all had a laugh about them being pissed and hungover, but we had a chance of progressing in the EL and completely lost focus after winning 55. Showed a lack of professionalism for me.
100% correct. Said it at time the fact the players were still drunk on the Monday was shocking. The stuff with Gerrard in the dressing room was way over the top. A good few players have not kicked a ball since that weekend.

Back