Worst weather you have attended a game in?

Walter Smith’s final home game v Dundee United in 2011.

It was absolutely chucking it down in the 2nd half and when he did his lap of honour.

And I was in the very front row of the broomloan, waiting for him to work his way round
Couple rows behind you bud.
Also inside the stadium before the Aberdeen postponement 20 minutes before ko in 1992, which was biblical proportions..

First game I thought of was Kilmarnock away 1994!
Totally drenched!
I remember after the game, the road where buses were parked (beside the river) was like a river!! Also buses had been moved due to flooding & running about in torrential rain trying to find the bus we were travelling on! Got warmed up a bit in Stranraer social club before the ferry home!

Can’t remember being much colder than Livingston at Ibrox a couple of years ago

Think Arfield rescued us with a goal

The Auld Old Firm game, was about 12 at the time and absolutely frozen. Coldest I’ve ever been at a football game, seeing Super Ally score a hat trick and Brian Laudrup on the pitch cheered me up thou

Osasuna at Ibrox for the wettest by a long way, the coldest for me was in Bochum to play CSKA Moscow champions league 92.

was thinking about heading down to warrenpoint tonight to take in a local game here in the Irish league, but weather came in total shit this afternoon I decided against it. So what’s the worst weather you remember at a game?

Few weeks ago against Aberdeen was shocking, got absolutley drenched. I’d near say that’s the biggest soaking I had going to a game!

The coldest I remember was a midweek semi final against hearts in the league cup at hampden, think possibly the 2003 season where we beat them 1-0. Shite game and fucking baltic
Semi final against the mentally challengeds at Hamden when Robertson got sent off after about 7 minutes.Coisty scored and we won 1-0, think it was 1992/3.

Morton in the Scottish cup, finished 3 all

Was freezing and terraces were all iced up

Seem to remember a half time snowball fight that day as well

But Osasuna at Ibrox and Leipzig away run them close
Cappielow mid 80's, sure this was the same game. Not only bloody freezing, but felt like a wind tunnel.

Pittodrie 06 was pretty bad. Was a heavy snow blizzard and I was in the first row and could barely see the touch line in front of me. I went up in a bloody T-shirt in February and even worse we got beat 2-0.

Valletta at Ibrox early 90s. Game where Chris Woods missed the penalty. Got absolutely drenched in the Govan Front that night

Livorno away and Hearts at Tynecastle around late 90’s. Another one was during Le Guen’s season away to Falkirk. The temporary stand did well to remain in place.

I remember a game in the mid-80's, when all local games in my area were snowed off, so having checked by phone was told that the home game v Hamilton was still on I took the gamble of booking the overnight train to Glasgow(from Cardiff) and took my son and nephew to the game which we won 2-0 despite Butcher and Durrant being red carded. I came home happy, bur was somewhat distraught when a couple of weeks later, Hamilton and Sprott (remember him?) knocked us out of the Scottish cup at Ibrox

Livorno was absolutely torture!

Alloa away back in 2014 or 15, in that shitty wee tent with the snow belting in was probably the worst for me!

Game up at Tannaduce think it was 1-1 with MoJo scoring then game was abandoned at half time. Also when we played at Love Street in the early 90’s it was so bad we left at half time.
I remember that game well at Tannadice well.
Absolutely baltic with snow showers that were unreal.

Coldest - St Johnstone away when we got beat 4-1, Papac scored for us. Was frozen that night. Went back to the bus with 10 mins to go just to get a heat.

Wettest - Went to watch my brother play for Alloa u-21 vs. East Stirling in Falkirk in the late 90’s. Sideways rain. To this day never seen anything like it. Think the game finished 5-3 but it was a monsoon.
That St Johnstone game is probably the coldest and worst game I've been to supporting us.

I remember being drenched the game where McDonald scored that volley at Ibrox and Celtic beat us 1-0. A freezing home bus back to Aberdeen was brutal.

Wettest Anglo Scottish Cup 1980 at Chesterfield. Coldest Ibrox v Dundee Utd when Boyd broke the Martian’s record

For cold, somehow a game against Clyde in the Glasgow cup sticks in my mind. Circa 1980.

I think the crowd was given as 2000 and we were all huddled together.

From memory I think we won 2-0.

Aberdeen on a cold Wednesday night a few years ago when they pumped us out the cup 2-0. Was thankful for sitting at the back of the club deck.

Hibs couple years ago I'm sure it was a festive game at Ibrox . Was ok before game but once underway it opened up and didn’t stop till I got home. Subway queue was the worst part. I was night shift that night so I got in and dried off and straight to my kip. I’m sure we won 2-1 that day :))

Been in all weathers but the coldest I ever remember was up at Tannadice with @gw4877 years back.

It was March or April but the wind absolutely chilled you to the bone. I only had on a light jacket as well as the weather was fine down the road.

Took me days to thaw out.

Wettest Anglo Scottish Cup 1980 at Chesterfield. Coldest Ibrox v Dundee Utd when Boyd broke the Martian’s record
I was at that game too.

Memorable for the cloth tit I got from a rather brazen young local lady.
I had to f uck off for the game or I reckon I'd have gotten my Nat King.

Boy, did I make the wrong decision that night.

I remember Billy McKay was the only player who played well and Colin McAdam hit about the shittiest penalty I've ever seen
It was indeed stoating down that night.

Hearts at Tynecastle around 1990. Sleet hammered down all day. Freezing cold on an open terrace and absolutely soaked to the skin on the train back to Glasgow where the sleet had fallen as snow.

For Rain. Osasuna or SC Semi 1-0 (McCoist) v the crash barriers
Shear cold 7-0 game v Hibs I think Glasgow dropped to -18 that day.

Last edited:
Hearts game at Ibrox in 2015 was bad and the only game at Ibrox I recall being abandoned!
That would be mine. Can't remember when it started snowing but the whole day just seemed like waiting for the match to be called off. Think the ref abandoned after about 7 minutes?

Happier memory was Love Street in 1991, bucketing rain and Sandy Robertson volley for a 1-0 win. My first league game, first away game, first time I'd seen us win in the flesh, and - most importantly - Walter's first game in charge.

That Ayr United cup game a couple of years ago nearly ended my interest in going to the football.

An absolutely miserable day of weather.

was thinking about heading down to warrenpoint tonight to take in a local game here in the Irish league, but weather came in total shit this afternoon I decided against it. So what’s the worst weather you remember at a game?

Few weeks ago against Aberdeen was shocking, got absolutley drenched. I’d near say that’s the biggest soaking I had going to a game!

The coldest I remember was a midweek semi final against hearts in the league cup at hampden, think possibly the 2003 season where we beat them 1-0. Shite game and fucking baltic
Tannadice in the late 80’ so bad only about 100 of bears in the greenhouse end , 1 nil to us, mark walters, big gough reportedly suffered from hypothermia after the game

I went to see Culter Juniors (Aberdeen) playing Berwick Rangers in a 2nd round Scottish Cup tie back in 2013. There was no cover, I didn't take an umbrella with me, it absolutely poured for the entire duration of the game and I was literally saturated when it finished. I vowed afterwards that I'd never do that again.

Scotland France February 1989. Torrential downpour that night. Thought that wouldn't be surpassed till Us v them in the SC semi final 1992. That was horrendous, although the score made up for it
Forgot about the weather that night I was in section J soaked to the skin what a night

Falkirk Stadium in 2006 under Le Guen in that wee temporary stand….would have been as well being no stand there.

Amazed nobody else has mentioned this game because the whole away end looked like they’d jumped in a river. Lost 1-0 to top it all off.

Aye then Scumdee Utd had the audacity to charge us for the replayed game but not their own fans.
When we were leaving the ground ( drenched ) the B-stards announced that ALL existing tickets would be valid for the replay , only to announce that we had to pay again - C-nts .
Sure that we were 1-0 up at half time too , Steve Davis goal ..... ?

Back