Worst weather you have attended a game in?

Dynamo Moscow away in 2001 was Baltic . Livorno away was pouring down aw day I can remember a wee shop in Pisa making a fortune wae aw the bears in buying umbrellas

Rangers v Celtic Scottish cup semi-final
being raining all day
super Ally scored
North enclosure that night , drenched and the wind was horrendous , longest second half of a game ever as they had the elements at their back - 10 men held firm
What a night

Waddel was a wanker sending Robertson off for that challenge

Boxing Day 1998 St Johnstone think there were big storms and remember getting home with my dad and we had a power cut which lasted well into the Sunday .

Scotland France February 1989. Torrential downpour that night. Thought that wouldn't be surpassed till Us v them in the SC semi final 1992. That was horrendous, although the score made up for it
This one for me - I was in an uncovered section for the Scotland v France game and never been as soaked at a match since.

Fortunately I was in the covered Rangers end for the SC Semi!

I was in Dortmund in 1995 - that is without doubt the coldest match.

First highland derby in the new caley stadium. Mid 90’s

Minus 100. Maybe minus 110

Wind blowing from the west. Very hard.

Only stand facing the west.

Early January.

It was horrible.

But the sun was shining :D

Another monsoon game was the Glasgow Cup final v them mid 70s at Hampden. North Enclosure, no cover. Droont..

A game at Pitoddrie in the 90's, absolutely howling weather. Ally slid about 10 yards and clattered Snelders.

I was at that game too.

Memorable for the cloth tit I got from a rather brazen young local lady.
I had to f uck off for the game or I reckon I'd have gotten my Nat King.

Boy, did I make the wrong decision that night.

I remember Billy McKay was the only player who played well and Colin McAdam hit about the shittiest penalty I've ever seen
It was indeed stoating down that night.
Wrong choice was certainly made buddy.

I remember going to watch Coleraine away at Newry years ago. It was a pishy day when we left but the closer we got to Newry the worse it got. Blowing sleet by the time the match started. Sat in a wee rickety wooden stand with the sleet hitting us right in the face.
Watched til half time then went and sat on the bus cos we were too young to get served in the social club!
:))Terracing was a mound of quarry dust down there . mud bath on a wet day and a dust storm in the dry LOL .
Some bad days at carrick rangers ,most days come to think off it .got soaked a couple of weeks back.
does the sun ever shine in carrick

Probably Kilmarnock 1-2 Rangers, the Scottish Cup in 2016, Nicky Clark 92nd minute winner in the pissing rain

Falkirk Stadium in 2006 under Le Guen in that wee temporary stand….would have been as well being no stand there.

Amazed nobody else has mentioned this game because the whole away end looked like they’d jumped in a river. Lost 1-0 to top it all off.
Livorno away and Hearts at Tynecastle around late 90’s. Another one was during Le Guen’s season away to Falkirk. The temporary stand did well to remain in place.

I did! B-)

Wettest - Livorno
Coldest - Berwick rangers away in the Scottish cup when Mcleish was manager
Wildest - game at st Johnstone / rain & wind was crazy , can’t mind the year

Valletta in the 80s ,I got absolutely drenched waiting on the supporters bus and got drenched again at the game as the back of the enclosure was full so was out in the rain down the front ,lucky I didn't get pneumonia :eek:

Cappielow around 1970 rain pouring down before and during the game,rivers of water running down the unprotected terrace.2-0 up with about 10 minutes to go drew 2-2.soaked through.
On a happier note, drove up from London to stand on the North Enclosure at Hampden 91 semi final ,Robertson sent off after about 5 minutes,McCoist scores before half time,rain peed down for the whole game,soaked through couldn't of cared less.

Went to see Crystal Palace play Notts Forest in the FA cup back in 1987. It was an impulse decision after a Sunday lunchtime session in the pub. We were only a 20 minute walk from the stadium, but there was a foot of snow on the pavements. My feet were already like blocks of ice by the time we got in and the game started.

A game at Pitoddrie in the 90's, absolutely howling weather. Ally slid about 10 yards and clattered Snelders.
That was one of mine. Could hardly see walking over Broad Hill the rain was coming in that hard. Sitting in the Beach end soaking and cold the whole game.
Love Street early nineties as well. Took my t-shirt off and left it on the bus before the game so had something dry to put on after it. Absolutely wringing standing on that open terrace.

New years day game at Ibrox years ago. Battered down all day and had to walk back to town as there was no transport.
Bonus was my mate worked in the City Chambers and we went back to his workshop and tanned a bottle of Grouse he'd been given.
Coldest didn't involve Rangers, it was a gig, at Ibrox, with Elton John & Billy Joel.
Freezing cold, that bad, Billy Joel had to cancel further tour dates as he had pneumonia.
That was in June...

Ayr Utd away in a cup match in the 90’s never been as wet with a jacket on.

Home to Hibs 7-0 was the coldest match was delayed because half the gates in the Hoban front were frozen shut. Sure it was around -20

Anyone remember CSKA in Bochum? I was really young but I remember it being absolutely freezing.

Old Tannadice. Me and my brother went on Clarkston bus. Steamed up windows the whole road back, The cold and rain would probably kill me now. :eek:
Reported in press next day Stuart Munro actually got hypothermia playing in it.
Fans were made of hardy stuff back then: or we were just stupid.:))
That was the first game I thought of. Jumped on the supporters bus straight from work in just my suit and stood in the rain and hail soaked to the skin. Way back on the bus was miserable as well given how wet we all were!
Recognise loads of the other games mentioned. Thistle away circa 94 I wore oilskins! Game v Hibs when Gazza got booked for showing the ref the yellow card after he dropped it. All the stadium catering shut due to burst pipes. Baltic.
More recently up at Peterhead was very cold. 1976 after Motherwell Cup semi, huge hail storm after the game which would have been April.

was thinking about heading down to warrenpoint tonight to take in a local game here in the Irish league, but weather came in total shit this afternoon I decided against it. So what’s the worst weather you remember at a game?

Few weeks ago against Aberdeen was shocking, got absolutley drenched. I’d near say that’s the biggest soaking I had going to a game!

The coldest I remember was a midweek semi final against hearts in the league cup at hampden, think possibly the 2003 season where we beat them 1-0. Shite game and fucking baltic
Unirea - Romania

I froze, Literally !

Had many a freezing midweek night at Bloomfield road but the game versus Wednesday sticks in the mind purely because of their Tango man. I’m chittering with five layers on and he’s topless in a (then) uncovered away end . Incredible

Livorno away, took me days to dry out afterwards
We knew the rain was going to be bad there so I took a spare shirt and jeans to change in to after the game, sitting on the bus going back to the airport feeling smug as fck. :)

Coldest game by a mile was Dortmund away mid nineties.

Back in the early to mid 70s at Ibrox V Killie, baltic and about 8 inches of snow fell, gale force winds. The Govan ferry was still on to get us home. Made of stern stuff in those days. We won 4 nil.

I was at that game too.

Memorable for the cloth tit I got from a rather brazen young local lady.
I had to f uck off for the game or I reckon I'd have gotten my Nat King.

Boy, did I make the wrong decision that night.

I remember Billy McKay was the only player who played well and Colin McAdam hit about the shittiest penalty I've ever seen
It was indeed stoating down that night.

Fucks a cloth tit?

:))Terracing was a mound of quarry dust down there . mud bath on a wet day and a dust storm in the dry LOL .
Some bad days at carrick rangers ,most days come to think off it .got soaked a couple of weeks back.
does the sun ever shine in carrick
Aye Carrick is a cold wee hole of a ground too right enough. Likewise ballyskeagh and of course our good friends in ballymena!

First game I thought of was Kilmarnock away 1994!
Totally drenched!
I remember after the game, the road where buses were parked (beside the river) was like a river!! Also buses had been moved due to flooding & running about in torrential rain trying to find the bus we were travelling on! Got warmed up a bit in Stranraer social club before the ferry home!
Me and a couple of other bears travelled over by car and ferry from NI. The tramps were playing Hearts at hampden as the midden was being renovated.

There was only about two busloads of them on the boat and as we went to Ayr for a bite to eat it came over the radio that their game was called off so that meant that it was about turn and straight home for them.

I was surprised the game was not called off due to the amount of rain falling. My abiding memory of that day was a bear who opened his driver side of his car and a torrent of water came flooding out. It turned out that he did not fully close his window and as he was at the game the rain had been building up.

At Ibrox against Motherwell in December 2017. It was so unbelievably cold that night. I don't think i've been as cold in my entire life.

Ayr away a few years ago in the cup, absolutely brass monkeys on the exposed terrace

My first away game at Falkirk we lost 1-0 under PLG. I was sat in the front row and it was utterly horrendous.

Did Patterson score an equaliser in that game?
Yep, thought it was never coming, the ball wouldn’t/couldn’t move across the ground with so much standing water so whenever we tried to shoot it was like a toddler had struck the ball.

torrential rain Tynecastle early 90s
blizzard Tannadice late 80s
torrential rain leading to flooding, Rugby Park late 90s

Dundee United 1-1 Rangers, December 1989. Played in a howling gale with snow, sleet and rain. The ball kept sticking to the surface (it helped with our goal). I was behind the goal, no cover and I couldn't stop shivering or stop my teeth chattering. Back on the bus everybody was soaked to the skin and just could not dry out. I ended up with the mother of all colds and was off work for days :))

Old love street, most games were off due to the weather however ours against st mirren remained on. I was in my early youth and we managed to ‘bung’ the steward a few pound to get into the covered section across from the main stand due to the down pouring of rain as our tickets were for the uncovered behind the goal. Raging at steward as no sooner had he opened the gate and let the 4 of us in, and we ran up the embankment, the steward got a volley of abuse from us it was the section we had tickets originally for - behind the goal !!!

Back