Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Scottish Cup, 1965? (If so, Baxter’s first game after Vienna).
Yes, it was his comeback game, with Baxter leading the team out that day, and one of the few times he wore the No.10 shirt.
It was the first domestic Cup Tie we had lost in two and half years/36 Cup Ties.
Since the start of the 1960's Rangers had collected 8 of the 10 Cups available
( 4 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups).

The Evening Times reported a crowd of 55,000 at Easter Rd that day.
The Goal from that photo above was scored by Willie Hamilton, after only 4 mins.
Hynd equalised for Rangers, before Hibs nicked the the winner in the 89th min.

Yes, it was his comeback game, with Baxter leading the team out that day, and one of the few times he wore the No.10 shirt.
It was the first domestic Cup Tie we had lost in two and half years/36 Cup Ties.
Since the start of the 1960's Rangers had collected 8 of the 10 Cups available
( 4 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups).

The Evening Times reported a crowd of 55,000 at Easter Rd that day.
The Goal from that photo above was scored by Willie Hamilton, after only 4 mins.
Hynd equalised for Rangers, before Hibs nicked the the winner in the 89th min.
Neil Martin with the goal.

Yes mate.
George Farm , then the Dunfermline Ath manager was one of the most quoted as replacement for Davie White after his sacking in Nov 69.
Of course, after a few days, it emerged that Willie Waddell would take the job.
Having won the Scottish Cup in 1968 and taken the Pars to the Cup winners Cup semi final in 1969, he would have appeared to be on the 'up'. However less than a year later he was sacked by Dunfermline as they drifted towards the bottom of the league.
The swings of Manager's fortunes can be very cruel.

George Farm , then the Dunfermline Ath manager was one of the most quoted as replacement for Davie White after his sacking in Nov 69.
Of course, after a few days, it emerged that Willie Waddell would take the job.
Having won the Scottish Cup in 1968 and taken the Pars to the Cup winners Cup semi final in 1969, he would have appeared to be on the 'up'. However less than a year later he was sacked by Dunfermline as they drifted towards the bottom of the league.
The swings of Manager's fortunes can be very cruel.
I vaguely remember that.
Wasn’t he English?

B41-BB499-88-DF-45-E3-BD14-71-FC4-DB3-E027.jpg

Henderson & Baxter v “Tiny” Wharton.

I vaguely remember that.
Wasn’t he English?

I'm sure I read something about George Farm being the Blackpool goalie in the famous Stanley Matthews FA Cup Final.

Not 100%, but when reading some stuff about Matthews, I'm sure he got a mention.

Edit... Just seen the post from @Lairdo.

Late to the party.
B-D

My late grandpa was at this game and the final.

I remember him telling me that he when he saw what Real Madrid did to Eintracht, he was delighted we never made the final.
My dad was at both too.

He always said Di Stefano was the best player of his lifetime, even though I'd imagine he actually only saw him play that once once in that 7-3 game.

Must have been some performance for him to say he was better than Baxter.

Neil Martin with the goal.
Sorry mate, not sure where you are getting this from, but as far as I can tell, the only time Neil Martin scored against Rangers in the 6 games he faced us, was 5 weeks earlier, when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win in the League encounter.

All reports I can find on the Cup game, where that photo was taken from, indicate it was Willie Hamilton who scored that goal

1965030601.jpg

1965030603.jpg

Is that Ibrox? The terracing doesn’t look as steeped. Might be the camera angle.
I see where you are coming from re the steepness but I reckon it’s the Broomloan terracing - (bizarrely) the height/design of the wee white wall looks like Ibrox to me and the stairway numbers 1&2.

I see where you are coming from re the steepness but I reckon it’s the Broomloan terracing - (bizarrely) the height/design of the wee white wall looks like Ibrox to me and the stairway numbers 1&2.
It was the stairway numbers that made me think it might just be the camera angle. Just looks much lower than normal.

ps - is that Davie Wilson next to Ralph?

It was the stairway numbers that made me think it might just be the camera angle. Just looks much lower than normal.

ps - is that Davie Wilson next to Ralph?
I’m not sure, there are similarities but the guy in the photo looks to have curly or wavy hair whilst Davie had straighter blond hair.

Sorry mate, not sure where you are getting this from, but as far as I can tell, the only time Neil Martin scored against Rangers in the 6 games he faced us, was 5 weeks earlier, when he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win in the League encounter.

All reports I can find on the Cup game, where that photo was taken from, indicate it was Willie Hamilton who scored that goal

1965030601.jpg

1965030603.jpg
My mistake Mo, the old memory ain't what it used to be.

Definitely the Celtic end at Ibrox. Great photo @ItsInTheNet. I don’t think that is Davie Wilson next to Ralph Brand although in the late 50’s, Davie’s hair colour was darker before he went prematurely blond. The terracing steps are a different colour to the stairways which makes me think this photo was before 1962 when the Celtic end terracing began to be concreted.

Definitely the Celtic end at Ibrox. Great photo @ItsInTheNet. I don’t think that is Davie Wilson next to Ralph Brand although in the late 50’s, Davie’s hair colour was darker before he went prematurely blond. The terracing steps are a different colour to the stairways which makes me think this photo was before 1962 when the Celtic end terracing began to be concreted.
That's a great spot @The Meik's Crombie ! My initial thoughts were that it was in the 50s when this photo was taken.

That's a great spot @The Meik's Crombie ! My initial thoughts were that it was in the 50s when this photo was taken.

Rangers training session at Ibrox. Ralph Brand nearest camera.

Rangers training session at Ibrox. Ralph Brand nearest camera.

I think it is actually Davie Wilson next to Ralph in the days before Davie Wilson went blonde. The player fourth along from Ralph Brand is definitely the Paisley born George McLean (1) who joined us in 1959 and left for Norwich City on 22nd March 1962. He played a number of first team games scoring three goals. On page 99 of Willie Allison's book 'Rangers - The New Era' describing season 1960/61 the author seems to confuse George McLean (1) with George (Dandy) McLean who didn't arrive at Ibrox until 1963. I recall reading in an English football book that the two McLean's were cousins i haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else. There's definitely a facial resemblence between the two George McLean's. It looks like a pre-season photo so that would narrow it down to the summer of 61 or before.

I think it is actually Davie Wilson next to Ralph in the days before Davie Wilson went blonde. The player fourth along from Ralph Brand is definitely the Paisley born George McLean (1) who joined us in 1959 and left for Norwich City on 22nd March 1962. He played a number of first team games scoring three goals. On page 99 of Willie Allison's book 'Rangers - The New Era' describing season 1960/61 the author seems to confuse George McLean (1) with George (Dandy) McLean who didn't arrive at Ibrox until 1963. I recall reading in an English football book that the two McLean's were cousins i haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else. There's definitely a facial resemblence between the two George McLean's. It looks like a pre-season photo so that would narrow it down to the summer of 61 or before.
Is that Norrie Martin three along from Ralph Brand?

Is that Norrie Martin three along from Ralph Brand?

It certainly looks like Norrie although a bit chunkier than we would later see him. I find it hard to accept that i was a big fan of Tommy Steele back in those days and got a little plastic Tommy Steele guitar for Christmas. Maybe Tommy was the inspiration for Davie Wilson to go blonde.

Back