Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers players celebrate 16 year old Derek Johnstone's League Cup Final winning goal 1970

11938229.jpg
Brilliant photo @MO_TxTruBlu. Willie Wallace looks as if he enjoyed the goal too.

Who would he have replaced? George McLean?
Wallace could play anywhere across the front five positions.

'Willie Wallace was keen to move away from Hearts, and Rangers were known to be interested. Then, on December 6, with Rangers in Germany in the ECWC, Jock Stein struck and Willie Wallace signed for Celtic for a club record £30,000. Stein was delighted and stated that Celtic had signed a one man forward line who could play in any of the five forward positions and also, on occasions, at right half'.

He could have replaced Alex Smith, he would have provided competition for George McLean and an out of form Jim Forrest, right at the time, Jock Stein signed him for Celtic.
He was a Rangers fan, and was desperate to sign for us, by all accounts.
Berwick might never have happened with Wallace in the side, and of course I know that is just pure speculation, though I firmly believe that had we a strikeforce of Wallace, Forrest and Mclean over the next coming few years, Celtic's 9 in a row would never have happened.
Our top goalscorers over the next 3 seasons were Alex Smith, Alex Ferguson and Willie Johnston, and with all due respect, none of those three were in the same class as Wallace, Forrest or McLean as prolific goalscorers.

Celtic at the time had McBride and Chalmers as their strikers, with McBride on fire in the first half of that 66-67 season, scoring 38 Goals in 28 games, before injury ended his season just before Christmas.
Without Wallace to step in for McBride, I doubt Celtic would have had such success in the second half of that season.
It was Wallace who scored both goals in their Scottish Cup Final win (v Aberdeen), and it was his two goals v Dukla Prague that took Celtic to Lisbon.
Wallace in his five years at the filth scored 140 Goals in 249 Games (233 Starts and 16 as a sub).

Ross Kerr, James Brown, Donny Chisholm, Andrew Caldwell, Neil Inglis, Colin Scott, Dave Bowman, David Hagen, Stephen Watson, Derek Rae.

Billy Kirkwood, Rodney Paterson, Jock Martin, Paul Patterson, Mark Fraser, David Nicholson, Robert Skillen, Stuart Ayton, John McGregor.

John Morrow, Neil Caldwell, Charlie Miller, Neil Murray, Derek Crawford, Steven Pressley, Levi Smith, Lee Robertson, Kevin Fotheringham.
Did Neil Inglis ever get a start for Rangers?

It might be the reserve player Billy McPhee.

Billy McPhee is the player at the back between Fergie and McKinnon. Billy Semple is the player at the front beside Alex Willoughby. McPhee was scouted for Rangers by Bobby Kinnear the brother of Rangers trainer Davie Kinnear. McPhee had a fallout with Willie Waddell because he chose to get married on a Monday during the season and Waddell said 'players should get married in the close season'. Billy McPhee left Ibrox the same day as Jim Baxter.

Billy McPhee is the player at the back between Fergie and McKinnon. Billy Semple is the player at the front beside Alex Willoughby. McPhee was scouted for Rangers by Bobby Kinnear the brother of Rangers trainer Davie Kinnear. McPhee had a fallout with Willie Waddell because he chose to get married on a Monday during the season and Waddell said 'players should get married in the close season'. Billy McPhee left Ibrox the same day as Jim Baxter.
Did McPhee play for East Fife at Ibrox on the last weekend of 1972-73?
Tims won at Easter Road to win the league, I have a vague memory of a McPhee in their team who had dark hair and my old man saying he had played for us.

Did McPhee play for East Fife at Ibrox on the last weekend of 1972-73?
Tims won at Easter Road to win the league, I have a vague memory of a McPhee in their team who had dark hair and my old man saying he had played for us.

Yes it was probably him, he had a long career with the Fifers after he left Ibrox and he did have raven black hair in those days. He was a boyhood East Fife fan but said in a newpaper article he still gets a big thrill when he visits Ibrox and some old codgers (like myself ) still remember him.

Left to right standing: unknown suited gent, Lawrie Smith, John Greig, Joe Craven, Davie Kinnear,Norrie Martin, Alex Ferguson, Willie Henderson, Billy McPhee,Davie White, Ronnie MacKinnon, Sandy Jardine, Alex Smith (?), Davie Provan, Willie Mathieson, Kai Johansen, Andy Penman, Erik Sorenson.

Kneeling: Willie Johnston, Dave Smith, Alex Willoughby, Billy Semple.

Left to right standing: unknown suited gent, Lawrie Smith, John Greig, Joe Craven, Davie Kinnear,Norrie Martin, Alex Ferguson, Willie Henderson, Billy McPhee,Davie White, Ronnie MacKinnon, Sandy Jardine, Alex Smith (?), Davie Provan, Willie Mathieson, Kai Johansen, Andy Penman, Erik Sorenson.

Kneeling: Willie Johnston, Dave Smith, Alex Willoughby, Billy Semple.

Yes WB it's definitely Alex Smith as you say in your post.

Back