Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

It was after this goal Willie was winding up the rattlers on his way back to his own half when Willie O’Neill called him a wee orange bastard and threatened to break his leg. Classy as usual from the scum.
I heard Willie Henderson say it was John Divers!
(Checked the team sheet for the game and O’Neil isn’t listed).

Billy Ritchie. Rangers FC 1955-1967.
The photograph was taken after Billy had sustained a severe ankle injury in a game against Hearts at Tynecastle on 26th October 1960.
Born in Newtongrange on 11th September 1936, Billy was the son of a policeman and at the age of 18 months he and his older brother George had moved with his parents to the West Lothian village of Addiewell.
Educated at West Calder High School, young Billy played football for his school in the morning and the local Addiewell Hearts in the afternoon.
On leaving school, the nearby Seafield Juveniles were the first to utilise his services. Originally a left -sided outfield player he reverted to playing in goal in an emergency and would never look back.
Billy then joined Bathgate Thistle and a path to a career in the senior game could hardly have been less predictable. Fellow goalkeeper John Neill was a colleague of Billy’s at Creamery Park, the home of the junior side, and also a provisional signing for the Light Blues.
Rangers wanted Neill for a Third Team fixture but Bathgate Thistle had an important Scottish Junior Cup-tie to play and Billy was asked to deputise, impressing the then Rangers manager, Bill Struth who promised to call on him again should the need arise.
That gentlemen’s agreement bore fruit on 12th August 1954 when Billy signed provisional forms for Rangers, by then under the stewardship of Scot Symon. The ‘keeper had been brought up a Hearts supporter, but even though competition was fierce for his signature - Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton wanted him - the 17 year old and his parents were true to their word and Billy became a Ranger.
Called up to the senior ranks in May 1955, Billy made his first team debut on 5th May 1956 against Third Lanark in a Charity Cup-tie at Ibrox.
The consistency and reliability of George Niven limited Billy’s appearances until season 1957/58 finally saw him established as first-choice goalkeeper with 43 appearances in all games.
Fate would intervene however in the shape of National Service - an Army posting to Cyprus denying him the chance to to build on the first full season. Seasons 1958/59 and 1959/60 saw him making only a handful of first team appearances.
The summer of 1960 saw the arrival of Jim Baxter from Raith Rovers as one of the all-time great Rangers sides came together.
Billy played in 18 consecutive games until fate again intervened when he suffered an ankle injury against Hearts that would result in an absence of 5 months with George Niven returning to the first team.
The business end of season 1960/61 saw Billy return as the League Championship was secured and Rangers became the first British Club to reach the final of a European tournament, losing to Fiorentina in the inaugural European Cup Winners Cup Final. Billy played in both legs and in two memorable semi-finals against a formidable Wolverhampton Wanderers side. Rangers had emerged 2-0 winners from a titanic clash at Ibrox on 29th March before drawing 1-1 in the return game in at Molineux three weeks later in a game played with heavy snow falling making for treacherous playing conditions.
A few minutes before the interval Alex Scott gave Rangers the lead but immediately Wolves attacked and Ron Flowers struck a shot from all of 30 yards which had “goal” written all over it. Somehow Billy brought off a save that those of a certain vintage still talk about till this day. It was a vital save at a vital time in the game and proved to be a turning point in the epic fixture.
Billy Ritchie was now firmly established as first-choice goalkeeper as his friend and rival George Niven moved across the city to Firhill.
His final honour with Rangers came on 27th April 1966 when Celtic were defeated 1-0 in the Scottish Cup Final replay. Billy was immense in goal in the closing stages of the game as Rangers defended their one goal lead.
Billy made his final appearance for Rangers in a League Cup semi-final on 19th October 1966.
He then followed in the footsteps of George Niven by joining Partick Thistle in 1967.
During his stay at at Ibrox, Billy won two League Championship medals, three League Cup medals and four Scottish Cup medals.
William Ritchie passed away on 11th March 2016.

The photograph was taken after Billy had sustained a severe ankle injury in a game against Hearts at Tynecastle on 26th October 1960.
Born in Newtongrange on 11th September 1936, Billy was the son of a policeman and at the age of 18 months he and his older brother George had moved with his parents to the West Lothian village of Addiewell.
Educated at West Calder High School, young Billy played football for his school in the morning and the local Addiewell Hearts in the afternoon.
On leaving school, the nearby Seafield Juveniles were the first to utilise his services. Originally a left -sided outfield player he reverted to playing in goal in an emergency and would never look back.
Billy then joined Bathgate Thistle and a path to a career in the senior game could hardly have been less predictable. Fellow goalkeeper John Neill was a colleague of Billy’s at Creamery Park, the home of the junior side, and also a provisional signing for the Light Blues.
Rangers wanted Neill for a Third Team fixture but Bathgate Thistle had an important Scottish Junior Cup-tie to play and Billy was asked to deputise, impressing the then Rangers manager, Bill Struth who promised to call on him again should the need arise.
That gentlemen’s agreement bore fruit on 12th August 1954 when Billy signed provisional forms for Rangers, by then under the stewardship of Scot Symon. The ‘keeper had been brought up a Hearts supporter, but even though competition was fierce for his signature - Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton wanted him - the 17 year old and his parents were true to their word and Billy became a Ranger.
Called up to the senior ranks in May 1955, Billy made his first team debut on 5th May 1956 against Third Lanark in a Charity Cup-tie at Ibrox.
The consistency and reliability of George Niven limited Billy’s appearances until season 1957/58 finally saw him established as first-choice goalkeeper with 43 appearances in all games.
Fate would intervene however in the shape of National Service - an Army posting to Cyprus denying him the chance to to build on the first full season. Seasons 1958/59 and 1959/60 saw him making only a handful of first team appearances.
The summer of 1960 saw the arrival of Jim Baxter from Raith Rovers as one of the all-time great Rangers sides came together.
Billy played in 18 consecutive games until fate again intervened when he suffered an ankle injury against Hearts that would result in an absence of 5 months with George Niven returning to the first team.
The business end of season 1960/61 saw Billy return as the League Championship was secured and Rangers became the first British Club to reach the final of a European tournament, losing to Fiorentina in the inaugural European Cup Winners Cup Final. Billy played in both legs and in two memorable semi-finals against a formidable Wolverhampton Wanderers side. Rangers had emerged 2-0 winners from a titanic clash at Ibrox on 29th March before drawing 1-1 in the return game in at Molineux three weeks later in a game played with heavy snow falling making for treacherous playing conditions.
A few minutes before the interval Alex Scott gave Rangers the lead but immediately Wolves attacked and Ron Flowers struck a shot from all of 30 yards which had “goal” written all over it. Somehow Billy brought off a save that those of a certain vintage still talk about till this day. It was a vital save at a vital time in the game and proved to be a turning point in the epic fixture.
Billy Ritchie was now firmly established as first-choice goalkeeper as his friend and rival George Niven moved across the city to Firhill.
His final honour with Rangers came on 27th April 1966 when Celtic were defeated 1-0 in the Scottish Cup Final replay. Billy was immense in goal in the closing stages of the game as Rangers defended their one goal lead.
Billy made his final appearance for Rangers in a League Cup semi-final on 19th October 1966.
He then followed in the footsteps of George Niven by joining Partick Thistle in 1967.
During his stay at at Ibrox, Billy won two League Championship medals, three League Cup medals and four Scottish Cup medals.

Tremendous post @Brian Laudrup

Nice article about Billy Ritchie @Brian Laudrup. Billy Ritchie was the first Rangers goalkeeper I can remember seeing playing for us. Your statement about his save at Molineux certainly strikes a chord with me as my Dad was at that game and I remember him saying in his latter years that was one of the best saves he had seen from a Rangers keeper.

Nice article about Billy Ritchie @Brian Laudrup. Billy Ritchie was the first Rangers goalkeeper I can remember seeing playing for us. Your statement about his save at Molineux certainly strikes a chord with me as my Dad was at that game and I remember him saying in his latter years that was one of the best saves he had seen from a Rangers keeper.

So true @The Meik's Crombie . The Billy Ritchie save in that game rightly became a part of Rangers folklore for our generation.

FMJeknXWUAE8KY1

If it's the game I think it is (29/12/79) the yahoos equalised a minute later. (Lennox)

I'm pretty sure Lennox scored the yahoos' first OF goal of the same decade. (SC Feb/Mar 1970)
Unfortunately I saw Lennox score in both games.

The 1970 SC was a sore one - a curious decision by Tiny Wharton to send off Doddie and allow Brogan to remain.

If it's the game I think it is (29/12/79) the yahoos equalised a minute later. (Lennox)

I'm pretty sure Lennox scored the yahoos' first OF goal of the same decade. (SC Feb/Mar 1970)
If it is that game I was in the Copland , never saw Lennox score as I was scrambling about looking for a guys glasses which I had knocked flying when we scored. As a wearer myself I was mortified.:(

Back