Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Three of our Greatest Ever
3856724.jpg

Alan Morton, Bill Struth and Davie Meiklejohn

I wonder what the reason for that photograph to be taken. Thankfully it was. Davie Meiklejohn looks relatively young so I assume that was in the days of Tommy Muirhead being our Captain. Fantastic photograph.
I don't know why this particular shot was taken, but Davie Meiklejohn never looked young to me.
I was surprised to find that Alan Morton was 27 years old when Bill Struth signed him.
Alan Morton collected 8 League titles, 3 Scottish Cups, played 342 Games for Rangers,
won 23 Scotland Caps (8 v England) whilst in his 30's!

I don't know why this particular shot was taken, but Davie Meiklejohn never looked young to me.
I was surprised to find that Alan Morton was 27 years old when Bill Struth signed him.
Alan Morton collected 8 League titles, 3 Scottish Cups, played 342 Games for Rangers,
won 23 Scotland Caps (8 v England) whilst in his 30's!
Alan Morton’s age surprised me too when I found out : a bit like Jock Shaw signing for us when he was 26-27.

I don’t know if it could be all attributed to Bill Struth’s training regime but I found it interesting to see what ages the players, who won the 1928 Cup Final, retired. The information was gleaned from Wiki (so might not be 100% accurate). I have recorded the players names, retirement age and their final professional club.

Tom Hamilton 29 (Falkirk)
Dougie Gray 42 (Rangers)
Bob Hamilton 35 (Morton)
Davie Meiklejohn 35-36 (Rangers)
Jock Buchanan 34 (East Stirling)
Tom ‘Tully’ Craig 38 (Rangers)
Sandy Archibald 38-39 (Raith Rovers)
Andy Cunningham 40 (Newcastle)
Jimmy Fleming 35-36 (Ayr)
Bob McPhail 34-35 (Rangers)
Alan Morton 40 (Rangers)

Tommy Muirhead who was injured at the time of the Final retired at 33.

Tiger was 41 when he retired. I am sure there must have been more players who played well into their 30’s.

Back