East Lothian journalist 'in tears' after racial abuse at Rangers game

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a modern day phenomenon where a lot of people can't bring themselves to oppose racism because they have to be seen to be Anti-Woke at all times.

Not being able to separate blatant racism from OTT PC gone mad Woke stuff is baffling.

Sure some people thought Marcus Rashford's campaign for School Meals for all kids was something to do with BLM ffs...which meant they couldn't support him.
There's another modern day phenomenon that people would ignore a multi-millionaire asking for their taxes to be raised in order to fund a highly inefficient programme that led to him getting decorated by the Queen and laughing all the way to the bank as he has a tax avoidance scheme in place.

This whole situation is simply a mirror for modern Scotland to stare into and see what they want to.

If that happened to him it’s a disgrace.

Although I still think there’s racial double standards in what he says. If a white person said they support a football team because of the amount of white players in the team, that would be called racist.

‘Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain Tavernier is black as is Bassey, Balogun, Aribo, Morelos, Sakala, Bacuna and Kamara. So for me I identify with them.’

Just imagine that the other way around ‘in the past there weren’t many white players in the team, but now there are white players, I identify with them and support that club.’

He's praising our diversity. He could have supported the team for years but is happy we now have more players he relates too.

This guy is a Man U fan, go back in his videos and you can see his room is draped in Man U memorabilia, no Rangers.

He claims he only goes to ‘family friendly games’ yet his only Rangers game vlog is his pal taking him to an away day, not very family friendly.

Or when he’s going to Celtic games, it’s fine for him to refer to a white person as ‘my little fairskin brother’, why does he feel the need to characterise someone by their race? Is that any different than someone characterising him by his race?

You’ll need to point out those other Rangers fans who go to Celtic games and show the joy he does.

Go watch any of his videos, if you can understand what he’s saying for more than a few sentences, then well done. Getting asked if he’s speaking English, if it happened, is much more likely because he’s got a broad east coast accent and mumbles every sentence. He’s got videos there where he makes Si Ferry look well spoken.

Then you’ve just got to wonder why a sports journalist, who vlogs even junior games, didn’t record a single bit of it. I wonder why a struggling YouTuber, who even a year ago was trying to bring race into his channel, would feel the need to draw attention to himself?
This will go down well with a lot of posters who are just dying to label half of FF as racist.

There is always going to be some form of racism it's sad but it wont stop, what fcuks me off is when people use the I'm not getting this because I'm ****** you can fill in the blanks with the usual things that we all have experienced in some form or another

Although I still think there’s racial double standards in what he says. If a white person said they support a football team because of the amount of white players in the team, that would be called racist.

‘Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain Tavernier is black as is Bassey, Balogun, Aribo, Morelos, Sakala, Bacuna and Kamara. So for me I identify with them.’

Just imagine that the other way around ‘in the past there weren’t many white players in the team, but now there are white players, I identify with them and support that club.’
Bit of a shit point making it about ‘whiteness’. A comparison would be if you or I moved to another country and started to follow a club there because they had a lot of Scottish players, which no-one would bat an eyelid at.

Bit of a shit point making it about ‘whiteness’. A comparison would be if you or I moved to another country and started to follow a club there because they had a lot of Scottish players, which no-one would bat an eyelid at.

Plus there are regular threads about soft spots for Chelsea/Arsenal/Everton/Liverpool etc cos of "protestant" links or whatever.

Pretty sure someone on the Elidh Barbour post the other day referred to her as having "jungle fever" when the news broke she was with Marvin Bartley.
The most ironic I heard was at an away game (Live I think) when someone shouted to Goldson to mark that "monkey b'tard, Menga"

That’s not the comparison he’s made though. He said it’s specifically because of race. Even you saying it’s shit ‘making it about whiteness’ shows the point, I never made it about being white, he brought race into it, yet there’s a problem with me mentioning whites.

Do the pictures of him in a Rangers shirt not matter?

Was Alfie not his burd cause he was knocking around?
The Alfie one was made to seem like it was his wife spying on him.
The Sunday Mail seemed to know everything that was happening and it looked highly suspicious.
No other newspaper touched it and that was very telling.

I’m not saying this guy did not get abuse but the resultant story looks highly manufactured.

He's praising our diversity. He could have supported the team for years but is happy we now have more players he relates too.

He never said that though, he specifically said he relates with the team because they are black, as a justification for supporting us. He literally says it’s why he likes Rangers.

I think we can all imagine how the question went ‘why do you support Rangers with their history of racism?’ No one’s just coming out with that kindle of statement out of the blue.

It doesn't sound to me like typical "abuse" as such, but it's still fucking cretinous racist behaviour and it shames our support. Sadly I don't think there's an awful lot Rangers or the WRC will be able to do about it, even if they do get in touch with the guy. Hard to stop arseholes being arseholes.
For the record I am in no way defending the tits in the WRC.

But I suspect ignorance is probably the biggest factor in what happened

“Aw look that guys black, are you Fashion Sakala” etc thinking it’s a laugh and not realising that it’s actually quite racist. Then of course you get the guy and his mates singing the Sakala song probably thinking it’s a laugh but not realising how embarrassing it is for the guy in question.

As I said, I’ve seen it before on boys holidays most notably the African chaps that sell the dodgy sunglasses at the beach or in the streets etc, “he looks like (insert player)” and before you know it, group of guys singing “there’s only 2 (insert player)”.

Also seen a couple of times at our games in the past albeit it’s been a fair few years. One I recall only a handful of boys mind you getting off a bus in the bus park and singing there’s only two Marvin Andrews at a steward. The steward laughed tbf and didn’t seem to take offence at it.

On the flip side, I’ve also seen groups of folk singing there’s only 2 (insert white player name at someone too and you wouldn’t think it was racist.

I’d say in this case it sounded like it was ignorant and probably drunken arseholes in the WRC that probably need some education.

Another racial claim being made against our fans

A freelance sport producer from East Lothian says he was racially abused on two occasions over the space of a few hours after attending a Rangers football game.

Bobby Nwanze, 32, said that he was forced to leave a Rangers Scottish Cup match vs Stirling Albion at half time on Friday January 21, after he faced abuse from a fellow supporter in the stands.

READ MORE - Hearts manager Robbie Neilson targeted by 'seething football fan' during TV interview

To make matters worse, Bobby was subjected to a further bout of abuse when visiting a Rangers themed bar close to the stadium.

Speaking to Edinburgh Live, Bobby said that he was left in tears in the car when returning from Glasgow, and that the incident had put him off from returning to Ibrox but that he would do so, as he did not want to empower racists.

On the abuse he received, he said: “Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain Tavernier is black as is Bassey, Balogun, Aribo, Morelos, Sakala, Bacuna and Kamara. So for me I identify with them.

“To be honest, I am often apprehensive about going to live games due to the elements of racism that can occur there. But my friend Abie, John and I decided to go through for the Scottish Cup tie as we thought it would be a nice family friendly atmosphere with it being the fourth round of the cup.

“Around 25 minutes into the game, I’m doing my usual and talking football with fans around me, having a good time. But then I see an older man waving his arms at me, he looks at me and says ‘I can’t understand a word you are saying, are you even speaking English?’

“I turned to my friends and asked if he had just said what I thought he had. After that I just felt sick and my mood completely dropped. My friends said to try to ignore him but I could not.

“So we left to go to a Rangers bar, I think it was called the Wee Rangers, and when we walked in it was as if everyone had stopped to stare at me walking to the bar - it was weird. We ordered some drinks and just took ourselves to a quiet corner to watch the rest of the game. That is when a middle aged man approached me.

“This gentleman would not leave me alone. He said ‘You are black, what does Fashion Sakala mean?’ My friend asked what he said and when I repeated it they were absolutely astounded. The man proceeded to keep calling me Fashion Sakala even though I asked him to leave me alone to watch the game.

“My friends then tried their best to get them to leave me alone but then the man turned with their group of 20-30 mates and started singing the Fashion Sakala song at me. Now I do not mind banter but my race is not a joke for other people’s amusement. This was being derogative.

“The guy then sat next to me again and started to touch my arms whilst saying, ‘You’re a big boy eh, you're always big.’ He continued to bother me before I was stern and said to leave me alone. It was then that the man said I shouldn’t be there.

His mates that were with him should have called it out there and then, and got a steward to boot the guy out too - there's no place for this abuse any more. t

Not sure why he's being painted as a big Rangers fan, when the videos above quite clearly show he's not. Almost as if there's an agenda against Rangers at play here. Who'd have thunk it. And just like the last incident like this, that quickly disappeared once it was debunked, folk are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Intentionally divisive reporting, with no evidence whatsoever, and the assumption is once again that Rangers fans are all knuckle dragging racists. All evidence of our fans general behaviour has been on the absolute contrary. I've heard plenty of things shouted or sung at Ibrox, racism has never been one of them, and it's even less imagineable now, with a team that at times is predominantly black.

If your position is to start with the idea that Rangers fans are guilty, and then you work your way back to prove it, then you're part of a very different problem we have at the club. Anyone on here that genuinely believes there's a problem with racism at Ibrox, has quite clearly never been to the place.

Not saying didn’t happen but two place in the one day. If it did then disgraceful.
living in Oz get sarcastic remarks can’t under stand you . If it’s in a shop I just say well if you listen it would help. If it’s smart arses say feck off. Then oh no need to be like that . answer well you under stood that dick.

If this is true then I hope those responsible are identified and dealt with.

I am just struggling to understand why this was not reported to a steward or police in the stadium. And I'm sure the establishment he visited will have video footage of the incidents, as well as him reporting this to staff or security. Yet he sees this as something to report in the press. Hmmmmm.

Not saying didn’t happen but two place in the one day. If it did then disgraceful.
living in Oz get sarcastic remarks can’t under stand you . If it’s in a shop I just say well if you listen it would help. If it’s smart arses say feck off. Then oh no need to be like that . answer well you under stood that dick.
What do you mean mate ?

Except he said he liked Rangers because if the diversity whereas in your reverse example you missed that point buddy. If you insert diversity into your quote does it change the emphasis for you? Genuine question meant in good spirit

Sadly, the article comes as no surprise to me. We, like every other club in Scotland, have an issue with racism *because* Scotland has an issue with racism.

Except he said he liked Rangers because if the diversity whereas in your reverse example you missed that point buddy. If you insert diversity into your quote does it change the emphasis for you? Genuine question meant in good spirit

I don't think it does. First, he doesn’t say he likes Rangers because of diversity. He only mentions diversity when saying that in the past Rangers weren’t diverse(which is bullshit, show me a more diverse team in Scotland over his lifetime, we used to get criticised for the amount of foreign players) . That’s a dig at the club, not a compliment.

I’ll change it though using his exact words and only replace the race and the players:

‘Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain McGregor is white as is Jack, Barisic, Kent, Helander, Wright, and Lundstrum. So for me I identify with them’

A white person would be torn apart for that, I have absolutely no doubt about that.

I don't think it does. First, he doesn’t say he likes Rangers because of diversity. He only mentions diversity when saying that in the past Rangers weren’t diverse(which is bullshit, show me a more diverse team in Scotland over his lifetime, we used to get criticised for the amount of foreign players) . That’s a dig at the club, not a compliment.

I’ll change it though using his exact words and only replace the race and the players:

‘Why I like Rangers is that the team is relatable to me. In the past the squad was not overly diverse but when you look at the team now that has completely changed. The captain McGregor is white as is Jack, Barisic, Kent, Helander, Wright, and Lundstrum. So for me I identify with them’

A white person would be torn apart for that, I have absolutely no doubt about that.
But isn't the issue of racism partly because black is a minority and has traditionally been treated unfairly therefore to see greater diversity and progression of the black community (so long as it's on merit) is to be celebrated? If it's white person in a white community celebrating more whiteness and therefore more exclusion that sounds iffy to me. A bit like if a black guy in a predominantly black country wanted more blackness in the team.

He’s speaking as a black man in a predominantly white country though.

The most depressing thing is the small number of people in this thread that have either called him a liar, attempted to say it's not racism or tried to turn it into a media witch-hunt.

This is why racism still exists.

What did you say when this happened to Kamara?

Racism is wrong, its abhorrent and every decent individual knows that. If said racist behaviour was used by a Rangers supporter in Ibrox then it is something the club and its supporters have committed themselves to dealing with.

What more can Rangers do? The Everyone Anyone initiative was a groundbreaking move. The club and the Rangers supporters have enmasse backed our black players and their stance of ridding the game of racism.

I don't know what happened on Friday but surely he could have first contacted Rangers and given them the opportunity to investigate it and deal effectively with the matter.

Never once in over 60 years of attending Ibrox have I been subjected to any racist behaviour from another Rangers fan.

Back in the early 1950s, when I first went to Ibrox as a child, Rangers were not racially relatable to me.

They didn't have to be. From that first moment of seeing the team run out of the tunnel to incredible noise from the supporters I fell in love with the club.

The friends I attended Ibrox with would never have tolerated anyone having a go at me over my race if it were ever to have occurred, which it never did.

Hitch hiking to games I would often get a lift from a group of fellow Rangers fans. Never once was any reference made to my colour.

Same in the Rangers themed pubs. Total acceptance. We were all Ranger's, that is all that mattered.

Glasgow was one very very hard and tough city back then as anyone of my generation will only be too well aware of but Ibrox was my haven and still is.

The self same people who today are vilifying Rangers are supporters of other clubs ( in this case mainly Celtic) from whom I was subjected to horrific racial abuse and even physical violence.

It sickens me to see them trying to use alleged racism to attack the club and its magnificent support.

Nothing but gut wrenching hypocrisy from the lot of them.

Last edited:
The most depressing thing is the small number of people in this thread that have either called him a liar, attempted to say it's not racism or tried to turn it into a media witch-hunt.

Exactly, it's depressing.

It happens with our fans, it happens with all clubs - what I thought separated our club from the others was that we took our problems head on and didn't try and deflect or diminish the severity of something important like this.

I remember earlier in the year when the American Journalist heard racial abuse at a Celtic game, some of the replies to that were very similar to what we are seeing here.

But isn't the issue of racism partly because black is a minority and has traditionally been treated unfairly therefore to see greater diversity and progression of the black community (so long as it's on merit) is to be celebrated? If it's white person is a white community celebrating more whiteness and therefore more exclusion that sounds iffy to me. A bit like if a black guy in a predominantly black country wanted more blackness in the team.

We’re not living in the 80’s mate, there’s barely a top flight football club or even European national team non-whites aren’t well represented, a lot are actually over represented by population size.

Only 40% of players in the EPL are English, a significant amount of them will be non-white English. If you were a white person in London or Birmingham(both minority white British) and said you were going to support a team because of the amount of white British people in the team, would that be viewed as just being attracted to your own group, since they are a minority in that community and a minority at the top level of the game?

Beat me to it.

You do realise the guy has said he knows it was only 2 people and isn't reflective of the whole rangers support?
Which has led to people saying we have a racist problem in our support on this thread, which is absolute nonsence.

Walter's came to Rangers in the 80's long before political correctness became a thing and was treated superbly by our support. In fact I was at a night in Paisley, which was full of bears, mostly from the schemes who treated the guy like a king. The same types who regularly get called out on these threads as some kind of low life.

A guy who has no history with us prior to October last year (going by his social media accounts) and apparently only relates to us due to our diverse range of players - suffers racial abuse in the ground, then a pub - his mates are only aware of it as he told them, they never heard it first hand.

He then runs to the DR with his story. The very same paper that Heart and Hand destroyed by outing their racist and bigotted journalists.

Coincidence much?

CynicalLoyalRSC.

The most depressing thing about these types of threads are the idiot posters who try to suggest it's not racist, or that it even happened etc.

The moronic element of our support need eradicated from the club.

Wilso10 just called me abusive names outside of this thread. I have no evidence for this, have no witness accounts, don’t actually know the person I’m making a complaint about and only think it might have been on FF, and by the time I report it to the press I’ll say it was 30-40 people on FF singing abusive things to me.

I’m sure you would just accept that as fact.

It’s not a criminal court, he’s highlighting a problem that needs weeded out at clubs up and down the UK. Like I say, it could be made up bullshit, but until proved otherwise then Rangers and the support should react in a manner that’s befitting of our club.
He has made allegations of criminal offences. A criminal court is where this should be resolved
It is up to the accuser to prove guilt.
The accused does not have to prove his innocence.

Innocent until proved guilty.
Unless of course you are a Rangers supporter.

And Marvin Andrews.

Every big club with a massive support will have several throbbers in their support and we are no exception.
Your right about Marvin Andrew's, I was at an Erskine hospital charity night a couple of years back with him, Alex Rae and big DJ. No problems at all, although he did go on about god quite a bit. Only thing the big fella got wrong was not saying for god and Ulster ;)

You do realise the guy has said he knows it was only 2 people and isn't reflective of the whole rangers support?

Then he is a liar. In his original tweet he made it clear it was just 2 individuals. In his interview that appeared in the Daily Record and Edinburgh Live that figure had grown to 20-30 being racist singing the Fashion song at him.

‘My friends then tried their best to get them to leave me alone but then the man turned with their group of 20-30 mates and started singing the Fashion Sakala song at me. Now I do not mind banter but my race is not a joke for other people’s amusement. This was being derogative.’

A guy who has no history with us prior to October last year (going by his social media accounts) and apparently only relates to us due to our diverse range of players - suffers racial abuse in the ground, then a pub - his mates are only aware of it as he told them, they never heard it first hand.

He then runs to the DR with his story. The very same paper that Heart and Hand destroyed by outing their racist and bigotted journalists.

Coincidence much?

CynicalLoyalRSC.
Exactly, open your eyes people. Look at his reasons for being drawn to Rangers, his own words. That’s not cynical mate it’s common sense now.

Rangers are not a racist club
Rangers supporters are not racist (vast , vast majority)
Scotland in not a racist country (again vast, vast majority)

However you get racist from every ethic group in the world.

Racism comes in all colours , just ask Kris Donald mum.

This person may or may not have been a victim of a racist attack (verbally). If he was then these individuals need to be dealt with by both the police and Rangers.

If he was not then they should be dealt with by the authorities.

Too many on here willing to jump in and believe his story without known all the facts. In fact some on here are desperate for it to be true.
They don't really give a %^*& about him, they just want to look good themselves, looking for a wee pat on the back.

As with all these things , the ones that shout the loudest are the ones you really need to watch.

Also there is a lot of snobbery on here about where a section of Rangers fans come from. Strange that

Wilso10 just called me abusive names outside of this thread. I have no evidence for this, have no witness accounts, don’t actually know the person I’m making a complaint about and only think it might have been on FF, and by the time I report it to the press I’ll say it was 30-40 people on FF singing abusive things to me.

The same people accepting these allegations as fact would have been apoplectic with rage at the "Sweet Caroline " video.

This place is honestly a disgrace and a complete embarrassment.

Three guesses what colour of skin can of aw have that are asking what proof there is. You have no idea what life can still he like for people of colour and how unwelcoming the football environment can be.
Maybe we just listen to people of colour and learn about their experiences. Maybe that might just help.

Have a word with yourselves.

Nice to see so many sound folk on here calling this out for what it is.

This collective voice needs to be louder in our support.

Everyone anyone, let’s actually mean it and live it.

You really are the lowest of the low.

A young girl is sexually abused by a man, but because there was no other witnesses - we should call her a liar and assume it didn't happen?

In fact - lets discredit all abuse and only accept it if a 3rd party reports it, rather than the person who was abused.

Let's just say for a second, this did happen. Should he just be silenced and written off as a liar because a witness didn't come forward to the police? Anyone who has been racially abused deserves the right to come forward and have it investigated without being called a liar. Who's to say that now this has become public knowledge people who were in the stadium or bar do now come forward to verify his claims - much like what has happened with many of the scum like Harvey Weinstein, which never would have happened if someone didn't come forward.

This is how investigations work - someone reports it, people are asked to come forward if they have information, an outcome is decided.

Maybe some of us 'palefaces' need to try living in a different colour skin for a while, see how it changes our often too comfortable worldview on race. I recall a documentary from years back when a reporter did exactly that and the results were shocking, the immediate shift in attitudes of people around him when travelling on public transport for example. Racism needs calling out at every opportunity.

Paleface ? Are you a red Indian ?

This place is honestly a disgrace and a complete embarrassment.

Three guesses what colour of skin can of aw have that are asking what proof there is. You have no idea what life can still he like for people of colour and how unwelcoming the football environment can be.
Maybe we just listen to people of colour and learn about their experiences. Maybe that might just help.

Have a word with yourselves.

Nice to see so many sound folk on here calling this out for what it is.

This collective voice needs to be louder in our support.

Everyone anyone, let’s actually mean it and live it.
Brilliant post. Looks bad on the club and the fans, 'where's the evidence?', Impacts an improtant player 'Stand with Glen kamara'.

People need to get a grip. As a support we should do our best to self-police this type of thing. Call it out at every single opportunity. Too often in the history of our brilliant fan base the many have been let down by the few. The whatabouterry in regards to what happens at other clubs and other fan bases doesnt bother me at all. I care not for them. I want our fans to be the best version of themselves.

Everyone Anyone or find another team/sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back