Balogun being assessed

On current form I’m more concerned about the injury reintroducing Borna at left back. He looked well out of sorts in that first half. Slight improvement in second but not what you’d expect from a Croatian International
They targeted him in the second half as he is weak defending ,he really has went off the boil.

To go through a season starting with 2 CB's and only having 3 recognised players in that position is a bit crazy no?

His body language didn't look great at all.

Soo bloody typical of our luck just as it looked squad was near enough at full strength.

To go through a season starting with 2 CB's and only having 3 recognised players in that position is a bit crazy no?
Yip letting Edmundson and Katic go and signing Simpson gets crazier by the day. Should have been addressed in the latest window. And I don't mean giving Hearts the money and a sell on fee for Soutter.

There must be centre backs out there we could have taken on a short term contract. Is that not how we got Balogun initially ?

I got a text at the game from a mate listening to the radio and apparently they said it was his hamstring.

Hope that's not the case.

They’ll not know more than Gio, he was holding his hammy area.

Could be dead leg could be serious

Yip letting Edmundson and Katic go and signing Simpson gets crazier by the day. Should have been addressed in the latest window. And I don't mean giving Hearts the money and a sell on fee for Soutter.

There must be centre backs out there we could have taken on a short term contract. Is that not how we got Balogun initially ?

Agree with Edmundson, but not Katic, he wouldt have got enough game time to be ready after the injury. Though if we had a reserve league we could have kept him

Why doesn’t sands play at CB if we have no one else? Can he not play there? Barisic is well off it - shadow of his former self.

If he’s out I’d start King at the weekend to get him up to speed and then let Goldson talk him through the next few games if required. Keep Bassey at left back as Borna seems to be void of any confidence again

Big blow if he is out

Bassey at cb is an accident waiting to happen

To be fair to Bassey I sometimes think he gets distracted at CB wondering WTF is Barasic going to do next at LB to make life difficult for himself and us.

I got a text at the game from a mate listening to the radio and apparently they said it was his hamstring.

Hope that's not the case.
I saw a picture of him just after it. He was holding his leg just above his ankle.

Hopefully, not hamstring.

Correct. Bassey isn’t really the problem although Balogun is the better CH. Barisic still looks very shaken.
Forgot about him.
Any more a risk than Bassey?
I’d say “no” before tonight.
Tonight Bassey did enough to suggest he’s worth another chance.
Like the big guys enthusiasm. However Bassey at CH is an accident waiting to happen.
A CH being poor in the air will always allow opposition chances.
The fact that we have a keeper who is exceptionaly poor at crosses exacerbates the issue

Wouldn't be against giving Sands a go at CB if it meant not pursuing with Barisic

They’ll not know more than Gio, he was holding his hammy area.

Could be dead leg could be serious
if it were a dead leg I would Imagine that would be pretty quickly worked out but maybe not mate . It’s not good that GvB appears to be buying time on this one . Yeah Fil is close but probably won’t be able to play intensive fixtures for a while so I’d say our options are going to be him able to play a minor game time this month maybe then contribute from March . That leaves us with Bassey , Sands , Simpson and King as far as I know . Or can we do something with Tavernier and use Zukowski at right back even ?

Last edited:
Need both Helander and Balogun fit for the run in.
Soutter was never going to work coming in half way through a season, as good as he’s been playing he’s used to a back 3 for hertz and Scotland. Would have taken him time to adjust.
Fingers crossed Helander comes back firing on all cylinders.

I was of the opinion that we didn't need Souttar this window because we had Balogun and Helander just about back fit. I was wrong. I knew Balogun would pick up injuries again, but I didn't think it'd happen immediately after coming back and I thought we'd have had Helander back by then and could manage them both. Hopefully it's not serious and he has over a week to heal before the important games start again, but we have no luck with injuries so I'm not confident.

Helander may be back in with a chance of game time at the weekend. See how he gets on. Sands is also worthwhile giving a chance at centre back.

I wish people would stop going on about Souttar though. It would have been great to get him in this window but it just wasn't a fair deal for us. In fact, Hearts were ripping the pish. If it had been the £500k I still think that is too much but the sell on fee was just stupid and as mentioned, there is no definite they would have accepted the £500k either.

We should be fine to cope with the next few games and hopefully Balogun isn't too serious and Helander is actually on his way back this time.
We’ve gambled a bit by not getting Souttar, possibly thinking that Balogun & Helander were back. If it was for the sake of £200k or so we should have paid it IMO - there’s so much at stake.

The sell on fee is an interesting one - time will tell, but Souttar is going to have to improve significantly if he’s going to move on from us for big money.

Barisic has it in him to be a great left back. I really don't understand his episodes of sudden lack of confidence, or is it lack of interest ?

Back