Balogun being assessed

I am all for giving the young ones a go if not what is the sense of them being there, now would be an ideal time as Goldson would guide him though it Saturday would be a good chance for King
If he doesn’t fancy Sands as a CB then King or McClelland should start.
There seems to be a pathway under Gio, let’s start blooding more of the youths to truly assess their potential rather than against their own age group and junior cloggers in the lowland league

The shape went when Balogun went off. Bassey was caught sleeping at a deliver into the box that Nisbet got on the end of and Barišić brought a bit of negativity - turns back too often and slows it right down.

I don’t know how many times he allows balls into the box either and I’m sure he was getting an earful from McGregor right at the death?

Balogun is far too injury prone. His contract is up in the summer and he needs moved on.

Helander and Balogun have had their injury issues. katić and Simpson aren’t good enough and I’d say Goldson is away.

Leaves us with Souttar and Helander - two players that have missed a lot of football.
To be honest we should have brought Katic back he would have done a job for us.

If he doesn’t fancy Sands as a CB then King or McClelland should start.
There seems to be a pathway under Gio, let’s start blooding more of the youths to truly assess their potential rather than against their own age group and junior cloggers in the lowland league
Could not agree more time to find out how good young ones really are

Look far more solid at the back when he is playing. If he's out for a while I'd keep Bassey at LB and play Sands or King at CB.

the guy thats injured the now

wish we have stayed well away from him if im being honest
That argument can be understood considering the significant injuries he’s had a few years ago. But this year, he has played the 90 minutes 22 times for hearts (including Wednesday night just there), and once for Scotland this season. He played another 45 mins in one hearts game and missed 4 I think, not sure if they were all missed bc of injury, or suspension, or other. His recent injury record is therefore better than balogun or helander’s.

Even if he is somewhat injury prone, the club have signed him on a pre contract so they see a future in him. We have bassey playing there out of position, so, in my opinion, we should’ve paid the extra 100-200k to get souttar in for much needed extra cover or potentially to start, when balogun and helander are not the most reliable. It also gives souttar a head start for next year - As we stand now, he’s got every chance of being a starting CB for us next year.

Last edited:
Bassey has done better than expected at CB but he really can’t header the ball or even read when to jump for it. Sadly that is a prerequisite in Scotland ( and most leagues to be fair but more so here)

Bassey has done better than expected at CB but he really can’t header the ball or even read when to jump for it. Sadly that is a prerequisite in Scotland ( and most leagues to be fair but more so here)

I think the issue is a combo of bassey at cb is concentrating on being a cb as it’s new ish too him so doesn’t support the lb as well as an experienced cb (fil or Leon)

That doesn’t help when the lb is low on confidence and is adapting to a new way of playing

I do think if Leon was cb we’d see a diff borna, maybe not tiptop but a better version

Get the boy king in now and get the other "defenders" to up their game and help him at the back, he will grow into it I'm sure.

We know we can rely on Goldson for this but I'm looking at Tav and Bassey to do their jobs right on the flanks of that defence in the rare occasions when opposition teams are coming at us and we'll be fine.

His heading ain't the best....I actually just put it down to him being such a big lump of a guy that he doesn't have the best of leaps on him

I think the issue is a combo of bassey at cb is concentrating on being a cb as it’s new ish too him so doesn’t support the lb as well as an experienced cb (fil or Leon)

That doesn’t help when the lb is low on confidence and is adapting to a new way of playing

I do think if Leon was cb we’d see a diff borna, maybe not tiptop but a better version
I think the biggest issue with Bassey at CB is that it means we have no option but to play the current version of Borna at LB.

Balogun simply cannot play 2 games in a row he and our previous manager mentioned it in press conferences he needs to be managed to protect himself from getting injured.

Wednesday was again absolute proof of that.

Would be absolute crazy to give him a new deal and I’m somebody who likes him.

I was saying to mates after Sunday as well if we can keep Jack and Balogun fit we will be alright and need a bit of luck but f*ck me the 2 of them are out, can’t blame Jack though luck his ankle wasn’t broken with that tackle.

Look far more solid at the back when he is playing. If he's out for a while I'd keep Bassey at LB and play Sands or King at CB.
We have to go down this route for me barasic is shot to bits he should be no where near the team were also another man down when bassey is put in at cb leave him at left back and king in the middle.

The fact that no good news came out yesterday tells you that he’s probably out for a while again.

I do honestly think we need to consider a short term option, there’s a fair number of decent free agents out there and we simply cannot continue with Bassey as it means we need to play the first season version of Barisic, and Helander won’t last the full season.

If Balogun is out for a period of time and Helander not ready to come back in then we have an issue. Feels the wrong time to bring King in given every game now is going to a pressure match with little leeway to drop points, not fair on the lad to put him straight into that environment. Feels like it will be back to Bassey as CB and Barisic at LB.

His heading ain't the best....I actually just put it down to him being such a big lump of a guy that he doesn't have the best of leaps on him
Have you seen the size of NBA players?
There’s no excuse for not being able to slide a piece of paper under his feet when he jumps

The average NBA player weighs just shy of 16 stone and can leap like a Salmon

The fact that no good news came out yesterday tells you that he’s probably out for a while again.

I do honestly think we need to consider a short term option, there’s a fair number of decent free agents out there and we simply cannot continue with Bassey as it means we need to play the first season version of Barisic, and Helander won’t last the full season.

What free agents are out there and be able to hit the ground running?

hindsight completely, and i get the fact we didnt want to bow to Hearts demands, but for 500k not getting souttar in Jan could really bite us in the arse.

hindsight completely, and i get the fact we didnt want to bow to Hearts demands, but for 500k not getting souttar in Jan could really bite us in the arse.
It was absolutely the correct decision not to submit to Hearts excessive demands. If we had it would have set a precedent for future negotiations on other players, Hearts would expect Rangers to pay over the odds on every deal, they now know that won’t be happening.
£500k plus a sell on % was ridiculous and excessive for 15 odd games.

It was absolutely the correct decision not to submit to Hearts excessive demands. If we had it would have set a precedent for future negotiations on other players, Hearts would expect Rangers to pay over the odds on every deal, they now know that won’t be happening.
Aye well we’ll see where we are at the end of the season with 40 million on the line.

While I agree with you on paper, If Balagoun is out for a prolonged period of time then we are left with Bassey and a half fit helander to try and win a league worth up to 40m. If that comes at the expense of hearts getting their little 'win' by way of sell on then so be it.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i would have thought that excessive demands of a couple of hundred grand would have been worth it.

Plus, how often do we buy a player from hearts these days anyway? Not like they would see us paying 'over the odds' again any time soon.

And if Souter pulled a hammy or did his knee 20 mins into he debut ? - him in the stand means as much as him playing for Hearts ?
Agree that its iffs and buts however the facts are that balagoun is out while souttar is fit therefore it likely would have been a clever decision to get him. again, hindsight is wonderful etc.

I was in the camp of 'get him now' in january before balagoun had even returned.

Aye well we’ll see where we are at the end of the season with 40 million on the line.
All if and maybes, the only definite thing was they were attempting to shaft us by forcing us to pay over the top for a player we get for nothing in the summer. It was the correct business decision as signing him now would not guarantee winning the league.
Pay hearts £500k for the 15 league games and still not win the league would look very foolish.

The point about us not buying many players from Hearts is half-witted.

Other teams would be privy to our weak negotiating strategy.

All if and maybes, the only definite thing was they were attempting to shaft us by forcing us to pay over the top for a player we get for nothing in the summer. It was the correct business decision as signing him now would not guarantee winning the league.
Pay hearts £500k for the 15 league games and still not win the league would look very foolish.
We’re paying 2 million for Ramsey on loan for 5 months if the figures getting banded around are right.
That’ll look worse tbh.

Even if it wasn’t Soutar a cb even on loan should have been brought in.

The point about us not buying many players from Hearts is half-witted.

Other teams would be privy to our weak negotiating strategy.
Disagree. They would find that unless we were in a position where our centre halves were injured bar 1 and we had to play a LB at centre half that we wouldnt be desperate for an SPL player to come immediately so would tell them to chase themselves.

Our transfer record is full of folk both bought and not bought for a particular fee on deadline day from scottish clubs but it hasnt seta precedent.

Each situation would be judged on its individual merit.

Back