Balogun being assessed

Goldson is a vastly experienced CB and also a good organiser and leader. Hes done very well helping Bassey play CB, especially given its not his regular gig.

Are the development CBs at Rangers so poor they cannot be trusted to play alongside Goldson? If so why do we have a development team at all?

A real shame as he is a definite upgrade on Bassey at CB, but just can’t be relied upon, same with Helander.

With Goldson almost certainly away in the summer a new CB is an absolute top priority, especially given Souttar also has an extremely bad injury record.

The shape went when Balogun went off. Bassey was caught sleeping at a deliver into the box that Nisbet got on the end of and Barišić brought a bit of negativity - turns back too often and slows it right down.

I don’t know how many times he allows balls into the box either and I’m sure he was getting an earful from McGregor right at the death?

Balogun is far too injury prone. His contract is up in the summer and he needs moved on.

Helander and Balogun have had their injury issues. katić and Simpson aren’t good enough and I’d say Goldson is away.

Leaves us with Souttar and Helander - two players that have missed a lot of football.

Do you still get to make one late change with the Euro squad or is that just in qualifying?

If Helander is due back on Saturday maybe we get him added, even if it is more for the second leg

It's weird to look at Borna, he almost seems like hes shell shocked out there, as if he's been thrown into something he knows nothing about, his confidence for some reason, seems shot to pieces

If Balogun is out for a spell and Helander not available yet, I thought that Sands was a utility player and could play both Centre Back and Defensive Midfield.

If Balogun is out for a spell and Helander not available yet, I thought that Sands was a utility player and could play both Centre Back and Defensive Midfield.
This was my thinking too. Thought Sands was played CB for either New York or USA.

It might be worth trying Sands at CB on Saturday but my concern is he does not look physically very imposing which is half the battle in this league

Last edited:
Goldson is a vastly experienced CB and also a good organiser and leader. Hes done very well helping Bassey play CB, especially given its not his regular gig.

Are the development CBs at Rangers so poor they cannot be trusted to play alongside Goldson? If so why do we have a development team at all?

Not having an 18 year old immediately ready to play 10 games in a row, in the most physically demanding position going, in a nerve shredding title race where the stakes and pressure to deliver are both unbelievably high = disband the youth side.

Yeah, makes sense to be fair.

My money is on hamstring.

Good lad but far too injury prone. Gio won't put up with that. As a result, he won't be here next year.

I thought it was from his collision with McGinn, which forced both of them off.
I was hoping it was just a heavy impact injury.

I never realised it was a muscular problem.

That's definitely a blow.

I thought it was from his collision with McGinn, which forced both of them off.
I was hoping it was just a heavy impact injury.

I never realised it was a muscular problem.

That's definitely a blow.
You may be right mate. I've obviously no factual diagnosis at this stage, but it appears he holds his hamstring as he is explaining to the physio.

Obviously hope it's not that. Will have to see what they say today/tomorrow.

I like the big guy but you just feel he is a bit too injury prone, which is why I would be very surprised if Gio keeps him on for next season.

Not having an 18 year old immediately ready to play 10 games in a row, in the most physically demanding position going, in a nerve shredding title race where the stakes and pressure to deliver are both unbelievably high = disband the youth side.

Theyre not ready because theyre never tried so when needed theyre not ready.

Real concern as we look much better when he plays, I was hoping it was just a heavy knock . I like him in the side as he's perfectly suited to the game up here.

Did I hear correctly that Helander is now available?

Real concern as we look much better when he plays, I was hoping it was just a heavy knock . I like him in the side as he's perfectly suited to the game up here.

Did I hear correctly that Helander is now available?

At the past couple of pressers, Gio has alluded to the fact that Helander will be in the squad on Saturday.

I'd give Sands a go and keep Bassey out left, give us a better balance
We can’t be shifting Sands from midfield to centre half for such a crucial phase of the season just so that borna can sit on the bench. He’s a well paid Croatian international who should be able to play at a competent level surely

Barsisic at left back has been killing us, not Bassey at centre back.
Pains me to say it.
Bassey is an accident waiting to happen at CH and whilst Barasic has been really poor he gets little or no support from Bassey as left sided CB.
Whilst we all like Big Bassey's enthusiasiam his distribution is poor, he gets caught out of position and is really poor in the air.

We need to support these guys in those occasions,that can only do more harm than good.
Im all for support and completely against getting on any of our players backs.

But how the %^*& does a grown man, professional athlete and Croatian international left back look like a completely different player, terrified of making a mistake??

Thats psychological. There’s something wrong there

It might be worth trying Sands at CB on Saturday but my concern is he does not look physically very opposing which is half the battle in this league
Not convinced Sands is the answer but he cant be any worse than Bassey in the air.

Helander may be back in with a chance of game time at the weekend. See how he gets on. Sands is also worthwhile giving a chance at centre back.

I wish people would stop going on about Souttar though. It would have been great to get him in this window but it just wasn't a fair deal for us. In fact, Hearts were ripping the pish. If it had been the £500k I still think that is too much but the sell on fee was just stupid and as mentioned, there is no definite they would have accepted the £500k either.

We should be fine to cope with the next few games and hopefully Balogun isn't too serious and Helander is actually on his way back this time.
It was the add ons as well they overplayed their hand.

Bassey is an accident waiting to happen at CH and whilst Barasic has been really poor he gets little or no support from Bassey as left sided CB.
Whilst we all like Big Bassey's enthusiasiam his distribution is poor, he gets caught out of position and is really poor in the air.
Bassey is not a CB but has done a decent job there , Barisic is a Croatian international from who we are entitled to expect more.

Bassey is not a CB but has done a decent job there , Barisic is a Croatian international from who we are entitled to expect more.
Agree.
Point is you cant be a CH in Scotland and not be decent in the air.
The fact is teams in Scotland throw lots of high balls into the penalty box and we cant have a CH who is so poor in the air, particularly when we have a keeper behind him who is really poor at crosses.

Huge insult to Bassey. He's done very well filling in at centre back. As fourth or fifth choice he's been fine.
Mate he's been pulled out a hole several times since switching to there. He can't be faulted for effort but he isn't a centre back.

It might be worth trying Sands at CB on Saturday but my concern is he does not look physically very imposing which is half the battle in this league

That can easily be cured -- in about a year -- with plenty of barbell + knife-and-fork medicine.

I'm personally very confident about Sands doing well here.

The priority, of course, is winning games right now, so we must look to players who can dominate right away.

I'm hopeful that Balogun will not be sidelined for too long. He's a player I like a lot.

Souttar was injured as well, we are going to struggle when Goldson goes if we have to rely on a trio of Helander Balogun and Souttar who have real injury concerns.
We will replace Goldson.
The level of replacement will depend on whether we win the league or come second.
If we win and get auto UCL Groups, a Doeki will be knocking on our door.
If not, we may looking at a lower level partner for Souttar/Helander.
Balogun will be gone.

We will replace Goldson.
The level of replacement will depend on whether we win the league or come second.
If we win and get auto UCL Groups, a Doeki will be knocking on our door.
If not, we may looking at a lower level partner for Souttar/Helander.
Balogun will be gone.
I watched the video of Doekhi and he never seemed in control in nearly every challenge he went to ground with last ditch tackles, looks very raw.
Goldson will be very hard to replace.

We should have got Soutar in, no doubt it about it. In the grand scheme of things we were only chump change apart. We should have ponied up what these Gorgie scum were asking. I hope we don't now pay a big price.

We can’t be shifting Sands from midfield to centre half for such a crucial phase of the season just so that borna can sit on the bench. He’s a well paid Croatian international who should be able to play at a competent level surely

we have shifted Bassey to CB so what is the difference? Sands has played more games at CB than Bassey in his career, posted good aerial and passing stats in his MLS career too, I think he would be better than Bassey at CB and keeps Bassey at LB

Agreed Borna is a well paid Croatian international who should play at a competent level but is he? Bang out of confidence/form

We should have got Soutar in, no doubt it about it. In the grand scheme of things we were only chump change apart. We should have ponied up what these Gorgie scum were asking. I hope we don't now pay a big price.
They didn't want to sell. Simple as that. Halkett out long term so why would they sell?

I am all for giving the young ones a go if not what is the sense of them being there, now would be an ideal time as Goldson would guide him though it Saturday would be a good chance for King

Back