Rodgers Stirs It : Sellik Have Spent Half Of What Rangers Have This Season..

NorseGod

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has told The Telegraph that he thinks Rangers' spending means they must challenge for the Scottish Premiership title.

The Bhoys beat Ross County 4-0 at Celtic Park on Saturday afternoon, bouncing back from their 5-0 hammering at the hands of Paris Saint-Germain in midweek.

Rodgers' men sit two points clear of Aberdeen at the top of the Scottish Premiership table after Saturday's result, and will be looking to build on that advantage when they take on Rangers next weekend.

The first Old Firm derby of the season arrives next Saturday, when Celtic make the short trip across Glasgow to Ibrox, in search of another huge win over the Gers.

Celtic beat Rangers 5-1 twice last season, including their most recent meeting at Ibrox back in April, which prompted something of a summer spending spree for Rangers and manager Pedro Caixinha.

The Portuguese boss, appointed as Mark Warburton's replacement back in March, was allowed to bring in 11 new signings over the summer, including the likes of Bruno Alves, Graham Dorrans and Alfredo Morelos, with Transfermarkt totalling their summer spending at almost £9million.

Transfermarkt also believe that Celtic spent just half of that on their summer signings despite winning the title and qualifying for the Champions League – something manager Rodgers has now drawn attention to ahead of their meeting next weekend.

Rodgers has told The Telegraph that Rangers' spending means they should be looking to win the title this season, not just finish above Aberdeen in second, somewhat stirring the pot before the trip to Ibrox – and he believes Rangers' current tactics are 'nothing complicated' under Caixinha.

"I’ve seen a little bit of Rangers,” Rodgers said. “Pedro obviously came in during the season and was able to assess and look at different methods in which they can try to work and play. They have clearly spent money in the summer. They spent more money than us – and we are a Champions League club - so that tells you that their idea is to win the league. It’s not to finish third. Not to finish second above Aberdeen. It’s to win the league.”

“They have come into the season with that mentality. They have signed some good players and are playing a basic shape in terms of 4-4-2, nothing complicated, get the ball wide, crosses in the box. I’m sure they will be reasonably happy with how they have started,” he added.

Have we? I'm not so sure we have. A lot of our signings have been undisclosed so we don't know
Plus he's spent 2.5m on a 1 year loan signing , wonder if he's counting that.

Just random numbers but it's about the base the spend is in that's the important factor.

So, we spent £7m on a squad worth what? £5m? Total squad value £12m

They spent £3.5m on a squad worth £30m? (I've no idea). Total squad value £33.5m

Doesn't really mean we have invested to a point we expect to win the league.

Not that I have any love for the tranny shagger, but it reads to me like his words have been twisted ever so slightly, to create a headline.

Just random numbers but it's about the base the spend is in that's the important factor.

So, we spent £7m on a squad worth what? £5m? Total squad value £12m

They spent £3.5m on a squad worth £30m? (I've no idea). Total squad value £33.5m

Doesn't really mean we have invested to a point we expect to win the league.
How you getting them figures mate ? City got 4.5m for nitcham , Aberdeen got 1.2 for Hayes and city got 2.8m for the one year loan deal for Roberts. That's no even counting the boy from Ipswich.

Not that I have any love for the tranny shagger, but it reads to me like his words have been twisted ever so slightly, to create a headline.

They have clearly spent money in the summer. They spent more money than us – and we are a Champions League club - so that tells you that their idea is to win the league. It’s not to finish third. Not to finish second above Aberdeen. It’s to win the league.”

Very little twisted there other than Rodgers himself mate.

How you getting them figures mate ? City got 4.5m for nitcham , Aberdeen got 1.2 for Hayes and city got 2.8m for the one year loan deal for Roberts. That's no even counting the boy from Ipswich.
I don't know anything about who they bought. Just using the 'we spent twice what they did' as a point in that it means nothing unless you compare it with what you are building it upon.

If person a owns a plot of land and spent a £100k to build a house he will have a better house than he started with.

If person b has a nice big house and spends £50k on renovations.

Person b will have a by far better house and there would have been no expectations from person a that their house would be better than person b'S

It's mind games from him .

He knows fine well the value and ability of each squad , but he's looking to add pressure onto Pedro and get our fans talking about our expectations .

I hope we can put this lady's front bottom back in his box

He's ripping the piss
He knows fine well he has us under control

We have fucked it already with our results

Here's what the rhebels headline is...

Watching Rangers fans leave early during Ibrox drubbing was a special feeling says Brendan Rodgers

The Celtic boss says the biggest ever win at the home of his side's rivals still is a moment to cherish.

Do Them Rangers.

Let's be honest, we needed to be going into this game coming off 4 straight wins for optimum confidence. I'm glad we have stronger characters like Alves, Dorrans and Jack in the team but I can see many of the rest wilting under the pressure. Hope I'm wrong.

What Rodgers is saying here is pretty much nothing. It doesn't matter the comparison in transfer spending, the wages of his team absolutely dwarfs ours.

Let's be honest, we needed to be going into this game coming off 4 straight wins for optimum confidence. I'm glad we have stronger characters like Alves, Dorrans and Jack in the team but I can see many of the rest wilting under the pressure. Hope I'm wrong.

What Rodgers is saying here is pretty much nothing. It doesn't matter the comparison in transfer spending, the wages of his team absolutely dwarfs ours.
Said in the confidence in team thread

Pedros never won 3 on the spin here, 4 was never Happening if we are honest.

The results aren't good enough and they'll continue to be not good enough.

Change is inevitable

Didnt he tell Pedro or another manager last season to mind their own business and that you would never hear him talk about other teams?
Or words to that effect.

Not that the press would call him out on it.

Hypocritical c-unt.

Is he scared ?

Definitely not, just stirring the pot.

We might, and I stress might beat Celtic in the odd one off game but our current side have no chance of challenging for the title. Lose on Saturday and go 8 points behind and the league is as good as over after 7 games.

Sadly I believe Celtic are so strong they will probably have a 2nd undefeated domestic season.

Nice of him to point out despite him earning them circa 50+ mill through 2 champion league qualifications, a manager at a club that's allegedly has no money (cough cough) is allowed to outspend you. We should be reminding the unwashed about this at every opportunity in the run up to their AGM, more so if somehow we pulled off a victory next week it would absolutely send them into meltdown militant mode for the AGM.

Very smug. A cretin.

He is ramping up the pressure on Pedro before next weekend. Mind games. It is allowed.

Lets hope we can use these words as a motivator. It would be lovely to ram them back down their collective throats.

Looks like it plus he's been under pressure on his spending power compared to the rest of Scotland. This is following their talk about PSG being miles ahead on cash spend.
This is the usual clever stuff from them suggesting we're spending big for Scotland and he's right. Even if we don't match them we should be well ahead of Aberdeen and the rest.
His language isn't unpleasant, he refers to our manager as "Pedro" and suggests we have bought with a view to winning the league.
Friday night proved yet again that we still have some poor players and players who are at the end of their careers rather than the middle. We've sold Waghorn, Garner and McKay to be replaced with Morales, Herrera and Candias. Not sure if it's much of an improvement so far but it's early.
We've got Holt and Wilson out the picture with Candias and Krankjaer first choices with Windass ahead of Holt. Not sure if that's an improvement either.
If we play 442 against them, I fear the worst. We have to play with 4 at the back and 5 in the middle as we did under Murty.
We need Warriors all over the pitch for 90 mins!

Said in the confidence in team thread

Pedros never won 3 on the spin here, 4 was never Happening if we are honest.

The results aren't good enough and they'll continue to be not good enough.

Change is inevitable

If it's another tanking , Pedro will lose what support he's got left and the board will be under enormous fan pressure to bin him .

A win , draw or at least a spirited performance will probably see him continue until the next Celtic game .

But I do agree , there's a certain inevitability about how this is going to end .

Is he scared ?

This is just delusion.

Same as the delusion that Caixinha is a good manager.

He is lacking in tactics , motivation and recruitment.

He is simply not good enough, and I don't know what it will take before the board show some leadership and replace him.

Will it be a hiding this Saturday or us sitting 5th or 6th at Xmas.

I don't know, but one thing I do know it will have to happen, and the sooner the better.

Nice of him to point out despite him earning them circa 50+ mill through 2 champion league qualifications, a manager at a club that's allegedly has no money (cough cough) is allowed to outspend you. We should be reminding the unwashed about this at every opportunity in the run up to their AGM, more so if somehow we pulled off a victory next week it would absolutely send them into meltdown militant mode for the AGM.

We aren't 'outspending' them though. In transfer fees this summer yes, but as noted above their wage bill will dwarf ours.

They have clearly spent money in the summer. They spent more money than us – and we are a Champions League club - so that tells you that their idea is to win the league. It’s not to finish third. Not to finish second above Aberdeen. It’s to win the league.”

Very little twisted there other than Rodgers himself mate.

Didnt he tell Pedro or another manager last season to mind their own business and that you would never hear him talk about other teams?
Or words to that effect.

Not that the press would call him out on it.

Hypocritical c-unt.

All about context is what I'm getting at mate. I possibly give folk the benefit of the doubt too easily but he has very obviously been asked about us, and what sort of threat we pose this season. He has then spoken about our intent, that we have brought boys in, so we are obviously trying to have a go. To be honest if you read it like that, I don't really see a lot wrong, when you consider how easy we made it for them last term.

At no point does he say, 'Rangers must win the league, spending that sort of money', that's where the press rats have twisted it.

Looks like it plus he's been under pressure on his spending power compared to the rest of Scotland. This is following their talk about PSG being miles ahead on cash spend.
This is the usual clever stuff from them suggesting we're spending big for Scotland and he's right. Even if we don't match them we should be well ahead of Aberdeen and the rest.
His language isn't unpleasant, he refers to our manager as "Pedro" and suggests we have bought with a view to winning the league.
Friday night proved yet again that we still have some poor players and players who are at the end of their careers rather than the middle. We've sold Waghorn, Garner and McKay to be replaced with Morales, Herrera and Candias. Not sure if it's much of an improvement so far but it's early.
We've got Holt and Wilson out the picture with Candias and Krankjaer first choices with Windass ahead of Holt. Not sure if that's an improvement either.
If we play 442 against them, I fear the worst. We have to play with 4 at the back and 5 in the middle as we did under Murty.
We need Warriors all over the pitch for 90 mins!

Aye that's pretty much how I read it too.

I agree with you about the set up as well.

If it's another tanking , Pedro will lose what support he's got left and the board will be under enormous fan pressure to bin him .

A win , draw or at least a spirited performance will probably see him continue until the next Celtic game .

But I do agree , there's a certain inevitability about how this is going to end .

It's gotten to the stage for me that it's not that I want Pedro sacked but I no longer can come up with excuses or arguments against anyone who does want him sacked.

If we get put out the cup and Celtic beat us next week then he's a goner IMO.

He's hitting far too many roadblocks. Every decent result is followed by a stinker. More than once. 9 games this season and we've had 4 bad results - Progres, Hibs, Hearts, Thistle. I'm willing to give him a bye on the Hibs game even though I thought his team selection second half was diabolical but the other 3 ? 9 games in and he's still got Miller as first name on the team sheet no matter how shit he plays. He's even altered the tactics to 4-4-2 to accomodate him despite forking out £7m on signings that were designed for 4-2-3-1

It's not good enough. It's not excusable either.

All about context is what I'm getting at mate. I possibly give folk the benefit of the doubt too easily but he has very obviously been asked about us, and what sort of threat we pose this season. He has then spoken about our intent, that we have brought boys in, so we are obviously trying to have a go. To be honest if you read it like that, I don't really see a lot wrong, when you consider how easy we made it for them last term.

At no point does he say, 'Rangers must win the league, spending that sort of money', that's where the press rats have twisted it.

Look at what Rodgers says in quotes,

"I’ve seen a little bit of Rangers,” Rodgers said. “Pedro obviously came in during the season and was able to assess and look at different methods in which they can try to work and play. They have clearly spent money in the summer. They spent more money than us – and we are a Champions League club - so that tells you that their idea is to win the league. It’s not to finish third. Not to finish second above Aberdeen. It’s to win the league.”

Of course they haven't spent money. They didn't need to, a few loans here and they are done. We have needed to spend money yet we are still behind them in terms of squad value.

When they start losing games and the pressure is on he will crack. He had the easiest job in football just now.

I hope we scud them

Look at what Rodgers says in quotes,

I have.

Where does he say we 'must challenge for the title'?

These quotes are nothing without context.

To me, he has made a fairly obvious observation, but the paper that printed it, is looking for a reaction like yours, and others on the thread, to try and create that little bit of controversy, so that dafties like us will argue about it at 9am on a Sunday morning :D

That's all about Brenda, nothing else.
He's determined to make people think he is some kind of great manager so this little snippet helps build the lie.
He got gubbed during the week but that was nothing to do with the rubber faced one. No, his players played like an U12's team he said.
Whether we have spent more money than them this window is irrelevant given the squad they already had there and the huge disparity in the relative wage bills of the football clubs.
He is mixing it but he's also covering his bets should they get beat on Saturday so that he can still claim St Brendan walks on water.
I truly hope the mask slips come full time on Saturday and he has to throw his players under a bus again.

Just do it Rangers

Question is, If they have so much money why are they not spending to compete against the 3rd best team in the world??? Princess Brenda's quote about PSG, not sure how he worked that one out but am sure the filth will back him up. Just hope they get humped as badly by the other two they face..

Plus he is adding to a team already built and we are more or less in the process of building a new team. Our process will take another 2 years at least.

Back