Goldson

I’ve been told last autumn by someone who knows him that his wife wants back home to Wolverhampton and he was supposed to be going to West Brom who at the time looked on for a return to the EPL. I understand he has bought a house in Wolverhampton while with us. All the clubs he has been linked with have I think been relatively close to Wolverhampton so information kinda stacks up.

I can absolutely understand him wanting to keep the family happy. Just hope it doesn’t change things if he ends up in a team fighting relegation rather than playing in our league winning and European challenging team. In a few years when looking back on his career he might feel, having been given a superb chance by Rangers, he made a mistake moving away from us, a mistake that he’ll have to live with.

It just doesn't make sense why, after playing in this European run, he would rather go back to playing alongside Joe Worrall.

A team like Villa I could get, but Forest will be up for a season or two at most then straight back down.

Joe Worrall is a very good centre half.

Have to say I agree with this, he has always got a mistake in him and in a large proportion off games he has a brain fart and mainly gets away with it. But for me he’s no more than decent and certainly not irreplaceable, and think it’s time for him to go. He was satisfactory standard for what we needed 4 years ago but as a club we have moved on and we should be looking to bring in better.
I have that feeling that it probably is time for us, and him, to move on.

His durability, availability and desire to manage 60 games a year has been exceptional.

But for all that I hope I'm right in agreeing in thinking that he's not irreplaceable, we have previously managed to bring in good defenders for relatively modest sums, let's hope we can do so again.

He has and does give me the fear though with his occasional lapses of concentration, and Wednesday wasn't his " finest hour" so to speak.

Let's hope he plays a blinder in a Rangers win tomorrow and he gets the send off he deserves.

I have a pal who lives down there and he says among Villa fans he’s going there. Who knows.

Gerrard on transfers:

He said: “Things are moving at different speeds for different players so we are hoping to have some news as soon as we can. There are a few pieces not too far away.
“A transfer is a process. It is not just the case of making a bid and them saying yes or no. In my shoes you have to be patient but yeah, I’d love them in yesterday and in for a full pre-season. There is obviously a free market as well which can be a bit different. You can bring them in a bit quicker.

Coupled with:

The boss explained Mings has a “really good shout” of remaining skipper, yet refused to rule out the possibility of signing a player who might then take the armband, during a summer window when he wants to add more leaders to the squad.

“We are still working that out. I still won’t rule out the option of someone coming in, who I know, who is also capable of being in the running. It is something I am analysing really closely now and I will make a decision sometime during pre-season.”

It could be me taking 2+2 and getting 5 but these quotes make me think Goldson to Villa is a distinct possibility.

I actually think he owes us better than that in all honesty. We picked him up after a big operation for a decent layout of £3m at the time, making him one of the biggest earners and guaranteeing him game time.

He should have signed a new deal last season ensuring that we at least got something back for him.

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority, but I think it’s quite poor.

I get hat your saying, however, he has fulfilled his contract completely. Never took the last 6 months off injured.

I suspect he is leaving due to length of contract offered. Probably wants longer than we are prepared to offer.

I've always said this since fairly early on that I've never been his biggest fan. Can be brilliant but too often his clangers really do cause us problems. He has won a title, been part of silly embarrassing losses, said stupid things and been colossal taking us to a European final. That's the football side.

His face driving away from Auchenhowie was one of pain and hurt. Wednesday has clearly gutted him. I'm also sure he'd be fairly happy to stay but if he moves I'm betting its a family decision. He isn't a rangers fan. Maybe he's tucked boxes in his career, one he maybe never thought possible. He has a league winners medal. Sadly a European runners up one. Maybe the set up for life means being closer to where home is for his family.

We don't need to gripe whine and tell him what he already knows size of club wise. I wish him well, and contining health wherever he goes.

I don't get the bitterness.
Well said

When he leaves, as it looks like he will, he will go with my thanks. He has been a rock at times. Helped us secure 55, helped get our club back on the European map and helped get us to a European final. His consistency and availability will be difficult to replace. Had a few howlers but who in this team hasn't? Let's be honest.

A footballer's career is relatively short and if he can double or treble his wages for the next 3/4 years then who wouldn't make that move? There is more to his life than Rangers. He has himself, his family etc to take care of first and foremost.

Don't follow much English football.

Do Forest have a big investor in their ranks?

It's going to take a hefty wage to make him go there.
Apparently gaining promotion to the PL (if that happens) is worth anywhere from 140m-230m extra revenue for a club, it’s mental money down there. Could pay 100 players 50k a week from that alone.

Been a brilliant signing and goes with my best wishes.

The goal against Frankfurt you see from him several times a season, it’s time the club and Goldson move on regardless of contracts for that reason.

Time for us to attempt to go up a level as all good teams do, even the best players are replaceable.

Big Goldson has proved me wrong the last 2 seasons. I didn’t fancy him his first 2 seasons here…his biggest strength is that he’s always fit & available.

I think it’s time we made a few changes in squad & I wish him all the best. If he goes to N.F, Bournemouth or Villa he will regret moving on & not taken what we’ve offered. Granted we don’t know the exact contract discussions but he will never play another game in Europe.

I think he’s easier replaced than a lot think. He’s not that good.

He'll be VERY hard to replace without spending big IMO. When you consider that he's played the most games out of everyone the last 2/3 seasons and has been first pick constantly then I think some on here judge him too harshly.

It's just a pity he was partly at fault for their goal the other night or he could've left a Europa League winner.

He really isn’t.

Shane Duffy is a mainstay for Brighton who are 10th in the Premier League. Goldson is twice the player he'll ever be.

Fucking hell...A European final and Scottish cup final to Nottingham Forest.
That sounds like coming down from a cracking eccie binge back in the day!!

Good luck to the lad but he’s already at the biggest club he’ll ever play for. Football’s a short career and if he wants to make money then fair play.

He's been a great servant of the club imo, and if he leaves then I wish him all the best. Hopefully who ever we replace him with can stay as injury free and consistent.

There were rumours it was to do with choice of area to settle down with the Mrs, which doesn’t get taken into account in these threads. Players are people too with more to think about than footballing matters.

If rumours are to be believed it's family motivated rather than football reasons.

Big man has been part of a team that has gave me some incredible highs these last 2 years (and devastating lows)

One last big performance and another trophy and he goes with my utmost respect and gratitude.

Wilson’s negotiating isn’t very good, to the extent that he and Goldson’s agent weren’t even on speaking terms late last year.

Letting our £3.5m vice Captain leave for free is a monumental boob. We will need to spend several million just to bring in similar quality - so it’s several million just to stand still, really.

We failed to get in our first choice replacement (Doekhi) so it’ll be a tense few months, particularly as we also failed to land Skov Olsen.

We failed to capitalise on our 2008 run and I dearly hope we don’t do similar this time round.

He could easily play in at least half of the teams in the top league down south, absolutely no problem. Crazy if he ends up at one of the relegation favourites or worse still, a Championship side. Will be a big loss if he goes but he's been brilliant for us and if it's his family taking him back down then very hard to hold it against him.

If he doesn't want to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world then let him go. We have had better players than Goldson and will have better in the future. As a professional fooball player he gets well paid for his services and if he can find someone mug enough to pay more then don't let the door hit him on the ass onn his way out.

I actually think he owes us better than that in all honesty. We picked him up after a big operation for a decent layout of £3m at the time, making him one of the biggest earners and guaranteeing him game time.

He should have signed a new deal last season ensuring that we at least got something back for him.

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority, but I think it’s quite poor.
No mate a lot more bears that I know think the same as you.

Good luck to him.

Cuellar left after a great European run and we got Bougherra in. Lots of trophies followed.

Sometimes someone you think is going to be hard to replace really isn't.

He flatters to deseve - to error prone when matters . Cup final against celtic, fouls Edward, goal cup gone, Aberdeen demands ball from Mcgregor looses it goal, league gone, other night no tackle cup gone- lots more incidents that a reasonable competent defender deals with- and the hand in the air or blaming other players annoys me. A very average defender.

He will be very hard to replace. Never misses a game and has been marshalling that defence with various partners beside him through some very tough European matches for 3 seasons. He will be very hard to replace and we will see just how hard next season for sure. I remember reading a piece about the coaching work that went into Goldson with Beal etc to become the leader he is. These type of players need a season to become that type of player - and that team leadership is likely to be a massive hole for us next season.

No matter who has left we have evolved and moved onwards
He’s been a rock but there’s another one ready to step into his shoes like all the rest have been replaced
As an ex center half I cannot understand why he did what he did by pulling out of clearing that cross that’s you’re fucking job pal.
He goes with my thanks and best wishes

Rumours doing the rounds that his destination is going to be Nottingham Forrest. Imagine it’s a big numbers contract that will set him up, can’t see the draw to go to them.
Good luck to him, been a great servant and a steady consistent performer. Shame he never chose to extend his contract with us for another few seasons.

However, if it is Forest it really reiterates the achievement of our Europa league run that a Championship side can offer a superior financial package.

Somehow I have never been his biggest fan.

He has always been available and for that I commend him, as said above he must have missed maybe a handful of games in his time here which is remarkable.

But he has always had a clanger in him. The Frankfurt goal is a carbon copy of what we've seen from him in the past.

He goes with my best wishes but I won't be upset if he goes. I would be very surprised if we wouldn't replace him easily.
I feel the same also.

Somehow I have never been his biggest fan.

He has always been available and for that I commend him, as said above he must have missed maybe a handful of games in his time here which is remarkable.

But he has always had a clanger in him. The Frankfurt goal is a carbon copy of what we've seen from him in the past.

He goes with my best wishes but I won't be upset if he goes. I would be very surprised if we wouldn't replace him easily.
It’s his half arsing it at the start of the season and the remarks after the league cup semi that ensure that he goes with my well wishes, but not with any sort of real disappointment on my part.

He is not good enough goes with my best wishes
So who replaces him that’s better? The Dutch lad has chosen Germany and Souttar has a dreadful injury record. If we let players go the board HAVE to fund bringing in better otherwise we downsize and spiral slowly downwards.

After the calamitous defending in Seville, and countless other occasions, I can't say I'm bothered that he's leaving. Key thing is to replace with better quality. Time will tell on that one.
Same.

As far as I’m concerned he has shown that he isn’t up to the task, the number of goals we’ve conceded due to him, and to not clear that ball in a Euro final is absolutely unforgivable in my eyes.

He flatters to deseve - to error prone when matters . Cup final against celtic, fouls Edward, goal cup gone, Aberdeen demands ball from Mcgregor looses it goal, league gone, other night no tackle cup gone- lots more incidents that a reasonable competent defender deals with- and the hand in the air or blaming other players annoys me. A very average defender.

Allan McGregor's had more costly mistakes this season than Goldson's had his entire career with us. He a very average goalkeeper?

Good luck to him.

Cuellar left after a great European run and we got Bougherra in. Lots of trophies followed.

Sometimes someone you think is going to be hard to replace really isn't.

Good point, but we seem hellbent on signing players who spend more time in the physio room than on the pitch.

He’ll always be welcome back to the club and remembered fondly. He’s given his all every game he has played, even at times when he’s messed up you can see how badly he took it. I don’t begrudge him getting one last chance at a big pay check to set him and his family up for life. All the best!

Back