Goldson

The Majority of the time he's a very good EPL quality defender however he's not the messiah and is replaceable he's been at fault for quite a few of our goals this season particularly in Europe we are capable of getting better with the right scouting and recruitment policy

We'll miss him, but Goldson will miss us, and playing for Rangers; by his own admission I believe, this has been the best stage of his career. Deep down he has to be asking himself if he's doing the right thing, but that's life at times. Hopefully the rest of his career goes well; he deserves everything that's good about the game to go his way. Been a great defender.

He was a colossus against leipzig home and away, against braga at home and against red star. He wasn’t the only one. Without him we dont make the final, thats my point.
Red Star netted three times. Offside but not because of composed defending, offside because of poor positioning of forwards. We were battered in Belgrade. Hanging on is not the same as seeing a tie out with composed defending. AWOL at Leipzig Ibrox goal. Weak at first Dortmund Ibrox goal. We made the final and lost. Second is nowhere. A better centre half clears the Kostic cross and we win. Sometimes the truth is tough. Good luck to Goldson though, always gave it the best he had to offer. But I stand by the claim that he is not a colossus. We can find better. Move on.

Red Star netted three times. Offside but not because of composed defending, offside because of poor positioning of forwards. We were battered in Belgrade. Hanging on is not the same as seeing a tie out with composed defending. AWOL at Leipzig Ibrox goal. Weak at first Dortmund Ibrox goal. We made the final and lost. Second is nowhere. A better centre half clears the Kostic cross and we win. Sometimes the truth is tough. Good luck to Goldson though, always gave it the best he had to offer. But I stand by the claim that he is not a colossus. We can find better. Move on.
This is daft mate. Red star didn’t net 3 times. A millimetre offside or a mile is irrelevant. Weak at the first Dortmund goal perhaps, but against a player worth over 100m. If we are expecting to replace him with someone that comfortably marks Bellingham out a game then we are in for a rude awakening. As for Leipzig, he comfortably won his personal battle against both Nkunku and Poulson over 2 legs. Both outrageous footballers. Again, if u think we are getting someone in who would stroll it against those 2 then it will be a huge shock you will be in for mate.

If there is anything in it then it must be based on winning the play offs surely?

It’s maybe not primarily about money. My understanding is that it’s his missus wanting to be closer to family.

Unless he’s going to the PL he’ll be lucky to earn more money. Very few players in the Championship are on big wages in football terms and the ‘doubling his money’ stuff is a total myth.

Good luck to him. From fearing he would never play again to playing in a European final for Rangers is quite a career arc.

The good outweighs the bad with the big man, though I fear my last memory of him will always be him turning round to berate Bassey after the goal.

The mind numbingly stupid lengths people go to to try and justify their opinions on here never fails to amaze me.

While he may not be as good as those 3, they all made mistakes as well in big games. The knee jerk stuff is mad. He has been a feature in basically 4 years worth of games unbroken. Thats nigh on impossible to replace, a complete stroke of luck. We will need millions to get a player of his quality and constant availability.
Totally agree.

Tempted but, surely also tempted by achieving something in the game?
I mean, money cannot be everything.
I worked in a sales position all my life and I fully understand chasing cash I did and all my colleagues did. You want better money to provide for your family and to be set in retirement. Health is and always will be number one but a decent standard of living is next.
Say Goldson is on £20k a week and the Villa offer is £50k you cannot turn that down add in you are back home away from the rest of the SPFL which is very low in terms of standard. To me it’s a no brainer.

Time for him to go, too prone to switching off and he clearly wants a fresh start somewhere else, good luck to him. I will miss those long diagonal passes some of them were top notch.

I worked in a sales position all my life and I fully understand chasing cash I did and all my colleagues did. You want better money to provide for your family and to be set in retirement. Health is and always will be number one but a decent standard of living is next.
Say Goldson is on £20k a week and the Villa offer is £50k you cannot turn that down add in you are back home away from the rest of the SPFL which is very low in terms of standard. To me it’s a no brainer.

What Villa offer? Not aware of any premier league interest.

As a top flight club we use the Bosman rule, cross border transfers and loans very well. We have to accept it works both ways. A few months ago we signed Souttar. FF said “ offer them peanuts to take him now “and “ leave him there to the summer and pay nothing”.

Apart from Ryan Kent our best eleven are made up of every way to assemble a team apart from paying large transfer fee’s.

What Villa offer? Not aware of any premier league interest.
Posted earlier in the thread mate. I have a friend/former colleague from Birmingham and according to him he’s signing for Villa. Another poster put up SG’s press conference and he speaks about signings and mentions those available free - no names. Listen I don’t claim to know but Goldson would improve Villa.

Will be a decent sized signing on fee factored into any contract he signs elsewhere would rather he stayed as he won't be cheap to replace
Another often slated defender gave us a cup winning goal in his last game so here's hoping

One thing’s for sure - whoever we replace him with must have an impeccable injury record. His appearance stats are ridiculous.

Nottingham Forest are 90 minutes away from the English Premiership.

He’s near on 30, been up here for years, has a young family and probably want to move back down South.

We move on. We’ve lost better and still managed. It’s now about getting two quality centre backs in.

we shouldn’t forget it’s goldson who has helped turn bassey into a cracking centre half.Leon king said last week the goldson is brilliant at giving advice,not just about on the park but off it as well.
For me he goes with my best wishes,he put his heart and soul into playing for us and he was a huge leader in the dressing room.

This is daft mate. Red star didn’t net 3 times. A millimetre offside or a mile is irrelevant. Weak at the first Dortmund goal perhaps, but against a player worth over 100m. If we are expecting to replace him with someone that comfortably marks Bellingham out a game then we are in for a rude awakening. As for Leipzig, he comfortably won his personal battle against both Nkunku and Poulson over 2 legs. Both outrageous footballers. Again, if u think we are getting someone in who would stroll it against those 2 then it will be a huge shock you will be in for mate.
I know if he stays we certainly won't be getting anything better. You can choose to stick with your 'thats the best we can get' attitude if you want.

Am i just being paranoid or is he holding out to see if they make the premiership? Id be putting a date on the contract and it would be before it. But thats just me

I think we definitely got our moneys worth but we should have got some back too. At the age he is, his next contract will be his last big one and he’s looking for security now rather than honours, which is probably the motivation he needed to move on and at the same time be closer to his natural home.

I wish him well, like all players who leave. I think the club should have sold him last summer as it was clearly obvious he wasn’t signing a new deal.

One last game today, go and get that cup and all the best for his future career.

Disappointed to see him go, however we've lost better than him before. Just means Ross Wilson needs to earn his wages this summer!

Even if he decides to stay i would still go out and get a better C/H.

Goldson is a good defender when facing up the park

But a balll over his shoulder and he is lost, similarly a cross ball in the air or on the deck is rarely cleared by Goldson.

Hi limitations have cost us goals and trophies so not the "rock" some make him out to be

Goldson, when he goes, will be remembered as a good Rangers player and so he should be.
We were both good for each other.
But like any team with our resources, we get what we pay for and he has his flaws. Of that there ia no doubt
But no need to bash him for wanting to provide for his family.
Lets look at the good and wish him well and move on.
It is and always will be, about The Rangers.

Wouldve left with higher regards if he didnt cost us the europa league

He will leave with my best regards as he's been a tremendous signing for us.

However, if he ends up at the likes Nottingham Forest or West Brom, he will be kicking himself everyday for the rest of his career.

He will leave with my best regards as he's been a tremendous signing for us.

However, if he ends up at the likes Nottingham Forest or West Brom, he will be kicking himself everyday for the rest of his career.
Family reasons. His mrs wants back down south as eldest is due to start school

Good luck to big sniffer if he goes. Almost every present, a colossus in defence at times but also guilty of some horrendous mistakes.
He showed leadership skills at times when we lacked them and his defensive abilities were not the worst. Clearly a good guy to have around and it was evident that he loved the club but family comes first and if he wants to leave, he should leave with all our best wishes.

Be thankful that we have a ready made replacement who is good enough, and loves the club in Leon King.

Family reasons. His mrs wants back down south as eldest is due to start school
Regardless of the geographical reasons, leaving Rangers for the Championship or a relegation battle in the EPL is depressing.

He's good enough to play in a middle to top half EPL side.

There was always a bit of reaction vs. response with Connor Goldson in terms of fan judgments. Some of the abuse he took was absurd at times, likewise so was the praise as a reaction when he did play well.

His durability is impressive, but then again, if you have 4 capable centre backs, you shouldn't have to worry about one of them playing 60+ games. I think the fact we had two sicknotes in Helander and Balogun in reserve only highlighted this when it came to him. Davie Weir was similarly never missing.

He's a good CB but if I'm judging in the grand scheme of ones I've watched, I'd probably have him slightly over Bougherra. Miles behind Cuellar and from, what we saw in his brief time here, Boumsong.

Hopefully his replacement can actually read a run at the front post because it's actually ridiculous how much he switches off with that, ultimately costing us.

Rangers move on. Ross Wilson is doing something far wrong if he can't find a replacement at a decent price.

Allan McGregor's had more costly mistakes this season than Goldson's had his entire career with us. He a very average goalkeeper?

Good point, but we seem hellbent on signing players who spend more time in the physio room than on the pitch.
This year yes- but wasn't always, age caught him. Your somewhat comparing apples n pears.

It shows football is all about zeros on the bank balance so he’s rather a relegation battle that possible CL or more Europa league football. Quite sad really and not really the man I thought he was
Of course it's all about money in the bank, especially if it's his last big contract. Its also said he's moving nearer home because his wife has very little family for support up here. So he's probably a better man than you thought. Giving this up so his family can be happier.

Back