Goldson

He’ll always be welcome back to the club and remembered fondly. He’s given his all every game he has played, even at times when he’s messed up you can see how badly he took it. I don’t begrudge him getting one last chance at a big pay check to set him and his family up for life. All the best!
Yeah not too sure about that to be honest. I think he’s coasted a fair bit this season.

I’ve been told last autumn by someone who knows him that his wife wants back home to Wolverhampton and he was supposed to be going to West Brom who at the time looked on for a return to the EPL. I understand he has bought a house in Wolverhampton while with us. All the clubs he has been linked with have I think been relatively close to Wolverhampton so information kinda stacks up.

I can absolutely understand him wanting to keep the family happy. Just hope it doesn’t change things if he ends up in a team fighting relegation rather than playing in our league winning and European challenging team. In a few years when looking back on his career he might feel, having been given a superb chance by Rangers, he made a mistake moving away from us, a mistake that he’ll have to live with.
It’s such a short career, pretty brutal from his missus/family if they can’t let him have his last couple years where he wants them, then they have the rest of their lives to go where they please.

I get it if it’s purely a money thing, but if it’s just a location thing, especially only a few hours down the road that seems harsh. Speculation though, maybe he himself fancies a change and another crack in England

He's served us well.
It's now pension time and time for his family to enjoy his twilight years back in his home country.

Goldson never claimed to be a Rangers fan, although hopefully he is now. He was a mercenary for hire and he has fulfilled a 4 year contract diligently.

Some big goals domestically, an ironclad wall in more than a few European ties and he has always conducted himself with exemplary professionalism.

I’m sad to see him leave, but wish him all the best.

If he wants to leave well that's fine he has served his time with us.
Some good / some bad
However today then he doesn't play
Play people who want to play,ay for us ie Leon King

Heard it’s down to the number of years we are offering rather than the actual price, he wants a solid 4 years somewhere so his boy can settle at school we are offering 2 years

He goes with my greatest thanks. He has been ever present in one of my favourite ever gers teams, trophies or not. Revisionism aside, he will be extremely hard to replace.
This is the answer every time, he’s a Midlands boy and will be close to home. Will walk into a larger contract at Kuwait Forest whether they are EPL bound or not. I for one hope they do make it and will certainly look out for Goldson for the rest of his career

Excellent player for us. Wish him all the best if he has personal reason to leave or the money is considerable.

He wasn’t, he was a key part of a defence that went from conceding 50 league goals to 27, which is 4 less than this season.
Oh but he was. Not being as pathetic as the previous season’s jokers doesn’t mean he was a good defender for us, he was really fortunate more of his gaffs weren’t capitalised on. And is it not pretty much accepted that we’ve been pitiful at the back this season? It’s cost us a league title.

He's been a good servant to the club. If he's away to get £60k+ a week either aiming for playoffs or fighting EPL relegation alongside Worral and McKenna good luck to him. He will need it. I hope he doesn't wake up one day in the winter and think he didn't need the cash....

£60k a week? The deal has clearly been aligned for a while, and Forest were nowhere near the play offs until a couple of months ago. Forest won’t be paying anyone more than £20k a week. Covid shot the championship apart.

Oh but he was. Not being as pathetic as the previous season’s jokers doesn’t mean he was a good defender for us, he was really fortunate more of his gaffs weren’t capitalised on. And is it not pretty much accepted that we’ve been pitiful at the back this season? It’s cost us a league title.
He didn’t really, but if that’s what you want to believe, then good luck to our future CB’s because the 13 goals conceded last season was an anomaly.

Been running down his contract for a very long time. Plenty blunders in him. Can’t be bothered extending his leg for a cross in a European final when he doesn’t know what’s behind him.

Thank him for his service but we move on quickly.
Hilariously shite take. Laughable almost. He didn’t block the tackle because he couldn’t be bothered, phaha

I actually think he owes us better than that in all honesty. We picked him up after a big operation for a decent layout of £3m at the time, making him one of the biggest earners and guaranteeing him game time.

He should have signed a new deal last season ensuring that we at least got something back for him.

I’m sure I’ll be in the minority, but I think it’s quite poor.
Gerrard failed to deal with this situation. Ultimatum, sold if they don’t commit.

He didn’t really, but if that’s what you want to believe, then good luck to our future CB’s because the 13 goals conceded last season was an anomaly.
You can’t rewrite history though. It happened, even the minute he stepped in against Villarreal he’d slipped up. Again, I’m not really sure what this season or last seasons goals against has to do with Worrall, but of course it was an anomaly.

Our biggest failure was not giving him a consistent partner in defence. His first season he had to mop up after Katic and Worrall, then in his second the same but with Edmundson. Last year Balogun and Helander were good but missed games through injury, and this year he's done well with Bassey who started the season as 5th choice centre back.

A left footed Goldson and we'd have had a tremendous centre back pairing. Now we need two first choices.

Didn't read the full thread but 3rd choice behind Worrel and McKenna, has probably been stated before.

Connor what a player and a servant you have been to us and I wish you all the best, but you have peaked playing for the famous, nothing personal but I hope Notts Forest get fckd in the play off.

Disappointed if he goes. It will be extremely hard to replace him with a single CB. The guy is like Tav, just a beast of fitness. I can't see us not needing to platoon a couple of guys to get the same games as he plays. Put it this way, Balogun (if he stays), Soutar and Helander (if he stays) probably would not play Goldson's games total combined.

Wish him all the best, he knocked his pan in to bring us 55.

Was always going to leave us with a bit of a dilemma to find a centre half that matches his consistency and fitness.

It’s his choice, it’s not like we haven’t signed players in his situation before. The Goldson that I thought had downed tools at the start of the season I wouldn’t have missed, however the one that has been brilliant the rest of his time with us will be a huge loss. I’m sad he’s going. If it’s for family reasons then what else can we do? I wish him all the best. Just wish he would have stuck a foot out on wed night though.

Sorry lads, but he gives me the fear at times. I'm grateful for what he's done for us but have no regrets if he goes.

I take it going to Forest is just a rumor. I thought if he went anywhere it would be Villa.
If he does go he has my best wishes. He has been a great servant for our club and I can barely remember a game he has missed.

He's been a good servant to the club. If he's away to get £60k+ a week either aiming for playoffs or fighting EPL relegation alongside Worral and McKenna good luck to him. He will need it. I hope he doesn't wake up one day in the winter and think he didn't need the cash....
I understand exactly what you are saying but, playing devil's advocate, there are likely to be more days when he wakes up and thinks "I'm carrying a wee bit of an injury, thank fthe Lord I'm not playing on that plastic pitch at Livi or Killie".

This is incredibly simple.

He’s moving back to Birmingham way this summer to a new house so his family are settled as his oldest enters the school system and he’s near his own family. That’s the key driver.

The man’s been incredible for us. Played every game, never inured and through will power dragged us at times this season forward. I hope he leaves with that medal around his neck and returns to Ibrox one day when we fully appreciate his time with us.

A very good signing he has been for us and we will miss him. Hopefully we can upgrade but that won't be easy in the SPFL. He goes with my best wishes just ensure its after lifting the cup today.

My personal view is he’s a very good player but prone to the odd mistake sadly one of them was in the biggest game of his career.
Had a major disagreement with a mate who has never rated him and seems to have slipped into border line hatred of him and a few others in the current side.
Goldson isn’t a Gough or a Butcher or even Weir. He’s still a very decent player and I’ll be sorry to see him go my bigger concern is replacing him with a better or similar player. The board seem unable or unwilling to provide the funds required. Add in a DofF that hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory.

My personal view is he’s a very good player but prone to the odd mistake sadly one of them was in the biggest game of his career.
Had a major disagreement with a mate who has never rated him and seems to have slipped into border line hatred of him and a few others in the current side.
Goldson isn’t a Gough or a Butcher or even Weir. He’s still a very decent player and I’ll be sorry to see him go my bigger concern is replacing him with a better or similar player. The board seem unable or unwilling to provide the funds required. Add in a DofF that hasn’t exactly covered himself in glory.
While he may not be as good as those 3, they all made mistakes as well in big games. The knee jerk stuff is mad. He has been a feature in basically 4 years worth of games unbroken. Thats nigh on impossible to replace, a complete stroke of luck. We will need millions to get a player of his quality and constant availability.

Back