Succesful season

Do you consider this a successful season

• Yes

Votes: 1,076 81.0%
  • No

Votes: 253 19.0%

• Total voters
if we had won the EL then it'd had be the greatest season in my lifetime as a rangers fan, but we didn't, we're meant to be big time club and we are surppose to win big time games, and they did not come bigger than wed night, and we failed, whatever we felt on the way to that final, the end result was we lost, like Gio said, no one will remember who the losers were (outside us).
to class winning just the scottish cup as a sucessful season is not the Rangers I was brought up with. folks keep saying "remember were we came from" which is fair enough, but when do we leave that thinking behind and start thinking bigger and demand better on all fronts? is this season's run a fluke or do we as fans have the right to demand similar for next season?
A sucessful season for me going forward is winning the league and doing well in europe, not one or the other but both, I think Gio sees us as a club that should be consistant performers in europe year after year, and the league will take care of itself, this season I'll give him the leeway that this is not his team

Seems to be lost on a lot on here who are clouded by the final on Wednesday.

I was brought up on Rangers winning leagues and cups most seasons and a successful season is winning the league.

Winning the league isn’t ridiculously over the top expectations. It’s a must every season.
It’s not possible every season though is it?

It’s just completely unrealistic to sit there and expect the league to be delivered.

At some point these expectations need to be tempered with a wee bit of reality.

Reality like our transfer budget compared to theirs, our complete change in management, our injury list, the amount of games, the lack of a striker for months, the having to throw in a 22 year old LB to cover CB position because we ran out of options.

Saying aye but we are Rangers doesn’t entitle you to win the league or anything else.

It’s just completely unrealistic to sit there and expect the league to be delivered.

Reality like our transfer budget compared to theirs, our complete change in management, our injury list, the amount of games, the lack of a striker for months, the having to throw in a 22 year old LB to cover CB position because we ran out of options.

Saying aye but we are Rangers doesn’t entitle you to win the league or anything else.

We expected to win the league this year. We didn’t. Therefore it isn’t a successful season. SImple really.

At the start of every season our expectation is to win the league. Not one person on here would not have expected us to win the league this year.

We expected to win the league this year. We didn’t. Therefore it isn’t a successful season. SImple really.

At the start of every season our expectation is to win the league. Not one person on here would not have expected us to win the league this year.
Eeeeeh naw. Simplistic nonsense like that is just that. No facts taken into consideration, just no not good enough. Fûcking cloud cuckoo land.

Seems to be lost on a lot on here who are clouded by the final on Wednesday.

I was brought up on Rangers winning leagues and cups most seasons and a successful season is winning the league.
Gio understands the standard Rangers should be at, plus the dutch are like that anyway when it comes to football, I bet he sees it more the way you and I do, I'm very curious to see how our playing style may change when he gets his own players in with a full pre season for him to get his ideas across

It’s not possible every season of course, but if we just look at this season and how they started it, it’s incredibly disappointing to lose the league. It took a serious collapse on our part for that to happen.

Last edited:
Gio understands the standard Rangers should be at, plus the dutch are like that anyway when it comes to football, I bet he sees it more the way you and I do, I'm very curious to see how our playing style may change when he gets his own players in with a full pre season for him to get his ideas across

I think he does understand the standards at Rangers.

You can’t expect to win the league when you don’t have a transfer budget and nothing has been spent for two years, meanwhile the opposition are spunking millions consistently every year.

But naw we are Rangers we will win the league because anything else is failure. European final but don’t win it? Failure.

Lose entire coaching staff and have to bed in new staff with no money to spend, pushing the opposition all the way but just falling short? Failure.

Unbelievable.

Eeeeeh naw. Simplistic nonsense like that is just that. No facts taken into consideration, just no not good enough. Fûcking cloud cuckoo land.
I was also brought up on Rangers (mostly) winning leagues. But there were also some bad times.
And time have changed.
Scottish football then was not corrupt with rampant cheating (officials) and manipulation (admin) like it is now

You can’t expect to win the league when you don’t have a transfer budget and nothing has been spent for two years, meanwhile the opposition are spunking millions consistently every year.

But naw we are Rangers we will win the league because anything else is failure. European final but don’t win it? Failure.

Lose entire coaching staff and have to bed in new staff with no money to spend, pushing the opposition all the way but just falling short? Failure.

Unbelievable.

Ask any member of our squad and staff what the expectations are every season?

I bet it is to win the league. It always will be at Rangers.

Of course it is not possible every season but that doesn’t alter the fact that the expectation is to win the league.

Individual mistakes cost us the league this year. Motherwell twice, Ross County, Dundee Utd.

Cloud cuckoo land for expecting Rangers to win the league every season?

Maybe Rangers isn’t for you if that is your thoughts.
Aye cloud cuckoo land because there’s zero thought out into it and it’s simplistic pish.

Please explain how you can expect two sets of management, changed mid season, with no spend for two years, to win the league.

A couple of results away from being one of the best ever seasons. In fact, if we had won on Wednesday we would not have cared a jot about the league.

However, a European Final is absolutely massive, and the results and memories will live a long time. Leagues and cups can be won year on year, but getting a Euro run like that is extremely rare, and speaks more for the club and players than any domestic trophy could.

Still raw at the moment, but in time we will look back with great affection for this season, and for many of the players. They really went to the well in the run in to the season, and our failure to win more trophies was not down to a lack of desire, effort, or heart. In many seasons past, our points tally this year would have got us over line, and you also have to acknowledge the unbeaten run the yahoos went on, even if though they got a wee helping hand now and again on the way.

Its also worth noting that it is extremely difficult for a Scottish team to be successful both domestically and in Europe. In 1983, 1987, 2003, 2008, and now in 2022, none of the Scottish teams in European finals won the league that year.

Anyone voting no is either a lurker or has an IQ lower than Anton Rogan

Nah, thats pish. League should be the baseline. If we won in Europe, fair enough. But we didn't. This cup was a requirement after putting out the dark side.
Anyone who voted no needs their head looked at

Sorry, but this is a lot of pish. Standards have fallen.

Ask any member of our squad and staff what the expectations are every season?

I bet it is to win the league. It always will be at Rangers.

Of course it is not possible every season but that doesn’t alter the fact that the expectation is to win the league.

Individual mistakes cost us the league this year. Motherwell twice, Ross County, Dundee Utd.
And? So now we’re not allowed to drop any points whatsoever?

You do realise that Celtic hadn’t lost a game since September and that our league record this season is still tremendous? Again I’ll stress the point that we haven’t bought a player in two years while they splashed the cash.

“Nope. They didn’t win every game. Sack them all and bring in new ones”. It doesn’t work like that.

Aye cloud cuckoo land because there’s zero thought out into it and it’s simplistic pish.

Please explain how you can expect two sets of management, changed mid season, with no spend for two years, to win the league.

Why would I not expect to win the league at the start of the season? We were miles ahead of them at the start of the season. There was no crystal ball to know Gerrard was going to fvck off mid season. Our squad should have been improved last year, yes but it was not going to change my expectation of winning the league. It was and still is good enough to win the league and we should have.

Our season was not a success. anyone who think it is should fvck off and watch Dundee or the likes. Rangers isn’t for them.

Nah, thats pish. League should be the baseline. If we won in Europe, fair enough. But we didn't. This cup was a requirement after putting out the dark side.

Sorry, but this is a lot of pish. Standards have fallen.
Standards do tend to take a dip when you’re unceremoniously papped down to the lowest division and have no money.

You do realise that Celtic hadn’t lost a game since September and that our league record this season is still tremendous? Again I’ll stress the point that we haven’t bought a player in two years while they splashed the cash.

“Nope. They didn’t win every game. Sack them all and bring in new ones”. It doesn’t work like that.

So you think the Scottish Cup is a successful season?

What? Where did I say we’re not allowed to drop points? It’s football. It happens.

Our league form is not tremendous. After the winter break we won 3 out of the first 8 games. That form is absolutely woeful.

Who the fvck is saying sack them? We fell short, it happens in football. That does not mean our expectations of winning the league doesn’t stand up.

Our signings and Ross Wilson is for another matter. It does not mean we dont expect to win the league.

Standards do tend to take a dip when you’re unceremoniously papped down to the lowest division and have no money.

We have been back in the league for a good few years now and we’re reigning champions. The expectations was to win the league again. Every single member of the squad would say the same.

Why would I not expect to win the league at the start of the season? We were miles ahead of them at the start of the season. There was no crystal ball to know Gerrard was going to fvck off mid season. Our squad should have been improved last year, yes but it was not going to change my expectation of winning the league. It was and still is good enough to win the league and we should have.

Our season was not a success. anyone who think it is should fvck off and watch Dundee or the likes. Rangers isn’t for them.
No reasoning whatsoever. Just total pish. Utter garbage.

So you think the Scottish Cup is a successful season?
And you think that a European final when against Leipzig for example we fielded 15 players that cost a total of £12m, when three of their players get paid more than that each per season, is a failure?

Another "success" of this season is that we've seen just how together this team are and how much character they have.

For ages they've been questioned about whether they could play in front of fans or handle pressure etc. I think they've proven that time and time again. Not just that, but their self belief and fitness levels are astounding - especially in the games where we played extra time twice in the space of a week and still overran our opponents.

No reasoning whatsoever. Just total pish. Utter garbage.

What??

We were the champions with a strong squad and laughing our asses off at the fat ausie saying we never stop!

How you can think this was a successful season is beyond me. Yes we had great euro nights, but at the end of the day we got beat.

And you think that a European final when against Leipzig for example we fielded 15 players that cost a total of £12m, when three of their players get paid more than that each per season, is a failure?
It was glorious failure. We went beyond what I could ever imagine in the Europa League, but we failed to win it.

Winning just the Scottish Cup is not classed as a successful season for Rangers.

Mate, I am not saying we didn't e joy a great run in Europe.

But not winning the league from a position of strength is a travesty.

We should have won the league, and the Scottish cup being the only trophy is not really ever a successful Rangers season domestically

However this was my favourite ever season in Europe, the nights at Ibrox where unbelievable, I genuinely wonder if the Leipzig match will ever be topped. Wednesday felt like Rangers were the centre of the footballing universe for the day, it was surreal, just amazing and the team took it all the way, despite some of the bizarre takes and hyperbole we seen on here, they never let us down.

More than that, the fans have enhanced Rangers reputation way more than I ever thought was possible, to take that number of fans abroad, there be no arrests and no trouble and creating an atmosphere in the City that had every neutral who witnessed it praising us to the rooftops was just brilliant.

So was this season a success, of course it was, we’ll remember this season forever.

What??

We were the champions with a strong squad and laughing our assets off at the fat ausie saying we never stop!

How you can think this was a successful season is beyond me. Yes we had great euro nights, but at the end of the day we got beat.
just no leeway to let new management and coaching staff to settle in.

The team won before so regardless of style all the players are expected to win even though they don’t know the new manager’s tactics.

No budget or time to bring in players that might suit that style.

Mental

Another "success" of this season is that we've seen just how together this team are and how much character they have.

For ages they've been questioned about whether they could play in front of fans or handle pressure etc. I think they've proven that time and time again. Not just that, but their self belief and fitness levels are astounding - especially in the games where we played extra time twice in the space of a week and still overran our opponents.

I’m not doubting the squad. They were excellent in Europe. They went beyond what I could ever imagine, gave me great nights in Europe, but we didnt win it. We lost the league too. The period after the winter break cost us. 3 wins in 8 is not good enough. It cost us in 19/20 too. We should have won it but for silly individual mistakes and injuries to key players this season.

Player for player, you wouldn’t take many of their players over ours. But they won the league. That is not a successful season for me.

Mate, I am not saying we didn't e joy a great run in Europe.

But not winning the league from a position of strength is a travesty.
Your argument is that Gio had zero time or money to implement new style or tactics, training and fitness regime, just that the players had won before so they’re expected to win again regardless of the circumstances.

Your argument is that Gio had zero time or money to implement new style or tactics, training and fitness regime, just that the players had won before so they’re expected to win again regardless of the circumstances.

What are you going on about? Nobody here is questioning Gio with style, tactics etc.

The season can not be classed as a success when we didnt win the league. That the fact of the matter with Rangers.

just no leeway to let new management and coaching staff to settle in.

The team won before so regardless of style all the players are expected to win even though they don’t know the new manager’s tactics.

No budget or time to bring in players that might suit that style.

Mental

Mate, last I'm going to reply to this. But I know we have been through the ringer. We also won the league at a canter last season. We paid the price for our European success this season. We dropped far too many points after the forced break.

However, the fact remains that we lost the league to a bang average poet team from a very strong position. Yes if we had won in Europe who cares! But we never!

The Scottish Cup is not a successful season for Rangers. End of!

It was glorious failure. We went beyond what I could ever imagine in the Europa League, but we failed to win it.

Winning just the Scottish Cup is not classed as a successful season for Rangers.
Too much of a simplification in your contention.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from, the problem is that you have arrived in a different decade and haven't yet adjusted.

This season has given us something that we needed within the bigger picture of where we have been, where we are in the world at present, and where we hope to make the next step forward.

Could it have been better?
Yes of course.
But is it a huge step forward and does it give us a substantial platform to continue our rise?
100%.

However, his close season will be very telling in whether we can make yet another leap forward from a considerably hard-fought and well-won platform of consolidation as a top European club and not just a Scottish trophy winner, which is something that Filth FC never managed to accomplish in the near-decade of our absence.

No I am not!

All I am saying is that only the Scottish Cup is not a successful season for Rangers FFS!

I know where ur coming from m8, but can u not see how close we were to greatness?
Of course! I’m devastated that we didn’t win on Wednesday and I can barely think about it.

It was still an incredible against all odds way to get there and by no means a failure. Anything but that.

Of course! I’m devastated that we didn’t win on Wednesday and I can barely think about it.

It was still an incredible against all odds way to get there and by no means a failure. Anything but that.
I know m8 sorry for that im still feeling down from it lol

Your clutching here. Read what has been posted. I'm not saying that!

This season was not successful.

It could have been, but it wasn't!
Tbh I think we’re talking about similar things and just using different terms. Just depends on what you would call a success.

On paper it’s not a successful year because we only won the SC, though that doesn’t mean you didn’t enjoy it.

Whereas

I’m saying it was successful because we got to a European final, raised the profile of the club and the players significantly which could and will bring in a whole load of much needed money.

We unearthed an absolute gem in Bassey, who will either only get better with us or sell for a huge price.

We’ve also had the most successful financial year in the club’s history.

That’s a pretty successful season too.

So let’s agree to disagree.

Tbh I think we’re talking about similar things and just using different terms. Just depends on what you would call a success.

On paper it’s not a successful year because we only won the SC, though that doesn’t mean you didn’t enjoy it.

Whereas

I’m saying it was successful because we got to a European final, raised the profile of the club and the players significantly which could and will bring in a whole load of much needed money.

We unearthed an absolute gem in Bassey, who will either only get better with us or sell for a huge price.

We’ve also had the most successful financial year in the club’s history.

That’s a pretty successful season too.

So let’s agree to disagree.
Mate, this has been my favourite season I can remember. Only my passport being out of date stopped me spending a fortune I can't afford to dream with the rest of us in Saville!

Lots of successes over the season I would agree. Just not the main one, or the second main one.

I think we can both agree that we are proud of the European campaign, but will just need to wait till next time! B-D

Got to a European final for only the fifth time in our history playing some of the best football I have seen Rangers play. Knocked out the favourites. No element of luck and thoroughly deserved to be confident going into the final. Inches away from clinching it at the end of extra time. Missed one penalty in the shoot out to lose. I get the league wss a disappointment but ref decisions and some of the dross teams rolling over for them largey cost us that.
It was a season to remember and will be talked about 50 years from now
More than a success

Got to a European final for only the fifth time in our history playing some of the best football I have seen Rangers play. Knocked out the favourites. No element of luck and thoroughly deserved to be confident going into the final. Inches away from clinching it at the end of extra time. Missed one penalty in the shoot out to lose. I get the league wss a disappointment but ref decisions and some of the dross teams rolling over for them largey cost us that.
It was a season to remember and will be talked about 50 years from now
More than a success
Absolutely m8 we were just one or two decent kicks away from winning the thing. And to think where we were just 4 years ago!

The league cup semi final and those weeks where we lost the league very quickly with a whimper were a rare flashback to painful years past.

The europa league run has been unbelievable but nobody can sit here and pretend it hasn’t been sandwiched in amongst another embarrassment of a domestic season.

The best judge of a good season is how much bragging rights we have, I don’t feel we have that at all personally.

The players and staff have been a credit to our club this season so I only blame our lack of funding, not the board just the simple reality that we can’t spend £20m like Celtic have.

Completely disagree.

They won the league and not even their fans cared as they were so worried about our game in Seville.

As many people have said in years gone by. Success at Rangers is measured in trophies. 1 trophy and throwing away the league makes it a failure this season.

So by your reckoning winning the League Cup would be better than getting to the Europa League Final?

Back