Jurgen Klopp.Yay Or Nay

He's turned into an arsehole over the past couple of years but what a incredible manager he is. When he leaves he will be remembered with the greats at Liverpool... Absolutely rejuvenated the football club and made them consistent winners again for the first time in my lifetime.

I never said he was a failure.

How can a guy who has taken them to 4 European finals(and BTW check the starting XI of that Europa League final team in 2016 compared to what he's built now), made them champions of England, Europe and then the world be considered "somewhere in the middle" ?

Love him or hate him Klopp has a core group of players who 'would run through a brick wall' for him. You can tell at the end of games how close the players are to him and how much he protects them. The fans seem to love him and he has brought regular success to Liverpool that had gone awry over 30 years.

I think he comes across a genuine manager in interviews and is a breath of fresh air from the staid, rote, pre planned answers of many dull managers.

Yes, on the downside I think he could dress up in suit and tie for finals but it seems to be becoming more common practice I.e. Pep Guardiola is a trackie manager and not suited and booted too. Klopp didn't seem to wear a suit for or during the FA Cup Final which I found disappointing. That just adds to be the continued dumbing down of the FA Cup Final e.g changed KO time and all that which is a shame.

Is the guy that ended a near 30 year wait for a title, and has his team consistently challenging for honours on all fronts a success? Yeh I’d say so.

From where the club are now though, he really needs another league title.
Consistently challenging but not consistently winning.

Best team in Europe and all that.

Good manager, reasonable success at Liverpool, but has changed from being a really nice guy to a moaning faced scouser.

I like him. His comments last night weren’t great. A terrific manager and if he was anywhere else I would wish him well. The club he manages are not my cup of tea and that I think turns a fair few against him almost immediately. I think his team will push Man City all the way again. They fell short by 1 point. They are a terrific side who play great football. I would say that was down to him. He has been a success in my view.

Consistently challenging but not consistently winning.

Best team in Europe and all that.
The question was, has he been a success. They were nowhere near the league bar a couple of seasons out off 30 before he arrived.
I’m no Liverpool fan, but Klopp has transformed them.

How can a guy who has taken them to 4 European finals(and BTW check the starting XI of that Europa League final team in 2016 compared to what he's built now), made them champions of England, Europe and then the world be considered "somewhere in the middle" ?
Because he has spent an absolute fortune and won the same amount of league titles as Leicester City.
If we had a manager who won 4 trophies in 7 years in a 2 horse race then I reckon a few would be questioning him

He's done a magnificent job at Liverpool. They were so unlucky not to win the league title again last season, but will be pushing for it again next. Again, so desperately unlucky last night as well. He's one of the best in managers in football at the moment and I like him and his management style a lot.

Because he has spent an absolute fortune and won the same amount of league titles as Leicester City.
If we had a manager who won 4 trophies in 7 years in a 2 horse race then I reckon a few would be questioning him

You keep saying four trophies. He's won six.

Brilliant if he is your teams manager.

Easy to dislike by every other teams fans.

You keep saying four trophies. He's won six.
Super cup is basically a glorified charity shield although I suppose the world club can be rated highly.
I doubt the club spent all that money to win a super cup though.
In England they have to finish above one team and they will win the league.Domestically is where I would judge him

He has won as many Premier League titles as Leicester.
Is that really your argument for him not being a success? He’s improved Liverpool every season he’s been there, they are now challenging at the very top of every competition they are in.

So 63% of the Liverpool squad has asthma

that’s interesting…… would like to see how that compares to other teams

Is that really your argument for him not being a success? He’s improved Liverpool every season he’s been there, they are now challenging at the very top of every competition they are in.
Won the league 2 years ago and the champions league 4 years ago I think.
A League cup and an FA Cup this year wouldn't suggest they were improving.Standing still maybe.
If City bring in Haaland and Chelsea start spending again they will drop further back.
Always bear in mind a Liverpool manager will be judged against Bob Paisley and he's not at that level yet

Won the league 2 years ago and the champions league 4 years ago I think.
A League cup and an FA Cup this year wouldn't suggest they were improving.Standing still maybe.
If City bring in Haaland and Chelsea start spending again they will drop further back.
Always bear in mind a Liverpool manager will be judged against Bob Paisley and he's not at that level yet
Your at it, they took city to the last game, and reached the champs league final this season also, you asked the question success or failure, and he’s been success.

Does every Rangers manager get compared to Bill Struth? And if they don’t reach that level they are a failure?

Your talking absolute pish now.

Klopp's net spent at Liverpool is £115 million Pep's at City is £563 million that's a huge difference
That is incredible maybe thats why hes so unpopular on here, much better manager, id be surprised if Pep, Gerrard, Conte or anyone else has not had a moan at the refs or whatever it might be after dropping some points.

Hes no sexy enough for sky sports thats the problem here.:)

Your at it, they took city to the last game, and reached the champs league final this season also, you asked the question success or failure, and he’s been success.

Does every Rangers manager get compared to Bill Struth? And if they don’t reach that level they are a failure?

Your talking absolute pish now.
If I was a Liverpool supporter I would expect a few more trophies than those he has already won.Dont think that's talking pish

Liverpool have finished with over 90 points 3 out of the past 4 years. They’ve literally never done that in their entire history.

It isn’t even in question.

(They won the league with 90 in ‘88).

Kinda irrelevant stat though, it's like the tims claiming to be better than us in Europe this year because they finished on 9 points in their group whilst we had 8.

FWIW I think the EPL is as weak as it has been in a long time. Man Utd are shite, Arsenal meh, Spurs meh, the rest are rank rotten.

In 7 seasons at Liverpool he has won a Champions League,Premier League,FA Cup and a League Cup.
Is he classed as a success or a failure?
For me he is somewhere in the middle
Hard one. I'd say a moderate success, given the scousers hadn't won a league since 1990. Winning the Champions League and reaching 2 other CL finals isn't to be sniffed at either. When u consider what he has spent compared to City, it's actually an achievement to be up with them in the EPL.

It's not exactly on Klopp that Barca wanted to buy him for a stupid amount? No, that's on Barca. He improved under Klopp, Barca wanted him sl they spent a fortune to get him and Klopp used the money to make 2 big purchases.

Simple for even the thickest.
The irony of this is tremendous tbh. Cheers for that. You’d no doubt credit Neil Lennon for Celtic making a killing on poppadom hips.

Coutinho’s output was quite consistent in his time there, Klopp did improve the team around him which will have done a world of good like it does for any player in any team. But Barcelona paid well over the odds (I think everything Countinho’s done since then proves this, I mean he was at Villa this season) just as they’ve done with Dembele, Griezmann, De Jong, Pjanic, Paulinho, Gomez and Lenglet in recent times.

Those players cost a combined total of about £600m. There’s a trend there isn’t there? That’s why that club have been infamous for paying well over the odds for players. So unless Klopp was doing the negotiations, that’s not really on him, and a lot more to do with the mismanagement of a club who’re now in deep shit on account of their careless overspending.

Last edited:
If I was a Liverpool supporter I would expect a few more trophies than those he has already won.Dont think that's talking pish
What trophies do you he should have won? Maybe the Europa league against Sevilla the other times he's finished second in the EPL City have had absolutely outstanding seasons as have Liverpool and two Champions League final defeats against Real Madrid who don't lose many CL finals

He's been an enormous success.

The only reason the Premier League isn't full on Bundesliga is because of him. The limitless budget of City has left everyone else in the dust and they would have easily won 5 in a row, but Klopp has managed to keep it from getting out of hand.

If it weren’t for Klopp, the EPL would be as competitive as the French or German leagues as Man City would be romping it every season without a challenge.

The guy is a top coach, one of the best in the world.

Look at the money Man Utd and Chelsea have spent as well. You can say City have all this money but it's not like they're the only ones. Difference is they have a top manager and usually spend it wisely.

Look at the money Man Utd and Chelsea have spent as well. You can say City have all this money but it's not like they're the only ones. Difference is they have a top manager and usually spend it wisely.
Chelsea have had recent success a title and a CL win

City will rightfully get more stick now because of that ridiculous Grealish deal. But until then Mahrez and De Bruyne were their top buys at around £60m, now looking back that KDB deal looks like peanuts given the contribution he’s made.

But, say Guardiola sold him for £150-200m a couple of years ago, and replaced him with another player for around the £50-60m mark (which until Grealish is about as much as they spend on a single player), does that suddenly make Guardiola a far better coach because a massive sale like that looks better for his ‘net spend’? I mean it’s not as if City would have stopped winning either because as brilliant as KDB is he’s injured quite a lot, even this season, and generally Guardiola still manages to keep them winning even without him, and he’s proven quite adept and finding good players for less than the £80-£150m fees other clubs have been known the throw around.

Add to that, it’s not as though KDB has transformed since moving to City, he was outstanding for Wolfsburg and his quality was clear. But the logic being used by some for Klopp says all of the above would suddenly make Guardiola even greater.

Last edited:
What trophies do you he should have won? Maybe the Europa league against Sevilla the other times he's finished second in the EPL City have had absolutely outstanding seasons as have Liverpool and two Champions League final defeats against Real Madrid who don't lose many CL finals

I think part of Liverpool's problem last night was that they thought all they had to do was turn up and it'd be a scoosh. Look at Salah's comments beforehand when he was going on about how he's out for revenge. Look at all the media saying how it'd be a comfortable win etc.

Real beat PSG, Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool. If that doesn't make them the best in Europe I don't know what does.

Suppose Liverpool beating Inter, Benfica and Villarreal is up there though.

Look at it this way.Steven Gerrard won us the league and got our credibility back in Europe with some cracking results.
Even then there were plenty on here saying that we needed to win a few cups as well.
Now it depends what reports you believe but there are some that reckon Klopp has spent close on £700m.For that I would expect the odd FA Cup and League Cup at the very least

The question was, has he been a success. They were nowhere near the league bar a couple of seasons out off 30 before he arrived.
I’m no Liverpool fan, but Klopp has transformed them.
Not saying he's not made progress, he's brought them on massively.

Success is measured by trophies for these clubs and consistently nearly getting there isn't being successful.

Back