Jurgen Klopp.Yay Or Nay

Klopp's net spent at Liverpool is £115 million Pep's at City is £563 million that's a huge difference
I don’t get why ‘net spend’ suddenly a thing though on the topic of Klopp? It’s never trotted out in any other discussion.

Because the club get good money for their players, including one astronomical fee for a player he never signed, that makes Klopp better? If he was constantly flogging his own players for big money and rebuilding I’d get it, but that’s not exactly what happens.

Still won 2/3 trophies this season up against the most expensive squad ever assembled. Quality manager.

He does seem to be a massive “nearly man” though.

Liverpool have sold players to balance the books, Coutinho being the best example. They have also still had money to reinvest in Anfield. They are not a sovereign wealth fund like City or Newcastle or a club with near endless loans like Chelsea (although that has nicely come to an end)

It doesn’t matter where they’re getting the money, the fact remains he’s signing 75 mill defenders, 67 mill goalkeepers and a few midfielders costing over 50 mill that don’t get a game. He’s spent an insane amount of money in Liverpool but yet nobody will call out the money he’s spent to get Liverpool to where they are like they do with Guardiola.

I don’t get why ‘net spend’ suddenly a thing though on the topic of Klopp? It’s never trotted out in any other discussion.

Because the club get good money for their players, including one astronomical fee for a player he never signed, that makes Klopp better? If he was constantly flogging his own players for big money and rebuilding I’d get it, but that’s not exactly what happens.
It shows how good a job he's done Pep has a massive advantage he can spend what he likes the FFP rules don't apply to City

In 7 seasons at Liverpool he has won a Champions League,Premier League,FA Cup and a League Cup.
Is he classed as a success or a failure?
For me he is somewhere in the middle
Twice they have finished 2nd having won more than 90 points. This season they lost 2 of 38 matches in the league. That's exceptionally unlucky.

Hes an incredible manager

Its a weird one. Sometimes I think hes brilliant sometimes he comes across as an arrogant arse

But you cant deny what a brilliant job hes done. Fine margins tonight
Courtois was the difference tonight. It happens, but Klopp is a tremendous manager. We adore Bassey at 22 years old. Klopp has TAA and Kounate at roughly the same age. He isn't scared to put young players into the limelight. Many managers at that level wouldn't.

That's like the media asking if Gerrard was a success at Rangers. Only won 1 trophy in 9. The context is how shit we were before he pitched up and how far off it Liverpool were when Klopp pitched up there.

That being said, I think he's reaching the threshold where either he'll need to freshen up the team or they'll need to hear a fresh manager's voice pretty soon.
St Johnstone were no world beaters and still won two cups.

Guardiola would have won a lot more with that Liverpool side.

BO ridden manky Klopp flatters to deceive. Been given an obscene amount of cash to play with over the past 8 years and yet everyone acts like he’s uncovered hidden gems.

The blind eye that gets turned to his insane spending at Liverpool compared to Guardiola at City being criticised is pathetic.
An aunty/baws scenario there. Pointless

Klopp has obviously been backed well. But not even close to the spending of city/United... prob even Chelsea.

In 7 seasons at Liverpool he has won a Champions League,Premier League,FA Cup and a League Cup.
Considering the team he took over and what he’s built it’s a yes.

Was tactically inferior to the eyebrow tonight. Klopp rarely changes set ups, just personnel
I could honestly see where Gerrard got it from tonight.

From 25 minutes on, when Real Madrid switched it, the game was like watching us vs killie/hearts in 2018/19/20

About a thousand shots with nothing to show for it, horrific set pieces, like for like subs on 65 & 80 and to sum it up, the opposition gets one chance from a defensive lapse and they win.

He’s been unreal for Liverpool considering where they’ve been for the last 30 odd years. If it wasn’t for Saudi money they’d have a few more league titles as well.

Some of the takes here are bonkers, even by FF standards
It looks like a dislike for Liverpool as a club that just morphs into a dislike for their manager. If big Jurgen fancies a go at the bears after Liverpool and Gio is off would we say ummmm no thanks?

Never gonna happen in case anyone thinks I'm daft enough to think it could.

It looks like a dislike for Liverpool as a club that just morphs into a dislike for their manager. If big Jurgen fancies a go at the bears after Liverpool and Gio is off would we say ummmm no thanks?

Never gonna happen in case anyone thinks I'm daft enough to think it could.
If he wont wear a suit and brown brogues he can do one.

Champions League final and hes cutting about in a trackie and baseball cap.

They can't beat any of the teams around them in the league. A single win against the "top four" in England this season and they win the title.

They can't score in finals. Three finals this year, no goals.

An aging, creaking squad that needs a massive rebuild.

Stocks high, he could get another decent gig if he walked.

They can't beat any of the teams around them in the league. A single win against the "top four" in England this season and they win the title.

They can't score in finals. Three finals this year, no goals.

An aging, creaking squad that needs a massive rebuild.

Stocks high, he could get another decent gig if he walked.
Fucking hell

PSG gig's open.
Aye go there and let Mbappe be your boss. He’s been brilliant for Liverpool and transformed them and came up short in two title races to a world class City team where his point total would’ve seen the title won by April in any other era

Aye go there and let Mbappe be your boss. He’s been brilliant for Liverpool and transformed them and came up short in two title races to a world class City team where his point total would’ve seen the title won by April in any other era
He knows one way of playing, which fits PSG right now.

He's done pretty much all he can with this Liverpool team, it's all downhill from here. There wont be external investment, he's got an aging squad that he's been hesitant to break up, he's a great motivator but not a great manager and there is a major shake-up behind the scenes with Michael Edwards going.

I'd be getting out whilst the getting out is good. He could get found out pretty badly next season with a recruitment mess in a crucial summer.

Hard to say. They have been up against an opponent that has spent more than any other in world football and who, as a result, have been able to field strong sides in all competitions. Liverpool have gradually built to the situation they are now in but they still don’t have £50m reserves.

His record of 1 win in 4 European finals is not good enough.
Completely overlooking the mere fact that he has reached 4 European finals!

How many has Pep reached with the biggest chequebook in world football?

One. And he lost it.

Put Pep in charge of a side like Spurs and Man Utd right now, then we’ll see how good he is.

Its a weird one. Sometimes I think hes brilliant sometimes he comes across as an arrogant arse

But you cant deny what a brilliant job hes done. Fine margins tonight

You can be brilliant and arrogant at the same time. His constant griping and complaining is likely about creating an "us against the world" mentality in his squad, but it doesn't make it any less tiresome to listen to.

He's built a very good Liverpool team that's coming to the end of its cycle, with some players looking like they'll be moving on in the next 12 months. As much as some might argue they "should have won more," I don't think just any manager could have gotten Liverpool over the line of ending their wait for a league title. And although some of the teams around them - Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea - haven't been as strong domestically in recent years, he has been up against a fantastic Man City team coached by a fantastic manager.

Liverpool were almost never in contention for the league when he joined them. Don't see how anyone couldn't see him as a success. Nobody can win everything, him & Pep are top managers & it's sad that people use any bad result to detract from their success when they are both serial winners

Completely overlooking the mere fact that he has reached 4 European finals!

How many has Pep reached with the biggest chequebook in world football?

One. And he lost it.

Put Pep in charge of a side like Spurs and Man Utd right now, then we’ll see how good he is.
He got Barca B promoted without spending any money. It's clear how players improve under him. Only a blind man couldn't see that he's a top coach.

Also worth noting Man It's have spent just as much as Man City, money doesn't guarantee success

Same goes for Klopp. Its a sad British trait that we like to build people up only to tear them down

He sold Coutinho for a record breaking amount to fund it though.

Hardly oil money to chuck about willy nilly
Liverpool sold Coutinho, a player signed pre-Klopp, for a daft amount of money to a daft club (famed for blowing astronomical amounts of money) who’d just received an astronomical fee for Neymar. That’s not exactly on Klopp is it?

Liverpool’s top 10 signings. All signed by Klopp apart from two (Benteke, whom they also got brilliant fee for when sold, and Firminho). Then you’ve got the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain for£35m. But these don’t count because the club mugged Barca off for Coutinho, mugged Palace off for Benteke at £30m, and managed to flog the likes of Ings and fecking Solanke for a combined £40m?

1. Virgil van Dijk - £76.2m

2. Alisson - £56.3m​

3. Naby Keita - £54m​

4. Luis Diaz - £50m​

5. Christian Benteke - £41.8m​

6. Fabinho - £40.5m​

7. Diogo Jota - £40m​

8. Mohamed Salah - £37.8m​

9. Sadio Mane - £37m​

10. Roberto Firmino - £36.9m​

Not exactly scraping the bottom of the barrel are they? I get why people don’t like City and the like but banging on about them being untouchable in the transfer market when they outbid that very club for their star defender shows a very Timmy-like grasp on reality.

Even beyond the above, what is it that puts Klopp at the top? Guardiola’s spent more? Yeah well he’s also won more. I could see the argument for Klopp if he was spending less and actually winning a comparable number of trophies to Guardiola, but he’s not. It all seems to stem from the fact that Klopp’s made 3 CL finals with Liverpool, this years effort being the easiest route to a final you’ll likely to see. But that’s cup football isn’t it? There’s always an event of luck. Avram Grant did what Mourinho couldn’t do and got Chelsea to a final, Robert Di Matteo got them to a final and actually won it against a Jupp Heynckes Bayern side, and Pochettino took Spurs to a final. Wouldn’t say that makes them elite coaches either.

Anyway Klopp’s obviously brilliant, he’s obviously been a success, but the net spend bollocks is hilarious.

He got Barca B promoted without spending any money. It's clear how players improve under him. Only a blind man couldn't see that he's a top coach.

Same goes for Klopp. Its a sad British trait that we like to build people up only to tear them down
He’s a top coach, but he’s only ever been at the top club in each country he’s managed in.

Went to Bayern, couldn’t win the CL.

Went to Man City, couldn’t win the CL.

Won the CL with Barcelona, but in truth it would have been harder not to.

Oddly enough the only other team you hear mentioning it is Celtic.

Shite cl final tbh. Jurgen Klopp just annoys me, I want to see a team not expected to win it. We could've beat Madrid twice in a year ffs they weren't that good. I'm not pissed off or anything.... Haha

He’s a top coach, but he’s only ever been at the top club in each country he’s managed in.

Went to Bayern, couldn’t win the CL.

Went to Man City, couldn’t win the CL.

Won the CL with Barcelona, but in truth it would have been harder not to.
That Barca team came third or 4th the season before he took over & he had them playing lightyears above anyone else. People say it was impossible not to win with the players he had, but he coached him into being that good. Nobody went on about Xavi & Iniesta before Pep coached them. Look at Sterling, people laughed at Man City for spending that money on him, but Pep helped him take his game to another level.

You slag him for only being at top clubs, but doesn't the fact all the top clubs want him tell you something? Doubt he's going to go to a rubbish club just to prove a point to the Rt. Hon. Bearman!

So basically the same as Tuchel, Guardiola, Benitez, Mourinho, Ferguson, Simeone, Conte and pretty much any top level coach?

Dunno why Klopp has to be judged differently.

Because everyone makes out like Klopp is this happy go lucky type whereas he's a bit of a helmet. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but just don't make him out to be something he's not.

Oddly enough the only other team you hear mentioning it is Celtic.
Unless Klopp’s the one at the negotiation table mugging clubs off for players like that, I don’t really see how that should even be a factor.

Back